PDA

View Full Version : Agh............Emmitt!

packinpatland
07-23-2007, 05:05 PM
Updated: 5:25 p.m. ET July 21, 2007
SOUTH BEND, Ind. - Emmitt Smith thinks federal investigators targeted Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick to get to others involved in an alleged dogfighting operation.

“He’s the biggest fish in the whole doggone pond right now so they’re putting the squeeze on him to get to everyone else,” Smith said Saturday.

Vick and three associates are accused of competitive dogfighting, procuring and training pit bulls for fighting, and conducting the enterprise across state lines. Vick is scheduled to be arraigned Thursday in federal court in Richmond, Va.

Smith, who was enshrined in the College Football Hall of Fame on Saturday along with 19 others, was asked what he thought about the Vick situation. He said he believes federal investigators are trying to pressure Vick to turn on the others.

“Now, granted he might have been to a dogfight a time or two, maybe five times, maybe 20 times, may have bet some money, but he’s not the one you’re after. He’s not the one you’re after, he’s just the one whose going to take the fall — publicly.”

But Smith also placed some blame on Vick, saying athletes need to realize they have to break ties with some people from their past “because where we’re going, it’s not for everybody to come with us. You have to learn to cut some of those guys loose. Because the things that they do, we cannot do no more.”

Smith, the NFL’s career leading rusher, said young athletes have to make decisions about who they associate with because it could harm their careers.

“From an athletic standpoint, from an endorsement standpoint, from an investment standpoint, from a business standpoint, those doors are opening. The question is now, do you want to do the same old junk you’ve been doing for 18 or 20-something years, or do you want to step into the real world of business and handle your business like you’re supposed to handle it?”

He makes sense talking about what young players should or shouldn't do, or get involved in, but come on.............,the first part of article just isn't very Emmitt.

Harlan Huckleby
07-23-2007, 05:32 PM
this is insane. Emmitt should stick to what he does best, dancing with hot professional dancers that make him look good

Every once in a while you read a story in the paper about cruelty to animals. The perps get a couple months in the county jail, and are barred from owning animals. Legally, this seems about right to me.

From a social standpoint .... well, hell with it, there have been enough speeches. He deserves all the scorn.

retailguy
07-23-2007, 08:34 PM
From a social standpoint .... well, hell with it, there have been enough speeches. He deserves all the scorn.

Yep, and 463 years in a hard labor camp too. It was a DOG for Christ sakes. How could he do this? Maybe we should kill him. Off with his head... :P

GBRulz
07-23-2007, 08:40 PM
we cannot do no more

omg, learn some proper grammar, please.

Noodle
07-24-2007, 07:21 PM
Trying to be fair to Smith, couldn't you read his remarks as saying that Vick is sort of like a lower-level drug dealer -- stopping him won't stop the game -- and what you really need to do is go after the folks who organize and run the game.

Just trying to give Smith the benefit of the doubt here. I don't think he's condoning Vick, but saying that the problem is a lot bigger than Vick. And he's probably right.

I tried.

packinpatland
07-24-2007, 07:28 PM
Trying to be fair to Smith, couldn't you read his remarks as saying that Vick is sort of like a lower-level drug dealer -- stopping him won't stop the game -- and what you really need to do is go after the folks who organize and run the game.

Just trying to give Smith the benefit of the doubt here. I don't think he's condoning Vick, but saying that the problem is a lot bigger than Vick. And he's probably right.

I tried.

I agree with you except I really wish he hadn't said this:

“Now, granted he might have been to a dogfight a time or two, maybe five times, maybe 20 times, may have bet some money, but he’s not the one you’re after. He’s not the one you’re after, he’s just the one whose going to take the fall — publicly.”

He just makes it sound so, I don't know, trivial.

Rastak
07-24-2007, 08:38 PM

I tried.

I agree with you except I really wish he hadn't said this:

He just makes it sound so, I don't know, trivial.

He was financing the damn thing by all accounts.....who the hell is the big fish? Arthur Blank?

Emmitt, it is better to be silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

packinpatland
07-24-2007, 08:42 PM
I think that ultimately, Vick is going to talk. And when he does, there will be someone as 'big' as he is, involved........... probably several.

Rastak
07-24-2007, 09:37 PM
I think that ultimately, Vick is going to talk. And when he does, there will be someone as 'big' as he is, involved........... probably several.

It could be but I doubt it....HE funded the operation by all accounts.

retailguy
07-24-2007, 09:42 PM

It could be but I doubt it....HE funded the operation by all accounts.

He is going to squeal on Ron Mexico. :wink:

Cheesehead Craig
07-24-2007, 09:45 PM
Emmitt, it is better to be silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
I thought it was better to not be a fan than follow the Vikings and be a fool. :wink:

Rastak
07-24-2007, 09:52 PM
I thought it was better to not be a fan than follow the Vikings and be a fool. :wink:

That's your contribution to the discussion at hand?

:wink:

LEWCWA
07-24-2007, 10:55 PM
This is pure Emmitt, he was never the shapest tool in the shed! Just check out his diamonds and poo poo statements from his last years in Dallas. The guy was a great football player, but not much between the ears. He is also, right there too make excuses for all his brothers problems!

Cheesehead Craig
07-25-2007, 08:53 AM

That's your contribution to the discussion at hand?

:wink:
Pretty much.

Just sick of the Vick conversations and what athlete says what about Vick. Vick's a moron, plain and simple.

Viking bashing however never gets old. :P