PDA

View Full Version : Vick told to stay home

packinpatland
07-23-2007, 07:22 PM
By Dave Goldberg, AP Football Writer
NEW YORK — Michael Vick was ordered by commissioner Roger Goodell on Monday to stay away from the Atlanta Falcons' training camp until the league reviews the dogfighting charges against him.
"While it is for the criminal justice system to determine your guilt or innocence, it is my responsibility as commissioner of the National Football League to determine whether your conduct, even if not criminal, nonetheless violated league policies, including the Personal Conduct Policy," Goodell said in a letter to the quarterback.

The NFL said Vick would still get his preseason pay and Goodell told the Falcons to withhold any disciplinary action of their own until the league's review was completed.

Rastak
07-23-2007, 07:32 PM
NEW YORK — Michael Vick was ordered by commissioner Roger Goodell on Monday to stay away from the Atlanta Falcons' training camp until the league reviews the dogfighting charges against him.
"While it is for the criminal justice system to determine your guilt or innocence, it is my responsibility as commissioner of the National Football League to determine whether your conduct, even if not criminal, nonetheless violated league policies, including the Personal Conduct Policy," Goodell said in a letter to the quarterback.

The NFL said Vick would still get his preseason pay and Goodell told the Falcons to withhold any disciplinary action of their own until the league's review was completed.

Good call but we'll have to see if either Vick or the union challenge it.

retailguy
07-23-2007, 07:37 PM

Good call but we'll have to see if either Vick or the union challenge it.

If this is related to the "discipline" policy, the grand poobah is the Commissioner. Judge, Jury, and executioner.

If Vick fights this, he is even stupider than most of us give him credit for.

packinpatland
07-23-2007, 07:38 PM

With this situation, this seems more than fair.

Rastak
07-23-2007, 07:45 PM

With this situation, this seems more than fair.

I would agree , I'm guessing he gets paid so it seems like a logical solution.

If he's found guilty THEN they can hang him. (so to speak HH)

RashanGary
07-23-2007, 07:51 PM
There is a little guilty pleasure in watching a punk like Vick go down. I enjoy it anyway.

Freak Out
07-23-2007, 07:54 PM
It's a good call. The Commish has to hold a hard line even with a big $$ draw like Vick.

GrnBay007
07-23-2007, 08:35 PM
Definitely a good call. Can you imagine the media circus at their training camp if Vick was there?

GBRulz
07-23-2007, 08:35 PM
It's a good call. The Commish has to hold a hard line even with a big $$ draw like Vick.

I think it's a good call, too. However, I think it was necessary for the Commish to do this to actually halt the NFL from losing fans & sponsorships (money) because of it.

Noodle
07-23-2007, 08:39 PM
Yeah, the Commish helped Falcons owner Blank out with this one. I'm sure the coaching staff will be delighted not to have the distraction. This lets them concentrate on getting Joey ready to go.

Compare the way this Commish deals with a problem as opposed to the way Selig has been a complete sackless wonder regarding Bonds. Either show up or don't, but say what you're going to do and stop being a putz.

Joemailman
07-23-2007, 09:37 PM
Vick is being told to stay home to try to defuse this:

http://media.centredaily.com/smedia/2007/07/23/13/891-PETA_Vick_NFL.sff.standalone.prod_affiliate.42.jpg

Lurker64
07-23-2007, 10:28 PM
Realistically, I'm surprised it took this long. Are there any jobs other than "politician" and "NFL quarterback" where you could be indicted by a grand jury for a crime of this kind and not be immediately suspended (with pay)?

NewsBruin
07-23-2007, 10:54 PM
It's interesting, because this is not a disciplinary suspension, because he still gets paid, and the team will still be able to suspend him for up to four games (which it should save for the regular season).

I don't think the union will immediately challenge it, but it might later, once it realizes it's giving the commish another precedent to suspend a player who's only been charged with a crime. Still, nobody wants to be a Friend of Mike right about now.

I was hoping they could convince him to not be there, but the Falcons, and ultimately the league's, got to get Vick out of and away from camp. If it takes this, then so be it.

BEARMAN
07-25-2007, 07:43 AM
Anyone that make dogs fight, should be casterated ! :evil:

MJZiggy
07-25-2007, 07:52 AM
Hmmmm....agreement with a Bears fan? Some things go beyond football. You have a point there. May he someday run into one of your pups who can take care of that for him...