PDA

View Full Version : Strong Defense

packrulz
07-25-2007, 04:33 AM
Posted July 25, 2007

Packers by position: Defensive line are a 'pretty strong group'

By Pete Dougherty
pdougher@greenbaypressgazette.com

Just two years ago, the defensive line looked like the Green Bay Packers' Achilles' heel.

But after two seasons of decent play by committee, the emergence of Aaron Kampman as a Pro Bowler, the move of ascending Cullen Jenkins to defensive end late last season and the drafting of defensive tackle Justin Harrell in the first round this year, this front line is becoming the anchor for the defensive identity that General Manager Ted Thompson is building for his team.

"I think we've got a pretty good group (of defensive linemen), but I've felt that way since I got here," Thompson said. "We've made a few changes, but there's a lot of the same fellas here. We've moved some guys around, and I think one through nine, one through 10, however you look at that, it's a pretty strong group."

Several developments on the line especially are important to the Packers' defense, which finished 12th in the NFL in yards allowed but only tied for 25th in points given up, in Bob Sanders' rookie season as NFL defensive coordinator.

The most obvious and stunning was Kampman's blowout year in 2006 after signing a four-year, $21 million contract in 2006. He proved himself one of the most complete strong-side defensive ends in the NFL.

Kampman finished second in the league in sacks with 15½ and topped the 100-tackle mark (113) for the second straight season.

But whether the defense makes a big move up league rankings this year depends more on not only Harrell's performance as a rookie, but whether moving Jenkins to defensive end three plays into the Week 13 game at San Francisco makes as big a difference as the numbers in the final four games suggest.

At San Francisco, after Frank Gore ran to the Packers' right side for 78 yards on the 49ers' first two plays, Sanders replaced Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila with Jenkins at right defensive end. From that point on, the Packers allowed only 68 yards rushing to the 49ers, who finished sixth in the NFL in rushing yards per game. Excluding those first two plays, the Packers in the final four games gave up an average of 84.5 yards rushing per game, 206 yards in total offense per game and 10.5 points per game.

The defensive coaches say they didn't move Jenkins earlier because of an ankle injury in Week 5 that sidelined him for two weeks and hobbled him for several weeks thereafter. But the staff also might have been reluctant because the defensive scheme allows for smaller defensive ends to play wider and force plays inside even on early downs.

Regardless, the Packers will get a full season to find out how big a difference the 295-pound Jenkins makes replacing the 247-pound Gbaja-Biamila on early downs. The Packers are loathe to say Jenkins was the biggest reason for the late-season defensive surge and prefer to share that credit with good play elsewhere, but Jenkins' new contract suggests otherwise.

Just before the start of free agency this offseason, the Packers kept Jenkins off the open market by signing him to a four-year deal worth $16 million, including $6 million in signing and roster bonuses. That's a handsome deal for a player who flashed talent as an inside rusher but became an every-down player for only the final four games.

"(Jenkins) has that unique ability that he can play all four spots along the defensive line and you wouldn't feel like you're giving up anything," Thompson said. "He's remarkably gifted, God blessed him with outstanding quickness, balance and agility that's remarkable for someone that big. He's comfortable (at right end). It helps us a little bit against base running packages, and as we've done in the past, he'll be used inside in passing situations some."

Kampman, in the meantime, faces a major challenge matching his 2006 season statistically, but at 27 he's in his physical prime, along with having the intangibles such as work habits and instincts that coaches covet. Robert Nunn, one of the Packers' two defensive line coaches, recalled when he was an assistant coach for Miami, defensive end Jason Taylor went to the Pro Bowl in 2000 with 14½ sacks but had a better season the next year, when he missed out on the Pro Bowl and had only 8½ sacks.

"Who knows?" Nunn said when asked if Kampman possibly can match his 2006 season. "I know he'll be prepared to have another year like that, because he works so hard at it, studies the game so well. I'm not sure he can have 16 sacks, but he may have more — he had the opportunity to have more last year. It's funny how that stuff works. Sometimes they just fall your way and sometimes they don't."

The Packers drafted Harrell to work into their three- or four-man rotation at defensive tackle immediately and at some point early in the season surpass Corey Williams as the starter opposite Ryan Pickett. The Packers still haven't seen Harrell work against an offensive lineman in a practice setting, because he sat out all but individual drills during offseason practices while recovering from the torn biceps tendon that ended his senior season at Tennessee. He'll be 10½ months removed from surgery when training camp opens Saturday and is expected to be ready for full contact.

Thompson drafted Harrell (6-4, 310) as a pillar to build the defense around.

"I think he can (help immediately)," Nunn said. "He's got to get in there and get into live team situations and get out there in pads and show them. The guy is so big and strong, a tough player. When he was healthy, he showed a lot of toughness in there and a lot of range. I think he could make a difference. He's such a big body in there."

From top to bottom, defensive line probably is the Packers' deepest position.

With Gbaja-Biamila they have a situational pass rusher who has 64½ sacks in seven NFL seasons, though only 14 the last two years combined. At 29, he's not shown the explosion of earlier in his career and doesn't have the range of counter moves that top rushers possess, but he might benefit from playing fewer snaps.

Second-year pro Johnny Jolly and third-year pro Colin Cole should battle for the fourth defensive tackle spot, and third-year pro Michael Montgomery is the top candidate for the fourth defensive-end position. Undrafted Jason Hunter made the roster last year because of his pass-rush potential and will need to be game ready this season to win a roster spot.

CaliforniaCheez
07-25-2007, 06:14 AM
Traditionally the team goes with 5 DT's and 4 DE's.

Pickett, Harrell, Williams, Cole, Jolly. It could be Williams' and Cole's final year with the Packers. So watch who makes the practice squad as a possible member of next year's squad.

At DE, Kampmann, KGB, and Jenkins will make the team. Montgomery and Hunter compete. They could both make it if If Cole is cut because Jenkins can play DT.

Somebody will be posting upset at who gets cut here.

wist43
07-25-2007, 07:44 AM
Good line, maybe even a very good line...

The depth should keep everyone relatively fresh, and there is a good mix of players that have strengths in different areas of their games.

At DT, Harrell and Pickett should excel at stopping the run; while Williams and Jenkins serve as legit pass rush threats from the DT position on passing downs.

At DE, Kampman is an all around, every down end, Jenkins is much stouter than KGB against the run, while KGB should be more effective as a pass rusher with fewer snaps.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-25-2007, 09:54 AM
Good line, maybe even a very good line...

The depth should keep everyone relatively fresh, and there is a good mix of players that have strengths in different areas of their games.

At DT, Harrell and Pickett should excel at stopping the run; while Williams and Jenkins serve as legit pass rush threats from the DT position on passing downs.

At DE, Kampman is an all around, every down end, Jenkins is much stouter than KGB against the run, while KGB should be more effective as a pass rusher with fewer snaps.

Does this make the defense vulnerable to a hurry up offense? With some many players good at different things I know if I was a coach I would tell my offense to forget the huddle and play fast so to keep the same guys in their.

wist43
07-25-2007, 10:12 AM
Substitutions are a way of life for every team... "hurry up" isn't going to change much.

If a team goes into a "hurry up", chances are that the defense is going to be in the nickel or dime to begin with anyway. If it's simply a tactical move where the clock isn't actually a factor, switching to the nickel is simply a matter of Poppinga running off, and Walker or Blackmon running on.

As for the DL in those situations, most of those guys are fairly interchangable, and it's not like Harrell and Pickett offer nothing on the pass rush. Pass rushing isn't their forte, but they can still bull rush effectively and collapse the pocket.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-25-2007, 10:22 AM
Substitutions are a way of life for every team... "hurry up" isn't going to change much.

If a team goes into a "hurry up", chances are that the defense is going to be in the nickel or dime to begin with anyway. If it's simply a tactical move where the clock isn't actually a factor, switching to the nickel is simply a matter of Poppinga running off, and Walker or Blackmon running on.

As for the DL in those situations, most of those guys are fairly interchangable, and it's not like Harrell and Pickett offer nothing on the pass rush. Pass rushing isn't their forte, but they can still bull rush effectively and collapse the pocket.

Thanks for the info, I was just woundering how the team would react in that situation.

4and12to12and4
07-25-2007, 11:35 AM
We probably are still no where near how good the Bear's d-line was before Harris went down, but, if Harrell is good at all, I love the possibilities our line presents in terms of rotation. That is what helped Jimmy Johnson win a couple SuperBowls (obviously they were talented in many other positions as well).

A little off subject, I was watching comcast and saw that the Bears have now signed both Tillman and Vasher to long-term deals, and Lovey commented that he thinks they are the best cornerback tandem in the league. I'd like to hear some response to that comment, whether you think it is legit or not. They mentioned that these two corners are the only two that have recorded double-digit interceptions between them or something like that. Anyways, it immediately made me think, jeez, Harris and Woodson aren't exactly bush-leagers. Would any of you rather have Vasher and Tillman? And, if you say yes, but only because of age, how about, if you had to pick just for this year, who would you choose?

Packnut
07-25-2007, 11:41 AM
We probably are still no where near how good the Bear's d-line was before Harris went down, but, if Harrell is good at all, I love the possibilities our line presents in terms of rotation. That is what helped Jimmy Johnson win a couple SuperBowls (obviously they were talented in many other positions as well).

A little off subject, I was watching comcast and saw that the Bears have now signed both Tillman and Vasher to long-term deals, and Lovey commented that he thinks they are the best cornerback tandem in the league. I'd like to hear some response to that comment, whether you think it is legit or not. They mentioned that these two corners are the only two that have recorded double-digit interceptions between them or something like that. Anyways, it immediately made me think, jeez, Harris and Woodson aren't exactly bush-leagers. Would any of you rather have Vasher and Tillman? And, if you say yes, but only because of age, how about, if you had to pick just for this year, who would you choose?

They are very good for 1 reason and that is the Bear's pass rush. That is why I expect Woodson and Harris to have pro-bowl seasons. It's much easier to cover for 3 or 4 seconds than 6 or 7.

Freak Out
07-25-2007, 11:48 AM
With the exception of Harrell we have a good D-line at this point that can even get better over the next couple of years. But I don't understand how all the experts have him beating out Williams half way through the season when the dude has been injured and has never played a down in the NFL.

Brohm
07-25-2007, 02:22 PM
Jolly was touted for his leadership/ability last year when he was drafted. Supposedly dropped due to an ankle injury. I'm really interested in seeing what kind of progress he makes with an offseason in the workout program.

4and12to12and4
07-25-2007, 02:26 PM
Jolly has truly been lost in all of our offseason talk, it will be interesting to see if he ends up making a difference, when healthy, he at least got some experience last year.

HarveyWallbangers
07-26-2007, 12:08 AM
Looks like Kamp is ready.

Kampman raring to go

Pro Bowl defensive end Aaron Kampman spent the off-season recovering from arthroscopic knee surgery.

For that reason, Kampman didn't participate in team drills at minicamp and OTA practices.

Kampman, who accumulated 15.5 sacks in a breakout 2006 season, said over the weekend his knee is 100%.

"I'm really geared up and ready to go," said Kampman, who was named the Packers’ 2006 defensive MVP and accepted the award Saturday at the Packers Hall of Fame banquet.

-- Mike Vandermause, mvandermause@greenbaypressgazette.com

packrulz
07-26-2007, 04:29 AM
Traditionally the team goes with 5 DT's and 4 DE's.

Pickett, Harrell, Williams, Cole, Jolly. It could be Williams' and Cole's final year with the Packers. So watch who makes the practice squad as a possible member of next year's squad.

At DE, Kampmann, KGB, and Jenkins will make the team. Montgomery and Hunter compete. They could both make it if If Cole is cut because Jenkins can play DT.

Somebody will be posting upset at who gets cut here.

I agree, with Jenkins able to play both well they could go with 5 DE's. Cole is alright but he's just average imo.

packrulz
07-26-2007, 04:37 AM
Posted July 26, 2007

Packers by position: Great expectations surround Hawk, LBs

By Pete Dougherty

The next three to five years will show whether General Manager Ted Thompson was right to choose linebacker A.J. Hawk with the fifth pick in the 2006 draft rather than tight end Vernon Davis.

The Packers think Hawk's promising rookie season suggests they have a perennial Pro Bowler in the making.

Though it's likely a stretch to project Hawk as an MVP-type defensive player similar to Chicago's Brian Urlacher, the Packers think Hawk has the tangible and intangible talents to be better than, say, Atlanta linebacker Keith Brooking, who has gone to five Pro Bowls in his six NFL seasons.

"This guy (Hawk) can run, he knows how to play, he's very strong, he's dedicated," Thompson said. "He works his tail off, and I think he sees himself as a player. So, yeah, I think he's a heck of a player."

As a rookie starter at weak-side linebacker, Hawk didn't jump out early in training camp but improved throughout camp and the season. He beat out middle linebacker Nick Barnett for the team lead in tackles (155 to 141), had 3½ sacks, defended nine passes and had a hand in five turnovers (two interceptions and fumbles recovered, one fumble forced).

Making the Pro Bowl should be a realistic goal for Hawk, even early in his career. Brooking made his first Pro Bowl as a rookie, and DeMarcus Ware, an outside linebacker in a 3-4 alignment, made it as a second-year pro last season. The NFC's other two outside linebackers in last year's Pro Bowl were San Francisco's Julian Peterson and Tampa Bay's 34-year-old Derrick Brooks. Chicago's Lance Briggs would have been one of the three but couldn't play because of an injury.

"I don't have a crystal ball to say (he'll be a perennial Pro Bowler)," said Bob Sanders, the Packers' defensive coordinator.

"But certainly, he's a guy that definitely you try to build around because he's very instinctive, a hard worker, he's a very physical player. He leads by just the way he plays. Certainly, the expectation level for him to be in and around big plays is there."

With Hawk and Barnett, the Packers potentially have one of the best linebacker pairings in the NFL. The two almost never come off the field — Sanders plays a nickel defense, with Hawk and Barnett on the field, on many downs in which other teams would use a dime defense (one linebacker, six defensive backs).

To ensure keeping the pair together for the next several years, the Packers signed Barnett to a five-year, $35 million contract extension that includes about $11.5 million in first-year bonuses and salary.

Barnett, who had nine passes defended last year, won that extension in part because of his durability. He's missed only two games in his four-year career, one in 1993 because of an ankle injury and one last year because of a broken hand.

Third-year pro Brady Poppinga, meanwhile, recovered from a handful of costly pass-coverage errors early last season and held onto his job as strong-side linebacker, less than a year removed from knee-reconstruction surgery. The converted college defensive end never might be anything but OK in coverage, but he plays with abandon and adds a physical dimension.

Though he had only one sack, he's an option as an occasional outside rusher or blitzer on passing downs.

"I think he did OK (in coverage last year)," Thompson said. "You've got to remember he was a down lineman in college, so he's still learning the position a little bit. As you know, he'd run through a wall to do good. He plays hard, he's physical, and we'll work on him for that other stuff."

The Packers are excited to see second-year pro Abdul Hodge in training camp to see if he's rebounded from a knee injury. One of their biggest disappointments last season was the third-round pick's fade after an excellent start as a run defender in the first two weeks of training camp.

For a short time, it looked like Hodge might force his way into the starting lineup, perhaps precipitating moving Barnett to strong-side linebacker. But Hodge leveled off as camp went on, and when he got his chance to play in the regular season — against Seattle in November when Barnett was out with a broken right hand — he flopped. Seattle rushed for 235 yards and averaged 4.9 yards a carry, in part because of Hodge's struggles.

However, Hodge had missed five games earlier in the season because of a knee injury and had to sit out all offseason while his knee healed — it didn't require surgery — so it's unclear how much it affected his performance in that game.

Hodge will have to follow up his offseason layoff with a superb training camp to convince the Packers he should displace Poppinga in the starting lineup and justify moving Barnett. Hodge probably isn't fast enough to start anywhere but at middle linebacker, so if he's one of the best three, Barnett probably would have to move to Poppinga's strong-side spot.

"He didn't play his best game (at Seattle)," Thompson said, "but he's been a good player for a long time (in college). We don't worry about that too much."

Thompson is trying to build the Packers' depth at linebacker, especially for special-teams play.

He re-signed Tracy White, a fifth-year pro who was a special-teams core player last year. He used a fifth-round draft pick on California's Desmond Bishop (6-foot-2, 241), who lacks straight-line speed but impressed the scouting staff with his instincts. He also signed undrafted rookie Rory Johnson (6-0, 237), who has big-league speed but tested positive for marijuana twice while at Mississippi and enters the league one positive drug test away from a four-game suspension.

"(Johnson) was a really good football player at Ole Miss," Thompson said. "(He) ran all over the field, made tackles everywhere, has speed, quickness, loves to play, has instincts. And we saw that this spring. He looks fine. You don't know how it's going to work, but we're glad we've got him right now."

First-year pro Spencer Havner had a good offseason, and with standout special-teams play could win one of the likely six spots that will go to linebackers.

wist43
07-26-2007, 10:39 AM
Watched a little tape last night... paid very close attention to Hawk and Barnett.

It was fun to watch Hawk take on lead blocks, shed, and still get to the ball. As I've said previously, my opinion of Hawk continues to go up. Easily GB's best LB in many years.

Barnett played ok... it's interesting to watch him next to Hawk - no comparison. Barnett was playing more physcial than he has in the past though... perhaps Hawk's toughness and physicality is setting a better tempo and tone for the defense. Still, I don't expect Barnett to be much better than average.

Poppinga is good for what they ask him to do... no need for an upgrade here - unless Johnson, or Simpson, or someone steps up and blows the coaching staff away.

Hodge and White might be looking for work by the end of training camp. Hodge belongs in the middle in a 3-4, and White is too limited athletically. He's very tough, and ok on ST's - which might help him stick, but he'll never be starter from scrimmage.

packrulz
07-27-2007, 04:39 AM
Posted July 27, 2007

Position-by-position: Who will fill safety gap?

By Pete Dougherty

The Green Bay Packers have had a safety problem for about five years now.

During that time, one of their starting safeties has been a liability, whether it was Marques Anderson, Antuan Edwards or Mark Roman from 2002-05, or free agent Marquand Manuel last season.

The Packers yet again will try to solve that problem this season by upgrading the strong safety opposite Nick Collins, whom they hope will blossom into a top player in 2007.

They haven't written off the 28-year-old Manuel, who had groin and calf injuries last year, but they have at least two young players who have a decent shot at beating him out for the starting job: third-year pro Marviel Underwood and third-round draft pick Aaron Rouse.

"It came as a surprise to me that (Manuel) is moving better now than at any time I've been around him," said defensive backs coach Kurt Schottenheimer of Manuel's play at offseason practices. "Coming off the injury in the Super Bowl (with Seattle) affected his groin, and later on, favoring that he pulled a calf muscle and missed a lot of time. So I'm excited about that part. But there's a couple young kids that are very, very talented, so there will be competition."

General Manager Ted Thompson signed Manuel early in free agency in '06 to a five-year deal that included $2 million in bonuses because he knew him from his time as head of Seattle's personnel and thought the former backup would be the solid quarterback the team had lacked for several years at strong safety.

But Manuel's calf injuries sidelined from the offseason through the first three weeks of training camp, and he never performed as Thompson projected.

Though Manuel tried to be the leader of the secondary, he was at fault for several blown assignments early in the season that cost big plays, and though he was a good tackler near the line of scrimmage, had his problems playing in space all season.

There's a decent chance Underwood, a fourth-round draft pick in 2005, would have displaced him sometime during the season, but after a good start in training camp, Underwood blew out his knee in the preseason opener at San Diego and missed the rest of the year. He didn't take part in any offseason practices while recovering from knee-reconstruction surgery, but should be ready for the start of camp.

Like most players coming off serious injury, he probably will take part in only one practice on the days when the team practices twice. The Packers won't know until a few weeks into training camp whether the third-year pro is close enough to full strength to win the job.

"I know he's doing everything he possibly can to get himself ready to go," said Bob Sanders, the Packers' defensive coordinator.

Rouse, in the meantime, is an unusually big safety (6-4, 223) with a reputation as a big hitter. Thompson picked him late in the third round, No. 89 overall, projecting he at least could challenge for a starting job as a rookie and immediately improve special-teams coverage.

Rouse did nothing in the offseason to suggest he can't pick up the defense in his first season, and the Packers also like his ability to match up with top-tier tight ends because of his size. But to win the starting job, Rouse will have to play big when the pads go on.

"We're looking for a guy that's 6-4 and 230 pounds to hit like a guy that's 6-4 and 230," Schottenheimer said. "So we'll let that play out and find that out on the field."

The Packers also are looking for Collins' talent to show up on game day more than it did in his first two years as a starter. The second-round pick from 2005 is their fastest defensive back, and his ability to run and tackle never was more evident than last year against New Orleans, when he played a key role in holding Reggie Bush to only 5 yards rushing in six carries and 68 yards receiving in eight receptions.

Collins finished fifth on the team in tackles (102) last season and had three interceptions, 16 passes defended and two fumbles forced. All were improvements over his rookie year (96 tackles, one interception, nine passes defended and one forced fumble), but the Packers are desperate for difference-making players, and Collins' physical talent puts him among their best hopes to become one.

"He's special," Schottenheimer said. "He's got a great feel for the system and what his responsibilities are. And later on (last) year he started to become more instinctive, where he can go get involved in a play. He was playing cautiously, so to speak, as it related to coverages."

Second-year pro Atari Bigby, who was promoted from the practice squad after nine games last season, showed good range in the offseason and could be a long-shot candidate to push for a starting job. Second-year pro Tyrone Culver probably is the team's smartest safety, and second-year pro Charlie Peprah, picked up after final cuts, also has a shot at one of the four roster spots at safety.

Another of the important battles in training camp will be for No. 3 cornerback, where incumbent Patrick Dendy, free agent Frank Walker and second-year pro Will Blackmon will contend. The nickel back usually is on the field for about half of the defense's snaps a game.

Dendy has a slight edge after offseason practices, but there are questions about whether the 190-pounder is physical enough to hold the job in camp.

"Pat Dendy has made as much improvement from the end of the season to now as anybody that we have," Schottenheimer said. "He's done an excellent job, playing with a lot more confidence. He's doing things that winning performers have to do to play at a winning level."

Walker (5-11, 196), a fifth-year pro who was a backup for the New York Giants last season, was the Packers' only free-agent signing this year. Blackmon missed most of his rookie season last year because of a slow-healing broken foot sustained in the offseason and then a rib injury four weeks after his return that landed him on injured reserve.

The Packers are sound, if aging, at starting cornerback, where 31-year-old Al Harris and 30-year-old Charles Woodson return for their second year in tandem. Harris, a pro's pro, usually covers the opponent's best receiver each week and had as good a season as ever in '06 (three interceptions, 20 passes defensed).

Early last season, Woodson looked like a possible free-agent bust after Thompson paid him $10.5 million in first-year pay. But he picked up his play as the season went on and finished tied for third in the NFL in interceptions with eight.

I'm rooting for Rouse, 6'4", 223 lbs, hits hard, I hope he can play.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-27-2007, 09:27 AM
I think Collins will play great this year so am not worried about that spot. At strong safety, I think our man is on the team we just have to find him. I really believe someone is going to be a player out of Rouse, Underwood, and Culver. Hopefully someone steps up at that position this year.

RashanGary
07-27-2007, 10:03 AM
Things are looking pretty good for my boy, Dendy. I really think he's going to play a valuable role in our defense. Barring a suprise from Blackmon or Walker (both of whom I doubt), I think Dendy is easily our 3rd best corner and a good candidate for our Nickle back.

I think we could play a lot of nickle with Dendy playing CB and Woodson playing slot. then we have Manuel who is like a mini LB and Barnett/Hawk as our LB's. I don't know, I think that package could prove to be a versatile one in the upcoming season.