PDA

View Full Version : Muslim "honor killing" in London

Kiwon
07-26-2007, 08:03 AM
Woman raped before "honor killing": court

Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:54AM EDT

LONDON (Reuters) - A Kurdish woman was brutally raped, stamped on and strangled by members of her family and their friends in an "honor killing" carried out at her London home because she had fallen in love with the wrong man.

Banaz Mahmod, 20, was subjected to the 2-1/2 hour ordeal before she was garroted with a bootlace. Her body was stuffed into a suitcase and taken about 100 miles to Birmingham where it was buried in the back garden of a house.

Her badly decomposed body was found in April 2006, three months after the killing.

Last month a jury found her father Mahmod Mahmod, 52, and his brother Ari Mahmod, 51, guilty of murder after a three-month trial. Their associate Mohamad Hama, 30, had earlier admitted killing her.

On Thursday at a pre-sentence hearing for Hama, the Old Bailey heard details about Banaz's last moments.

Prosecutors said the three convicted men, along with two other suspects who are still at large, had carried out the killing fearing that the authorities were closing in on them.

They believed Banaz had brought shame on the family by leaving her husband, an Iraqi Kurd she had been forced to marry at 17, and falling in love with Rahmat Suleimani, an Iranian Kurd.

Her former unnamed partner had raped her as well as repeatedly beating her, the court heard.

Hama, who prosecutors said had been a ringleader in the murder, was caught by listening devices talking to a friend in prison about the murder.

In the recordings, transcripts of which were relayed to the court, Hama and his friend are hearing laughing as he described how she was killed with Banaz's uncle "supervising".

"I was kicking and stamping on her neck to get the soul out. I saw her stark naked, only wearing pants or underwear," Hama is recorded as saying.

His lawyers say there is no evidence to support the prosecution's claims.

The decision to kill her came after a meeting on January 23 -- the day before she was murdered -- when the family decided to take action before the police could foil their attempts, said prosecutor Victor Temple.

Hama is due to be sentenced on Friday with Mahmod Mahmod and his brother, Ari.

LL2
07-26-2007, 08:57 AM
What kind of people are these Muslims that they kill their own daughter for falling in love with someone that's not Muslim? You hear about people writing off their daughter, but killing them?

MJZiggy
07-26-2007, 09:07 AM
But according to the article, the guy she fell in love with was an Iranian Kurd. He should be Muslim, shouldn't he? You're right, LL2, a good disownment is all that was necessary here. Write her out of the will and pretend she's not yours, but what kind of parent could do that?

Kiwon
07-26-2007, 09:14 AM
This kind of thing is not uncommon in parts of Pakistan and some other very strict Muslim enclaves, but it says something ominous that it occured in London.

There are whole sections of Muslim immigrants that are not integrating in the West and don't want to. In fact, a sizeable group of British Muslims said that they wanted to set up Islamic courts to settle their own disputes rather than submitting to the British legal system.

This poor girl never stood a chance - an arranged marriage at 17 to a man she didn't love and a family that cared for her so deeply that they arranged her rape and murder in their own kangeroo court in order to get their "honor" back.

"Honor?" What a joke.

Kiwon
07-26-2007, 09:20 AM
But according to the article, the guy she fell in love with was an Iranian Kurd. He should be Muslim, shouldn't he? You're right, LL2, a good disownment is all that was necessary here. Write her out of the will and pretend she's not yours, but what kind of parent could do that?

Generally, only Muslim men can divorce their wives. Not vice-versa. This was an arranged marriage and this girl was powerless against her family.

mraynrand
07-26-2007, 10:49 AM
If these guys had done this in Taliban Afghanistan, they'd probably have received a medal. They used to cut off the heads of adulteresses and put them on a stake in the front yard. Even though the U.S. state department saved a guy a while back, I think it's still a law in Afghanistan that if you reject Islam for another religion, you will be killed. But hey, no problem, it's just another culture, no better or worse than our own. We should celebrate this diversity. Our main goal in the U.S. should be to fight the 'American Taliban,' otherwise known as evangelical Christians. They're every bit as bad, and they're trying to take over our country.

Kiwon
07-26-2007, 11:09 AM
Our main goal in the U.S. should be to fight the 'American Taliban,' otherwise known as evangelical Christians. They're every bit as bad, and they're trying to take over our country.

Exactly. Finally someone gets it.

In fact, one of the those American Taliban (a.k.a. - evangelical Christians) came up to me and said, "God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life." Then he asked me if I had any problems and offered to pray with me. Can you believe that guy? That's the equivalent of the Taliban in Afghanistan shooting the Korean hostage 10 times in the head, chest, and stomach yesterday.

Man, those American Taliban are dangerous extremists. Lucky for me that I survive to type this. That Korean guy is dead.

Freak Out
07-26-2007, 12:01 PM
It's not just Islamic cultures that condone this kind of action, you will hear many of these same kind of things happening in Hindu India and Asia as well as Tribal Africa. Cultural diversity? Same old male dominance and barbarism. The poor evangelical Christians...I hope everybody stops picking on them as well. :cry:

LL2
07-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Our main goal in the U.S. should be to fight the 'American Taliban,' otherwise known as evangelical Christians. They're every bit as bad, and they're trying to take over our country.

Really? Take over the country? I thought many consider the "Christian Pilgrims" as the ones that founded the country? If you're a Native American your view might be different.

retailguy
07-26-2007, 12:54 PM

Really? Take over the country? I thought many consider the "Christian Pilgrims" as the ones that founded the country? If you're a Native American your view might be different.

I think he's being tongue in cheek, however, you could claim that there is a major effort underway to re-write history.

LL2
07-26-2007, 12:56 PM

I think he's being tongue in cheek, however, you could claim that there is a major effort underway to re-write history.

I wouldn't disagree with that. I never have done the research but if you analyze the history books over the past 50 years I'm sure you would see a significant change.

Fosco33
07-26-2007, 06:00 PM
Well, the US was involved with witch hunts for awhile (if you can fly, you're a witch and therefore should be killed; if you can't fly, we're sorry).

Just playing both sides here. The fact of killing your daughter for this is pretty nutso (as were witch hunts).

Kiwon
07-26-2007, 07:23 PM
From India.........

Woman Stripped After Being Branded Witch In Jharkhand

Monday 23rd of July 2007

A women was stripped and brutally beaten with hot iron rods after she was branded a witch and held responsible for the death of a woman in a Jharkhand village, police said Monday.

The incident came to light only after a week when the woman from Dadighagar in Hazaribagh district, about 130 km from here, approached some local reporters Sunday.

Basdeo Manjhi said 45-year-old Chandmuni Devi had used black magic against his wife who died of snakebite on July 14. He complained to the panchayat that ordered that Chandmuni be stripped and beaten with hot rods and sickles.

Chandmuni and her husband braved threats and filed a police complaint against six people five days later. But the police did not take any action either and the couple approached the media for help.

Witch-hunt cases are rampant in Jharkhand. More than 600 people, mostly women, have been killed in last 10 years after they were charged of practicing black magic.