HarveyWallbangers
07-25-2007, 11:57 PM
Not sure if this was poster or not.

Green Bay's defense has strong backing
Talented trio lead the way
By ROB REISCHEL, JSO
Posted: July 25, 2007

Green Bay - Click, clack.

That was A.J. Hawk's line as a pitchman for a certain line of footwear last year.

When Hawk got onto the field, Green Bay's rookie weak-side linebacker had a lot more to say. And words like whack, thump and wallop replaced click and clack.

Hawk enjoyed a productive rookie season in which he finished third in the Associated Press defensive rookie of the year balloting. Now, with a year of experience, Hawk seems poised for a monstrous season and he's a major reason why Green Bay's linebackers have gone from a weakness to a strength in 18 short months.

"I think A.J. Hawk is a prime-time player in the National Football League," Green Bay head coach Mike McCarthy said. "And I think that will be proven as he moves forward."

When the 2005 season ended, Packers general manager Ted Thompson was comfortable with Nick Barnett as his starter in the middle. But he determined Green Bay could never be more than marginal with Robert Thomas on the weak side, Na'il Diggs on the strong side and Paris Lenon filling in wherever needed.

So Thompson jettisoned all three and began remaking the group. Thompson took Hawk with the No. 5 overall pick in the 2006 draft and committed to Brady Poppinga - who was recovering from a torn ACL - on the strong side.

Hawk certainly seems as though he'll live up to his lofty draft status. And Poppinga improved greatly throughout 2006 as his health got better.

Today, no one would place Green Bay's starting linebackers among football's elite units. But with an average age of just 25.3, they could be headed in that direction.

"I think it's a really solid group," Packers defensive coordinator Bob Sanders said. "They all can run, they all can cover, they all can blitz. So it just gives you a lot of flexibility."

Certainly, no one has a more complete package of those skills than Hawk. Hawk has first-rate speed, is incredibly instinctive and is extremely athletic.

A year ago, Hawk led Green Bay with 155 tackles, the second-most ever recorded by a Packers rookie. (Rich Wingo had 166 in 1979). Hawk led Green Bay's linebacking unit with 3½ sacks and was named to the Pro Football Weekly/Pro Football Writers Association all-rookie team.

"He's very talented, a linebacker that can play in any scheme," McCarthy said of Hawk. "I think that speaks for itself. You can see his comfort in our scheme, and he is definitely a run-and-hit explosive type player and does a good job in the passing game."

As the 2006 season went on, Hawk's game got better and better.

Hawk had a whopping 17 tackles and a sack against Minnesota in Week 9, then posted a season-best 20 tackles at Seattle in Week 11. Hawk then had a breathtaking interception at San Francisco in Week 13 when he snared a ball intended for tight end Vernon Davis. Hawk also intercepted a pass from Chicago's Brian Griese in the season finale.

Hawk had some early problems in pass coverage and he can be engulfed in the run game by offensive linemen. For the most part, though, he lived up to his six-year, $37.5 million contract in Year 1.

"I think he's a guy on the come," Sanders said of Hawk. "Even though he was good, I think he'll have a chance to start fast, too.

"He played well and did a nice job. And I think his feel for the game and seeing things will help him make more plays just because he's used to being in those positions."

Hawk is a coaches' dream, as football consumes his life. Strength and conditioning coach Rock Gullickson says no one spends more time in the weight room than Hawk. On top of that, Hawk has a workout gym in his own house, as well as a hyperbaric oxygen therapy system in his bedroom.

Hawk has oxygen pumped into his bedroom from three different machines. And the system is designed to help cut down the recovery time for Hawk's body between games, practices and workouts.

"This guy is all football, all the time," Sanders said of Hawk. "He's a gym rat. He loves to hang around. If you'd tailor-make one or order one, you'd take the specs off him."

Barnett, another former first-round draft pick, was signed to a six-year, $34.85 million extension in April. But after Barnett encountered legal issues in June, the Packers have to be questioning their huge financial commitment.

Barnett is slightly undersized to play in the middle, but he led the Packers in tackles his first three seasons and was second (141) to Hawk last year. Barnett, who has a motor that never quits, led the Packers with 5½ tackles for loss and combined with Hawk, gives Green Bay its best linebacking duo in years.

"Just really, really solid," Sanders said of Barnett. "He's a real leader on our defense."

Barnett struggles in coverage and allowed eight plays of at least 20 yards last year and 4½ touchdown passes. But his biggest problem right now isn't football.

Barnett was arrested June 17 for battery after allegedly being involved in a physical altercation at an Appleton night club. The case is still pending, though, and Barnett will be at training camp.

"I know it's only one, but I'm not going to sit here and justify one incident because it shouldn't happen," McCarthy said. "Those things should not happen, and we need to learn from it so it doesn't happen again."

The incredibly intense Poppinga blew out his knee on Dec. 11, 2005, then made a spirited recovery and was back on the practice field just eight months later. But with a limited training camp and rust from his layoff, Poppinga struggled early in 2006.

He was exposed in pass coverage - some his own fault, some the fault of shoddy schemes by Sanders. But as the year went on, Poppinga got better and better and his future appears incredibly bright.

Poppinga finished the 2006 season with 76 tackles (seventh), one sack, one interception and a pair of forced fumbles. Now, after a highly impressive off-season, Poppinga seems poised for a big 2007.

"Being able to practice and train yourself makes a big difference, that's for sure," Poppinga said. "To be able to go out there and actually do what I'm going to do on Sunday . . . instead of being thrown into the whole mix of things at the last moment, it's a treat to me to be doing this."

Middle linebacker Abdul Hodge, a third-round draft choice in 2006, had a disappointing rookie season. Hodge was inactive eight games, and when he got his chance on a Monday night in Seattle, he struggled immensely. Hodge missed four tackles and was a major reason why the Seahawks ran for 235 yards, including 201 by Shaun Alexander.

Hodge's best chance of seeing the field would be by moving to the outside. But he doesn't run well enough, and now appears stuck behind Barnett for the foreseeable future.

Tracy White, a fifth-year player, gives Green Bay virtually nothing from scrimmage. But he's almost a lock to make the team because he was the Packers' top special teams player a year ago.

Green Bay is likely to keep six linebackers, meaning the final spot will be highly contested.

Rookie Desmond Bishop, a sixth-round draft choice, doesn't run well but is a tremendous run stuffer. He'll have to beat out a group, though, that includes intriguing rookie Rory Johnson.

Johnson is a tremendously gifted player who went undrafted because of character issues. But if the Packers believe they can keep him in check, he might be worth the gamble.

"Well, Johnson, the one thing that jumped off the film watching him at Ole Miss is he definitely fits our scheme," McCarthy said. "Bob (Sanders) and (linebackers coach) Winston (Moss) refer to it as getting off the spot, and he has exceptional quickness and instincts. He definitely fits."

The Packers believe their linebackers are a pretty good fit, overall. And if Green Bay's defense is to move from good to great in 2007, Hawk & Co. figure to be a major reason why.

"I've been impressed with the way the older guys have really taken their game to another level," McCarthy said. "It's very evident when A.J. and Nick and Brady are in there, but I think it really helps the younger guys, because they've set the standard.

"So as a group, I think we're way ahead of where we were at this time last year. I really like the way the young guys have acclimated themselves and . . . I think it will be a very healthy group as far as competition in training camp."