PDA

View Full Version : dark horses (couldn't drive me away,we'll ride them someday)

Harlan Huckleby
07-24-2007, 11:23 AM
I thought there was already a thread about training camp dark horses, a poll. Did it get moved to garbage can? I hope there wasn't another picture of a woman's ass cheeks involved.

No matter.

Been thinking about the recent history of training camp wonders, and can't think of any that panned out. Whisper Goodman, Atlas Herrion, Steve Josue, Mike Hawkins. Will Whittiker. Roy Manning. I can't think of single "dark horse" that stuck.

MJZiggy
07-24-2007, 11:47 AM
Did you mean this one? BTW, wasn't Jennings a training camp wonder?

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=7300&start=20

PlantPage55
07-24-2007, 11:49 AM
/\
Yeah, but he was also a 2nd round pick...

I'm looking for one of the undrafted Linebackers to be a big dark horse winner this year.

Harlan Huckleby
07-24-2007, 12:23 PM
ziggy, I have no explanation why i couldn't find that thread. It wasn't for want of trying.

Everybody loves a good rags-to-riches story. Every season one or two guys play the role in training camp. But then the guys are cut before regular season, or they last at most a season. I think Donald Driver is the last Cinderella story that panned out. It's not surprising, really, the last 1/4 of the roster is constantly turning over.

Is Patler around here anymore? He used to enjoy proving me wrong, I'm sure he would think of a few.

Iron Mike
07-24-2007, 01:06 PM
ziggy, I have no explanation why i couldn't find that thread. It wasn't for want of trying.

Everybody loves a good rags-to-riches story. Every season one or two guys play the role in training camp. But then the guys are cut before regular season, or they last at most a season. I think Donald Driver is the last Cinderella story that panned out. It's not surprising, really, the last 1/4 of the roster is constantly turning over.

Is Patler around here anymore? He used to enjoy proving me wrong, I'm sure he would think of a few.

How about Joe Andruzzi?? I'm thinking he was an UFA who got hurt in training camp, but stuck around 'cuz Beightol liked him, went to NFL-E his second season, was a backup guard and then was released. Of course, then he was a starter and got himself some rings. 8-)

Bretsky
07-24-2007, 01:18 PM
I thought there was already a thread about training camp dark horses, a poll. Did it get moved to garbage can? I hope there wasn't another picture of a woman's ass cheeks involved.

No matter.

Been thinking about the recent history of training camp wonders, and can't think of any that panned out. Whisper Goodman, Atlas Herrion, Steve Josue, Mike Hawkins. Will Whittiker. Roy Manning. I can't think of single "dark horse" that stuck.

Cullen Jenkins

Harlan Huckleby
07-24-2007, 04:14 PM
ya, Cullen Jenkins is an exception. Joe Andruzzi was 10 years ago, and if I'm not mistaken, never played a regular season down for Green Bay.

Joemailman
07-24-2007, 04:32 PM
Scott Wells and Mark Tauscher were both 7th round picks who made an immediate impression in training camp.

retailguy
07-24-2007, 07:15 PM
Colin Cole, Kevin Barry. both were productive for multiple seasons.

Noodle
07-24-2007, 07:16 PM
Didn't Hunter Hillenmeyer, a 5th rounder, make some buzz at camp, hung around on the roster, never played much, and then got cut at the end of the season?

Of course, now he's starting for the Bears.