PDA

View Full Version : Rob Demovsky chat: July 23rd

packrulz
07-24-2007, 04:23 AM
cwood21

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:39 pm Post subject: TD record

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off, thanks for chatting. In your opinion, which game is Favre most likely to break the all-time touchdown record? I am trying to decide which game to go to at Lambeau this season, and I think the one in which he breaks it would be a great choice. Thanks again!

ROB DEMOVSKY: Good evening everyone. Let's get started.
There's no way to know for sure when Favre will break the record. This may come as a surprise to some of you, but reporters can't predict the future. However, if you look at it mathematically, I suppose there's a way to pinpoint it. Favre has 414 career touchdown passes in 241 games. That's an average of 1.72 touchdowns per games. Given that he needs six touchdown to tie and seven to break Dan Marino's record, the math suggests it will take him four games to tie the record and five to break it. By that logic, he would tie the record at Minnesota on Sept. 30 and break it at home against Chicago on Oct. 7. Take that for what it's worth, which probably isn't much.

Back to top Report Abuse

Danimalk82

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:48 pm Post subject: Trade rumor?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Rob,
According to the rumor that George Koonce instigated a couple weeks ago, Green Bay is still exploring a possible trade for an offensive player. Most GB fans are putting Larry Johnson at the top of their wish list for who we might get, but (in my opinion) there isn't too much that makes sense about this trade. He would have to learn a new system, he is rumored to be asking for #1 money and T.T. has never been a "big spender", not to mention the amount of value in draft picks that T.T. would have to give up (and we all know how much he loves those), also we just spent a second round pick in Brandon Jackson. This made me think about who else we might possibly get, and I thought about people T.T. has drafted in the past in Seattle that he might want to get back. One name that really intrigued me was Seneca Wallace. Brett is not a lock to be here next season and without him we have nothing but question marks. Seneca played well in place of injured Matt Hasselbeck last season and Ted took a chance on him in 2003 and it looks like he might be able to compete in this league. What are your thoughts about the possibility of landing Wallace? Also, have you heard anything about who else we might be interested in?

ROB DEMOVSKY: I've never thought much of Seneca Wallace. I doubt he's any more capable of winning than Aaron Rodgers is. My feeling on that George Koonce thing is that he was basically full of it. Koonce is a guy who liked to talk and probably overstated what was some innocuous chatter around the office.

Back to top Report Abuse

Studmuffin

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:15 pm Post subject: Favre

How do the Packers plan on recognizing Favre's record breaking achievement when he breaks Marino's record for career TD passes?

ROB DEMOVSKY: Good question. Nothing's been announced, but I'll check on that and see if I can get an answer for you soon. Look for something about it on our website or in the Green Bay Press-Gazette.

Back to top Report Abuse

Studmuffin

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:19 pm Post subject: Culpepper

Yesterday the Miami Dolphins released Daunte Culpper. Any chance you see Daunte Culpepper becoming a Packer as a veteran backup? If Favre goes down, the Packers have virtually no QB in camp with NFL game experience.

ROB DEMOVSKY: From what I've read and heard, Jacksonville seems like the most likely place for Culpepper. I have not heard one person who knows anything about anything (and I don't count talk radio and internet message boards) connect Culpepper with the Packers.

Back to top Report Abuse

Studmuffin

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:24 pm Post subject: Season Opener

GB opens the season with Philly at home. Donovan McNabb is coming off a season ending knee injury which I thought I read occurred in week 11. Any word on whether he'll be ready to start the season or are we looking at another Culpepper situation where the QB was rushed back only to have a setback. Either way, GB may have caught a break having Philly for the opener if McNabb is less than 100%.

ROB DEMOVSKY: It sounds like the Eagles plan to ease McNabb back into training camp and see how it goes from there. My guess is he won't play much, if at all, in the early preseason games, so there's a chance the Packers won't know McNabb's status until shortly before the game.

Back to top Report Abuse

Studmuffin

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:30 pm Post subject: Barnett

Rob - haven't heard anything in a while about the Nick Barnett legal matter. Anything new regarding this or when is a court date expected?

ROB DEMOVSKY: The last thing I heard was that there was a special prosecutor to be appointed to the case because of a potential conflict of interest. I don't believe anything else has happened in the case.

Back to top Report Abuse

Studmuffin

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:37 pm Post subject: Harlan

Rob - are the Packers in a holding pattern until the season nears its end before GB starts seriously interviewing candidates to fill John Jones' position?

Has John Jones been seen around GB or Lambeau field recently? Do you expect him to make a public statement anytime soon to inform fans what actually happened?

ROB DEMOVSKY: The Jones situation was finalized late last week. The Packers parted ways with him and agreed to pay him the remainder of his contract, about $2.7 million. Jones made a few statements in a news release put out by the team but hasn't conducted any interviews. My guess is he'll never talk to any reporters from around here again. I also suspect his house will be for sale soon and he'll be out of Green Bay in no time.

Back to top Report Abuse

Berndtnf26

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:14 pm Post subject:

Hey Rob,

If you would, please go over the Packers positions and name the people you see earning the starting roles.

Also, do you see any players from other teams possibly being cut and signing with the Packers?

Thanks for taking the time to respond,

Nick

ROB DEMOVSKY: You want me to go through each position?
OK, off the top of my head, here it goes. It's barring injuries, of course.
QB: Favre
RB: Morency and Jackson by committee.
FB: Miree
TE: Lee
WR: Driver, Jennings
OL: Clifton, Tauscher, Wells, Colledge and Spitz
DL: Kampman, Jenkins, Harrell, Pickett
LB: Barnett, Hawk, Poppinga
DB: Harris, Woodson, Collins and Rouse
Punter: Ryan
Kicker: Rayner

Back to top Report Abuse

ChucKcECiL26

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:47 pm Post subject:

Most of the talk around here has been about how little the Packers have done in the off season. The Packers are basically the same team as last year, just one year older, give or take. But the Packers are still looking up at the Bears.

The bears have had their own problems this off season. Where the packers may have sat around and watched this off season, it seems the Bears hosted a charity event for the rest of the league. 1st they let Ron Rivera get away. Trade a 1200 yard rusher T. Jones for nothing. P/O star Lber Briggs, oh yeah and then there is TANK!! About the only bright spot for the Bears is; After the game Rex had in the super bowl the next time he puts on a bears uniform he can't help but to do better job. The Bears can not possibly be counting on that, Can they?

It's a fact that the teams that lose the super bowl have historically had sub-par seasons the next year. I don't see how their off season would suggest any different.I truly feel the Bears are going to lose games this year that they would have won last year. Is the difference going to be enough for any team in the North to make a run at them? If a team other then the Bears had to win the north who do you got?

P.S. Vegas right now has the Bears at 10 wins this year, Packers 7.5

ROB DEMOVSKY: I agree that the Bears have had some turmoil this offseason, more than the average defending conference champion. But they're still far and away the best team on paper in the NFC North, for whatever that's worth. I just can't imagine the other three division teams taking that huge leap this year from .500 (or worse) to division champs.

Last edited by ChucKcECiL26 on Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:09 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Report Abuse

lou3000

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:01 am Post subject: WRs

Upcoming camp competition aside, none of the five typically projected WRs (Driver, Jennings, Jones, Holiday, Martin) are speed burners. Does the team's offense need that quality? What separates Bodiford from Clowney? Do either of those guys have a serious chance of sticking?

ROB DEMOVSKY: Clowney has serious speed, no question about that. Bodiford is a good return man. Either could stick because of those single attributes.

Back to top Report Abuse

packrulz

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:51 am Post subject: Michael Vick

Hi Rob,
with all of Michael Vick's legal problems it looks like he may be suspended this year, and there are rumors that TT might trade Aaron Rodgers to the Falcons for a draft pick or Alge Crumpler, which I don't believe is possible. In your opinion, is there any possibility that Arod will be traded?

ROB DEMOVSKY: I don't believe there's any truth to that rumor, which I haven't heard anymore.

Back to top Report Abuse

jordanhuber4

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:51 pm Post subject:

Do you feel the packers are feeling alot of pressure to get a deal done with harrel before the start of camp, i know there always is pressure getting your first round pick into camp, but especialy with the fact he hasnt played full speed in over a year? If he misses camp with his injury, is it safe to say he will be on IR ? the team says he'll be fine in time for camp, but with NFL injury's i'll believe it when i see the player on the field.

ROB DEMOVSKY: There's pressure every year to get draft picks signed, but I don't think it's any different this year with Harrell. He needs all the work he can get in camp given his injury and his lack of work in the offseason, but defensive tackle isn't a difficult position to learn in terms of the playbook. It's more difficult in terms of learning technique.

Back to top Report Abuse

putzerboo

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:24 pm Post subject: LJ or BJ?

With talks breaking down between the chiefs and johnson, what are the odds that you think TT would be willing to give johnson his 24 mil guaranteed money, that is assuming johnson would be willing to come here and play for us, and would it really be worth it for us to pursue that or should we just depend on jackson learning fast?

ROB DEMOVSKY: I can't imagine Larry Johnson being a good fit here. It would go against Ted Thompson's makeup to a) give up draft picks and b) spend basically top free-agent money on a single player.

Back to top Report Abuse

ssousek

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:24 am Post subject: Who is in charge????

According to the GB Press Gazette article by Pete Dougherty, the Packers have now reached a settlement with John Jones and are beginning the search for a new CEO & president. If Harlan, and the Exec Committee AND Board had done their job in the first place we would not be in the mess now of having to pay almost $3,000,000 as a settlement and expending energy, time and extra cost to fix a mistake. We have had too many of those mistakes lately under the present leadership, ie, hiring Mike Sherman as GM, then having to fire(and pay) him too. Who is in charge and responsible? Find those responsible and blame them, not John Jones or Mike Sherman. It is time that Harlan take some, if not most, of the blame for his poor decisions in the personnel area.

ROB DEMOVSKY: Sounds to me like you think Harlan is to blame. I will say this: $3 million is a drop in the bucket for an NFL team that has more than $100 million in cash reserves.

linebacker

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:41 pm Post subject:

Hello Rob,

I read somwhere that left tackle Joe Thomas drinks a gallon of milk a day and that got me thinking. What does the typical NFL linebacker eat? I was wondering because that is what I play.

Thanks,
Mickey

ROB DEMOVSKY: I've always thought that would be an interesting story -- what goes into an NFL player's body -- but I honestly couldn't tell you. I see players eating in the locker room all the time and it ranges from junk food/sweets/fast food to fruits and veggies.

Back to top Report Abuse

billirv

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:22 pm Post subject: Packers tight ends

Hello Rob,

Given that Bubba Franks was #3 on the depth chart during the OTA's, what do you think of Clark Harris' chances to beat him out by the end of training camp, making Bubba expendable? It seems to me that if Harris is motivated to be working hard on his blocking now, before camp starts, and shows much improvement in it during camp, with his smarts, production in college, and fine route-running, he would stand a decent chance to maybe even be the #2 TE. God knows we could sure use someone of his size inside the red zone! What do you think, Rob?

Bill Irving
Coeur d'Alene, ID

ROB DEMOVSKY: Bill, Harris is incredibly raw. I'm very curious to see what happens if Franks isn't the starter. Do they still keep him or do they cut him?

Back to top Report Abuse

kimmer62

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:11 pm Post subject: Chat with Rob Demovsky

Mr. Demovsky, Have you heard if coach McCarthy is going to have the team do more special teams work when training camp starts?

ROB DEMOVSKY: McCarthy doesn't have special teams practices like Sherman did, but he devotes a fair amount of time during practice to special teams. Given their struggles on special teams last year, I would think it would be a priority this year in camp. It seemed like it was during minicamp and OTAs.

Back to top Report Abuse

billirv

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:19 pm Post subject: Meeting Brett Favre Seepstakes

Hi Rob,

Do you know how I might be able to get 2 tickets for the Chicago game on Oct. 7th? That's the day the winner of the "Meet America's Quarterback" sweepstakes gets to meet Brett in Green Bay. My identical twin brother and I intend to win the chance to meet Brett and also watch him perhaps break Marino's career TD mark that night.

Thank you for any info you can provide us about getting just 2 tickets for that game.

Bill Irving
Coeur d'Alene, ID

ROB DEMOVSKY: Check out the classified ads from our paper, which I believe are on the website. There are always people selling tickets. I know there's at least one ticket broker in town. It's called the Ticket King.

Back to top Report Abuse

mckeougg

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:55 am Post subject: Our Next President

Thanks for taking my question. Dougherty's article last week suggested that some of the board members would like the next CEO to come from within the Board, which is to say without significant day to day experience in running an NFL franchise. Harlan seems to feel strongly that his eventual successor should be someone who has a track record at an NFL franchise. How do you see this being resolved?

ROB DEMOVSKY: My guess is that the next CEO will be a football/NFL guy.

Back to top Report Abuse

ssousek

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:49 am Post subject: Hidden meaning

Monday's Press Gazette headling was "Confident in Rodgers -Packers like 3rd-year pro as backup". Is there a hidden meaning in that headline? They may like him as a back-up, but how about as a starter?? Are they really sold on the guy and confident he can be Favre's replacement when he retires? Seems to me that waiting another year or more to find out is a waste of the pick the Packers used on him. Look at Pittsburgh, Denver, Buffalo, San Diego, etc. They draft or obtain a young guy and he is THE MAN within a year. It makes no sense for Rodgers to hold a clip board for 3-4 years. We sure could have used that pick to help us win now. But that should be no suprise to Packer fans. The moves of TT seem to indicate he does not want to win now. Sooner or later, now has to be a priority. Maybe next year, or the year after, or maybe TT will keep pushing us off into the future with the hope of putting together a winning team. "Wait until next year" should not be the goal.

ROB DEMOVSKY: I think you're trying to read too much into a headline. I can't say whether or not they're sold on Rodgers as Favre's eventual replacement. Thompson and his scouts are very careful in what they say about Rodgers, even off the record.

Back to top Report Abuse

tjwil18

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:58 pm Post subject: QB Position

Although we don't know yet if it is Favre's last year, I was wondering if you had any information on contracts. Is this his last contract year? Is there any clause in Rodgers contract that would allow the Packers to tack on more years if he wasn't a starter? How many years are left on Rodgers contract? Just hate to see Rodgers on the sidelines the entire contract only to leave GB when he might get his chance.

ROB DEMOVSKY: Favre is under contract through the 2010 season. Rodgers is under contract through the 2009 season. It's entirely possible that Rodgers contract could run out before Favre retires. There's no provision for years to be added to Rodgers contract. It's possible he could become a free agent without ever having been a starter.

Back to top Report Abuse

TNpackfan

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:45 pm Post subject: Training camp

Hi Rob, Thanks for the chat. Simple question - when you watch practice how can you tell if the offense is good and the defense bad or the reverse?

ROB DEMOVSKY: A simple, yet difficult question. It's apparently in certain drills, say one-on-one passing blocking/pass rushing drills which player (offense or defense) is better. But in team periods, you have to look for little things like who is making more mistakes or who is initiating the plays. It's tough. That's what games are for.

Back to top Report Abuse

Studmuffin

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:56 pm Post subject: GB Press Gazetter Reporters

Rob
Do any of the Packer beat writers have any actual football playing experience beyond the high school level?

P.S. I was disappointed in last week's chat since Mr V didn't get past page 1 of the postings. I know you won't let us down!

ROB DEMOVSKY: I never played football at any level, but I don't think that prevents me from being a knowledgeable observer of the game. Not sure about the rest of those on the Packers' beat.

Back to top Report Abuse

Studmuffin

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:03 pm Post subject: GB HOF

Rob - who's the next Packer player in your opinion to be inducted into the Packer HOF? Is Antonio Freeman a lock?

Are you aware of any preliminary discussions of a Favre statue being erected outside of Lambeau Field following his retirement? I'm assuming its a given that he will have some statute to recognize his legendary playing days in GB. We know his number will be retired, he'll go into NFL and Packer HOFs and he'll probably have his own street as well. Let's we can enjoy him on the field for a few more seasons.

ROB DEMOVSKY: The Packers Hall of Fame selection process if far more arbitrary than, say, the Pro Football Hall of Fame, so I really have no idea.

Back to top Report Abuse

aevansen

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:24 pm Post subject: tough to repeat

Hey Rob-
I've seen predictions for the Pack's season all over the place, from being a possible 'sleeper' team who may challenge the Bears, to a writer on NFL.com listing them as the NFC's worst team at 3-13. We're a team full of unknowns, with a bunch of young players, a second-year head coach and a first-time offensive coordinator. Oh, and no running back. Do you look at their schedule and cringe, as I do? What if we're competitive in a bunch of games but lose, end up with one of the worst records and thus the possibility of landing next year's Calvin Johnson? Does Favre return for that? Or is our only judgement going to come from being better than 8-8? Personally, I look at our pathetic showing against good teams last year and think we're still a couple years away.

ROB DEMOVSKY: I'm terrible at predictions and only make them because my editors make me. When they went 4-12 in 2005 I believe I picked them to go 9-7 or 10-6.

Back to top Report Abuse

abishopd

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:06 pm Post subject:

Rob,

USA recently did a poll of the greatest NFL players in the last 25 years. Favre was no 14 on the list but he was behind Peyton Manning, Dan Marino, Joe Montana Tom Brady and John Elway. I can't understand how Favre is behind any of those guys? If it is an individual award than none of these guys were better. Favre will have just about every NFL passing record after this season and he is the NFL's only 3 time NFL MVP. Yes he might not have as many superbowl rings as Elway, Brady or Montana but this is a team sport. Favre is one of the most underated NFL players of all time and I think his play in the past few years have caused people to forget how great his career was. Why do you think he continually gets underated after all he has done?

ROB DEMOVSKY: No idea. Who did USA Today poll? Fans? Experts? I don't know.

Back to top Report Abuse

ScottK

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:29 pm Post subject: Alcorn

What do you think of the TE Alcorn? From what I have read he catches anything thrown his way, does he have a chance at being #2 or #3 on the depth chart? Thank you for taking the time for these chats.

ROB DEMOVSKY: At least one Packers scout that I've talked to thinks Alcorn could be a player and has a better than 50-50 shot at making the team.
Thanks for all the questions tonight. Talk to you soon.