PDA

View Full Version : Joey Harrington's Last Chance

oregonpackfan
07-26-2007, 04:24 PM
With the multiple charges of gambling and animal abuse pending, it appears that Micheal Vick will be suspended for a minimum of 4 games. The maximum penalty scenario is that his NFL career will be over.

This leaves Joey Harrington as the starter for the Atlanta Falcons. As Harrington has struggled in his NFL career for both the Lions and the Dolphins, this opportunity to start for the Falcons may be his last opportunity to make it in the NFL.

I readily admit I am very biased in my wishes to see this guy succeed in the NFL. Heck, I even remember seeing film highlights when he starred at Portland's Central Catholic High School!

It was inspiring to see his spirited, outstanding play as quarterback for the Oregon Ducks. He was a great leader well respected by his coaches and peers.

Off the field, he is a fine young man. He comes from a close-knit, extended family, is involved in charity work in Portland, and is an accomplished jazz pianist. He is the kind of young man you would want your daughter to marry.

On the pro field level, he had the misfortune of being drafted and expecting to start for one of the worst organizations in pro football-the Detroit Lions. He suffered through 4 miserable years.

He had another opportunity to start with a better team and organization--the Dolphins. He struggled there as well.

This season with his third NFL team, the Falcons, could well be Harrington's Last Hurrah at the Pro level. Though the fan part of me is hoping for the best for him, the reality part is saying this will probably be his last year in the pros.

Freak Out
07-26-2007, 04:28 PM
He had another opportunity to start with a better team and organization--the Dolphins. He struggled there as well.

Thats debatable. The better team and organization part that is.

Merlin
07-27-2007, 06:47 PM
Harrington actually played okay with the Dolphins. He stunk up Detroit but hen again, what QB hasn't sucked in Detroit? The Falcon's offense should be better with a QB that can throw the ball. But, without a QB that can run for his life, they are doomed.

gbpackfan
07-27-2007, 06:50 PM
Joey Harrington is average at best. He has had chance, after chance, after chance. He was a bust in Detroit and a cry baby in Miami. Falcons fans need to be realistic. If he is your starting QB, you've got major problems!

Arthur Blank could sure use Matt Schaub right about now.

Scott Campbell
07-27-2007, 06:58 PM
Joey Harrington is average at best. He has had chance, after chance, after chance. He was a bust in Detroit and a cry baby in Miami.

You could have said the same thing about Vinny Testeverde early on too.

retailguy
07-27-2007, 07:04 PM
Joey Harrington is average at best. He has had chance, after chance, after chance. He was a bust in Detroit and a cry baby in Miami.

Or Steve Young too.

KYPack
07-27-2007, 07:46 PM

Or Steve Young too.

Young and Testeverde had big time arms and when they gained experience, both excelled. Joey has a weak arm. It's probably an adequate arm, but not strong enough to allow him to "gun" his way out of trouble.

That said, he might still have a long (if not real successful) career. Playing as long as he has is an asset. Teams always need a good back-up and situations like the Atlanta deal crop up every year.

gbpackfan
07-27-2007, 08:24 PM

Or Steve Young too.

I can't believe that you just made that comparison. When Steve Young got his chance, a real chance, he took full advantage of it. Steve Young shits bigger then Joey H!

retailguy
07-27-2007, 08:39 PM

Or Steve Young too.

I can't believe that you just made that comparison. When Steve Young got his chance, a real chance, he took full advantage of it. Steve Young shits bigger then Joey H!

Steve Young played for 4 years or so in Tampa Bay before he went to San Francisco. He sucked in Tampa Bay. It is a valid comparison. KY is right, big difference in arm strength, but, the supporting cast made a huge difference too.

gbpackfan
07-27-2007, 09:12 PM
Supporting cast does make a difference but so does talent. Steve Young has it, Joey H. doesnt. It's that simple.

KYPack
07-27-2007, 09:12 PM

Or Steve Young too.

Steve Young played for 4 years or so in Tampa Bay before he went to San Francisco. He sucked in Tampa Bay. It is a valid comparison. KY is right, big difference in arm strength, but, the supporting cast made a huge difference too.

This is an interesting thread. A buddy of mine & I were talking about Young and Testeverde on the course this weekend.

Stve played for 2 years in the USFL with the LA Express. The league folded and Young was drafted #1 in the Supplemental draft by the Tampa Bay Bucs. He had terrible numbers after 2 seasons and was traded by Tampa to the Niners where he backed up Montana and you all know the rest.

Tampa needed a QB & they drafted Vinny Testeverde as their #1 pick. Vinny eventually bombed out at Tampa Bay, but went on to be a very successful QB with other teams.

So the two guys mentioned both got their training with the same screwed up organization and became star QB's elsewhere.

One other thing about Young. He signed a 40 million dollar contract with the LA Express of the USFL. He agreed to take it an annuity. A 40 year annuity at 1 million per year. He is still getting paid on a contract with a league that has been bankrupt for 21 years!

oregonpackfan
07-28-2007, 11:35 AM
Steve Young's lowest point in his career may have been the infamous "Snow Bowl" against the Packers where he was sacked numberous times by the Packers.

I remember an interview with Young's mother as she was remembering that game. She recounted how terrible she felt for her son after the Packers sacked him headfirst into the snow. When he came up he could not see because his entire front of his helmet was encased in snow!

MadtownPacker
07-28-2007, 01:13 PM
I think Noodlearm Joe is gonna save his career in the ATL.