PDA

View Full Version : The man with tickets in Packerland

Brando19
07-22-2007, 12:30 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/22/sports/football/22cheers.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Doug Burris, a lifelong Green Bay Packers fan, paid for his season tickets in May. He sent the team a check — for $147,000.

The most popular couple in Shawano, Wis: Doug Burris and his wife, Beverly, have over the years accumulated 331 season tickets to Green Bay Packers games at Lambeau Field.

“I’ve been a Packers fan since the team played at the old City Stadium back in the 1950s,” said Burris, 67, who lives in Shawano, Wis. “Whenever the Packers played, I wanted to be there.”

These days, he can take 330 people with him.

Burris, a land developer, owns quite a bit of real estate at Lambeau Field, 331 season tickets, which makes him the most popular man in Shawano — population 8,730 — especially at this time of year. The Packers, who open training camp Saturday, have a waiting list for season tickets of 74,500 fans. Lambeau Field seats 72,928, according to the team.

“Pretty soon, the phone will start ringing again nonstop,” Burris said. “When business is really popping, I’ll get between 40 and 50 calls a day.”

When Lambeau Field, then known as the new City Stadium, opened on the west side of Green Bay in 1957, a bistro in Shawano named Stan & Bud’s, which had distributed tickets for the team since the 1920s, bought 350 season tickets.

In 1980 Burris purchased four tickets from Stan & Bud’s. Eleven years later, he purchased Stan & Bud’s.

As part of the deal to buy the bistro, which is now called The Home Stretch, Burris received 331 of the 350 tickets controlled by the previous owners.

“The tickets were the reason I bought the place,” Burris said. “As deals go, it wasn’t a bad one.”

Burris, a father of five who has been married to his wife, Beverly, for 37 years, said he enjoyed doing business with an extended family of Packers fans who live in New York, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, South Dakota, Michigan, Iowa and Texas, and any other state with transplanted cheeseheads.

“I don’t advertise, it’s all word-of-mouth,” said Burris, who charges anywhere from $140 to $500 a ticket depending on Green Bay’s opponent. “There are a lot of Packers fans out there, so I never have to worry about tickets going unsold.”

Six years ago, Packers season-ticket holders were asked to pay a one-time fee of $1,400 a ticket to cover the cost of renovating Lambeau Field. Fans that did not pay the fee had their season tickets revoked.

That year, Burris sent the Packers a check for the one-time fee of $463,400, spreading the cost among his clientele. “Mostly all of my customers paid the fee,” he said. “People who didn’t were quickly replaced.”

Burris’s seats sell at face values of $59 (end zone), $64 (end zone to the 20-yard line) and $69 (from the 20 toward the center of the field). For the tickets he sets aside to sell on a week-to-week basis, customers, including his children and five grandchildren, have until a week before game time to decide on purchasing tickets before they are offered to someone next in line.

“It’s a business,” he said. “My kids understand that.”

Doug Nicholson, the owner of the Ivanhoe Pub & Eatery in Racine, Wis., has purchased large amounts of tickets from Burris the past five years. Nicholson purchased 50 tickets — at $140 a ticket — for the home finale Dec. 30 against the Detroit Lions.

“I’ll raffle off the tickets during the season, and those who win will all go to the game together by bus,” Nicholson said. “Everyone wants those tickets because it could be Brett Favre’s last game.”

In recent years, Burris has fielded several offers for his entire ticket package, including a $1 million offer from the owner of a sports bar in Green Bay. Burris turned him down.

“The one-time fee I paid is refundable to anyone who gives back their season tickets, so that meant the offer was really more like a half-million dollars,” he said.

“It doesn’t matter anyway, because I’m a die-hard Packers fan, and I worked too hard to get my tickets to ever want to give them up.”

GBRulz
07-22-2007, 02:31 PM
I remember this guy on an interview back when the renovation was going on and the ticket holders had to pay the $1400 per ticket license. He was totally whining about it.

The article says he charges anywhere from $100 - $500 per ticket. So, let's say on average he makes $100 per ticket each game. Each game he makes over $350k x 10 games = 3.5 mil a year in profit.

I don't know what others think, but I see way too many season ticket holders who simply have their tickets to churn a profit. They don't even attend games. That is their right, but is it right for 1 person to have 300+ season tickets? Especially when there are only about 16,000 season tickets to go around? The rest of the seats go to the media, visiting team, the NFL, etc.

packinpatland
07-22-2007, 02:36 PM
I remember this guy on an interview back when the renovation was going on and the ticket holders had to pay the $1400 per ticket license. He was totally whining about it.

The article says he charges anywhere from $100 - $500 per ticket. So, let's say on average he makes $100 per ticket each game. Each game he makes over $350k x 10 games = 3.5 mil a year in profit.

I don't know what others think, but I see way too many season ticket holders who simply have their tickets to churn a profit. They don't even attend games. That is their right, but is it right for 1 person to have 300+ season tickets? Especially when there are only about 16,000 season tickets to go around? The rest of the seats go to the media, visiting team, the NFL, etc.

Why is this not considered scalping?

Guess I'm jealous of anyone who has 1 ticket, let alone 300+, seems a bit greedy.

GBRulz
07-22-2007, 02:39 PM
well, PIP, it is scalping, but there are no laws against that. Unless you are on the Lambeau grounds, that is. Ticket scalping in the City of GB is illegal. Which is why you find all your ticket scalpers across the street in "scalpers alley", which is Ashwaubenon. No scalping laws there.

MJZiggy
07-22-2007, 02:46 PM
***sigh*** I guess when you ask yourself who you gotta sleep with to get tickets to the game, you now have your answer. I thought he said he charges face value for the tickets and any extra money was supposed to pay for the seat licenses...that's just how I read it, but I agree with GBR. I hate it when people have season tickets for no other reason than just to make a buck. They should have a limit on the number of seats one person can hold.

BallHawk
07-22-2007, 02:49 PM
They should have a limit on the number of seats one person can hold.

Totally agree. Let the actual fans see the games.

Tarlam!
07-22-2007, 03:19 PM

You're not suggesting non-fans pay for high priced tickets and go to games?? :oops:

J/K. :D

falco
07-22-2007, 03:23 PM

You're not suggesting non-fans pay for high priced tickets and go to games?? :oops:

Actual fans are going...they're just now paying "market price".

Problem is, via arbitrage, the middle man is making all the profits. If people are going to pay that much to go to the games, I'd much rather see the team pocket the difference and stash it in the reserve fund. Just in case revenue sharing one day goes "poof".

Tarlam!
07-22-2007, 03:31 PM
Falco, this arbitrage will never disappear....

Not unless the Pack raise ticket prices to the black market price. Even then, I doubt it will work.

GBRulz
07-22-2007, 04:10 PM
Maybe we should all buy some tickets from this guy, then get really rowdy and kicked out of the game causing the guy to have his tickets revoked :twisted:

GBRulz
07-22-2007, 04:14 PM
***sigh*** I guess when you ask yourself who you gotta sleep with to get tickets to the game, you now have your answer. I thought he said he charges face value for the tickets and any extra money was supposed to pay for the seat licenses...that's just how I read it, but I agree with GBR. I hate it when people have season tickets for no other reason than just to make a buck. They should have a limit on the number of seats one person can hold.

The article confused me. One part said he charges $100-$500 depending upon the game. Then it said he charges face value in another paragraph.

I assumed that he already had the people pay for the seat license back when he was originally charged for it. Whatever the case may be, that seat license was more than paid for about halfway through the first season after the renovation.

BTW, totally off-topic here.... that security wall or whatever u call it is going to look really nice once it's done. Lots of nice planters and walls that compliment the stadium nicely. Also, it looks like the construction on Lombardi Ave is a couple weeks from completion...THANK GOD. but man, will it be nice once it's done.

4and12to12and4
07-22-2007, 04:24 PM
well, PIP, it is scalping, but there are no laws against that. Unless you are on the Lambeau grounds, that is. Ticket scalping in the City of GB is illegal. Which is why you find all your ticket scalpers across the street in "scalpers alley", which is Ashwaubenon. No scalping laws there.

Very interesting post. I never understood why they were over there. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I didn't realize that was considered Ashwaubenon. Learn something every day. Thanks.

LL2
07-22-2007, 04:47 PM

Actual fans are going...they're just now paying "market price".

Problem is, via arbitrage, the middle man is making all the profits. If people are going to pay that much to go to the games, I'd much rather see the team pocket the difference and stash it in the reserve fund. Just in case revenue sharing one day goes "poof".

Not a bad idea but will never happen.

I agree that it's not fair to fans that are waiting forever to get even 1 season ticket. I'm trying to go to the GB vs SD game and will end up paying around $250-300 for my ticket. Last year I paid $300. I love my Packers and others like me help people this guy make a good chunk of change.

packinpatland
07-22-2007, 06:11 PM
What's the difference between this man making some $$, and the legit businesses like Packerfantours charging what they do? I paid close to $300 for the tickets I got thru them last year. $295 this year. :roll:

Noodle
07-22-2007, 07:29 PM
Maybe we should all buy some tickets from this guy, then get really rowdy and kicked out of the game causing the guy to have his tickets revoked :twisted:

See, this is brilliance. I was all outraged about the guy and was thinking how you could try to legislate the problem away, but this is far more elegant and effective. Plus, we'd have a blast gettin' booted, especially if Madtown brought some of his boys to assist in the rowdieness. Everybody wins!

packinpatland
07-22-2007, 08:36 PM

See, this is brilliance. I was all outraged about the guy and was thinking how you could try to legislate the problem away, but this is far more elegant and effective. Plus, we'd have a blast gettin' booted, especially if Madtown brought some of his boys to assist in the rowdieness. Everybody wins!

Yes!! And if we all did it at a Viking game, Rastak could come and basically get blamed for the whole thing!! :lol:

Rastak
07-22-2007, 10:29 PM

Yes!! And if we all did it at a Viking game, Rastak could come and basically get blamed for the whole thing!! :lol:

:shock:

:wink:

CaliforniaCheez
07-22-2007, 10:32 PM
Please do not comment unless you read the article.

If you don't understand, read it again!

The tickets were originally purchased by a bar in 1957 when it was perfectly legal and there were no waiting lists. This bar had been a Packer ticket distributor since the 1920's.

The gentlemen in question purchased the bar in 1991. As part of the bar's assets he purchaed 331 season tickets of the original lot of 350.

All legal. He bought a bar to get the tickets. He sells to liked family members at face value. If there are extra he sells them at "market price".

The guy is not stealing. He recognized a good business opportunity.

GrnBay007
07-22-2007, 11:03 PM
Wonder what he paid for the Bar? Obviously a good investment.

Hey.....come to think of it, I think I'm related to that guy! :P

CaliforniaCheez
07-22-2007, 11:09 PM

But are you in his will??

He's only 67. He could be selling tickets for 30 more years.

GrnBay007
07-22-2007, 11:15 PM

I might be better off trying to marry him then. :shock:

:P

NewsBruin
07-22-2007, 11:16 PM
The article is a bit confusing, as I think it was trying to say the face value of the tickets is $50, $60, $65 (or whatever), not that he was charging the face value. Lkewise, it seems to say that the "extended family" is the Packer fans who buy his tickets. We're not talking about getting a reuinion together. Nor are we talking about the bar as an Official Distributor; it used to be, but now it's just another season ticketholder.

But I'm not a fan of this guy either. I'm all about free enterprise, but I believe profit should reflect created value, not just moving a commodity from one hand to another. Scalping tickets does nothing more than artificially increase the cost of a commodity without providing any increase in value.

Would some of our legal minds help me on this? I believe the Packers have rules that season ticket rights may not be bought or sold from one person to the next. If a person doesn't renew, his rights go back to the Packers, who'll give them to the next name in line. So if the restaurant owned the tickets, then it could retain them if it had new ownership. But if the tickets were in the owner's name, he could not sell them to someone else as part of the deal, nor could the new owner create a new company to sell the tickets. It would all have to be under the bar's name.

Likewise, if the owner is selling the restaurant's season tickets, then he couldn't directly take the money from them any more than he could put $5 in his wallet every time someone orders chicken fingers, could he?

If it's the restaurant's property, then the transactions should be made through the business. If it's the owner's property, then Green Bay would have the right to revoke the tickets.

Am I right on that?

Also, I believe the recent Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Supreme Court case (involving consent to searches) noted that a ticket is merely a one-time license to a seat, and the stadium maintained the right to revoke it at its own pleasure. If the Packers conclude they don't want this guy holding 331 tickets, then they should be able to tell him, "We're not selling you any more tickets next season."

My math came out a bit different: Assuming he sells 300 season tickets per game for 6 regular season Green Package games, and makes a $100 markup per ticket, that's $180,000 pure profit every season. I'll assume he gives away his preseason and postseason tickets to fund the local school system or starving children in far-off countries.

The point is, I don't feel particularly endeared to someone who pockets $1,000,000 every 6 years or less for holding on to tickets.

I have an aunt whose in-laws hold three sets of Milwaukee tickets. I may not get to go every year or every other year but I can possibly get tickets at face value if I call early enough. I saw Vikes play in Lambeau on a MNF game. I understand that not everyone is as blessed as I, and that's where scalpers/brokers come in.

I don't know what Packertours includes in its charges, and I don't mind them making a profit from arranging, providing, and bundling services together. If they just say "Here's a $50 ticket for $150," then that's $100 that didn't need to be spent. If they get me a bus, beer, brats, hotel room, souveniers, and a private Lambeau Tour; and they make it so that 20 of my newfound closest friends have a good time with me, then that's a worthy endeavor.

But if the Packers hear about guys like this, maybe they ought to limit the number of tickets that an owner can hold if he/she/it is not giving away or selling at face value. Maybe they oughts to go online to stubhub.com and match $300 seats with their holders. However it goes, the Pack has 100% right to act or not act towards Mr. Burris or any other of its seaaon ticketholders.

The Packers set up the fanTIXchange (I have no idea how to pronounce that) to buy and sell season seats at near-face value and even give a little to the Boys' and Girls' Club.

Perhaps Mr. Burris should be made aware of such a generous setup.

Tarlam!
07-23-2007, 02:52 AM
Well, if this is a business, then obviously he must be paying taxes on his profits, right?

GBRulz
07-23-2007, 08:04 AM
Well, if this is a business, then obviously he must be paying taxes on his profits, right?

You're exactly right. You'd think he's paying taxes on his profits, which I'm sure he does, but on the other hand, he can jack up some made up business expense to counter that.

Wisconsin is funny when it comes to charging people for Packer related items. An example, our former governor wanted people to report income they made from parking cars on their lawn during games. After receiving several complaints, he withdrew, saying that people don't have to report the parking revenue as income. Personally, I disagree with that. A lady that I used to work with owns a double lot just north of Lambeau. She can park 80 cars each game @ $20 each. That's what, $16,000 a year pure profit? NON-TAXED profit, that is.

The stadium loses a ton of money in parking revenue simply because they don't have the room. For those that aren't familiar, only season ticket holders can park in the Lambeau lot now. And with this new wall they are constructing, they will be losing another 400 spots. I forget where I read it, but it was estimated that area businesses and residences make about 6-7 million annually just from parking.

GBRulz
07-23-2007, 08:07 AM
newsbruin, here is a link that explains some of the legal mumbo jumbo on transferring tickets and such. and thank you for redoing the math on the tickets, I think I added an extra zero in there somewhere!!

http://www.packers.com/tickets/season_tickets/

KYPack
07-23-2007, 05:19 PM
Hold it NB.

You were runnin' the numbers pretty fast there, but the situation is different than you describe. I've dealt with this guy & his group before.

The people in the "family" just buy the tickets from the cartel and go to the games. They pay face value for their tix and the transaction is the same as if they bought their Tix from the Pack.

The profit comes in when the "family member" doesn't attend the game. Then, the ticket goes to Burris. Burris sells the ticket for whatever he can get for it. He pays the "family member" his face value back and pockets the rest. I've negotiated with this group when I was trying to get tix, say, for a Bear game.

He gets a pretty penny for his wares. Generally, this group is higher than Ticket king or some of the popular vendors. The supply varies. Good games like the Bears, Vikes, Lions or other marquee teams are in shorter supply than a Dec game with the Texans, fer instance.

He makes money doing this, operating the cartel is more profitable than running the bar was. He sold the joint years ago. You can't calaulate how much he makes, it's different for every game, but safe to say, it's good money. He better pay taxes on it. I know first hand, WI Dept of Revenue is a ferocious bunch.

GBM is right, he was howlin' like a baby when the seat license deal came up a few years ago. The "family member" paid it, so the problem was solved.

Bretsky
07-23-2007, 06:32 PM

I might be better off trying to marry him then. :shock:

:P

At that age he just might need two wives to get the job done; I know you are up to task as the first :lol:

NewsBruin
07-23-2007, 10:40 PM
Yeah, I want to make sure I get it right, KY.

So there are regular "family" (non-family) who pay face, and one-time or waiting-list customers who take the upped charge?

Per the Packer site, if the corporation (bar) had dissolved, Burris would retain the rights to the 331 remaining tickets. If the tickets were in the bar's name (or the owner, identified as the owner of the bar), then it could be transferred to him once the business closed.

Still, to buy the bar for the tickets, run it a while, then close it and keep the tickets, making a regular profit off them...that's just tacky, especially if he bought the bar solely for the tickets.

Ultimately, the ball is in the Packers' court. It's aware of the operation that's going on. It knows how to get in contact with Mr. Burris, and it's their decision to re-offer ticket rights each year. If they're content that people are paying $500 per game, and it's lining his pocket, rather than helping out the Boys and Girls Club, then that's what they have to live with.

(Of course, there's always the option of buying a "market value" ticket, losing my table manners, then telling Packer security, "Do you know who I bought these $300 tickets from? I do, and he told me you wouldn't have the balls to take them away, junior! Now get me an import beer and hit my music!" Ah, to be young again...)

LL2
07-24-2007, 08:49 AM

You're exactly right. You'd think he's paying taxes on his profits, which I'm sure he does, but on the other hand, he can jack up some made up business expense to counter that.

Wisconsin is funny when it comes to charging people for Packer related items. An example, our former governor wanted people to report income they made from parking cars on their lawn during games. After receiving several complaints, he withdrew, saying that people don't have to report the parking revenue as income. Personally, I disagree with that. A lady that I used to work with owns a double lot just north of Lambeau. She can park 80 cars each game @ $20 each. That's what, $16,000 a year pure profit? NON-TAXED profit, that is.

The stadium loses a ton of money in parking revenue simply because they don't have the room. For those that aren't familiar, only season ticket holders can park in the Lambeau lot now. And with this new wall they are constructing, they will be losing another 400 spots. I forget where I read it, but it was estimated that area businesses and residences make about 6-7 million annually just from parking.

Hey, I'm all for people being able to make non-taxable income. If I could do it then I would. Read the article below. It might make you a little upset that the uber rich do not have to pay taxes or a lower percentage than the middle class. After reading it I do not think you will care that the parking lot lady doesn't pay taxes.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/08/06/100141304/index.htm

GBRulz
07-24-2007, 09:24 AM
Hey, I'm all for people being able to make non-taxable income. If I could do it then I would. Read the article below. It might make you a little upset that the uber rich do not have to pay taxes or a lower percentage than the middle class. After reading it I do not think you will care that the parking lot lady doesn't pay taxes.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/08/06/100141304/index.htm

There are alot of things about corporate America that I don't like, but that really is a moot point in this. I'm more concerned about my local community and what this extra income, if reported as sales income could do for our city. I'm all for people being able to make non-taxable income, too. But, why should only some be allotted to this luxury and others aren't?

packinpatland
07-24-2007, 10:48 AM

There are alot of things about corporate America that I don't like, but that really is a moot point in this. I'm more concerned about my local community and what this extra income, if reported as sales income could do for our city. I'm all for people being able to make non-taxable income, too. But, why should only some be allotted to this luxury and others aren't?

Because there are some that will always feel more 'entitled' than the common folk.

Rastak
07-24-2007, 11:34 AM

Do the Feds know about this? I pretty sure it wouldn't be considered "untaxable".

MJZiggy
07-24-2007, 11:45 AM
I know that when I got my tickets from a legitimate ticket source, they tacked on state tax...

GBRulz
07-24-2007, 01:41 PM
I know that when I got my tickets from a legitimate ticket source, they tacked on state tax...

Yes, as a business they have to report their ticket sales as income, that would make sense. I am referring to people who are cashing in on parking cars on their lawn.

Rastak, you are probably right about the Feds, but our former governor was practically beat up over the fact that he wanted to tax "tradition". He quickly reasserted his thoughts, indicating that it would not have to be reported as taxable income.

Rastak
07-24-2007, 04:28 PM

Yes, as a business they have to report their ticket sales as income, that would make sense. I am referring to people who are cashing in on parking cars on their lawn.

Rastak, you are probably right about the Feds, but our former governor was practically beat up over the fact that he wanted to tax "tradition". He quickly reasserted his thoughts, indicating that it would not have to be reported as taxable income.

Yea, I can see how that wouldn't play well locally. That is alot of money not to claim and the IRS would not be amused. Actually, the IRS is NEVER amused for some reason.

Little Whiskey
07-25-2007, 04:50 PM
a talk show host was talking today about the person who would catch barry bonds record breaking home run ball. he was wondering if you would have to claim taxes on the ball even if you didn't sell it. he figured it would be similar to winning a car from a contest. kinda sad how we are taxed.

i'm begining to think this thread has been hijacked :D

packinpatland
07-25-2007, 07:43 PM
Got my two $64.00 tickets in the mail today for the PR game.

Total Amount: $654.16

Sub Total: $590.00
Shipping: $12.00
Handling Fee: $18.06

Tell me this isn't legalized scalping.
But then, I knew that going in. :roll:

Handling Fee???? Come on.

retailguy
07-25-2007, 07:58 PM
Got my two $64.00 tickets in the mail today for the PR game.

Total Amount: $654.16

Sub Total: $590.00
Shipping: $12.00
Handling Fee: $18.06

Tell me this isn't legalized scalping.
But then, I knew that going in. :roll:

Handling Fee???? Come on.

WOW. My accountant brain just won't let me do this.

I go to one game every year for face value plus $10. as my "amortized" portion of the seat license....

Oh, and the tix are front row too.

I'm very spoiled. :P

GBRulz
07-25-2007, 08:14 PM
I've sat in the front row once, I didn't like it at all. You are too close to the field and can't really see what's going on. Although the seats were right behind the visitors bench and we did have some fun taunting the jets when they were in town that game! So I guess it was good for one thing!!

PIP, that is highway robbery. Plus they have the gall to add on a handling fee after all that!! :shock:

Little Whiskey
07-25-2007, 08:30 PM
I've sat in the front row once, I didn't like it at all.

I agree with you GBM, the I once sat in row 8, and i've sat in row 60 (was the last row, before the renovation). I would much rather sit further back. row sixty was a better seat than the row eight. My usual seats are row 55 in the opposite endzone of the player's tunnel.

retailguy
07-25-2007, 08:32 PM
I've sat in the front row once, I didn't like it at all. You are too close to the field and can't really see what's going on. Although the seats were right behind the visitors bench and we did have some fun taunting the jets when they were in town that game! So I guess it was good for one thing!!

PIP, that is highway robbery. Plus they have the gall to add on a handling fee after all that!! :shock:

I've sat all over that stadium and I can see fine. These seats are just past the packers bench near the replay monitor.

To each his own, I guess, and I'm pretty damn happy!

GBRulz
07-25-2007, 08:37 PM
I've sat in the front row once, I didn't like it at all.

I agree with you GBM, the I once sat in row 8, and i've sat in row 60 (was the last row, before the renovation). I would much rather sit further back. row sixty was a better seat than the row eight. My usual seats are row 55 in the opposite endzone of the player's tunnel.

The cool thing about sitting higher is access to the 2nd concourse bathrooms and stuff. the first concourse is still so crowded compared to the 2nd level one.

Little Whiskey
07-25-2007, 08:39 PM
I will also say that a seat in the john at lambeau is better than a sideline seat at county stadium. I'm glad they gave us milwaukee ticket holders a chance to see the games in green bay

retailguy
07-25-2007, 08:51 PM
I will also say that a seat in the john at lambeau is better than a sideline seat at county stadium. I'm glad they gave us milwaukee ticket holders a chance to see the games in green bay

It is a special place. I've been to games at about 9 NFL venues. It's the best I've seen so far, and I just want you to know I'm not a bit biased either! :P

packinpatland
07-25-2007, 08:51 PM
"PIP, that is highway robbery. Plus they have the gall to add on a handling fee after all that!! "

PackerFanTours/EventsUSA
Someone is making some nice change.