PDA

View Full Version : Who started the trend of paying too much?

Sef0r
07-26-2007, 05:16 PM
I cannot seem to identify the timeline between when the players were getting paid $50,000 a year to the rediculous amounts of money they get now.

I haven't followed this game long enough to know who the first player was to break the $1 million mark.

Seriously, players are getting paid way too much money as it is now and it is hurting the public when teams constantly put up prices to games, merchandise and what not.

I have never been to a game myself, mainly because I live in New Zealand but I've seen some of the ticket prices and for someone to fork out every week to a game it would make most people here broke.

The most expensive ticket prices I've come across in New Zealand for a sporting even is something like $50 for a normal seat. You people in the States pay something like $80 (converts to about $130 NZD) a game.

HarveyWallbangers
07-26-2007, 05:28 PM
It's supply and demand. Just like the movie and music industry. When people stop going to the games, prices will come down. If it's a choice between the players making the money or a fat cat owner, I choose the players. Never really bothered me. The players pay a big chunk of taxes, and help provide for government services--perhaps even saving me a few bucks in the process. With the owners, I figure they'd be able to hide a good chunk of it.

Rastak
07-26-2007, 05:37 PM
Yea, it is supply and demand. When the Television money got huge, the payments to the players got huge. Owners a return on their investment. Ticket prices rise. It's a bad cycle but it's capitalism, which we Americans love.

Freak Out
07-26-2007, 05:41 PM
Didn't the reorganization of a certain labor group in 1993 have something to do with it?

HarveyWallbangers
07-26-2007, 06:17 PM
It all started with FA, and I believe Curt Flood in the 70s is to get blame/credit for it. Salaries really started going up then.

Scott Campbell
07-26-2007, 08:30 PM
I cannot seem to identify the timeline between when the players were getting paid $50,000 a year to the rediculous amounts of money they get now.

I haven't followed this game long enough to know who the first player was to break the $1 million mark.

American NFL football does it the best of our 3 major sports, football, baseball and basketball. In basketball, contracts are guaranteed. Grant Hill of the NBA's Orlando Magic signed a long term lucrative deal, and proceeded to get hurt shortly thereafter. The team paid him big bucks for what seemed like forever, while he spent most of his time rehabbing. It severely crippled their franchise.

At least in football, teams can cut players and not be responsible for the remainder of their contracts.

NewsBruin
07-26-2007, 08:38 PM
<<Yea, it is supply and demand. When the Television money got huge, the payments to the players got huge. >>

I read on SI.com that the TV rights to the NFL are enough to cover all teams' salary cap by themselves.

I mean, clusbs have to have money for all the other operating expenses, but they're doing OK.

MJZiggy
07-26-2007, 08:39 PM
It might have all started with Reggie White...

Noodle
07-26-2007, 08:54 PM
I'd say it began with Joe Willie Namath's $400,000 contract in 1965. That was HUGE. After that, the rest was inevitable.