PDA

View Full Version : WTF - KOREN IS BACK IN THE CLINK

green_bowl_packer
07-25-2007, 05:38 PM
I really hope this was part of his deal, if not cut bait.

Per profootballtalk.com

POSTED 6:21 p.m. EDT, July 25, 2007

KOREN IS BACK IN THE CLINK

Sean Jensen of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that Packers receiver Koren Robinson currently is jailed in Minnesota.

Per Jensen, Robinsons was incarcerated on July 18 in St. Peter, Minnesota, just north of Mankato, where the Vikings conduct their training camp. A year ago, Robinson led police on a high-speed chase on his way back to Vikings camp, and thereafter was cut.

The reason for the imprisonment isn't clear, nor is its potential effect on Robinson's ability to gain reinstatement from a one-year suspension imposed by the NFL after he had signed with the Packers.

Robinson is due to be released on August 2.

BallHawk
07-25-2007, 05:39 PM
Isn't that for his mad dash back to the team's quarters when he was a Vike?

Freak Out
07-25-2007, 05:41 PM
Is this part of his punishment from the last decision?

HarveyWallbangers
07-25-2007, 05:42 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he got into trouble again (I expect it to happen), but I'm not sure this is anything new.

Spaulding
07-25-2007, 05:49 PM
Given the location and short duration I'm guessing it's for his past transgressions. Can't imagine he'd make a road trip back or through the wasteland of Southern Minnesota to Mankato for any other reason.

As for counting on him this year, I think TT pretty much implied his lack of confidence on it being any certainty by drafting two WR's and going after Moss (even if in limited fashion).

Having him or Bodiford (sp?) step up to provide a decent KR game could be huge this year. Especially if we play are playing low scoring affairs due to our defense stepping up and being stingy.

KYPack
07-25-2007, 06:02 PM
It was probably part of his deal.

KRob did some bad shit on his "Midnight ride".

I don't doubt Mankato wanted a piece of him, too.

If he goes down again, he'll get time in 2-3 more counties.

Rastak
07-25-2007, 06:08 PM
I really hope this was part of his deal, if not cut bait.

Per profootballtalk.com

POSTED 6:21 p.m. EDT, July 25, 2007

KOREN IS BACK IN THE CLINK

Sean Jensen of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that Packers receiver Koren Robinson currently is jailed in Minnesota.

Per Jensen, Robinsons was incarcerated on July 18 in St. Peter, Minnesota, just north of Mankato, where the Vikings conduct their training camp. A year ago, Robinson led police on a high-speed chase on his way back to Vikings camp, and thereafter was cut.

The reason for the imprisonment isn't clear, nor is its potential effect on Robinson's ability to gain reinstatement from a one-year suspension imposed by the NFL after he had signed with the Packers.

Robinson is due to be released on August 2.

Umm.....what's with the WTF? You make it sound unexpected. When he was in Seattle he showed up for jail drunk on an alchohol related offense.

When you do that, it is official, you are hopeless....which is very sad since he seems like a real nice guy.

edit: It sounds to me like this one is actually scheduled as KY mentioned. I'm sure the unscheduled ones will come soon enough. I hope I'm wrong on that, even if you guys probably don't believe me.

GBRulz
07-25-2007, 08:20 PM
Umm.....what's with the WTF? You make it sound unexpected. When he was in Seattle he showed up for jail drunk on an alchohol related offense.

I think he is just wondering what many of us are. Which is whether or not this is part of his past problems or some new trouble he got into, that's all.

retailguy
07-25-2007, 08:23 PM
I'll go out on a limb here... The chances of Koren Robinson helping this team in 2007 are slim and none, and I think Slim just left town.

green_bowl_packer
07-25-2007, 09:56 PM

I think he is just wondering what many of us are. Which is whether or not this is part of his past problems or some new trouble he got into, that's all.

Correct - I thought he served concurrent 90 day sentences for the Seattle incident and the Minnesota incident together, that's why he wanted to do the time in GB. I was under the impression he was done with his jail time.

Joemailman
07-25-2007, 10:15 PM
Relax everyone

Wednesday, July 25, 2007
No new charges against Robinson
Koren Robinson's latest incarceration in Minnesota is part of a previous sentence and not new legal issues, the Nicollet County Sheriff's Office said Wednesday night.

Robinson, cut by the Minnesota Vikings after a drunken driving arrest during training camp a year ago, had been transferred to Brown County Jail in April to serve the last 45 days of a 90-day jail sentence on ankle monitoring and working at a local hospital.

He was not arrested before he was readmitted to Nicollet County Jail on July 18, a sheriff's office spokesman said, and is scheduled to be released Aug. 2. The spokesman declined to say to which charge the latest incarceration was related. Robinson received two 90-day sentences after the arrest -- including one for violating probation stemming from a 2005 drunken-driving arrest in Washington state -- but was expected to serve them concurrently.

The Pioneer Press first reported late Wednesday afternoon that Robinson was in jail in St. Peter, Minn., where last August he started police on a high-speed chase that ended near the Vikings' training camp in Mankato, Minn. After the Vikings released him 11 days later, Robinson signed a two-year deal with the Packers and played in two games while awaiting and then appealing his one-year NFL ban.

Robinson can apply for reinstatement no sooner than Sept. 18 and, if reinstated, would be under contract through 2008.

— Tom Pelissero, tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

posted by PackersNews.com at 9:02 PM | 0 Comments

gbpackfan
07-25-2007, 11:31 PM
I'll go out on a limb here... The chances of Koren Robinson helping this team in 2007 are slim and none, and I think Slim just left town.

Really? Where have you been the past 10 years? You should know by now that the NFL gives players chance after chance after chance. K-Rob will play football again and it will probably be with the Packers.

Rastak
07-26-2007, 05:39 AM

Really? Where have you been the past 10 years? You should know by now that the NFL gives players chance after chance after chance. K-Rob will play football again and it will probably be with the Packers.

Yea, the new commish has been a very lenient sort so far hasn't he. :wink:

gbpackfan
07-26-2007, 06:54 AM
Name a player that he has refused to reinstate after serving his suspension? He was going to allow Pacman Jones to attend training camp for Christ's sake. More and more players are getting arrested. He has done a few things with some high profile cases, but the NFL is still a thug league. K-Rob will be back.

Rastak
07-26-2007, 07:12 AM
Name a player that he has refused to reinstate after serving his suspension? He was going to allow Pacman Jones to attend training camp for Christ's sake. More and more players are getting arrested. He has done a few things with some high profile cases, but the NFL is still a thug league. K-Rob will be back.

How long has he been in power? He hasn't faced a guy coming off a year suspension yet so who knows?

I do agree that he'll most likely be re-instated.

retailguy
07-26-2007, 09:03 AM

I've been right here watching football for the past 10 years. Over that span many players have come and gone. Many have gotten into trouble and been given chance after chance after chance. You can name those on ONE HAND that actually shaped up at some point and became team leaders and productive players.

It would take PAGES of paper to list all those that failed at that same task.

Why is Koren any different?

Let's just say he gets reinstated on Sept. 18th. He rejoins the Packers that day, and they get a 2-4 week roster exemption for him to "get him into shape". Odds are that he is not in football shape. I'm sure he can excersize while in the clink, but to the level that these guys need to do? Not likely. Then, we need to consider he has missed ALL of training camp, ALL preseason games, ALL minicamps, the 1st two regular season games(perhaps the 1st FOUR games), and hasn't played football in as many as 54 weeks.

Yes, he'll be ready to go... For heavens sake... :roll:

Besides, which promising rookie does Thompson cut to bring this guy back on the team? How does that fit Thompsons beliefs and mold?

MJZiggy
07-26-2007, 09:12 AM
Besides, which promising rookie does Thompson cut to bring this guy back on the team? How does that fit Thompsons beliefs and mold?

Robert Ferguson? He should be injured right about that time...

retailguy
07-26-2007, 09:16 AM

Robert Ferguson? He should be injured right about that time...

I seriously question whether Robert makes the team. I think if both rookies make it (which they should), Ferguson's chances get iffy.

If he does make it, and Koren replaces him, I surely won't lose sleep over that, HOWEVER, I still don't think Koren adds that much in 2007.

Rastak
07-26-2007, 10:11 AM

gbpackfan, it's a new world emerging in the NFL

ODELL THURMAN'S APPEAL DENIED by Michael David Smith

The Bengals announced today that they have been notified by the office of NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell that linebacker Odell Thurman’s petition for reinstatement has been denied.

The decision means Thurman won't play at all this year. Thurman has the opportunity to reapply for reinstatement following the 2007 season.

Thurman played for the Bengals as a rookie in 2005, but he was suspended for the entire 2006 regular season for violation of the NFL’s Substance Abuse Policy.

Joemailman
07-26-2007, 10:21 AM

I agree that chances are he won't be on the team come October. However, that could change id nobody is doing the job as a kick returner. That he can do, and wouldn't necessarily need a lot of preparation time to get ready.

retailguy
07-26-2007, 10:25 AM

gbpackfan, it's a new world emerging in the NFL

ODELL THURMAN'S APPEAL DENIED by Michael David Smith

The Bengals announced today that they have been notified by the office of NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell that linebacker Odell Thurman’s petition for reinstatement has been denied.

The decision means Thurman won't play at all this year. Thurman has the opportunity to reapply for reinstatement following the 2007 season.

Thurman played for the Bengals as a rookie in 2005, but he was suspended for the entire 2006 regular season for violation of the NFL’s Substance Abuse Policy.

Interesting.... Wow. This guy seems serious.

retailguy
07-26-2007, 10:28 AM

I agree that chances are he won't be on the team come October. However, that could change id nobody is doing the job as a kick returner. That he can do, and wouldn't necessarily need a lot of preparation time to get ready.

Well, Joe, point taken. But in all fairness, I think for Koren to really help us, he needs to be more than a kick returner. We have other options for that. That Clowney guy can flat out fly. If he can catch and is not afraid to be a return man, he might render Koren moot for that need.

The above posts cast a large cloud over Koren and whether or not he gets reinstated, doesn't it?

It doesn't look good, so I guess I'm "negative" related to Koren too. :P

swede
07-26-2007, 11:18 AM
My impression of K Rob is that he is not a thug, but a kid who is struggling with a dangerous addiction to alcohol.

My impression of Roger Goodell is that he finds himself needing to become very, very tough with players in order to protect the league from serious trouble. And if he is going to lay down the wood on the players from one team he has to lay it down equally hard on players from other teams; it is more important for him to APPEAR fair than it is for hin to BE fair.

Certainly because of his own conduct, but also because of the bad conduct of other players around the league, Koren Robinson's situation is that he may not be reinstated this year, despite his efforts to get clean and stay out of trouble, as the commissioner sends one message after another to NFL players.

The Packers don't need Koren Robinson in order to continue to improve as a team. But I have nonetheless been rooting for the guy to redeem his life and kick the alcoholism. His return to the NFL after overcoming addiction would make for a great story.

the_idle_threat
07-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Thurman continued to screw up during his suspension. By all reports so far, K-Rob has been clean---he's just serving the time for his past transgressions.

I don't see the Thurman situation forming any kind of precedent for K-Rob being denied reinstatement, as things now sit. This assumes, of course, that K-Rob continues to keep his act straight.

I'm skeptical of that happening, but he's proven me wrong so far. Good for him.

I think Goodell sends a much more consistent message by denying reintatement only to guys like Thurman who continue to screw up, while allowing guys back who have actually changed their behavior for the better. Otherwise, the suspensions seem arbitrary.