Bulger remains in St. Louis with six-year deal

By Chris Mortensen
ESPN
(Archive)

Updated: July 27, 2007, 12:19 PM ET

* Comment
* Email
* Print

St. Louis Rams quarterback Marc Bulger, who skipped a mandatory meeting Thursday when the team reported to training camp, has agreed in principle to a six-year, $62.5 million contract that secures his future in St. Louis beyond 2007.

Marc Bulger

Bulger

Bulger's new deal includes $26.5 million in guaranteed money, sources said. He participated in the team's first on-field practice Friday morning after missing Thursday's meeting meeting when the Rams reported to camp.

Bulger had recently suggested he could stage a training camp holdout only to soften the threat, but when he missed the meeting Thursday it raised the specter of a looming camp absence even though Rams coach Scott Linehan described it as "excused ... for personal reasons."

Bulger had one year remaining on a four-year, $19.1 million contract. His agent, Tom Condon, was finalizing contract language on the new deal this morning with Rams general manager Jay Zygmunt.

With a $10.25 million average salary, Bulger's new contract would place him in elite company, just behind Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, Michael Vick, Tom Brady and Brett Favre as quarterbacks who make $10 million or more on average per year.

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN.

MadtownPacker
07-27-2007, 12:47 PM
Good cuz he sucks anyways. Product of the system and having Holt, Bruce, the white guy catch the ball with Jackson running the ball.

Packnut
07-27-2007, 12:54 PM
Good cuz he sucks anyways. Product of the system and having Holt, Bruce, the white guy catch the ball with Jackson running the ball.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

retailguy
07-27-2007, 01:04 PM

Too many battles in the barrio I guess... :wink:

Packnut
07-27-2007, 01:16 PM

Too many battles in the barrio I guess... :wink:

Yep :lol:

oregonpackfan
07-27-2007, 09:07 PM

I respectfully disagree with you, Madtown.

Bulger has always impressed me with his passing accuracy and his mental composure. I would not consider him all-Pro but I would rank him amoung the top 10 QB's in the league.

Cheesehead Craig
07-27-2007, 09:41 PM
A real good move by St. Louis. I think he's a real good QB and worth the money.

He's as much a part of that system as Holt, Bruce and Jackson.

Bretsky
07-27-2007, 10:44 PM
Rams are my second favorite team

I'm surprised how much they had to pay him; it just shows the pay scale is moving higher each month for quality players.

But I'm glad he's locked up

RashanGary
07-27-2007, 10:48 PM
Makes me worry a little about the Colts and Pats. They have Manning and Brady locked up in what is now discount contracts.

Bretsky
07-27-2007, 10:52 PM
Yes, they are.

And I feel a bit bad for Kampman. What terrible timing to sign a long term deal with the salaries going through the roof the year after you sign your deal.
What a bargain that one is. For the most part a ton of players clearly inferior to Kampman are going to be signing much bigger deals in the next few years.

HarveyWallbangers
07-27-2007, 10:57 PM
Depends how the contract was structured. I actually think Bulger is a very good QB. Perfect for that system.

MadtownPacker
07-27-2007, 11:56 PM
When your trigger happy, pass first coach (Martz) makes your ass sit down and lets the kicker tie a playoff game (vs Carolina in 2005) when your team was in thee red zone at the end of the 4th quarter it speaks volumes IMO. Bulger is sufficient but no where near the great QB you lamb chop lovers make him out to be.

I bet Noodlearm Joe would have had equal success in St Lou.

retailguy
07-28-2007, 12:57 AM
When your trigger happy, pass first coach (Martz) makes your ass sit down and lets the kicker tie a playoff game (vs Carolina in 2005) when your team was in thee red zone at the end of the 4th quarter it speaks volumes IMO. Bulger is sufficient but no where near the great QB you lamb chop lovers make him out to be.

who is noodlearm joe?

retailguy
07-28-2007, 12:58 AM
Harrington? He hasn't got that bad of an arm? You gotta be talking about someone else?

Cheesehead Craig
07-28-2007, 12:58 AM

who is noodlearm joe?
I think he's Cotton-Eyed Joe's cousin.

MadtownPacker
07-28-2007, 01:59 AM
Yeah I'm talking bout Harrington. FYI, he plays the piano. He didnt seem to press very hard on the keys either. :lol: