PDA

View Full Version : New York Times On Favre

packinpatland
07-23-2007, 06:53 PM
The New York Times isn't known for it's sports. BUT, this was in Sunday's edition. The last line says it all.

By AARON SCHATZ
Published: July 22, 2007
Historic records in professional football do not hold the same emotional weight as historic records in baseball. Nevertheless, like Barry Bonds’s pursuit of the career home run record, Brett Favre’s assault on the N.F.L.’s passing records will be a major story line of the 2007 season.

Favre has already surpassed one of those records, throwing his 4,968th completion during Green Bay’s 17-9 win over Detroit last December. This season, he may break the other two.

Favre could own the career touchdown record by the end of September; his total of 414 touchdowns is only six short of Marino’s 420. Favre will have a harder time breaking Marino’s record for passing yardage (61,361), because the 3,862 yards he needs is just below the 3,885 he passed for in 2006 and the 3,881 he accumulated in 2005. As long as he plays at his established level, Favre will break the yardage record in late December.

Those milestones will mean more attention for a player who already gets his share of the spotlight, but the N.F.L. should write his totals into the record books in pencil, not ink.

Favre has something else in common with Bonds: We have a pretty good idea of who will break the records they are about to set. Many baseball analysts believe that Alex Rodriguez of the Yankees will be the eventual home run king. And few commentators will want to spoil Favre’s story by saying it, but Favre is only keeping the record-breaking seat warm for a player who could far surpass all other N.F.L. quarterbacks in a few years — Peyton Manning of the Indianapolis Colts.

Manning turned 31 in March, but he already ranks seventh in career passing touchdowns and 13th in passing yardage. When it comes to amassing statistical totals by the age of 30, Manning is light-years ahead of any other quarterback in N.F.L. history.

Only four quarterbacks have completed at least 2,100 passes through age 30; Manning is the only one with more than 3,000 completions. Only four quarterbacks have passed for at least 30,000 yards through age 30; Manning is more than 2,000 yards ahead of the second-place Marino. Only four quarterbacks had more than 200 passing touchdowns through age 30; Manning’s total of 275 leads this category as well.

Many observers believe that 2007 will be Favre’s last season, especially if he surpasses the two passing records. If Manning’s performance declines slightly each year as he ages, at a rate similar to Favre’s and Marino’s declines, he will pass Favre’s touchdown record around the middle of the 2011 season, at the age of 35. It will take Manning longer to break Favre’s records for passing yardage and completions, but he could reach them early in the 2013 season, at 37.

Favre will be 38 this year. That is the same age Marino and the quarterback whose records he broke, Fran Tarkenton, were in their last seasons. If Manning retires at 38, he could do so with roughly 20 percent more touchdowns than any other quarterback in N.F.L. history. Just as Rodriguez is the first player with a legitimate shot at 800 home runs, Manning is the first player with a legitimate shot at 500 touchdown passes.

When Bonds breaks the home run record, those fans who find him unlikable will talk a lot about Rodriguez’s chances of surpassing him.

There probably won’t be as much talk about Manning should Favre break the two passing records, because Favre is one of the most beloved players in the N.F.L.

Packnut
07-23-2007, 06:56 PM
This is all predicated on Manning staying healthy. Favre already has accompished being injury free.

MJZiggy
07-23-2007, 07:02 PM
Manning's not gonna have time to break any records. How will he possibly fit it in between shooting endorsements?

Iron Mike
07-23-2007, 07:05 PM
Manning's not gonna have time to break any records. How will he possibly fit it in between shooting endorsements?

Either that, or he's busy breaking up Kenny Chesney's marriage. :wink:

packinpatland
07-23-2007, 07:06 PM
This is all predicated on Manning staying healthy. Favre already has accompished being injury free.

Can't say exactly 'free', just not dabilitating. After all, he IS the Iron Man of Football!

packinpatland
07-23-2007, 07:08 PM

I'm in the dark here.......... what is this about?

MJZiggy
07-23-2007, 07:09 PM
you can't even say not debilitating. The injuries he sustained in his career would have put any other QB on the sidelines...

Iron Mike
07-23-2007, 07:14 PM

http://deadspin.com/sports/nfl/peyton-manning-going-all-brokeback-mountain-on-us-128185.php

red
07-23-2007, 07:15 PM

thats the big question

can he stay healthy enough to break favres records

all it takes is one freak injury to end a career

ask joe thiesman

and will peyton be able to keep up his high pace for the rest of his career. favre did, marino did, but not everyone can

and will peyton even decide to play that long?

time will have to tell

packinpatland
07-23-2007, 07:19 PM

http://deadspin.com/sports/nfl/peyton-manning-going-all-brokeback-mountain-on-us-128185.php

Plllllllllllease..................
Next thing you know someone will have a photo of Brett and Tim McGraw and writing the same dribble. :wink:

Freak Out
07-23-2007, 07:34 PM
I thought Jewel was married to that little..? Oh well...
When Favre breaks the records and retires we'll talk about PM's chances at breaking them.

Noodle
07-23-2007, 08:21 PM
This is going to be an interesting year for Manning. I wonder how much confidence he'll have in his blindside protection now that his LT Glenn retired.

He's cried before about his OL -- he'll get whacked, cry about crappy protection, and then I can see the OL saying, "screw you, go make commercials."

Kind of hard to set records when you're on your back (or when you hear those foot steps a'comin').

CaliforniaCheez
07-24-2007, 01:01 AM
244 yards a game is the benchmark. 61 yards a quarter.

That will get him to the yardage mark.

Little Whiskey
07-24-2007, 10:31 AM
their will always be an * after mannings numbers since he is on the juice :lol:

Zool
07-24-2007, 10:50 AM

Next thing you know someone will have a photo of Brett and Tim McGraw and writing the same dribble. :wink:
These 2 guys are so gay for each other. Wonder if Indiana has a marriage rule?

Jimx29
07-24-2007, 04:40 PM
I'd rather bet on pork futures

Cheesehead Craig
07-24-2007, 06:00 PM
This is going to be an interesting year for Manning. I wonder how much confidence he'll have in his blindside protection now that his LT Glenn retired.

He's cried before about his OL -- he'll get whacked, cry about crappy protection, and then I can see the OL saying, "screw you, go make commercials."

Kind of hard to set records when you're on your back (or when you hear those foot steps a'comin').
Bingo. If he has to keep looking at the DL coming at him, he's in for a down year. I just lowered him on my fantasy football list because of it.

4and12to12and4
07-25-2007, 02:59 PM
The funny thing about this story is that, and god forbid I even say this, but, Favre may not even get the records. He could get injured in the 1st game.

Remember Aaron? :cry: :cry:

You know what, let's pretend that I never posted this. Wait I haven't yet. Oh, crap, now I just look stupid. :oops:

woodbuck27
07-26-2007, 02:22 PM

Jaysuuussss !!

Tim McGraw isn't GAY !!!

MJZiggy
07-26-2007, 02:41 PM
Jaysuuussss !!

Tim McGraw isn't GAY !!!

Anybody who's seen his wife would know that, Buck...