PDA

View Full Version : BUCS BOUNCE RICE

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-26-2007, 06:29 PM
In a move that is not a shocker but is still nevertheless surprising, the Bucaneers have cut defensive end Simeon Rice, according to Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com.

Rice was due to earn a base salary of $7.25 million in 2007, the final year of his contract. Per Glazer, the Bucs asked Rice to take a pay cut, and Rice refused.

Glazer reports that Rice had checked into camp, and was plucked from dinner for a meeting at which he was informed of the decision.

The move creates $7.25 million in cap space for the Bucs, which could be used to sign quarterback Daunte Culpepper, with whom the team met last week. Culpepper reportedly is seeking a one-year deal, which shouldn't be a problem for Gruden, who realizes that this one year could be his last year in Tampa.

Look for Rice to be courted by the Detroit Lions, who are coached by former Bucs defensive line coach Rod Marinelli. Other possibilities (as we see it) are the Bears, Steelers, and Vikings.

Freak Out
07-26-2007, 06:46 PM
Considering the situation in TB they could use Culpecker more than Rice at this time. I would hate to see him go to Detroit or Chicago.

retailguy
07-26-2007, 06:54 PM
Considering the situation in TB they could use Culpecker more than Rice at this time. I would hate to see him go to Detroit or Chicago.

But why? We will have the greatest OL in the history of the league this year.... Don't believe me? Just ask Justin Harrell.... :P

Rastak
07-26-2007, 06:55 PM

Vikes have a fair amount of cap room (22 mil) it might make sense for them to bring him in. They have a pretty young group that could improve but they didn;t get it done last year and who knows how much Rice have left in the tank.

Freak Out
07-26-2007, 07:45 PM

Vikes have a fair amount of cap room (22 mil) it might make sense for them to bring him in. They have a pretty young group that could improve but they didn;t get it done last year and who knows how much Rice have left in the tank.

If you play this guy smart he is still going to be trouble on passing downs. I forgot about the damn Vikings...he might be a good fit there as well.

Freak Out
07-26-2007, 07:50 PM
TB claims he failed his physical. I'm assuming his shoulder is still messed up.

HarveyWallbangers
07-26-2007, 08:57 PM
Good player just two years ago, so it wouldn't be a bad signing or anything to see what he has, but he is 33-years-old, played 8 games last year, and had just 2 sacks. More than likely, he doesn't have much left.

Bretsky
07-26-2007, 09:12 PM
Probably a good chance for somebody on edge of being a contender looking for a situational rusher

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-26-2007, 09:54 PM
I bet the skins sign him.

cpk1994
07-27-2007, 01:00 AM
I bet the skins sign him.
or the Vikes. I hear they want to balance the money spent on both sides of the line :)

Jerry Tagge
07-27-2007, 12:06 PM
I'd rather see Ezra Johnson or Dave Roller signed than Simeon Rice.

LaFours
07-27-2007, 12:51 PM

But why? We will have the greatest OL in the history of the league this year.... Don't believe me? Just ask Justin Harrell.... :P

Justin Harrell plays defense...and he has never lined up against our o-line to my knowledge.

Why would he be championing them as the greatest in the history of the league? :)

retailguy
07-27-2007, 01:05 PM

Justin Harrell plays defense...and he has never lined up against our o-line to my knowledge.

Why would he be championing them as the greatest in the history of the league? :)

Everyone loves a comic.... :roll: :wink:

Care to respond Justin?

The Leaper
07-27-2007, 01:08 PM
I doubt the guy has much left. He may make a few plays here and there, but for most teams it likely isn't worth it at this point. He certainly isn't the player he was 3+ years ago.

KYPack
07-27-2007, 05:00 PM

JH the poster

Not JH the All-Pro DT rookie.

KYPack
07-27-2007, 05:03 PM
Rice definitely ain't worth a base salary of $7.25 million.

He's pretty played out, but he plays all 3 downs.

What would it cost to cut KGB at this juncture?

I doubt thqat would happen, but if a net savings was there, I could see Rice as the 3rd down rush guy as opposed to Kabeer.

HarveyWallbangers
07-27-2007, 05:10 PM
I think I'd rather have Kabeer at this point.

Scott Campbell
07-27-2007, 05:50 PM

I'm a little torn on KGB. I think he's overpaid (thanks Shermy). But I'm really looking forward to see how he performs as a situational pass rusher this year.

But I don't have a lot of patience for him.

Merlin
07-27-2007, 06:37 PM
Rice in Packerland? Not while 3T is in charge. Even though 3T for whatever reason loves having a DL 257 players deep and only 1 starting WR, no proven RB, no proven FB and an OL that may not be the same starting 5 as last year. But 3T has baffled me before. We will probably sign him, we don't need no stinkin offense!

KYPack
07-27-2007, 06:53 PM

You are probably right, but I was thinking of this standpoint. Both guys are back-ups at this stage of their career. KGB gives a little more rush off the edge, but Rice is effective on all 3 downs. If we were forced to play either as a back-up, Rice would be the better fit.

it ain't gonna happen anyhow, but that was my thought.

HarveyWallbangers
07-27-2007, 07:00 PM
I don't agree that Rice is 3 down player. To me, at this point, they are the same player. KGB without the injury concerns. Rice probably for a smaller salary. KGB has been with the team, knows the system, and is a good teammate. He also probably has more years left in the tank.

KYPack
07-27-2007, 08:53 PM
I don't agree that Rice is 3 down player. To me, at this point, they are the same player. KGB without the injury concerns. Rice probably for a smaller salary. KGB has been with the team, knows the system, and is a good teammate. He also probably has more years left in the tank.

Might just be that Rice is now a "No down" DE.

NFL network said that Rice failed his physical.

Course, aging DE's with big contracts fail physicals when the team drafts a DE with their #1 pick like TB did!