Bretsky
07-25-2007, 08:54 AM
NO SURPRISE HERE

Briggs, Bears near deal
Teammate says LB will sign, be at camp

By David Haugh
Tribune staff reporter

July 25, 2007, 12:51 AM CDT

One of the biggest questions facing the Bears all off-season has been when linebacker Lance Briggs will end his holdout from training camp.

Maybe it won't even begin.

There were strong indications Tuesday night the two sides either were coming close to an agreement that would end a messy contract dispute or had solved it altogether.

Reached on his cell phone, Briggs said "no comment" when asked if he had agreed to sign the one-year contract tender worth a guaranteed $7.2 million and report on time Thursday to the start of training camp in Bourbonnais.

But earlier in the night a Bears teammate who had spoken with both Briggs and a league source said the linebacker had agreed to sign the deal and avoid a holdout the Bears had been dreading.

Asked about the rumors Briggs had agreed to sign the contract and report on time, the player said, "True."

Efforts to reach his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, were unsuccessful.

Rosenhaus and the Bears have continued to speak even after the July 16 deadline to work out a long-term deal for franchise players passed. After a visit to Halas Hall last month, Rosenhaus said he had presented some creative proposals to the team.

Among them were believed to be the possibility of paying Briggs a large portion of the $7.2 million up front, which would serve as a smaller signing bonus. The Bears also have offered to rescind the franchise tag on Briggs for 2008 if he agrees to end the impasse and begin what they believe can be a Super Bowl season.

A team source said it would be fair to say recent discussions left many in the organization hopeful a resolution could be reached in time for the start of camp.

It has been a busy month of planning ahead for the Bears. Locking up cornerback Charles Tillman to a six-year extension Tuesday came weeks after signing an extension with cornerback Nathan Vasher.

The Bears probably didn't envision making that type of commitment to one position group, but when Briggs turned down a long-term contract offer in 2006, the team said it was moving on to other core players.

Asked about Briggs during a teleconference, Tillman said, "I'm going to miss him."

Perhaps it won't be as long as he thinks.

pack4to84
07-25-2007, 09:39 AM
I hope he signs so the bears don't have any excuses this time when the Packer whip them again this year.

CaliforniaCheez
07-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Rosenhaus and his clients often say false statements and certainly inflamatory ones.

Briggs said he would never play another down for the Bears.
Everyone knew with a franchise tag that was false.

After the deal listen to him say how happy he is (once a deal is done) as a two faced lying Rosenhaus client.

The whole stupid situation is disgusting.

4and12to12and4
07-25-2007, 12:29 PM
I ABSOLUTELY, HATE, ABHOR THE ABOMINATION THAT IS THE BEARS. THEIR UTTER EXISTENCE IS AN AVERSION OF ALL THAT IS GOOD. I AM IN DISGUST WHILE THINKING OF THEM, AS MY DISLIKE FOR THEM BRINGS ABOUT A HORRIBLE FEELING OF HORROR AND HOSTILITY. THAT THEN BREEDS A FEELING OF ILL-WILL THE LIKES OF AN IRRITATING OOZING PUSS. IF YOU COULD ONLY REALIZE THE MALIGNITY AND OBJECTIONABENESS (?) WHICH INFURIATES AND REPULSES ME TO REIGN REVENGE WHILE SHUDDERING IN SPITE AND VENOM AT THEIR FEET, ONLY THEN, COULD YOU FEEL MY HATRED FOR THE BEARS.

I need to thank Thesaurus.com for it's contrbution to this post.

Freak Out
07-25-2007, 12:38 PM
I ABSOLUTELY, HATE, ABHOR THE ABOMINATION THAT IS THE BEARS. THEIR UTTER EXISTENCE IS AN AVERSION OF ALL THAT IS GOOD. I AM IN DISGUST WHILE THINKING OF THEM, AS MY DISLIKE FOR THEM BRINGS ABOUT A HORRIBLE FEELING OF HORROR AND HOSTILITY. THAT THEN BREEDS A FEELING OF ILL-WILL THE LIKES OF AN IRRITATING OOZING PUSS. IF YOU COULD ONLY REALIZE THE MALIGNITY AND OBJECTIONABENESS (?) WHICH INFURIATES AND REPULSES ME TO REIGN REVENGE WHILE SHUDDERING IN SPITE AND VENOM AT THEIR FEET, ONLY THEN, COULD YOU FEEL MY HATRED FOR THE BEARS.

I need to thank Thesaurus.com for it's contrbution to this post.

Oh come on...you don't hate them..you just dislike them.

The Leaper
07-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Rosenhaus and his clients often say false statements and certainly inflamatory ones.

It isn't just Rosenhaus and his guys. It is EVERY player in the NFL. How many dozens of guys in the last few years have made the same kind of banter about not playing...and how many actually have?

I can't recall ANY player leaving money on the table and sitting out for an extended period of time. You just don't leave $7M sitting on the table unless you are an idiot. You can die tomorrow...and your family doesn't have that money unless you sign the contract.

That is PRECISELY why Ted Thompson was an ignorant fool when Javon Walker had his little hissy fit. Put the screws to the player and put a FAIR DEAL on the table...one that forces them to either eat their own words or shut up.

If there is something on the table that is fair compensation (which Briggs certainly has in a franchise deal) the player is ALWAYS going to take it rather than sit out. It is hard to turn down multi-million dollar contracts. VERY hard.

retailguy
07-25-2007, 01:33 PM

Briggs said he would never play another down for the Bears.
Everyone knew with a franchise tag that was false.

After the deal listen to him say how happy he is (once a deal is done) as a two faced lying Rosenhaus client.

The whole stupid situation is disgusting.

Perhaps we should all swear our allegiance to soccer and stop watching football. Then situations like the above would go away because no one would care.

4and12to12and4
07-25-2007, 02:10 PM
Well, in TT's defense, he did offer Javon a nice, little deal, unfortunately, it was WAY after he should've and as much as I love Brett, I have always said that he should've kept his mouth shut about the whole thing, but please let's not rehash that whole thing.

Heck, I actually think that they screwed Ahman Green. A lesser character player would have called out the organization for leaving him hanging without a contract deal, and then making him earn a one-year crappy deal after he got injured. All that he did for the organization, and I'm not saying I think we should've matched Houston's offer, that's a lot, I just think that Javon and Ahman both got jacked around in GB, and it hurts our rep as an organization that we don't take care of our own.

Ahman Green would've been GB's all-time rush leader, and deserved it, and we put the screws to him, not this year, but two years ago, before he was injured and we didn't give him a deal. I'm gonna catch hell for this post, and I don't care, it's how I feel about both players' situations.

The Leaper
07-25-2007, 04:05 PM
Heck, I actually think that they screwed Ahman Green. A lesser character player would have called out the organization for leaving him hanging without a contract deal, and then making him earn a one-year crappy deal after he got injured.

Green was well compensated. He was 3rd or 4th highest on the team in terms of his cap number back in 2003/2004. He never got a blockbuster deal from Green Bay, but he always has been compensated fairly ($3-4M per year) since his first long term deal in GB.

Coming off a major injury, there wasn't any NFL team that would've given Ahman a big deal. The Packers gave him a $2M one year deal with another $2-3M in incentives. Again...fair. It gave him a chance to get the deal he got with Houston.

Sure, a guy could complain...but as I pointed out, it doesn't get them anywhere. They either play or leave millions on the table. It isn't hard to figure out why they end up playing.

Bretsky
07-25-2007, 05:10 PM

It isn't just Rosenhaus and his guys. It is EVERY player in the NFL. How many dozens of guys in the last few years have made the same kind of banter about not playing...and how many actually have?

I can't recall ANY player leaving money on the table and sitting out for an extended period of time. You just don't leave $7M sitting on the table unless you are an idiot. You can die tomorrow...and your family doesn't have that money unless you sign the contract.

That is PRECISELY why Ted Thompson was an ignorant fool when Javon Walker had his little hissy fit. Put the screws to the player and put a FAIR DEAL on the table...one that forces them to either eat their own words or shut up.

If there is something on the table that is fair compensation (which Briggs certainly has in a franchise deal) the player is ALWAYS going to take it rather than sit out. It is hard to turn down multi-million dollar contracts. VERY hard.

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

red
07-25-2007, 05:25 PM
espn.com is reporting that briggs has signed his tender

he'll play this year for them for the 7.2 million

story

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2949139

HarveyWallbangers
07-25-2007, 06:06 PM
Sounds like this is the precursor to him leaving next year. After July 16th, he was no longer able to sign a long-term deal with the team. The Bears agreed not to put the franchise tag on him after this season. A deal could get worked out, but I know the Bears have a backup LB they like a lot. I believe his name is Jamar Williams.

Rastak
07-25-2007, 06:10 PM
Sounds like this is the precursor to him leaving next year. After July 16th, he was no longer able to sign a long-term deal with the team. The Bears agreed not to put the franchise tag on him after this season. A deal could get worked out, but I know the Bears have a backup LB they like a lot. I believe his name is Jamar Williams.

Yup Harv, I think they'll use him this year and groom a successor then let him walk for whatever the compensation will be for losing him. Should be a fairly high pick.

HarveyWallbangers
07-25-2007, 06:19 PM
Yup Harv, I think they'll use him this year and groom a successor then let him walk for whatever the compensation will be for losing him. Should be a fairly high pick.

I believe he'll be an UFA, so they won't get jack for him--except salary cap room.

Rastak
07-25-2007, 06:28 PM

I believe he'll be an UFA, so they won't get jack for him--except salary cap room.

Unless they changed the rules, they get a pick if their free agent losses outweigh their gains....

Am I missing something? Doesn't compensastion rise as high as a 3rd or 4th?

retailguy
07-25-2007, 06:33 PM

Unless they changed the rules, they get a pick if their free agent losses outweigh their gains....

Nope you're not missing anything. You do get compensatory picks for losses in UFA. We got one for Rivera recently... Higher than we thought too....

HarveyWallbangers
07-25-2007, 06:36 PM

That's true, but you're assuming that they won't sign FAs to offset it. If they didn't sign anybody, they'd likely get a 3rd or 4th round draft pick.

BTW, that reminds me, I hope Ahman does very well in Houston, so that the Packers can get a 3rd or 4th round pick for him next year.

BallHawk
07-25-2007, 06:38 PM

I believe that blame goes both ways. The mistake that Javon made (even though he may not view it as a mistake) is that he burned bridges. If he would of said "I am not satisfied with my pay and I will not play until I have a new contract" maybe, just maybe, something could of been done. However, he went on with his rambling bullshit about how he'll never come back to Green Bay. Obviously, he was blowing hot air, but he should of been more business like. But that's J-Walk for you, he's a player on the field and an idiot off the field.

I understand the people that say he should of locked him up before it got out of hand, but I also understand the side that says TT was right in his ways. I tend to lean to the right, but that does not mean I think TT did no wrong.

BEARMAN
07-25-2007, 06:51 PM
I hope he signs so the bears don't have any excuses this time when the Packer whip them again this year.

Again ? Da BEARS won the one that MENT somthing ! :roll:

Packnut
07-25-2007, 06:53 PM

I believe that blame goes both ways. The mistake that Javon made (even though he may not view it as a mistake) is that he burned bridges. If he would of said "I am not satisfied with my pay and I will not play until I have a new contract" maybe, just maybe, something could of been done. However, he went on with his rambling bullshit about how he'll never come back to Green Bay. Obviously, he was blowing hot air, but he should of been more business like. But that's J-Walk for you, he's a player on the field and an idiot off the field.

I understand the people that say he should of locked him up before it got out of hand, but I also understand the side that says TT was right in his ways. I tend to lean to the right, but that does not mean I think TT did no wrong.

Problem is TT acted totally different with Harris and that is why I have such a HUGE problem with the Walker fiasco. If you remember, AL started bitching to the press and hinting at how unhappy he was, but Teddy went to him and told him he'd work it out with him and Harris backed off with what he said in public. Had be been smart enough to to that with Walker, our offense would be very different right now.

Rastak
07-25-2007, 06:55 PM

That's true, but you're assuming that they won't sign FAs to offset it. If they didn't sign anybody, they'd likely get a 3rd or 4th round draft pick.

And it's a fair assumption that they wouldn't sign a Briggs type deal. They could surprise but I'm guessing they'll be compensated.

retailguy
07-25-2007, 08:00 PM

And it's a fair assumption that they wouldn't sign a Briggs type deal. They could surprise but I'm guessing they'll be compensated.

Thanks a lot. I don't really want to think about the Bears being "compensated". They don't need any more ammo.... :x

HarveyWallbangers
07-25-2007, 09:23 PM

Here we go again.
:D

They don't have to sign one guy to a Briggs type deal. It depends mainly on two criteria: 1) contract totals of the FAs gained and lost, 2) how well the FAs gained and lossed do. They didn't sign many FAs this offseason (Archuleta was one of the few), but they have in the past (Muhammad, Miller, Ruben Brown, Tait, Ricky Manning, Griese). I don't think it's a stretch to think that they might sign some FAs next offseason.

Rastak
07-25-2007, 09:25 PM

Here we go again.
:D

They don't have to sign one guy to a Briggs type deal. It depends mainly on two criteria: 1) contract totals of the FAs gained and lost, 2) how well the FAs gained and lossed do. They didn't sign many FAs this offseason (Archuleta was one of the few), but they have in the past (Muhammad, Miller, Ruben Brown, Tait, Ricky Manning, Griese). I don't think it's a stretch to think that they might sign some FAs next offseason.

The FA deal Briggs will get will be HUGE.....they need to sign a helluva lot of players to offset that. I may have to bookmark this thread to see if I have to eat crow.

Bretsky
07-25-2007, 09:34 PM
I think this is a precursor to the Bears signing Briggs long term.

retailguy
07-25-2007, 09:38 PM

They can't. Only a one year deal or they lose the franchise tag for the duration of the contract.

They have to wait until the end of the season.

Bretsky
07-25-2007, 09:44 PM

They can't. Only a one year deal or they lose the franchise tag for the duration of the contract.

Can't they rewrite that one year deal ? Here I thought they signed this to get him in camp while they worked on a long term deal

retailguy
07-25-2007, 09:47 PM

Can't they rewrite that one year deal ? Here I thought they signed this to get him in camp while they worked on a long term deal

Not sure that can be done. I think they have to play out the tag, otherwise the July deadline wouldn't really mean anything, would it?

BEARMAN
07-25-2007, 09:59 PM
Done Deal ! Briggs signed and will show up and play ! Put that one to bed ! 8-) :lol:

Bretsky
07-25-2007, 10:08 PM
Done Deal ! Briggs signed and will show up and play ! Put that one to bed ! 8-) :lol:

If true I sure am glad Briggs signed the one year deal because they are not winning it all this year. The AFC is elite; at least three teams are better than the Bears.