PDA

View Full Version : MySpace deletes 29,000 sex offenders

Kiwon
07-24-2007, 06:51 PM
I was surprised by this and the fact that there are 600,000 registered sex offenders in the U.S.
.................................................. ..........................

MySpace deletes 29,000 sex offenders
Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:14PM EDT

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Popular Internet social network MySpace said on Tuesday it detected and deleted 29,000 convicted sex offenders on its service, more than four times the figure it had initially reported.

The company, owned by media conglomerate News Corp, said in May it had deleted about 7,000 user profiles that belonged to convicted offenders. MySpace attracts about 60 million unique visitors monthly in the United States.

The new information was first revealed by U.S. state authorities after MySpace turned over information on convicted sex offenders it had removed from the service.

"The exploding epidemic of sex offender profiles on MySpace -- 29,000 and counting -- screams for action," Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal said in a statement.

Blumenthal, who led a coalition of state authorities to lobby MySpace for more stringent safeguards for minors, and other state AGs have demanded the service begin verifying a user's age and require parental permission for minors.

The minimum age to register on MySpace is 14.

"We're pleased that we've successfully identified and removed registered sex offenders from our site and hope that other social networking sites follow our lead," MySpace Chief Security Officer Hemanshu Nigam said in a statement.

The service has come under attack over the past year after some of its young members fell prey to adult predators posing as minors. The families of several teenage girls sexually assaulted by MySpace members sued the service in January for failing to safeguard its young members.

Late last year, it struck a partnership with background verification company Sentinel Tech Holdings Corp. to co-develop the first U.S. national database of convicted sex offenders to make it easier to track offenders on the Internet.

Convicted sex offenders are required by law to register their contact information with local authorities. But the information has only been available on regional databases, making nationwide searches difficult.

As of May, there were about 600,000 registered sex offenders in the United States.

Harlan Huckleby
07-24-2007, 07:02 PM
i'd like to see a similar purge done at PackerRats.

I'm not sure I believe there are 600,000 registered sex offenders. That means there are roughly 12,000 in Wisconsin. Or 300 in every county. That's a lot of convicted pervs, I can't believe that many have been caught.

retailguy
07-24-2007, 07:07 PM
i'd like to see a similar purge done at PackerRats.

I'm not sure I believe there are 600,000 registered sex offenders. That means there are roughly 12,000 in Wisconsin. Or 300 in every county. That's a lot of convicted pervs, I can't believe that many have been caught.

Your math assumes even distribution. Population is not evenly distributed in this country. California would have a higher number of pervs based on the population.

Alaska doesn't have very many people and hence would probably have fewer than 12000 offenders.

Kiwon
07-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Assuming that the 600,000 number is correct, one has to wonder what the real total is once unregistered sex offenders and illegal alien pervs are added.

Jimx29
07-24-2007, 09:24 PM
http://www.nsopr.gov/

Jimx29
07-24-2007, 09:25 PM
dbl post

Jimx29
07-24-2007, 09:26 PM
triple post

retailguy
07-24-2007, 09:40 PM
triple post

that's one way to boost your post count... :wink:

retailguy
07-24-2007, 09:40 PM
triple post

that's one way to boost your post count... :wink:

and a second way to boost your post count! LMAO...

MadtownPacker
07-25-2007, 02:40 AM
i'd like to see a similar purge done at PackerRats.This must have been why you asked me to delete your account a few months back. Seems like you are always ahead of your time.

Harlan Huckleby
07-25-2007, 07:24 AM
oh, I think the PackerRats perv purge should not be limited to a few stragglers who post here irregularly. The investigation needs to go right to the top.

Harlan Huckleby
07-25-2007, 07:33 AM
Your math assumes even distribution. Population is not evenly distributed in this country. California would have a higher number of pervs based on the population.

WI is roughly an average sized state. If individuals across the country are equally likely to be perverted, estimate of 300 registered sex offenders per county is good guess.

Maybe there are more kid-touching opportunities in other parts of the country, and perverts are flocking there. Hmm, seems unlikely. My instincts are that Wisconsin takes a back seat to no other state in the union when it comes to perversion.

Jerry Tagge
07-25-2007, 01:07 PM
oh, I think the PackerRats perv purge should not be limited to a few stragglers who post here irregularly. The investigation needs to go right to the top.
Good to see you again President Huckleby. Do you want to start up Sam's Club again?

Tyrone Bigguns
07-25-2007, 02:33 PM

WI is roughly an average sized state. If individuals across the country are equally likely to be perverted, estimate of 300 registered sex offenders per county is good guess.

Maybe there are more kid-touching opportunities in other parts of the country, and perverts are flocking there. Hmm, seems unlikely. My instincts are that Wisconsin takes a back seat to no other state in the union when it comes to perversion.

You would be correct, sir. Wisco is above your stated 12K.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:uVDRK0sCXcUJ:oja.state.wi.us/docview.asp%3Fdocid%3D6601%26locid%3D97+total+regi stered+sex+offenders+wisconsin&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

18K in Wisco.

Harlan Huckleby
07-25-2007, 03:59 PM
18K in Wisco.

that's shocking. they have enough people to form their own political party. or dating service. I'm tempted to take a look at the online list.
http://offender.doc.state.wi.us/public/

edit: whew! I'm not on the list.

Freak Out
07-25-2007, 04:03 PM
Alaska baby! Woot! Number one per capita. Ah....well..... :oops:

http://www.familywatchdog.us/OffenderCountByState.asp

We also lead in some other very bad stats...

Harlan Huckleby
07-25-2007, 04:05 PM
Good to see you again President Huckleby. Do you want to start up Sam's Club again?

I don't know, President Tagge. Maybe it is time to move on. The kids today just don't understand.

Jerry Tagge
07-26-2007, 11:24 AM

I don't know, President Tagge. Maybe it is time to move on. The kids today just don't understand.
I know what you mean President Huckleby. Still, I think it's worth a shot.

Fosco33
07-26-2007, 06:10 PM
How can MN only have 130 sex offenders? Are the laws weak or not enforced? By far the lowest in the country...

You'd think it'd be relatively similar to neighboring states....

oregonpackfan
07-26-2007, 07:02 PM
How can MN only have 130 sex offenders? Are the laws weak or not enforced? By far the lowest in the country...

You'd think it'd be relatively similar to neighboring states....

Must be the effect of those Scandinavians eating too much Lutefiske! Cod baked in lye may be beneficial in more than one respect. :)

woodbuck27
08-06-2007, 10:47 PM
Alaska baby! Woot! Number one per capita. Ah....well..... :oops:

http://www.familywatchdog.us/OffenderCountByState.asp

We also lead in some other very bad stats...

If MN stands for Minnesota then it wins the:

"Jeee . . . we're a righteous state award."

Only 25.8 sex offenders / M ! . . . and all that Viking blood.