PDA

View Full Version : PACKERS ONLY A+ DRAFT - THE SPORTING NEWS

gbpackfan
05-01-2006, 07:13 AM
Green Bay Packers -- A+
With linebackers A.J. Hawk and Abdul Hodge, the Packers have the beginnings of a defense that could dominate the NFC North for years.

The rest of the NFC North graded out like this:

Vikings C
Lions B
Bears B-

Link:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=88199

swede
05-01-2006, 07:30 AM
What!

The Packers have never gotten that kind of respect in a draft grade! Now they have me worrying. When the "experts" say something good about the Packers it creates a paradigmatic shift that unnerves me.

They did name our two best defensive picks, but I like Darryn Colledge, too. He will be a star on the offensive line.

gbpackfan
05-01-2006, 07:34 AM
I really like Colledge too! Brings some of the Mike Wahle mentality back to GB. Tony Moll is a converted TE too, he should develop nicely.

Jennings and Blackmon were VERY nice pick ups. I would have never thought that the Pack would have gotten Blackmon. It was a great spot to get him and he can be used in so many ways.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2006, 07:35 AM
I don't think many of these are worth more than the paper they are printed on, but it's always nice to see accolades--instead of ripping.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AhzGehYkLUvR4ZfsP2_aqwCY2bYF?slug=gradin gthedraft&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Green Bay Packers -- A+
With linebackers A.J. Hawk and Abdul Hodge, the Packers have the beginnings of a defense that could dominate the NFC North for years.

Minnesota Vikings -- C
Outside linebacker Chad Greenway should help, but the Vikings probably could have gotten center Ryan Cook and QB Tarvaris Jackson much later than the second round.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5561544

HUGE WINNERS…

GREEN BAY

Packers general manager Ted Thompson had a terrific draft. AJ Hawk will be a play maker at linebacker from day 1. The Green Bay defense has been fundamentally unsound and Hawk is an instant impact player. And Iowa linebacker Abdul Hodge was a steal for the Packers defense in round 3. He was the leader of the Iowa defense and is also knows how to wrap up ball carriers.

I loved the Greg Jennings selection in round 2. Jennings is an instant star as a returner. And he will dazzle as a receiver. At Western Michigan, he proved
his toughness going over the middle and also playing huge games in his career against non-MAC teams (UVA, Michigan State). Getting Daryn Colledge and Jason Spitz on Day 1 added serious depth and a needed infusion of talent to the offensive line.

And how about the intrigue of grabbing Ingle Martin in round 5. The former Florida QB transferred to Furman when the Gators brought on Chris Leak. And Will Blackmon is a speed demon who played both receiver and defensive back at Boston College.

WHAT ELSE WE LIKED

VIKINGS

One of my favorite players in this draft was Chad Greenway. The Iowa linebacker dominated on Saturdays as a do-it-all defender. I never cared about his poor 40 time or workouts. Brad Childress filled a major need. Ced Griffin is physical and replaces Brian Williams.

And Alabama State's Tarvaris Jackson has a rifle for an arm. Childress could be the perfect coach for him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-winnerslosers042906&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

THE WINNERS

Green Bay Packers – The Packers needed an infusion of talent, and just by sheer bulk alone, they may have had the best first day of the draft. Selecting five players in the first 75 picks is always a nice luxury, and Green Bay picked up some quality talent. The Packers added two of the best linebackers in the country in A.J. Hawk and Abdul Hodge to their porous defense, then accentuated their first-day picks with some lesser-known talent like Darryn Colledge, Greg Jennings and Jason Spitz – three players who could all contribute as early as next season either as starters or special-teams players.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AjuBvBL1XmlSAZbpNW9bzuJDubYF?slug=cnnsi-draftaftermath&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns

Green Bay's second round, and what it led to, was one of the most interesting things I saw this weekend. Green Bay GM Ted Thompson told me Sunday night he didn't set out to make five trades between the 36th and 109th picks, that it just happened that way.

"It was different, because every time a team called, it seemed the way we had our board set up, we either had a player we thought would be there if we moved down a few spots, or that there were a few players pretty close in value.''

In essence, Green Bay traded the 36th pick and a player who most likely was never going to play for them again, Javon Walker, and kept trading down three more times. At the end, the Packers had added two second-round picks, a third-, a fourth- and two sixth-rounders.

They traded the 36th pick to New England for the 52nd and 75th. They traded Walker to Denver for the 37th pick. Then the gamble came in. Green Bay wanted a tackle from Boise State named Daryn Colledge, who was one of the best little factoids of this draft. He's from North Pole, Alaska, which is 140 miles northeast of Anchorage, 140 miles west of the Yukon Territories, and, according to mapquest.com, is a 41-hour drive north from Seattle. (And, according to weather.com, is supposed to have a wind-chill temperature of 22 degrees Fahrenheit at dawn today.)

Thompson thought the Packers could trade down from 36 and still get him. So they got the two picks from New England, then turned the 37th pick from the Walker deal and their 139th pick into three picks from Atlanta, one of which was turned into two more picks from St. Louis, one of which was turned into two picks from Philadelphia. The bounty: Colledge at 43, wideout Greg Jennings at 52, center Jason Spitz at 75, wideout Will Blackmon at 115, quarterback Ingle Martin at 148, defensive tackle Johnny Jolly at 183, free safety Tyrone Culver at 185. "I believe this team needed to add core players for the future, and I think we're better today than we were at the start of the weekend,'' Thompson said...

Minnesota dealing two third-round picks for the last pick of the second round -- so it could take Tarvaris Jackson, a quarterback out of Alabama State. NO ONE BUT HIS MOTHER had him going in the first two rounds. Silly, silly move.

MEL KIPER

Green Bay Packers: GRADE: B

The Packers had a lot of picks (12) and definitely some reaches. Linebacker A.J. Hawk will give the Packers a much-needed face on defense. Offensive tackle Daryn Colledge needs to get stronger and become a better run blocker. I really like wide receiver Greg Jennings, linebacker Abdul Hodge and and Jason Spitz. I gave Green Bay an A after the first day.

Minnesota Vikings: GRADE: C+

Linebacker Chad Greenway was a very good pick, while Cedric Griffin is a solid defensive back who needs to play the ball better. Ryan Cook is a versatile center who could be moved elsewhere on the offensive line. Quarterback Tarvaris Jackson went a bit high, but has a chance to be the Vikings future quarterback. Defensive end Ray Edwards struggled as a junior and I thought he needed another season at Purdue.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5559064

5. Green Bay: The Packers went for intelligent, all-around football players starting with all-everything linebacker A.J. Hawk, who can play the middle and also be a nickel linebacker. Boise State offensive tackle Daryn Colledge could end up being a starting guard this season while Jason Spitz of Louisville was another critical need at center. Green Bay lost its three best interior linemen from the 2004 season. Cory Rodgers of TCU and Will Blackmon of Boston College will be shooting to break the lineup as a receiver. The only knock on the Packers was giving up on Javon Walker, a former first-round pick and a Pro Bowl player, for a second-round choice. They could end up regretting that trade. Grade: B+

31. Minnesota: They took Iowa linebacker Chad Greenway in the first round and many teams thought he didn't have the sudden burst necessary to be a big-time NFL linebacker. Then they took a sixth-round center Ryan Cook with the 51st overall choice and traded up to select Alabama State quarterback Tarvaris Jackson with the 64th pick. Most teams had Jackson in the 7th round. Georgia safety Greg Blue will be a special teams' demon, but doesn't have good coverage skills and may be moved to weakside linebacker. Finally, if they wanted to select Oregon's Kellen Clemens in the second round, they were out-foxed by the inexperienced Jets. New personnel chieftan Fran Foley has more headaches than quite a few biographical mistakes in his resume. Grade: D

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2006, 07:40 AM
Best line (by Peter King):

"Minnesota dealing two third-round picks for the last pick of the second round -- so it could take Tarvaris Jackson, a quarterback out of Alabama State. NO ONE BUT HIS MOTHER had him going in the first two rounds. Silly, silly move."

swede
05-01-2006, 07:44 AM
Interesting perspectives, Harv.

I will have to write down and tape to my wall that impressive list of players that have come from the Walker trade.

Start with the fact that if we HADN'T traded him he would have almost certainly been a pain in the ass for months. Follow up with that list of players. Keep track of their contributions to the team, and this could be the footbal equivalent of the Sexon trade!

MadtownPacker
05-01-2006, 08:42 AM
Nice to read some positive thought on the Packs draft. So much different from last seasons terrible reviews. TT went off and made the team deep like an ocean.

Rastak
05-01-2006, 08:51 AM
Nice to read some positive thought on the Packs draft. So much different from last seasons terrible reviews. TT went off and made the team deep like an ocean.

On kfan this morning Vikings radio voice Paul Allen thought Green Bay had a very solid draft .
Thought Millan F'd up again by letting Leinert go to Arizona....liked the Vikes draft.

Joemailman
05-01-2006, 08:53 AM
Best line (by Peter King):

"Minnesota dealing two third-round picks for the last pick of the second round -- so it could take Tarvaris Jackson, a quarterback out of Alabama State. NO ONE BUT HIS MOTHER had him going in the first two rounds. Silly, silly move."

Why does this move remind me of B.J. Sander? :mrgreen:

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2006, 08:57 AM
Of course, PA likes the Vikings draft. He works for them.
:D

I love Paul Allen, but he and Puffy are homers.

I realize you know that, but others on here my not.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2006, 09:44 AM
http://nfl.com/draft/story/9407945

I thought eight teams had very good drafts.

Let's start with Green Bay, which finished the day with five picks and ended up with two linebackers -- A.J. Hawk (Ohio State) and Abdul Hodge (Iowa). Cleveland did a very good job, and so did Carolina.

New England was really outstanding in that it got a very good running back and traded up to get Florida receiver Chad Jackson, who can be a topflight pass catcher. The Patriots also got tight end David Thomas (Texas) in the third round, and where they got him was a real steal.

Baltimore and Arizona did very well. The Jets did extremely well considering they picked up a second-round pick in the 2007 draft. Pittsburgh filled its needs.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2006, 09:50 AM
Draft Analyzer

Green Bay
Rd Sel# Player Pos. School
1 5 A.J. Hawk OLB Ohio State

Vic Carucci's Analysis
Hawk was widely seen as the "safest" pick of the draft because he combines elite playmaking ability with the sort of work ethic and overachieving mentality normally found in less talented players. Although it would have made sense to provide Brett Favre with the draft's best pass catcher in tight end Vernon Davis, this is the perfect cornerstone player for the new era of coach Mike McCarthy. Hawk is a strong leader and will make his presence felt immediately on a defense that needs plenty of upgrading.

2 47 Daryn Colledge OT Boise State

Gil Brandt's Analysis
He is a player from North Pole, Alaska; there's not too many players from there. He is a very athletic tackle who was a four-year starter. His speed and athletic ability are good, but he needs more strength.

2 52 Greg Jennings WR Western Michigan
Gil Brandt's Analysis

Jennings is a big-play guy. He's a very good return man, and might be a prospect at cornerback. He has good size and speed for a receiver.

3 67 Abdul Hodge ILB Iowa

Gil Brandt's Analysis
A three-year starter who has been very, very productive. I don't think he can play outside linebacker; he is a middle linebacker.

3 75 Jason Spitz C Louisville

Gil Brandt's Analysis
When you look at his body, you don't expect him to be good. He can play guard and center, and is a very good pick here.

4 104 Cory Rodgers WR Texas Christian

Vic Carucci's Analysis
Rodgers' most likely early contribution would be as a kick returner. He did catch a lot of passes in his college career, he shows good patience on his routes and does a good job of finding creases in the zone. However, he is a very raw talent whose speed is unimpressive and whose hands are inconsistent.

4 115 Will Blackmon WR Boston College

Gil Brandt's Analysis
He was the Rhode Island high school player of the year and also holds sprint records at his school. He's versatile; he can play wide receiver and cornerback.

5 148 Ingle Martin QB Furman

Gil Brandt's Analysis
He was a quarterback. He started college ball at Florida, but left when Ron Zook was fired and a new system was installed. He looked very good at the Combine, especially with his throwing skills; he has good arm strength.

5 165 Tony Moll OT Nevada

Gil Brandt's Analysis
He is athletic, but undersized. Green Bay must put weight on him. He has good strength.

183 Johnny Jolly DT Texas A&M

Gil Brandt's Analysis
He was a three-year starter who played as a true freshman. He played especially well against Texas in the team's final game of the season. He continues to play well against tough opponents.

6 185 Tyrone Culver FS Fresno State

Gil Brandt's Analysis
I like him, and I think he is a good, solid football player.

7 253 Dave Tollefson DE Northwest Missouri State

Gil Brandt's Analysis
Tollefson (6-4¼, 265) ran well at his Pro Day (4.75) and has some pass-rush skills thanks to his speed.

Minnesota
1 17 Chad Greenway OLB Iowa

Vic Carucci's Analysis
Brad Childress is an offensive-minded coach, but he understands he must foritify his defense. And this is a good draft to supply that sort of talent. Greenway doesn't have great size, but he has superb technique and instincts that make him an outside linebacker who can contribute rushing the passer, dropping into coverage, and defending the run. He'll need to add some bulk and strength to be even a greater force.

2 48 Cedric Griffin CB Texas

Gil Brandt's Analysis
I think this is a real good pick. He was a three-year starter and made lots of good plays, including an interception in the Rose Bowl. Really improved in the past year, and can play safety or cornerback. I think he will play for a long time in the NFL.

2 51 Ryan Cook C New Mexico

Gil Brandt's Analysis
He was a walk-on player who started all four years but might be better suited for tackle in the NFL. It is easier for a 6-foot-6 man to play offensive tackle than center. He can play both positions, and that is a plus.

2 64 Tarvaris Jackson QB Alabama State

Gil Brandt's Analysis
Jackson started at Arkansas and then transferred to Alabama State. At the East-West Shrine Game, he surprised a lot of people with his ability. He throws very few interceptions.

4 127 Ray Edwards DE Purdue

Gil Brandt's Analysis
He had a very good junior season, but off-the-field problems with the coaching staff put him on the bench halfway through the season. Lots of skills if he can get his mind in the game.

5 149 Greg Blue FS Georgia

Pat Kirwan's Analysis
He can't catch 'em, but he can tackle 'em. He'll be a good special-teams player.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2006, 09:52 AM
Interesting note from a Vikings friend of mine who I respect:

"I think Hawk is a freak and will be a force for the Packers for years to come. They had a great off season! Funny how much difference a month can make.

Greenway seems like such a good guy. Raised on a pig farm in Mt. Piliear South Dakota, popualtion 450, when he's in town. The thing I like about him is that his weakness can be improved. His weakness is that he's not very strong, but with profesional trainers and facilities I think he can improve in that department.

Still don't like round 2 for us. I don't mind that the like Cook and Jackson, but part of the draft is knowing when to pick these guys up. I think they honestly could have got both in the 3rd and taken someone other than Cook with their 2nd second. Of coarse they will say that they got word that neither would be available for them because some other team way eyeing them.

IMO
Vikings = c

rookie coach = rookie draft

Packers = a-

TT had a great spot to draft in and made several moves to bring in a bunch of players...solid job.

Do you know much about the Hicks (oline philly) guy the Vikings traded for?"

No Mo Moss
05-01-2006, 10:20 AM

On kfan this morning Vikings radio voice Paul Allen thought Green Bay had a very solid draft .
Thought Millan F'd up again by letting Leinert go to Arizona....liked the Vikes draft.

I'm listening to that right now. Are you suprised they liked the Vikes Draft? I'll bet Dave Senecan likes the PAckers draft when he comes on at 10:30. Those guys are Rubes, I believe is the term.

Rastak
05-01-2006, 10:27 AM
Interesting note from a Vikings friend of mine who I respect:

"I think Hawk is a freak and will be a force for the Packers for years to come. They had a great off season! Funny how much difference a month can make.

Greenway seems like such a good guy. Raised on a pig farm in Mt. Piliear South Dakota, popualtion 450, when he's in town. The thing I like about him is that his weakness can be improved. His weakness is that he's not very strong, but with profesional trainers and facilities I think he can improve in that department.

Still don't like round 2 for us. I don't mind that the like Cook and Jackson, but part of the draft is knowing when to pick these guys up. I think they honestly could have got both in the 3rd and taken someone other than Cook with their 2nd second. Of coarse they will say that they got word that neither would be available for them because some other team way eyeing them.

IMO
Vikings = c

rookie coach = rookie draft

Packers = a-

TT had a great spot to draft in and made several moves to bring in a bunch of players...solid job.

Just like Hawkins and Collins last year....guys I though went early. Actually I think they could have gotten Cook later but he's pretty solid 6' 7" and did something like 28 reps on the bench press...very strong and motivated.

Rastak
05-01-2006, 10:30 AM

I guess he's started a bunch of games for Philly and can play either gaurd or tackle.Cook can play gaurd and center.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2006, 10:36 AM
I know all about Hicks. He didn't. I told him that I wouldn't be surprised to see him start for the Vikings. He's better at OG than OT. He'll likely start if Marcus Johnson can handle RT. He's no world beater, and he's probably a guy a team will always looking to upgrade on, but I think he's better than what they have. Personally, I think that trade was the second best move they made on draft day--after drafting Greenway. I think Griffin was a solid pick. I had him late 2nd/early 3rd, but he's a solid player. I think Edwards was a solid pick for where they got him. I thought Cook was a reach. I like Jackson's potential, but I'm not sure he was worth two 3rd round picks. I think it will take 2-3 years before he's ready to play. I guess we'll see what kind of QB guru Childress really is.

Rastak
05-01-2006, 10:41 AM
I know all about Hicks. He didn't. I told him that I wouldn't be surprised to see him start for the Vikings. He's better at OG than OT. He'll likely start if Marcus Johnson can handle RT. He's no world beater, and he's probably a guy a team will always looking to upgrade on, but I think he's better than what they have. Personally, I think that trade was the second best move they made on draft day--after drafting Greenway. I think Griffin was a solid pick. I had him late 2nd/early 3rd, but he's a solid player. I think Edwards was a solid pick for where they got him. I thought Cook was a reach. I like Jackson's potential, but I'm not sure he was worth two 3rd round picks. I think it will take 2-3 years before he's ready to play. I guess we'll see what kind of QB guru Childress really is.

Yup, we'll know in a couple of years.....

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2006, 10:53 AM
As much as I worry about the Packers passing on Demetrius Williams and Jason Avant for Cory Rodgers, Reggie McNeal and Bruce Gradkowski for Ingle Martin, and Greg Eslinger for Tony Moll, the Vikings had a few of those also. They passed on QB Charlie Whitehurst for Tarvaris Jackson (and gave up a 3rd round pick to do it), Chris Chester for Ryan Cook, Mark Anderson for Ray Edwards, Ashton Youbouty and Richard Marshall for Cedric Griffin, and Marcus Hudson for Greg Blue. We'll see. I guess all teams did similar things, so I'm not going to get too down on specific picks. I just hope the whole body of work turns out well for the Packers.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2006, 11:30 AM
Draft Judgements: Favre gets his gold watch early
By Clark Judge

Brett Favre, this one's for you.

Forget about parting gifts for the lame-duck quarterback. The Green Bay Packers just delivered what Favre needs most in a season expected to be his last.

Green Bay was one of the weekend's big winners in a draft that can't help but benefit Favre this year and the club for the long haul. There were guards. There was a tackle. Wide receivers. Return specialists. A pass rusher.

And there was A.J. Hawk.

In short, it was one of the best drafts in years for Green Bay, and I haven't even mentioned the team's acquisition of free-agent cornerback Charles Woodson. Anyway, it's about time the Pack knocked one out of the park.

Now the question: Is it in time to send Favre out a winner?

We'll have to wait on that one. But if you're Favre, who now is on the clock, you're grateful the club sent in the cavalry. Favre said he didn't want to end his career with last year's disappointing results, and this draft virtually assures that won't happen.

That doesn't mean I anticipate Green Bay challenging for the top of the NFC North. I don't. But I also don't anticipate Favre having to carry this team again.

And here's why:

* Hawk becomes an immediate starter. Not only was he the best linebacker in the draft, he might've been the best defender in it, too -- and, yes, I'm counting No. 1 pick Mario Williams.

* Guard Daryn Colledge is a prospective starter. He was the starting left tackle at Boise State, where he was named the team's Outstanding Offensive Lineman last season. What you like about Colledge is that he's mean, tough and strong -- setting several school weightlifting records. He's also durable, starting 51 games at Boise.

* Greg Jennings was the fourth-best wide receiver in this draft. So he played at Western Michigan. He produced, with three consecutive 1,000-yard seasons and a school-record 238 receptions. Oh, yeah, he also caught 39 scoring passes -- breaking the previous Western Michigan record by 12 TDs. Essentially, he replaces Javon Walker, traded for a second-round pick.

* Linebacker Abdul Hodge was a steal at the 67th position. The guy was so good last year that he shared team MVP honors with Chad Greenway, taken with the 17th pick. Not only did Hodge lead the Hawkeyes in tackles in each of the last three years, he averaged a conference-best 13.2 tackles a game last season.

* Wide receiver Cory Rodgers moonlights as a return specialist, leading the WAC last year with a 30.3-yard average on kickoff returns. If you think you're going to return a lot of kicks, you might as well find someone who's competent. The Pack just did.

* It did again when it found Boston College cornerback Will Blackmon in the fourth round. Blackmon adds depth to the secondary, but he's more likely to have an impact on punt and kickoff returns. In 2004 he became the first player in school history to return both for TDs in the same season, and his 2,803 career yards in kickoff returns were only 120 yards short of the NCAA record. Blackmon and Woodson will lobby coach Mike McCarthy for time in the huddle with Favre. Each has experience at wide receiver, with Blackmon switching from corner to wide receiver his senior year.

And that was just the beginning. Green Bay also added offensive lineman Tony Moll. A productive quarterback to sit behind Favre and Aaron Rodgers. A couple of defensive linemen. And a safety.

Brett Favre may be winding down, but the Packers? Maybe, just maybe, they're getting started again.

Charles Woodson
05-01-2006, 12:04 PM
Espn's take

Green Bay Packers: GRADE: B
I gave Green Bay an A after the first day. The Packers had a lot of picks (12), and some were definitely reaches. Linebacker A.J. Hawk, their first-round pick at No. 5, will give the Packers a much-needed face on defense. Offensive tackle Daryn Colledge needs to get stronger and become a better run-blocker. I really like WR Greg Jennings, LB Abdul Hodge and C Jason Spitz. Will Blackmon was both a wide receiver and cornerback at Boston College, but reportedly he will get a chance to play corner initially.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2006, 12:16 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-nfcgrades050106&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Green Bay Packers

High marks – The mass of the class is fantastic – 13 total picks, including five in the top 75. Linebackers A.J. Hawk and Abdul Hodge should be a great tandem for years to come. Tackle Daryn Colledge and center Jason Spitz should eventually develop into starters. Greg Jennings and Cory Rodgers add depth to the receiving crew and should provide what Terrence Murphy would have if he hadn't been injured. Cornerback/wide receiver Will Blackmon offers flexibility and can also be a return specialist. Defensive tackle Johnny Jolly was a great value selection in the sixth round.

Low marks – The Packers started strong, but dropped off with some reaching in Rounds 5 through 7. Two big ones came in the fifth round: Quarterback Ingle Martin was a seventh-round choice on many boards, and tackle Tony Moll was expected to be an undrafted free agent.

Final grade: A

Minnesota Vikings

High marks – Cedric Griffin is a good addition to the cornerbacks and should be able to step into the nickel role as a rookie. In the future, he could develop into a top-notch player who pushes for the No. 2 cornerback job. Chad Greenway is a good productive outside linebacker who should solidify the position opposite Ben Leber.

Low marks – There were too many major reaches in the second round. Tackle/center Ryan Cook offers some flexibility, but most teams had him going in the fourth or fifth. Quarterback Tarvaris Jackson might have the best arm in the draft, but he was widely thought to be a fourth-rounder at best.

Final grade: C

mngolf19
05-01-2006, 12:51 PM
Of course, PA likes the Vikings draft. He works for them.
:D

I love Paul Allen, but he and Puffy are homers.

I realize you know that, but others on here my not.

Your right Harv, PA is a homer on stuff like that. Not that he won't rip them either, but I don't think of him as any kind of judge.

mngolf19
05-01-2006, 12:52 PM
What!

The Packers have never gotten that kind of respect in a draft grade! Now they have me worrying. When the "experts" say something good about the Packers it creates a paradigmatic shift that unnerves me.

They did name our two best defensive picks, but I like Darryn Colledge, too. He will be a star on the offensive line.

Swede, are you qualified to use words like paradigmatic? :wink:

Guiness
05-01-2006, 01:18 PM
Another team I thought had a very good draft (again) was Philly. They got three smokin' linemen in Bunkley, Justice and Jean-Gilles. The last 2 went lower then generally projected.

You've got to like Arizona's luck. I can just see ol' Denny's face when he realized Leinart was falling to him. HOLY F@#$#@$!!! must've rung out in their war room when Oakland, Buffalo and Detroit, all with QB needs passed him over

I'll have to look through the another analysis'. What's being said about the paradigmatic shift Houston made in taking Mario?

swede
05-01-2006, 01:22 PM
What!

Swede, are you qualified to use words like paradigmatic? :wink:

Sorry. That was a typo. I meant "pile of dog-mating shit".

mraynrand
05-01-2006, 01:47 PM
"That doesn't mean I anticipate Green Bay challenging for the top of the NFC North. I don't. But I also don't anticipate Favre having to carry this team again. "

---

Why not? On paper, do the Vikings and Lions look much better? The Bears had a charmed season last year and still don't look to have any offense. yes they have a decent defense, but the Packers moved the ball all over the field on them last season. Sure, if the Packers are multiply injured like last year, they're going to struggle, and they have to overcome the loss of two wideouts, but just looking at the NFC North and the competition that the Packers face, it seems like 8-8 might be competetive in the NFC north.

mngolf19
05-01-2006, 04:14 PM
Why not? On paper, do the Vikings and Lions look much better? The Bears had a charmed season last year and still don't look to have any offense. yes they have a decent defense, but the Packers moved the ball all over the field on them last season. Sure, if the Packers are multiply injured like last year, they're going to struggle, and they have to overcome the loss of two wideouts, but just looking at the NFC North and the competition that the Packers face, it seems like 8-8 might be competetive in the NFC north.

I would say on paper (doesn't mean much) that yes the Vikes and Bears do look better than the Pack. But divisional games can always go either way as they are very emotional. I know the Bears are inconsistent on winning, the Vikes have a new coach which can go either way. Pack has a new coach which can go either way but I would expect them to do better than last year. And the Lions have a new coach and if he can make improvements despite Millen they don't have a bad team.

BooHoo
05-01-2006, 05:44 PM
Most forum posters must be happy, the pack got their man in Hawk. As far as the draft goes, I do not take any stock in what the "experts" say about whether a team did a good job or bad job in the draft. They are paid to make statements about how the teams did. These are only opinions that really don't mean much except gets the "experts" their next pay check. The real judge will be how many of the pciks are still around at the end of the season and how they performed during the year.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2006, 07:42 PM
I think the talent level on the Vikings and Packers is much closer than Viking fans seem to think. This was a team with two new OGs, that lost their top 3 RBs, 3 of their top 5 wideouts, and their top TE for good chunks of the season. It's a team that lost more close games than any team in recent memory (5 by three points or less). It was a team that was young.

Minnesota 9-7-0 PF: 306 PA: 344
Green Bay 4-12-0 PF: 298 PA: 344

QB Brett Favre or Brad Johnson?
RB Ahman Green or Chester Taylor?
FB William Henderson or Tony Richardson?
WR Donald Driver or Koren Robinson?
WR Rod Gardner or Travis Taylor?
TE Bubba Franks or Jermaine Wiggins?
LT Chad Clifton or Bryant McKinnie?
LG Junius Coston or Steve Hutchinson?
OC Scott Wells or Matt Birk?
RG Daryn Colledge or Artis Hicks?
RT Mark Tauscher or Marcus Johnson?

DE Aaron Kampman or Erasmus James?
DE KGB or Kenechi Udeze?
DT Ryan Pickett or Pat Williams?
DT Colin Cole or Kevin Williams?
LB Nick Barnett or E.J. Henderson?
LB A.J. Hawk or Chad Greenway?
LB Ben Taylor or Ben Leber?
CB Charles Woodson or Antoine Winfield?
CB Al Harris or Fred Smoot?
S Nick Collins or Darren Sharper?
S Marquand Manuel or Tank Williams?

To me, that's maybe 7-5 to the Packer with the rest being relatively even. Minnesota does have a couple of more stars. Talent level is a lot closer than Viking fans think. That's okay. Let them be unaware. Actually, neither lineup is overly impressive. The division is weak.

RashanGary
05-01-2006, 07:51 PM
I think the Packers have the edge because Favre and Hawk are true playmakers and the Vikes have none.

BF4MVP
05-01-2006, 08:20 PM
The thing I liked most about the Packers' draft is that they chose production over potential. All but one of their draft picks stayed in school for their entire college career, and started for the majority of it.

Colledge started 4 years at Boise State (they run the zone blocking scheme, which is a bonus)

Jennings is one of only 11 players in division 1 history to have 3 1,000 yard receiving seasons.

Hodge and Hawk were both three year starters and tackling machines.

Blackmon came within 120 yards of the NCAA record for kick return yardage.

You can see where I'm headed..

Antonio Chromartie was a first round pick despite only starting one game. I don't think I would draft a guy like that in the first..

James Lee didn't start in college..How has he turned out?

I don't know, I just think what the Pack did this year is a better way to go about it. Maybe I'm talking out of my ass..

Joemailman
05-01-2006, 08:27 PM
BF4,

Are you tring to hint that TT is better at running a draft room than Sherman? :shock:

You are right about how TT took guys who have played a lot of college ball. I think that increases the chances that they will be able to contribute relatively quickly. Sherman took a lot of guys, including Walker, who were only starters for a year or two.

HarveyWallbangers
05-02-2006, 12:12 PM
Draft Report Card
Dr. Z, SI.com

Do you know what's the most unfair tactic used by we journalistas? Ripping some team's draft choice about five years after the fact by going down the roster of Pro Bowlers who were drafted later and saying, "Look who they could have had." A trick like that takes no brains and no work. All you need is a roster. Everybody does it. And I'm here to put a stop to it, do you hear?

No, folks. You rate the draft at the time and then you keep your trap shut. None of that hindsight stuff.

So I am here to offer my letter grades on the 2006 draft. I've had complaints in previous years that my grades were too soft, and I'm going to hear them again this year because I have too many B's and not enough C's and D's. Sorry. In my old age I'm turning gentle ... can you imagine?

A

BRONCOS: Two years ago Javon Walker caught 89 balls for the Packers. He wanted a long-term deal. Instead he got a torn ACL in his right knee. But wait, the story has a happy ending, because on draft day this year he was traded to Shanahan U., which also moved up to draft QB Jay Cutler, rated by some as the best of the Big Three. And how are these for extra weapons in the receiving game -- Tony Scheffler, a swift TE, Brandon Marshall, an oversized wideout? I mean there's going to be more firepower in the air over Denver than the RAF threw at the Luftwaffe in the Battle of Britain.

SAINTS: Congratulations for not blowing the Reggie Bush pick. You sent light into a city darkened by gloom. That gets you the A. The rest of the draft? Well, you'd better put some linemen in front of this dazzling runner, or it'll be another Dalton Hilliard story. The first time I saw Bush run I thought of two players he reminded me of, when they were in college: Marshall Faulk and Dalton Hilliard. Same rapid cuts and quick bursts. Scintillating runners. Faulk is headed for the Hall of Fame. Hilliard, believe me, a wonderful little back, had an eight-year career with the Saints, playing behind some miserable lines. His lifetime average per carry was 3.7, and he was only in the 4.0 range twice. So during the draft this time the Saints picked up a veteran center from Cleveland, Jeff Faine. That's good. The highest-drafted O-lineman they got was tackle Jahri Evans in the fourth round. Raw talent, everyone says. Would you prefer cooked talent?

CARDINALS: A day after the draft I got an e-mail from the Cardinals. One thousand, five hundred season tickets sold over the weekend to come watch this dynamic team in brand-new Cardinals Stadium, with its retractable roof and fully retractable grass playing surface. "How about retractable players?" says my hopelessly cynical wife, but those days are gone, because now they've got Matt Leinart and a really terrific stud guard from the USC offensive machine, Deuce Lutui, and Leonard Pope, a gigantic 6-7 1/2 TE who can really motor.

A-

JETS: They look like a pack of hooligans. They yell and scream and carry on, but believe me, the most sophisticated football fans in the country are the ones who attend the draft in NYC, and most of them are Jets fans. They make their views known at full room volume. When the club added to its roster of botched first-round choices by picking, say, Ron Faurot or Kyle Brady instead of Warren Sapp, they screamed and booed and hit each other over the head with rolled-up magazines, and fell to the floor in agony. When the team traded way up for Dewayne Robertson or drafted Chad Pennington late in the round, they cheered long and loud. So I was very curious to see how they'd react to the D'Brickashaw Ferguson choice on Saturday, after the tabloids had devoted the week to trying to whip the fans into an absolute frenzy for drafting Leinart ... perfect for New York ... the shame of the city if they pass him up ... and so forth. There were a few boos, but mostly cheers, and one guy pointed to his head. Smart! I told you they were sophisticated. So are the Jets, who are building from the ground up with the best tackle, and later in the round the best center, Nick Mangold. And they landed a very productive defensive player in Ohio State LB Anthony Schlegel, who I read hunts wild boars with a knife. Give the boar a knife, too, and I'd be impressed.

49ERS: Vernon Davis, the TE who ran the amazing 4.38, is going to catch a lot of deep balls down the seam, and if they can somehow keep Eric Johnson healthy, then they'll have a two-tight end offense that will prematurely age a lot of LBs and safeties. They're obviously giving young Alex Smith every opportunity to succeed, because they've added another flyer, tiny Brandon Williams, and to cap off one of the more athletic drafts in their history, they picked Manny Lawson, a LB who clocked a 4.43 at the combine workouts.

B+

RAMS: Here's the good news: CB Tye Hill, who won the Fastest Man at the Combine Workouts prize with his 4.30; Joe Klopfenstein, an intriguing, athletic TE prospect, Southern Cal's Dominique Byrd, still another TE (Huh? Are they really the Rams?); John Alston, a linebacker with combine numbers you can't believe...4.40 speed, a long jump of 11 feet, third longest of all the jumpers in the joint (there's a guy who's improved by leaps and bounds). Here's the not-so-good news: DT Claude Wroten, who has...and we'll give you the euphemisms for being a jerk ... "issues," "baggage," "character problems," "immaturity problems," etc. Tell me something. When you overcome your immaturity problems, are you eligible for adult entertainment? Just asking.

LIONS: I see Rod Marinelli, the new coach, surrounded by some good, tough guy types; LB Ernie Sims, a punishing hitter, ditto Nebraska SS Daniel Bullocks, and G Fred Matua from the USC line. And I really like the highly productive RB, Brian Calhoun, despite what the Pro Football Weekly special draft publication said about him. Here's what it said. Under Positives: "Runs hard and competes hard to pick up extra yardage." Under Negatives: "Not a powerful runner who is going to pick up much yardage after contact."

B

PACKERS: Well, they lost Javon Walker, but they traded like crazy and wound up with 12 picks, high number for the weekend. From this mob emerges premier LB A.J. Hawk, a skinny pass-blocking tackle named Daryn Colledge (how could his parents not have named him Joe?), a 98-catch wideout, Greg Jennings, and a fine instinctive ILB, Abdul Hodge.

RAVENS: You bet I like drafts that lead off with two big guys, DT Haloti Ngata 338 pounds, and they say he still has some growing to do (Did I ever tell you why I really like King Kong? Because there's a guy who won't take any guff from the airlines), and Chris Chester, an athletic center who pulls out and leads plays. The sleeper light is flashing -- P.J. Daniels, a gutty little former walk-on RB who you might say would give Jamal Lewis a run for it if you were foolish enough to believe that these competitions are anything close to being fair.

RAIDERS: Don't start resurrecting the Robert Gallery pick and telling me, "Look at all the great guys they could have had who were drafted after him; this club doesn't know what it's doing." It was hats in the air all around when they made that selection. I think their top choice, CB-S combination Michael Huff, is just fine, and I salute the gambling instinct that led them to such guys as LB Thomas Howard and T Paul McQuistan and G Kevin Boothe, all of whom are on the rise and could pay off big some day. Doesn't it seem like about a year ago that all us draftniks were projecting Vince Young to the Raiders?

PATRIOTS: At Bill Belichick's post-draft press conference, someone got up the nerve to mention to the coach that he seemed to have problems at LB, and uh, CB, too, and yet the team's first five picks were offensive players, including a kicker. Doesn't this seem odd? ("Odd, waddya mean, odd?" From what movie? Said by James Westerfield, playing Big Mac, the hiring boss, in On the Waterfront). I mean, it seems to be an offensive draft, does it not? And I got a kick out of Belichick's reply -- "If you take a running back in the first round and then trade up to take a receiver in the second round, it's going to be hard to have a defensive draft." The runner: the highly sought after Laurence Maroney. The receiver: Chad Jackson, No. 1 on some people's board. Then there are two really interesting TEs, Dave Thomas and Garrett Mills. And an astute observer of this column, someone who's still awake, that is, will note that I gave the Bears a low grade for doing the same thing, drafting to strength, not need. So where's the fairness, huh? Look, friend, I learned a long time ago you simply do not second-guess these babies up in Foxboro. They know what they're doing.

PANTHERS: I like need drafts. The stirring DeAngelo Williams to fortify the pounding running game, Richard Marshall, a big league corner to battle Reggie Howard for the nickel back spot, and James Anderson, a highly athletic LB, to compete for the vacancy outside.

STEELERS: Same deal here. Big needs were at WR for the departed Antwaan Randle El and FS for the loss of Chris Hope. So the first two drafts were Santonio Holmes, one of the top two or three wideouts, and FS Anthony Smith, not a burner but a guy with a great instinctive feel for the game.

B-

BUCCANEERS: As a pair, I like choices Nos. 3 and 4 better than Nos. 1 and 2. First choice Davin Joseph is a top-grade guard, but the second pick, T Jeremy Trueblood, is a 6-8 string bean who was tied for sixth weakest among the 44 linemen who participated in the combine's grunt and heave, a.k.a. bench press. Third-round WR Maurice Stovall is a big guy who I predict will really be productive in this offense, and CB Alan Zamaitis (fourth round) is made for Monte Kiffin's cover-two defense.

BENGALS: They wanted a Whitner and settled for a Whitworth. Donte Whitner, the safety, was long gone when they drafted. Andrew Whitworth is a second-round tackle. (This lame attempt at humor merely points out how desperately I need the upcoming vacation, which begins next week. Full details of same will be furnished in June.) This Whitworth guy, by the way, is quite a character. Has never missed a practice due to injury. Has 52 straight starts, which the NCAA is claiming as one short of its all-time record. Hey, NCAA! Ever hear of an end named Barney Poole? Made All-America for both Ole Miss and the Blanchard-Davis West Point teams. Had a full career for each school, which you could do, uh, sort of, during the World War II era. I'm almost forgetting the top pick, CB Johnathon Joseph, close to the best on the board, second fastest at the combine at 4.31.

BROWNS: This is going to be interesting. Saturation bombing at the linebacker level. They took the draft's top edge pass rusher Kamerion Wimbley; second-round choice D'Quell Jackson, rated the top guy inside; Leon Williams, still another ILB, in the fourth round. Bill Parcells used to say that you could never have enough linebackers. And guess whom Romeo Crennel coached under when he was learning the professional game?

CHIEFS: Herman Edwards wound up with some really fine people. First-round pick DE Tamba Hali miraculously escaped the horrors of war-torn Liberia. Third-rounder QB Brodie Croyle grew up at his father's ranch for abused children, and still spends a great deal of time there. Second-round choice SS Bernard Pollard is a fine leader and a very tough hitter. Oh yes, they can all play, too.

SEAHAWKS: Very good players at the top. CB Kelly Jennings is a competent man-to-man cover guy. Think of the Packers' Aaron Kampman and you've got a fix on DE Darryl Tapp, who gave D'Brickashaw Ferguson all he could handle last season. Third-round choice Rob Sims shot way up on the board after great workouts, and David Kirtman, the first fullback taken, is also a guy who can catch.

B-/C+

TITANS: It's a nebulous, wishy-washy type of grade because they've sent it all in on Vince Young and LenDale White, and they could both either make it big (kindly raise this grade to A over A+ if this happens) or struggle in some way. Sorry, but I can't predict. I leave that to the guys on TV.

C+

EAGLES: Everybody loves Philly's draft more than I do. Top pick Brodrick Bunkley? Fine. No problem there. But the second-round choice, Winston Justice, simply is not my cup of tea. Workout warrior who plays OK at times, not so OK at other times. Plus he pulled some stuff at USC that, well, they treated fairly lightly because of immaturity or something, whereas if your kid or mine did it, he might be serving time. Third-round choice LB Chris Gocong has great workout numbers, but he'll be learning a new position. Does this sound like a high grade draft? Maybe I'm being too rough, but coming after the problems they had last year ... to go find a new problem child just rubs me slightly wrong.

COWBOYS: I'm real smart, see. When I talked to Bill Parcells and tactfully asked him, "Who are you gonna draft?" and he replied, "You know the kind of guys I like," I knew right away that he loves mammoth LBs, and 256-pound Bobby Carpenter was the biggest one there, so who did I give him? A wideout, naturally. Best available athlete. A pick for value. Add any other clich that comes to mind. OK, Carpenter gives him that muscle in the middle. The next choice, Notre Dame TE Anthony Fasano, is, hopefully, a Mark Bavaro reincarnation, or something close to it. After that? Not a whole lot that thrills me.

CHARGERS: This is another situation where, if the gamble pays off (CB Antonio Cromartie with only one start, coming in), the grade will be significantly raised. They wanted a tackle and they found a 6-8 work in progress, Marcus McNeill. Oh yes, they also got veteran Rams end Brandon Manumaleuna. You know something? I think this grade is too low. What the hell, I'll let it ride and see how Cromartie does.

VIKINGS: I hear good and bad things about first round LB Chad Greenway. The scouts who like him say he's very active and productive. The ones who don't say that he misses too many tackles, and one guy told me, "I don't think he sees what's in front of him." Well, for God's sake, don't let him cross any streets by himself. But I do like CB Cedric Griffin better than anyone else does, especially since I saw him make that dazzling interception in the Senior Bowl. They traded up two spots to get QB Tavaris Jackson in the second round, and you never know what riches you can reap at this position.

C

COLTS: Tony Dungy very honestly said before the draft that RB Joseph Addai is a very nice person, steady, kind of unspectacular, but he stands up when a lady enters the room and speaks when spoken to. His only failing is that he's not Laurence Maroney, whom the coach really wanted. In the second round he took one of the smallest people in the draft, 5-7 1/2 CB Tim Jennings, and I know why he did it...to make a couple of 5-8's in his secondary, Jason David and Bob Sanders, feel like giants.

JAGUARS: Top draft Marcedes Lewis is a tall, athletic TE with average speed. His UCLA teammate, though, is my favorite Jaguars pick, Maurice Drew, a fiery little runner and a great return man. No. 3, LB Clint Ingram, has some fine workout numbers.

DOLPHINS: They needed help in their deep secondary, they got it with Jason Allen, the draft's best FS. WR Derek Hagan has ability but he drops the ball. Third-round pick T Joe Toledo has a great name. Wasn't he in Guys and Dolls? Or was that Nathan Detroit?

BILLS: Bad offense last year, but I guess the defense was worse, so that side of the ball got the first five picks. SS Donte Whitner is a good player, but he projected lower than the eighth overall pick. Ditto DT John McCargo at No. 26. But Buffalo will come out of this draft well fortified in the secondary, with CB Ashton Youboty and FS Ko Simpson.

C-

FALCONS: How do we play this? Do we count ex-Jets DE John Abraham part of the draft, because he did cost the Falcons a No. 1? Well, I'm sort of counting him, if you can figure that one out. On the rookie front, though, it's kind of lean pickings. At one time Jimmy Williams was regarded by some as the draft's best CB, but his unpredictable attitude became such a problem that he fell out of the first round. And into the laps of the Falcons.

GIANTS: Their first-round choice, Mathias Kiwanuka, will go into camp as the fourth DE, joining the crowd at the team's strongest position. OK, value, etc., plus eventual replacement for Michael Strahan, assuming the rookie gains in bulk and strength. I like their next choice, though, little Sinorice Moss, a dynamic longball receiver and punt returner, who kind of fell to them.

D

BEARS: Offense finished 29th, defense second last year, so we draft for defense, boys, and let those smart-ass writers go figure it out on their own. Oh, is that so? Is that so? Well, we'll show you. D, how's that? Take that home to your parents. "You sure you don't want to go to bed and finish this tomorrow?" the Redhead says. Nah, I'm rolling along just fine. I honestly think that top draft Danieal Manning from Abilene Christian is a tough kid from a small program, also a guy with a very interesting way of spelling his first name. Let's see, DT Dusty Dvoracek can really fight the double team but not off the field, where he had to enroll in an anger management program. Defensive end Mark Anderson vertically jumped 42 inches (the high mark) at the combine, so don't leave any pie to cool on your windowsill if this guy's walking by. "Admit it, you're bitter because their general manager didn't return your phone calls, aren't you?" says the Flaming Redhead. Yeah, OK, I admit it. Next case.

REDSKINS: This is not really fair. The No. 1 draft went for QB Jason Campbell last year, and the personnel guys can't help it if Joe Gibbs didn't play him. They traded up to get LB Rocky McIntosh high in the second round. A good move. He's active and instinctive.

TEXANS: I'm not kidding. There are scouts who don't like DE Mario Williams because they say he takes a play off every now and then. The Reggie Bush thing will be a heavy stone they'll drag around from year to year. And the frosting on the cake was owner Bob McNair telling the New York press that it wasn't the fact that they couldn't sign Bush as much as a desire to draft for defense. Respectfully, sir, may I remind you that you were not addressing town folks. This was The Apple. Ah, why go on? He knows, we know, everyone knows, this was a bum deal all around for the folks in Houston.

Harlan Huckleby
05-02-2006, 03:01 PM
I'm in no position to judge this draft, who knows about all those obscure guys? I guess with 12, u only need half of them ot make the team to declare victory.

Hawk was obvious choice.

GB traded down out of high slot in second round, and WR from Florida, Jackson went to....Denver? If one of the two WR's that GB picked in lower rounds pans-out, fine. But Jackson sounded like a guy who could have helped the packers.

Partial
05-02-2006, 03:31 PM
I think the Packers have the edge because Favre and Hawk are true playmakers and the Vikes have none.

Kevin and Pat Williams are the definition of playmakers. If we had those DTs, watch out. We'd be great.

Partial
05-02-2006, 03:35 PM
I'm in no position to judge this draft, who knows about all those obscure guys? I guess with 12, u only need half of them ot make the team to declare victory.

Hawk was obvious choice.

GB traded down out of high slot in second round, and WR from Florida, Jackson went to....Denver? If one of the two WR's that GB picked in lower rounds pans-out, fine. But Jackson sounded like a guy who could have helped the packers.

BD,

I think there is more too it though with Jackson. For starters, he wasn't very productive in college. The thing that really hits me about him is the fact the Steelers felt they had to trade up to get Holmes, rather than keep that extra draft pick and take Jackson. The Steelers are probably the only team in the league that values draft picks more than the TT-led Packers.

I think there is some red flag on this guy we are missing. He obviously has the measureables that every team wants from a receiver, but why wasn't he picked higher? Why didn't the Steelers take him instead of trading up?

I think we're missing a big part of the story. I question how high many scouts really had him rated that as the first our second wideout.

mraynrand
05-02-2006, 03:37 PM
It begs the question: Why would Belichick blow two picks on this guy? Clearly, TT had Jennings rated higher and that's why he made the trade.

HarveyWallbangers
05-02-2006, 03:38 PM
I get the feeling that Thompson liked Jennings more than Jackson, and I don't think that's a huge stretch. I've read quotes from a few scouts who rated Jennings as the best or 2nd best receiver (probably behind Holmes) in the draft. The top was weak. I don't think there was as big of a dropoff as we might have thought from receiver #2 to #8 in the eyes of a lot of GMs.

KYPack
05-02-2006, 10:26 PM
I get the feeling that Thompson liked Jennings more than Jackson, and I don't think that's a huge stretch. I've read quotes from a few scouts who rated Jennings as the best or 2nd best receiver (probably behind Holmes) in the draft. The top was weak. I don't think there was as big of a dropoff as we might have thought from receiver #2 to #8 in the eyes of a lot of GMs.

Jackson was the second most impressive reciever at the combine. Jackson had that extra gear, runs ultra smooth and has very soft and quick hands. I can't believe he dropped to two. Then I was excited when i saw we had a shot at him, but then came the trade. It wasn't until the next day, when one of the mentally challenged on here, began to complain about us not drafting Jackson, that I realized there must be something going on with the guy.

Harv, whacha think of the Rams draft?

I was very impressed.

Guiness
05-02-2006, 10:44 PM
Harv, whacha think of the Rams draft?

I was very impressed.

Why the interest in the Rams draft?

Their trade with Denver was good. Looks to me like they moved back a couple of slots, and still got the guy they wanted. More teams could learn to do that.

However, I find it odd that they drafted two TE's. Klopfenstein is reasonably fast...maybe a WR convert? I can't see why else they'd do that.