PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Berry Signs With Shermy (Texans)

Scott Campbell
07-27-2007, 04:34 PM
Shocking. :shock:

Here comes the U-71 down I-10.

http://www.journaltimes.com/nucleus/index.php?itemid=14507

07/27/2007: Kevin Barry signs with Texans

BY GERY WOELFEL

Kevin Barry won't be playing for the Green Bay Packers this season, but it might feel that way for him.

Barry, the former Park High School standout whom the Packers released in May, has signed a contract with the Houston Texans Friday morning. Russell Wittman, Barry's agent, told The Journal Times that his client signed a one-year deal. Wittman wouldn't disclose the amount of the contract.

"Kevin's elated and I'm elated,'' Russell said in a telephone interview. "It's good to see Kevin in camp on time. That's very important. And the other positive thing is that Houston's offense is similar to the one they had in Green Bay. He should be able to pick it up fiarly quickly.''

One of the biggest reasons Houston's offense resembles Green Bay's is that the Texans assistant coach and offensive coordinator is Mike Sherman, the former Packers head coach. Sherman was a big backer of Barry in Green Bay and made an key contributor to the team's "U-72'' offense.

Russell said Sherman played a pivotal role in Barry signing with the Texans. Barry had also been seriously courted by the Cleveland Browns and Carolina Panthers.

"Obviously, Mike Sherman was really, really instrumental in Kevin choosing to go with Houston,'' Russell said. "He spent two different days in Houston, probably 45 minutes to a hour each, talking to coach Sherman.

"And he went to dinner with their offensive line coach (John Benton) and assistant line coach (Frank Polloack) one night. They rolled out the red carpet for Kevin.''

The 6-foot-4 Barry played five seasons with the Packers. He played in 59 games and was a key member of the Packers' offensive line which, under Sherman, was one of the best in the NFL. But Barry's status with the Packers became shaky when Sherman was fired and replaced by Mike McCarthy, who installed a new zone-blocking scheme.

Barry then suffered a ruptured left thigh tendon in training camp last May and sat out all of last season. Wittman said Barry is completely healthy now.

"He's fully recovered,'' Wittman said. "Every team physician we met with in Carolina, Cleveland and Houston checked him out and we had two of our own private physicians look at him. He's completely healed. There is no injury anymore.''

After being released, Wittman said he was contacted by several teams about Barry's services, but in the end, the decision came down to Houston and Cleveland. In fact, Russell and Barry were in Cleveland Thursday meeting with Browns officials.

But Wittman said Barry liked the idea of being reunited with Sherman. Furthermore, two other former Packers teammates are starters for the Texans -- running back Ahman Green and center Mike Flanagan.

But rejoining his ex-teammates was just part of the equation in Barry signing with the Texans. Barry also has a legit shot of getting significant playing time. The Texans project Barry as a tackle, and that is a position of concerns for the Texans. Their starting left tackle is veteran journeyman Ephraim Salaam and their starting right tackle is second-year pro Eric Winston, who started just last seven games last season. The team also lacks depth at the tackle position.

"Kevin could play guard, but they're talking about using him at either left or right tackle,'' Wittman said. "They definitely need help at either of the tackle spots. I think that's good for Kevin because I think he's more of a natural tackle than guard.''

Wittman said Barry was at his off-season home in Phoenix, Ariz., Friday morning but planned to catch a flight to Houston today. Wittman said his client is pysched-up about the opportunity to showcase his talents again, especially after being out an entire season.

"He's really excited,'' Wittman said of Barry. "This was Kevin's decision. Kevin spent time thinking about it and felt Houston wa the best place for him.''

RashanGary
07-27-2007, 04:41 PM
Russell said. "They rolled out the red carpet for Kevin.''

hahahahaha

RashanGary
07-27-2007, 04:44 PM
With the money the Texans have spent on our Oline and RB, you'd expect them to blow us away in the run game this year. I'll get a chuckle if our run game is stronger than theirs. It will certainly be evidence that spending money doesn't equate to getting better.

Bretsky
07-27-2007, 04:55 PM
With the money the Texans have spent on our Oline and RB, you'd expect them to blow us away in the run game this year. I'll get a chuckle if our run game is stronger than theirs. It will certainly be evidence that spending money doesn't equate to getting better.

I'm ignorant in asking this as I honestly did not know, but did Texas drop a boatload of money on the OL to shore up their weaknesses ?

Do the Texans have a Clifton, Tausher, or even a Wells ? I'm not sure what their failings would mean in terms of a message about spending money.

My gut tells me they will improve, but who knows

RashanGary
07-27-2007, 04:59 PM
They spent pretty big money On Flanagan and Green and now a lesser amount on Barry. We haven't spent big money on anyone in the run game. They certainly pursued FA much more BOLDLY and aggresively than we did. By your very own admission, aggressively pursuing FA will cure a teams problems so their running game should be exactly like the one you dream of here in GB, right?

Scott Campbell
07-27-2007, 05:09 PM
They spent pretty big money On Flanagan and Green and now a lesser amount on Barry. We haven't spent big money on anyone in the run game. They certainly pursued FA much more BOLDLY and aggresively than we did. By your very own admission, aggressively pursuing FA will cure a teams problems so their running game should be exactly like the one you dream of here in GB, right?

It'd be interesting to compare production between Green and Morency/Jackson in terms of yards per dollar.

HarveyWallbangers
07-27-2007, 05:12 PM
I doubt they spent much money on Barry.

KYPack
07-27-2007, 05:13 PM
At least Scott got the name of the formation right.

It's U 71, not U 72.

(Maybe that's Barry's # this year)

I was never so happy to see a formation leave a playbook.

That U-71 only worked briefly.

After the first year, they mainly made yardage on the counters or the fake. The playside was always jammed up on that thing.

I also felt it cost us a decent player. Barry would be a good hand as a back-up G and T. Shermy wouldn't move him
to G and M3 hated the U-71 formation. After Kevin was hurt, he was gone from this team.

Bretsky
07-27-2007, 05:13 PM

You are manipulating the data IMO.

They had Flanagan last year when the run game sucked and he's on the downside of his career. Old News.

As I continue to state it's a LOT more important to pick the right players to sign via free agency than dwell on the money. If you pick the right guys with today's rising cap and overspend a little to get a guy you will not get hurt.

I'd hardly call Kevin Barry "aggressively" upgrading their OL. Come on, let's be real here. Barry is non news, and they don't have nearly the talented veterans on the OL as we do.

They have a better starting RB than we do. And that's about it.

RashanGary
07-27-2007, 05:21 PM
We both had cruddy run games in 2005. They boldly spent big money in FA last year to improve the run game and now boldy spent big money again this year. I'm not twisting anything. They used FA to improve, we didn't. You've invested so deeply in your anti TT propoganda that you will want to justify any possible evidence against your bold FA theory as being skewed.

Oh no, Bretsky, nothing is being skewed here. Both started with bad run games, one Boldly used free agency and the other didn't. What's to skew?

Bretsky
07-27-2007, 05:23 PM
We both had cruddy run games in 2005. They boldly spent big money in FA last year to improve the run game and now boldy spent big money again this year. I'm not twisting anything. They used FA to improve, we didn't. You've invested so deeply in your anti TT propoganda that you will want to justify any possible evidence against your bold FA theory as being skewed.

Oh no, Bretsky, nothing is being skewed here. Both started with bad run games, one Boldly used free agency and the other didn't. What's to skew?

Who said Flanagan was a great signing ? Is this your bold signing or is there some I do not know about ?????????? Please tell me Flanagan is not the bold upgrade. An oft injured player on the downside of his career. Bold ??

Scott Campbell
07-27-2007, 05:30 PM
Who said Green was a great signing ? Is this your bold signing or is there some I do not know about ?????????? Please tell me Green is not the bold upgrade. An oft injured player on the downside of his career. Bold ??

Fun with quote manipulation.

Bretsky
07-27-2007, 05:31 PM
Who said Green was a great signing ? Is this your bold signing or is there some I do not know about ?????????? Please tell me Green is not the bold upgrade. An oft injured player on the downside of his career. Bold ??

Fun with quote manipulation.

LMAO; that was a good one Scott. You actually had me thinking I mistyped that entire point. Time to go play softball.

Cheers,
B

RashanGary
07-27-2007, 05:33 PM
LMAO. . . . .

Bretsky, it's just great that as the season progresses and evidence starts to present itself you backtrack more and more.

The irony of the Flanagan signing is that he is exactly the type of other teams garbage that you can expect to get for a reasonable price. You know Flanagan is garbage and you don't know that Hamlin or the TE Johnson or the FB Griffin is garbage. You're whole arguement is build in ignorance and wishfull thinking of teams being able to just open their wallets and get better. If it was as simple as just opening your wallet don't you think everyone would do it? There is no need for me to skew anything when the facts and the NFL season will do may work for me.

MJZiggy
07-27-2007, 05:35 PM
Goodness I can't wait for Training Camp to start...

Bretsky
07-27-2007, 05:41 PM
LMAO. . . . .

Bretsky, it's just great that as the season progresses and evidence starts to present itself you backtrack more and more.

The irony of the Flanagan signing is that he is exactly the type of other teams garbage that you can expect to get for a reasonable price. You know Flanagan is garbage and you don't know that Hamlin or the TE Johnson or the FB Griffin is garbage. You're whole arguement is build in ignorance and wishfull thinking of teams being able to just open their wallets and get better. If it was as simple as just opening your wallet don't you think everyone would do it? There is no need for me to skew anything when the facts and the NFL season will do may work for me.

My argument would require a GM to be able to pick out what is garbage and what is not from free agency and using the draft and free agency to improve.

Yes, I agree. Bring on the season MJ.

Top 10 rushing offense
9-7 to measure improvement

Time will tell if you are right on or just dribbling with enthusiasm.

RashanGary
07-27-2007, 05:42 PM
I know, Ziggy, it's probably not fair for us to jab at Bretsky like this. If there was a vote for best person on this damn forum, Bresky would probably show up in the top five and I'd be in the bottom two.

If everyone could just open their magic NFL pocket book and with a nose twitch and a broom stic, get better, it wouldn't even be a fun league to follow. It would be baseball and even there, the team that spends more than anyone else by double and tripple still had down years. Bold spending just isn't the way to become great. Smart spending is. but these good hearted fans just want to beleive it's fixable with the drop of a hat or an opening of a pocket book and get frustrated with losing. It's hard on all of us, but Bretsky, Woodbuck and RG have all taken their jabs. I'm sure they can handle getting them back.

Bretsky
07-27-2007, 05:45 PM
I know, Ziggy, it's probably not fair for us to jab at Bretsky like this. If there was a vote for best person on this damn forum, Bresky would probably show up in the top five and I'd be in the bottom two.

If everyone could just open their magic NFL pocket book and with a nose twitch and a broom stic, get better, it wouldn't even be a fun league to follow. It would be baseball and even there, the team that spends more than anyone else by double and tripple still had down years. Bold spending just isn't the way to become great. Smart spending is. but these good hearted fans just want to beleive it's fixable with the drop of a hat or an opening of a pocket book and get frustrated with losing. It's hard on all of us, but Bretsky, Woodbuck and RG have all taken their jabs. I'm sure they can handle getting them back.

I have a very hard jaw and can handle this just as well as I can dish it.

I'd hope others would feel the exact same as none of this is ever personal for me. For what it's worth even though we've socked each other some in the past, Justin and I have actually PM'd regarding this a few times about how this is never personal. We all want Green Bay to win and we're all hoping they do.

Nothing is ever personal on my end and I hope it isn't for anybody else either........no matter how right or wrong we thing each other is :lol:

Scott Campbell
07-27-2007, 05:46 PM
If those guys end up being right, and they could be for all I know, I still think there can't be much pleasure in saying "see, I told you we were going to suck".

Scott Campbell
07-27-2007, 05:47 PM
Nothing is ever personal on my end and I hope it isn't for anybody else either........

Of course it's not personal, you ignorant slut.

:D

Rastak
07-27-2007, 05:51 PM

So were you real upset then when they signed Woodson and Pickett? Those were pretty good signings in hindsight. I will agree the class was weak though but I think he (TT) could have found a couple guys to improve the team....Bretsky's listed them before, I won't rehash it.

RashanGary
07-27-2007, 06:02 PM
I believe what you are referring to is called hindsight, Bretsky. As much as I support Thompsons approach and methodology, I certainly don't consider him the football equivilant of the fairy taled golden goose. The problem with your bold FA position is that it is no more likely to get a healthy productive FA than it is to draft a healthy, productive rookie. The only real difference is that when you miss like with Flanagan, Rivera, Joe Johnson, et. al., you get strapped with a franchise slowing salary and you are become unable to afford your own good talent like what happened to us 3 years ago. Ted Thompson likes to reffer to Unrestriced Free Agency as "dangerous waters". I know you understand reward, hell a monkey understands reward, but I'm affraid that you have no concept of risk and how the risk/reward balance relates to success. I'm sorry Bretsky, I honestly beleive that your belief is very shallow and based in hindsight and wishfull thinking more than it is in the uncertain reality of NFL personal decisons. With uncertainty comes the increased importance for balancing th risk. If you can just accept that NFL personal decisions are uncertain, I think you'll get it but damn, you seem to think teams can hit every time.

Rastak, I know TT has a pretty good record of getting good reward for his money but don't you think that his approach has something do do with that?

PackerBlues
07-27-2007, 06:13 PM
They spent pretty big money On Flanagan and Green and now a lesser amount on Barry.

These guys are all Packer hand-me-downs........ Green proved that he still has legs under him, so he was worth the risk. As far as Flanagan and Barry go, who cares.

We haven't spent big money on anyone in the run game. They certainly pursued FA much more BOLDLY and aggresively than we did.

Well, thats just about the most Genius of statements I have read in these forums. Fact is, we have not spent big money on anyone at all. EVERYONE pursued Free Agents more BOLDLY and aggresively than we did.

By your very own admission, aggressively pursuing FA will cure a teams problems so their running game should be exactly like the one you dream of here in GB, right?

Maybe I am wrong here, but considering as how Ahman Green still seems to have the ability to play, I am sure that a lot of Packer fans out there, would feel a lot better about our running game if we still had Green, as opposed to what we have now. Nobody is saying he was worth the money he got from the Texans.

I get a real kick out of how everything is either black or white to you. We all see Thompsons approach to Free Agency, some like it, some dont. Some of us feel there should be some middle ground. Arrrrrg!

:beat: :bang: :bang: :bang: :crazy:

Packnut
07-27-2007, 06:25 PM
I believe what you are referring to is called hindsight, Bretsky. As much as I support Thompsons approach and methodology, I certainly don't consider him the football equivilant of the fairy taled golden goose. The problem with your bold FA position is that it is no more likely to get a healthy productive FA than it is to draft a healthy, productive rookie. The only real difference is that when you miss like with Flanagan, Rivera, Joe Johnson, et. al., you get strapped with a franchise slowing salary and you are become unable to afford your own good talent like what happened to us 3 years ago. Ted Thompson likes to reffer to Unrestriced Free Agency as "dangerous waters". I know you understand reward, hell a monkey understands reward, but I'm affraid that you have no concept of risk and how it relates to success. I'm sorry Bretsky, I honestly beleive that your belief is very shallow and based in wishfull thinking more than it is in reality.

Yep, that Woodson was a terrible signing was'nt it? So was Pickett. In fact hell, according to you EVERY FA is a bad signing. You have the "coward's" attitude. Don't try it cause you might be wrong. It's better to play it safe and not take a risk in order to better your team right? Don't you get it? Teddy play's it safe cause he's afarid of getting burned like he did on Manuel. If you don't play the game, you don't lose do ya?

I prefer a GM who has enough faith in his evaluating skills and a set of balls and jumps on the chance when it presents itself. Your slow safe way is for guy's who are afraid. The Pat's mgmt. record speaks for itself. They have PROVEN their ability beyond a shadow of a doubt. They went crazy in FA. So they are wrong because you say so? Anyone with half a freakin brain can see SF has bettered themselves.

Free agency can help a team IF you do your work and get the right player. It's a tool, nothing more nothing less. JUST BECAUSE YOU BELIEVE IT'S SOME KIND OF EVIL, DOES'NT MAKE IT SO.

There have been some very good FA signings. Where would the Saints be without Brees? That 1 signing blows your whole FA theory to shit. Thompson under-estimated the market this year and then sat in shock while the good FA's were all sucked up. He decided guys were getting more than they are worth so he decided not to play. Hell 99.9% of ALL sports players get paid more than what they are worth and that's not the barometer you use.

The only point is can player a make us a better team and not put us in cap hell? Man, I can't wait to see your answer when we get ZERO production from our TE's. Better start thinging about what excuses your going to use.

ALL HAIL BRETSKY!

RashanGary
07-27-2007, 06:39 PM
JustinHarrell "They spent pretty big money On Flanagan and Green and now a lesser amount on Barry."

PackerBlues These guys are all Packer hand-me-downs........ Green proved that he still has legs under him, so he was worth the risk. As far as Flanagan and Barry go, who cares.

My response to this is that Flanagan was a middle price FA, similar to the signing of Pickett. Our guy panned out, Houstons didn't. Maybe Houston is too loose with FA's? Nah, they are just retards and don't deserve jobs and our guy is supposed to be the fairy taled golden goose who takes big shots every year and never misses.

JustinHarrell "We haven't spent big money on anyone in the run game. They certainly pursued FA much more BOLDLY and aggresively than we did."

PackerBlues "Well, thats just about the most Genius of statements I have read in these forums. Fact is, we have not spent big money on anyone at all. EVERYONE pursued Free Agents more BOLDLY and aggresively than we did.

My response is that they did spend more boldly on the FA market than we did so my statement was true and if you understood the conversations Bretsky and I have had in the past, you would understand the relevance of my accurate but obvious statement. It's an insider conversatin thing so I don't take any offense to your sarcasm.

JustinHarell "By your very own admission, aggressively pursuing FA will cure a teams problems so their running game should be exactly like the one you dream of here in GB, right?"

PackerBlues"Maybe I am wrong here, but considering as how Ahman Green still seems to have the ability to play, I am sure that a lot of Packer fans out there, would feel a lot better about our running game if we still had Green, as opposed to what we have now. Nobody is saying he was worth the money he got from the Texans."

My response is that the Texans spent money and it's probably not going to do much for them in the win column. That is exactly what you, Bretsky and about two or three others propose that we do except you guys expect Thompson to be the Golden Goose of football and you have no concept of how uncertain even the most certain things seem in the NFL.

PackerBlues "I get a real kick out of how everything is either black or white to you. We all see Thompsons approach to Free Agency, some like it, some dont. Some of us feel there should be some middle ground. Arrrrrg!

:beat: :bang: :bang: :bang: :crazy:"

There is a right and wrong on this. Everone wants some happy middle ground on every issue. It's not always the case. This isn't your sophmore lit class. We're not debating the meaning of a Shakespear. We're talking about strategy and how to take advantage of a market. There is more than one way to skin a cat, but you guys are sitting around sticking your finger in the cats butt instead of cutting it's skin off. Start to talk about another method and base it in reality instead of a thought that more closely resembles a fairly tale and we can have a conversation.

RashanGary
07-27-2007, 06:48 PM
Yep, that Woodson was a terrible signing was'nt it? So was Pickett. In fact hell, according to you EVERY FA is a bad signing. You have the "coward's" attitude. Don't try it cause you might be wrong. It's better to play it safe and not take a risk in order to better your team right? Don't you get it? Teddy play's it safe cause he's afarid of getting burned like he did on Manuel. If you don't play the game, you don't lose do ya?
I agree that Thompson has done a good job when he has taken his chances and I think he's right more often than not becuase he takes chances when the risk outweighs the reward unlike the Texans for example

I prefer a GM who has enough faith in his evaluating skills and a set of balls and jumps on the chance when it presents itself. Your slow safe way is for guy's who are afraid. The Pat's mgmt. record speaks for itself. They have PROVEN their ability beyond a shadow of a doubt. They went crazy in FA. So they are wrong because you say so? Anyone with half a freakin brain can see SF has bettered themselves.
I prefer a GM who makes the right choices and the most isn't always the best as the Washington Redskins can attest

Free agency can help a team IF you do your work and get the right player. It's a tool, nothing more nothing less. JUST BECAUSE YOU BELIEVE IT'S SOME KIND OF EVIL, DOES'NT MAKE IT SO.
No, but history will show how wrong you are and I'll be here to stick your nose it it

There have been some very good FA signings. Where would the Saints be without Brees? That 1 signing blows your whole FA theory to shit. Thompson under-estimated the market this year and then sat in shock while the good FA's were all sucked up. He decided guys were getting more than they are worth so he decided not to play. Hell 99.9% of ALL sports players get paid more than what they are worth and that's not the barometer you use.
One example doesn't blow anything out of the water. If you think that, I'm really wasting my time on this conversation which I pretty much know I am anyway so after this post I'll be done. You are stupid in relation to me. I'm not a genius but compared to you I am

The only point is can player a make us a better team and not put us in cap hell? Man, I can't wait to see your answer when we get ZERO production from our TE's. Better start thinging about what excuses your going to use.
This is similar to my above response but if you think the production of our TE's is the tell all for Thompsons success than I am wasting my time talking to you. I am starting to realize that and this will be my last response unless someone has some reality based discussion to continue with

ALL HAIL BRETSKY![/quote]
spoken while fingering the cats butt

Scott Campbell
07-27-2007, 06:49 PM
There is more than one way to skin a cat, but you guys are sitting around sticking your finger in the cats butt instead of cutting it's skin off.

LOL

I love ya dude, but that has to be the WORST analogy that I've ever read.

But I'll be Mike Vick liked it.

retailguy
07-27-2007, 06:59 PM
=I am starting to realize that and this will be my last response unless someone has some reality based discussion to continue with.

Another priceless comment. It's July. Who has "REALITY"? No one has even put a pad on yet... Come off the moral high ground. You're way out of your league.

Please stop posting. PLEASE. There is too much material to remind you of already...

Justin, there is more than one way to build a football team. Ted's way, even if it works, is NOT the only way. Not by a long shot. If Ted came out and announced that he was rebuilding and not really trying to win while Brett was the QB, you'd be pulling him out of the Fox River after the shooting/lynching.

He's doing what he feels he's gotta do, but the moron is LYING HIS ASS off every day. He's not signing free agents because he doesn't think they'll get us over the top this season. In that case, it IS THE CORRECT DECISION. I truly believe this. The alternative, is, (if this team is NOT competitive) is that he doesn't have a clue. That scares the CRAP out of me.

This team is a couple years away, most likely, barring a "miracle in a bottle".

We'll see if we get one. But remember "We'll win SOME games." :wink:

CaliforniaCheez
07-27-2007, 07:02 PM
The Texans signing Kevin Barry is bad news for Brad Bedell.
He will also know Centers Mike Flanagan and Chris White at O line meetings.
He could line up next to TE Ben Steele who does not substitute at fullback with Vonta Leach as the Packers had TE's doing last year.

Ahman Green is familiar with all that blocking.

RashanGary
07-27-2007, 07:05 PM
But remember "We'll win SOME games." :wink:

Spoken like a GM who understands the uncertainty in the NFL. This is acctually a testament to the good hands that our team is in but you are unable to see that so I'm laughing at you, not offended by you. There, and I didn't even need a compensation wink to exaggerate my point.

retailguy
07-27-2007, 07:10 PM

Spoken like a GM who understands the uncertainty in the NFL. This is acctually a testiment to the good hands that our team is in but you are unable to see that so I'm laughing at you, not offended by you. There, and I didn't even need a compensation wink to exaggerate my point.

Nope. You didn't need one, you had to explain it to me... :wink:

Good thing too, because I truthfully wouldn't have gotten your point.

We'll see what Thompson does. He's got his players. Since McCarthy came in and said he "was going to paint his dreamhouse", we've got like what, 30 new players?

You work construction, right? Doesn't that sound like a little more than a "paint job" to you too?

RashanGary
07-27-2007, 07:25 PM
I think Thompson distorts reality when the reality is bad. I don't think he would have came out in 2005 and said "This team sucks, we need a whole new core" after Walker and Green went down but I would venture to guess that he thought that was the case.

Wist was here saying it, I started saying it after we got torched in the Bear game. Many here knew we sucked and it was a long road. Should Thompson have said that? I don't know. He didn't. I do see your piont though, he hasn't been as strait forward as he could have been or so it appears.

RashanGary
07-27-2007, 07:28 PM

Spoken like a GM who understands the uncertainty in the NFL. This is acctually a testiment to the good hands that our team is in but you are unable to see that so I'm laughing at you, not offended by you. There, and I didn't even need a compensation wink to exaggerate my point.

Nope. You didn't need one, you had to explain it to me... :wink:

Good thing too, because I truthfully wouldn't have gotten your point.

We'll see what Thompson does. He's got his players. Since McCarthy came in and said he "was going to paint his dreamhouse", we've got like what, 30 new players?

You work construction, right? Doesn't that sound like a little more than a "paint job" to you too?

I've built homes and now I'm a couple semesters away from being a road design engineer and project engineer on highway construction projects depending on the season, so yeah I do know a little about building and I know you can't do anything without a base. You don't plop an asphalt road on a a field of grass, you have to have a good, stable base. You don't build a roof, cabinets and trim on a stick house, it has to have a good frame. That's the reality of constructing anything in my experience and it probably extends to a football team.

You think maybe McCArthy was an excited first year coach? Thompson probably mislead but McCarthy was probably just happy to be here.

Scott Campbell
07-27-2007, 07:30 PM
I've built homes and now I'm a couple semesters away from being a road design engineer and project engineer on highway construction projects depending on the season, so yeah I do know a little about building and I know you can't do anything without a base. You don't plop an asphalt road on a a field of grass, you have to have a good, stable base. You don't build a roof, cabinets and trim on a stick house, it has to have a good frame. That's the reality of constructing anything, including a football team.

And you don't stick your finger in that damned cat's ass!

:lol:

RashanGary
07-27-2007, 07:31 PM
And you don't stick your finger in that damned cat's ass!

Right, and if your trying to skin a cat you don't finger it's ass.

MJZiggy
07-27-2007, 07:38 PM
I've built homes and now I'm a couple semesters away from being a road design engineer and project engineer on highway construction projects depending on the season, so yeah I do know a little about building and I know you can't do anything without a base. You don't plop an asphalt road on a a field of grass, you have to have a good, stable base. You don't build a roof, cabinets and trim on a stick house, it has to have a good frame. That's the reality of constructing anything in my experience and it probably extends to a football team.

So how much sand do you have to put under slate to make a stone walkway? (the directions were unclear...)

Scott Campbell
07-27-2007, 07:38 PM

So how much sand do you have to put under slate to make a stone walkway? (the directions were unclear...)

I wonder if you could use road base underneath - like with pavers.

retailguy
07-27-2007, 07:43 PM

You think maybe McCArthy was an excited first year coach? Thompson probably mislead but McCarthy was probably just happy to be here.

So, sincerely, why aren't you biased when you continually give them the benefit of the doubt WHEN YOU HAVE NO IDEA what is true and what is not?

You tell me over and over and over that I am biased related to Sherman and I haven't mentioned him in months, and then only sparingly to support a point? What's the difference?

JH, I'm dealing with what both of them ACTUALLY say, I'm not putting words into their mouths. You think Thompson distorts when reality is bad, I think he distorts mostly all of the time. I, quite honestly, don't really believe much that he says, because so much of it doesn't match what he does.

He might be building a great team, but he might not. I completely disagree with his short term process, because I don't think it will lead to a winning team in 2007. I do think it'll lead to a winning team in 2008 or perhaps 2009, but he is actually saying he'll win in 2007.

So, again, HOW DOES THIS MAKE ME NEGATIVE? Why can't I match what he says to what he does? Why don't the experts (not the media), the scouts, the other GM's, think we're going to win? That troubles me.

Scott Campbell
07-27-2007, 07:46 PM
Sherman was a much more truthful GM.

retailguy
07-27-2007, 07:59 PM

perhaps too truthful? :P

Scott Campbell
07-27-2007, 08:02 PM

perhaps too truthful? :P

I can't imagine why any GM would want anyone outside of their respective orginizations to know what it's strategy was.

It's like trying to play poker with your cards showing.

RashanGary
07-27-2007, 08:06 PM
So how much sand do you have to put under slate to make a stone walkway? (the directions were unclear...)[/quote]

haha, my initial thought was that a well graded, aggregate would be best but then I'm thinking that the bricks would want to wobble on that so it wouldn't work. I would guess 3-4 inches would due but that is just a guess. I'd say you'd want to be sure the sand is compacted as well as possible. If you don't have a compactor, I'd lay it in very small lifts and just stomp on it or pound it with a 2X4. Primative, but it's probably better than nothing at all.

MJZiggy
07-27-2007, 08:13 PM
Thanks. As long as it doesn't rain (whcih would be fine too) I can start cutting the lawn around the stones...Now all I need is a gay man to go garden shopping with....

PackerBlues
07-28-2007, 10:54 AM
The last time I heard Sherman talking about guys we needed to re-sign, while he was still the GM, he told you straight up, "We are going to restructure some contracts, move some money around, but even with all of that, we are not going to be able to keep everyone." He even went through the scenario of who he thought we would be able to keep and who he thought we might lose.

Thompson came to town, and he did not care about keeping anyone. Every move he made was made to cut salaries. We have cap room now, but who gives a shit? He isnt going to use it.

NFL=NOT FOR LONG!

So, all any of us can do, is wait it out, see if this season is as ugly as every other season has been under Thompson, and hope that these guys that have been hanging off of Thompsons nuts from day one, guessed right.

Personally, I still find it funny that we still have people complaining about Sherman............and his winning records (up until TT took over anyway). Yet here we have Thompson and his brilliant plans to (lets not say rebuild :shock: ) improve the Packers. Its gone just great so far hasn't it? Who was his very first pick? For a guy that ignores free agency to the extent that Thompson does, you would think that wasting first round picks would be a huge "NO-NO". :wow: We have gotten so much use out of that pick didnt we. <--------------Note Sarcasm, its spread on extra thick!

By the way, please dont respond to this with the normal drivel about how "Teddy just needs a little more time", or "only time will tell", or my all time favorite, "it's going to take a few years before we can really judge TT's work". Its all getting old. Why? We have been hearing it for a while now. Its time to see results.

Scott Campbell
07-28-2007, 11:06 AM
Thompson came to town, and he did not care about keeping anyone. Every move he made was made to cut salaries.

Hopefully this response won't fit your definition of the usual, and hopefully it's ok that I replied.

Your statement of fact is completely messed up again.

Harris, Driver, Kampman, Jenkins......etc., etc., etc. All kept. All making more, not less.

PackerBlues
07-28-2007, 11:31 AM
Thompson came to town, and he did not care about keeping anyone. Every move he made was made to cut salaries.

Hopefully this response won't fit your definition of the usual, and hopefully it's ok that I replied.

Your statement of fact is completely messed up again.

Harris, Driver, Kampman, Jenkins......etc., etc., etc. All kept. All making more, not less.

Well, I guess that since we have Harris, Driver, Kampman, Jenkins......etc., etc., etc, all signed and making more money, we really dont need an O-line that can block without the help of the TE's and Fullbacks for added protection. Is that the strong base that was mentioned earlier in this thread? The strong base to build on? :crazy:

Scott Campbell
07-28-2007, 01:54 PM
Well, I guess that since we have Harris, Driver, Kampman, Jenkins......etc., etc., etc, all signed and making more money, we really dont need an O-line that can block without the help of the TE's and Fullbacks for added protection. Is that the strong base that was mentioned earlier in this thread? The strong base to build on? :crazy:

Maybe, maybe not. But I fail to see what that has to do with you screwing up your facts again.

PackerBlues
07-28-2007, 03:02 PM

Maybe, maybe not. But I fail to see what that has to do with you screwing up your facts again.

Not exactly something to get hung up on. What do you want? Specific examples every time somebody posts something? It was simply a broad statement that expresses how I feel about one of Thompsons many fuck ups.

Perhaps I should have said that Thompson came into town and brilliantly dismantled our O-line. That he replaced veteran talent with his rookie draft picks, He sure saved money there, funny thing is, without the help of the TE's and the Fullbacks, these guys couldnt block my grandmother. Would that be factual enough for you?

One other thing, you act as if Thompson should recieve a "Get Out of the Dog House Free" card, just because he signed guys that were already on the team, to longer and more lucrative contracts. As if that makes up for passing on Free Agents as if they were not worth looking into at all. Bubba Franks was also re-signed by Thompson to a longer, more lucrative contract, looks like that was a great idea.

P.S. Its ok that you replied. You have my permission to reply whenever you want to. knock yourself out. :taunt:

Scott Campbell
07-28-2007, 04:05 PM
What do you want?

You might start with a reasonable amount of accuracy, and skip the gross exaggerations.

Scott Campbell
07-28-2007, 04:09 PM
One other thing, you act as if Thompson should recieve a "Get Out of the Dog House Free" card, just because he signed guys that were already on the team, to longer and more lucrative contracts.

Well there you go again - screwing up the facts. I didn't act any such way. I merely responded to your post with what actually happened vs. what you said happened. Thompson in fact, signed those guys. I added no editorial comment on Ted's performance - complimentary or disparaging.

Go read it again. Try reading slower. Pretend that you'll be tested on it later.

Son, you can't go through life making shit up and expecting not get called on it.

retailguy
07-28-2007, 10:35 PM
Son, you can't go through life making shit up and expecting not get called on it.

Nah, if he was smart, he'd just start criticizing what everyone else said and NEVER talk about his point of view. That's worked quite well for you, hasn't it? :wink:

HarveyWallbangers
07-28-2007, 10:51 PM
Funny.

Scott Campbell
07-28-2007, 11:45 PM

Nah, if he was smart, he'd just start criticizing what everyone else said and NEVER talk about his point of view. That's worked quite well for you, hasn't it? :wink:

So what are you whining about now RG? I thought you were supposed to be a grown man.

PackerBlues
07-29-2007, 03:09 AM

So what are you whining about now RG? I thought you were supposed to be a grown man.

Ya know SC, i guess I never have bothered to look at things from your point of view. Maybe I never thought that anything you had to say was worth reading........ or maybe you have never really expressed your own thoughts. Either way, I honestly do enjoy your .......output.......

Scott Campbell
07-29-2007, 11:44 AM

Son, like I said. Just get your facts straight. It'll be ok.

PackerBlues
07-29-2007, 11:58 AM

Son, like I said. Just get your facts straight. It'll be ok.

Gee dad, I'm sorry....... maybe we could just look at that statement as an opinion. Would that make ya feel any better dad?

:crazy: :taunt:

Scott Campbell
07-29-2007, 12:04 PM
"Reputation is made in a moment: It takes a lifetime to build character."

Good thing you're such a pussy, because at this rate it's going to take all 9 lifetimes.

PackerBlues
07-29-2007, 12:10 PM
"Reputation is made in a moment: It takes a lifetime to build character."

Good thing you're such a pussy, because at this rate it's going to take all 9 lifetimes.

Oh come on SC, dont hold back..... tell me how you really feel. Ha Ha Ha :taunt:

PackerBlues
07-29-2007, 01:59 PM
I was just checking out the Texans website, and I am actually somewhat impressed. They have Mike Flanagan, Kevin Barry, Ahman Green, and Vonta Leach. The fact that they have those players does not necessarily impress me, as much as the fact that they went out, and got themselves veterans that know the system that they are trying to implement.

I think it would be a little narrow minded to say that they wasted money in free agency to pick up a bunch of has beens. Flanagan started nine games for them last year before going on injured reserve with broken ribs. We all know that Green still has wheels. From what I had read, Vonta Leach helped improve their run game last year. Now they also have Kevin Barry in the fold.

So now Sherman has Veteran players who know his system. Guys that can start while the rookies take time to learn the system. Looks to me like he has his run game where he wants it. Can we say the same?

Rastak
07-29-2007, 02:03 PM
What is Sherman's job title down there?

PackerBlues
07-29-2007, 02:12 PM
What is Sherman's job title down there?

I believe its assistant head coach and offensive coordinator.

falco
07-29-2007, 03:33 PM
I didn't think he was offensive coordinator. I thought he was AHC and line coach or TE coach, something like that. But the website does say he is AHC and off. coordinator. I wonder if he got promoted?

PackerBlues
07-29-2007, 03:51 PM
He must really have the respect of the GM. Looking at the ex-packer players that they picked up, It looks to me like they have a lot of faith in Shermans Offense, and in Sherman himself. I wish him the best of luck.

HarveyWallbangers
07-29-2007, 05:42 PM
Too funny. Ahman will help them out. Flanny was a shell of himself, and is a good possibility to get beat out by McKinney (another old, washed up vet). They signed Kevin Barry. He seems like a very poor fit for their system... he looked like a poor fit here last year. Maybe Sherman will get them to run the U-71 again. We'll see much he'll help. He's not projected to start, so I doubt he'll help out much.

Houston was 28th in the league last year in points scored (16.7 points/game), averaged 3.9 yards/rush, and allowed 43 sacks. Sherm's doing a find job down there. Then again, I don't know how instrumental he is. I put none of their ineptitude on him--other than bringing in ex-Packers that have helped very little (except Leach, a little). You didn't mention that the Texans have Ben Steele (and his 0 catches last year) on the team too. I'm sure Sherm can help a team out, but Houston is probably making a mistake if they are letting Sherm influence their personnel moves.

PackerBlues
07-29-2007, 06:51 PM
........... And Ben Steele? Ok, now that is just plain crazy. :eyes: