PDA

View Full Version : Position-by-position: Linebackers

HarveyWallbangers
07-28-2007, 12:29 AM
Starting linebackers expected to be big hit this year
Bob McGinn, JSO

Green Bay - Linebackers come and linebackers go, but for the first time this decade the Green Bay Packers can examine their group and feel relatively secure that the arrow is pointing up.

Based on last season, Green Bay's corps would rank in the middle of the pack. Pro Football Weekly rated Nick Barnett No. 15 inside and A.J. Hawk No. 17 on the outside, whereas Brady Poppinga continues trying to establish himself.

The returning starters were beaten far too often in the passing game. Abdul Hodge's long, unresolved battle with patellar tendinitis clouds his future as well as depth.

Winston Moss, the second-year coach who in January was given additional duties as assistant head coach, knows his position is one of strength.

The Packers probably wouldn't trade the 23-year-old Hawk for another linebacker in the National Football League. Barnett's six-year, $34.98 million deal that cemented his future now should allow him to just play. And Poppinga should be moving more fluidly, almost 20 months since reconstructive knee surgery.

"With the talent we have and the goals we're setting up, we're expected to do everything well," Moss said. "There were a lot of strong points in all three guys who started. There's obviously room for improvement on each guy."

Hardy Nickerson was the Packers' man in the middle before Barnett arrived as the instant starter in 2003. Playing virtually every snap in four seasons, Barnett has been solid. What he lacked in take-on and anchor he has made up with hustle and speed.

"He improved his quality of play," Moss said. "There was a little bit of maturity there. He still has some ways to go."

Before Poppinga, the strong-side starters had been Hannibal Navies in 2003-'04 and Paris Lenon in '05. Those veterans were caretakers. They didn't have Poppinga's prototypical size or sizzling intensity.

"He has a tremendous attitude and a tremendous motor," said Moss. "He turned into a very solid player by the end of the season."

Before Hawk, the weak-side starters had been Nate Wayne from 2000-'02, Na'il Diggs from 2003-'04 and the combination of Robert Thomas and Lenon in '05. Obviously, there was no comparison.

"Overall, he has the most talent and potential," Moss said. "He started out not impactful but as the season went along he became very impactful. He has the ability to do so many things."

One personnel director described Hawk as "one of the most physical 'will' (weak-side) linebackers in the NFL. He has the speed and strength to play downhill."

General manager Ted Thompson, who used the No. 5 pick in 2006 to take Hawk over tight end Vernon Davis, never wavered when Hawk started out semi-slowly.

"I couldn't understand why some people thought he was supposed to fly off on a cape with an 'S' across his chest," Thompson said. "Greatness is hard to define. One man's greatness might not be somebody else's. I just think he's a really good player."

In coverage, however, it was a different story.

Hawk had problems adjusting to the Packers' match scheme and the change in officiating emphasis from the collegiate game in which he no longer could have his hands on receivers down the field. He gave up 7 1/2 plays of 20 yards or more.

Barnett was equally as unreliable, yielding eight of 20 or more. No linebacker in Green Bay had given up that many since the statistic first was compiled in '94.

And Poppinga, a fish out of water in coverage early after a collegiate career spent mostly as an end, worked hard to become respectable and finished allowing five. He would be better suited playing on the line over the tight end instead of 4 yards off.

"I would say there were more plays given up than you want from an explosive standpoint," Moss said. "We want to give up less. But the focus is not going to be on playing passive and worrying about what we're not giving up. Our focus actually will be on making plays."

Hodge could only watch during the off-season as he rehabilitated from a knee condition that dates at least to October.

"We anticipate him probably practicing this training camp," Moss said. "He's on his way back. I'm probably just as frustrated as he is. I think he's a very, very tough player, and it's important to him to validate why he's here. If he stays healthy, I think everything will take care of itself from a production standpoint."

Last summer, the Packers experimented with Hodge on the strong side. But given his speed and height limitations, Hodge looks like a middle only.

Probably the most impressive backup in the off-season was Rory Johnson, a rookie free agent who admitted to a pair of failed drug tests in college. Johnson displayed third- to fifth-round ability. Fast and instinctive, he needs to improve his strength and coverage.

Johnson will be trying to dislodge undersized Tracy White, an excellent special-teams player but not much help from scrimmage.

Another rookie, Desmond Bishop, was an old-fashioned middle man at California but now might find a home behind Poppinga. He lacks speed but is physical and has a penchant for big plays.

Free agent Spencer Havner made significant strides in the off-season and could challenge if his average speed isn't too much of an impediment.

RashanGary
07-28-2007, 07:25 AM
I think Hawk is a legit playmaker in any defense but I think this Dline will help Barnett more than anyone else. He's the kind of LB that benifits most from being protected by a big, stout Dline. His strengths could really show through this year, even more than in the past.

Tarlam!
07-28-2007, 09:48 AM
Abdul Hodge's long, unresolved battle with patellar tendinitis clouds his future as well as depth.

Hodge could only watch during the off-season as he rehabilitated from a knee condition that dates at least to October.

"We anticipate him probably practicing this training camp," Moss said. "He's on his way back. I'm probably just as frustrated as he is. I think he's a very, very tough player, and it's important to him to validate why he's here. If he stays healthy, I think everything will take care of itself from a production standpoint."

Last summer, the Packers experimented with Hodge on the strong side. But given his speed and height limitations, Hodge looks like a middle only.

Boy, this was really useful info. I still have a man crush on Hodge!