PDA

View Full Version : Packer training camp report. . .

RashanGary
07-27-2007, 10:05 PM
I'm going to be going to quite a few TC practices over the next few weeks and I'm going to be working with Mad and the PR staff to get things put on this site as soon as possible so everyone has a quick fix and maybe an extra perspective as to what went on that day.

I don't think I can make any judgements by just watching the practice and writing down what happened at all positions. I think it's more productive and telling to just focus on one position or group. Last year was WR's for me and if we went back, I think I could find posts where I said Jennings and Martin were the #2 and #3 WR's when most people were thinking GArnder or Boerigter were going to be the guys. I think by focusing on one group, I was able to draw better conclusions.

This year I'm going to focus on the interior offensive line and the interior defenive line. We know Pickett and Williams are pretty good. My belief is that if Harrell looks as good as those two, he is going to be a good DT. I believe that if our Oline can get a push and pass block against those guys that our line will be good. It could go the other way. I'm a fan but I'm going to try to keep an open mind, and just say what happened. After a few practices I'll start to draw conclusions.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you guys know what was coming. About an hour or two after practice, you can expect a report on the interior offensive line, the interior defesive line and whatever huge plays stood out otherwise. Mostly expect interior line play tough, because that is my focus. I know it's not sexy, but if that interior Oline can run block, I think we could be a 9-10 win team.

RashanGary
07-27-2007, 10:32 PM
http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=2512&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

"Driver/Jennings/Martin

The rest are junk right now. Maybe Rodger can get lasic and catch the ball, but the rest of the recievers just looked consistantly like crap to me.

Driver #1 Jennings #2 and everyone else way back with Martin being the only other reliable target."

After watching about 10-15 hrs of focusing on the WR's at OTA's and TC I had narrowed the WR's down to Driver, Jennings and Ruvell Martin. This post was on August 11, 2006. At that time, few were giving Ruvell Martin any praise. Anyway, I think I've gotten better over time and although I hit on a few things last year, I was wrong on a few too. I hope to be more objective this year and I just have a better understanding of football so I think I'll do better in that regard too. Anyway, I just wanted to show that you really can spot things from watching TC and that you guys can get some value from this stuff. AGain, my reports last year were somewhat biased. I'm sure this year I'll have some too, everyone does, but I'm going to do my best to be unbiased this year. I'm going to just make observations about the group, not assumptions.

HarveyWallbangers
07-27-2007, 10:37 PM
Nick, just remember Mike "Neon" Hawkins when giving us the analysis.
:D

RashanGary
07-27-2007, 10:44 PM

My goal this year is to be much more reliable and non biased. I've come a long way with my football knolwedge. Football skill has moved past physical skill as far as how I anylize football.

Bretsky
07-27-2007, 10:49 PM
I look forward to reading them

HarveyWallbangers
07-27-2007, 10:56 PM
Me too. It's always fun to read.

the_idle_threat
07-28-2007, 12:12 AM
Thanks in advance for doing these again, JH. It's the kind of thing we have going on here that makes this forum better than the rest.

MadtownPacker
07-28-2007, 01:57 AM
:DCan't really hold that one against him cuz most of the big writers had a sip of that KoolAid too.

HarveyWallbangers
07-28-2007, 02:08 AM
NOBODY else compared Mike to Neon though. That was an all-timer. Of course, I'll be reading the reports again this year.

MadtownPacker
07-28-2007, 02:21 AM
Yeah but those guys compare guys to Favre or Rice or Montana or Elway or whoever every year and are probably less right then you. I'll give Collins/Jennings/Harrell credit for one thing. His namesakes are players so far with the exception of Harrell who will gets his chance this season. Maybe his UFA meter is broken? :D

RashanGary
07-28-2007, 07:11 AM
Last year I saw Kamp beating Tauch regularly when I took a glance but I assumed it was me just looking at unlucky plays so I never mentioned it. Had I had an open mind, I would have been praising Kampman a lot more. I didn't and my bias was the reason why.

This year I intend on dropping the bias and I also think I know what to watch for like how a player plays rather than how fast they run.

RashanGary
07-28-2007, 07:17 AM
Oh, I found it. Here is where I said kamp was beating Tausch.

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=2475&highlight=kampman

Again, I think I found some good things but I think I jumped to too many conclusions as well. I think I can improve on the good and lessen the bad. I hope to bring you more of this and less of the Hawkins crap and I think it's possible.

Aug. 10th - "I also noticed that Kamp was winning more than in the past.Tauscher used to win every battle and now Kamp is winning more than I ever remember him winning.

I think Kamp is going to have a huge year. His body is perfect for DE right now and his technique is just getting better."

Rastak
07-28-2007, 07:58 AM
Sounds like a helluva lotta fun checking out camp like that.

GBRulz
07-28-2007, 08:21 AM
First practice is at 2 today, isn't it? Maybe I'll stop by. Depends on how many rows deep the railbirds are!

BTW, as of yesterday Lombardi Ave is 100% open. Construction is done! They actually finished ahead of schedule. It's now 3 lanes from Lambeau to Hwy 41...a much needed improvement!

RashanGary
07-28-2007, 08:45 AM
I'll be showing up a few minutes late, probably at about 2:15 or so. If I see you, I'll say hi. I have really dark skin this year from working outside. I'll have a white polo with blue stripes and a brewer hat.

GBRulz
07-28-2007, 01:09 PM
JH - one of my friends is coming over at 2, we're gonna go have a drink and then probably stop over at practice for a bit. Dunno what I'm wearing yet though, lol. Maybe i'll see ya there.