PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp Notes / Pics

packers11
07-28-2007, 04:15 PM
Packers open training camp
The Green Bay Packers officially opened their 2007 training camp this afternoon at Clark Hinkle Field under sunny skies and temperatures in the mid-80s. Hundreds, and more likely thousands, of fans lined the practice field fence to watch the first of 24 practices open to the public this summer.
-- Mike Vandermause/mvandermause@greenbaypressgazette.com
posted by PackersNews.com at 2:11 PM | 0 Comments

packers11
07-28-2007, 04:15 PM
Driver, Pickett not taking part in full workout
All of the players on the Green Bay Packers roster showed up for practice today. Dressed in shorts and not participating in full-scale workouts were receiver Donald Driver, defensive tackle Ryan Pickett, defensive lineman Johnny Jolly and rookie running back DeShawn Wynn.
— Tom Pelissero/tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

packers11
07-28-2007, 04:16 PM
Williams works with No. 1 defensive unit
Some snapshots from early in today's practice:

— Although first-round draft choice Justin Harrell was listed as a starter on the preseason depth chart at defensive tackle, veteran Corey Williams was working with the No. 1 unit during drills. Colin Cole was filling in at the other defensive tackle spot in place of Ryan Pickett.

— Greg Jennings fumbled an end-around handoff from Brett Favre during team drills.

— Punter Jon Ryan consistently was booming kicks with hang times over 4.5 seconds. Ten of Ryan's 19 punts went 50 yards or longer, with a long of 57. Free agent David Lonie didn't participate in the punting drill.

— Rookie safety Aaron Rouse stripped the ball from tight end Bubba Franks during a ball-protection drill. :roll:

— Mike Vandermause/mvandermause@greenbaypressgazette.com

packers11
10,000 turn out for first practice

A Green Bay Packers spokesman estimated today's crowd at 10,000, which includes fans watching practice and participating in the Packers Experience in the Lambeau Field parking lot.

packers11
Jagodzinski attends practice

Former Packers offensive coordinate Jeff Jagodzinski was in attendance today. Jagodzinski, who is the head coach at Boston College, was wearing a Boston Red Sox baseball cap and standing on the field with other Packers coaches.

— Tom Pelissero/tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

packers11
07-28-2007, 04:18 PM
Injury update

Tight end Tory Humphrey went down during team drills about an hour and 20 minutes into practice. Humphrey slumped on his side and then rolled over on his back while medical personnel attended to his left leg. Humphrey was carted off the practice field with his leg heavily wrapped from the knee all the way down to his foot.

Hawk blitzes rookie

Two notable items from a team blitz drill:

— Linebacker A.J. Hawk ran over rookie running back Brandon Jackson on his way to what would have been a sack of quarterback Brett Favre.

— Rookie receiver James Jones showed an ability to come back hard for the ball and make a tough catch in heavy traffic from Brett Favre.

Kickers hit all attempts

There was no advantage gained in the first field goal period.

Dave Rayner went five-for-five, making two field goals from 27 yards, one from 32 yards and two from 37. Jon Ryan was his holder.

Rookie Mason Crosby went four-for-four with all of his field goals from 32 yards. David Lonie and Ruvell Martin each held for two of Crosby's kicks.
— Rob Demovsky/rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

BallHawk
07-28-2007, 04:39 PM
Super Bowl here we come!!!! :D :D :D

packers11
07-28-2007, 04:40 PM
Practice wrap-up

Ryan Pickett, Johnny Jolly and DeShawn Wynn were on the non-football injury list today, and receiver Donald Driver failed his physical because of a shoulder injury, coach Mike McCarthy said after practice.

Pickett and Jolly were placed on the list because of conditioning, and McCarthy said he was “not happy.” Wynn has an illness.

Tight end Tory Humphrey, who was hurt during practice, has an ankle injury and was taken for X-rays, according to McCarthy.
-- Tom Pelissero/tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

Thats 1 less tight end... :doh:

woodbuck27
07-28-2007, 05:46 PM
Practice wrap-up

Ryan Pickett, Johnny Jolly and DeShawn Wynn were on the non-football injury list today, and receiver Donald Driver failed his physical because of a shoulder injury, coach Mike McCarthy said after practice.

Pickett and Jolly were placed on the list because of conditioning, and McCarthy said he was “not happy.” Wynn has an illness.

Tight end Tory Humphrey, who was hurt during practice, has an ankle injury and was taken for X-rays, according to McCarthy.
-- Tom Pelissero/tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

Thats 1 less tight end... :doh:

That report on Ryan Pickett (poor coditioning) bothers me. I thought he started slow last season.

TT and MM better show Williams some respect.

RashanGary
07-28-2007, 05:53 PM
My report will be up shortly. It is pretty extensive on the line play. The editor (Ziggy) is working on it as we speak.

woodbuck27
07-28-2007, 05:58 PM
Williams works with No. 1 defensive unit
Some snapshots from early in today's practice:

— Although first-round draft choice Justin Harrell was listed as a starter on the preseason depth chart at defensive tackle, veteran Corey Williams was working with the No. 1 unit during drills. Colin Cole was filling in at the other defensive tackle spot in place of Ryan Pickett.

— Greg Jennings fumbled an end-around handoff from Brett Favre during team drills.

— Punter Jon Ryan consistently was booming kicks with hang times over 4.5 seconds. Ten of Ryan's 19 punts went 50 yards or longer, with a long of 57. Free agent David Lonie didn't participate in the punting drill.

— Rookie safety Aaron Rouse stripped the ball from tight end Bubba Franks during a ball-protection drill. :roll:

Williams in for Pickett.

Good news for Jon Ryan ( he's very dedicated) and he will be better than last season. Trust that.

Aaron Rouse on the rise and Bubba is about done. Good news for the new guy and a reality check for a man in decline.

We must find some action at TE.

We also have to get some offensive punch out of our FB, especially on third downs.

GO PACKERS !!

Cheesehead Craig
07-28-2007, 06:42 PM
— Linebacker A.J. Hawk ran over rookie running back Brandon Jackson on his way to what would have been a sack of quarterback Brett Favre.
Welcome to the league kid.

— Rookie receiver James Jones showed an ability to come back hard for the ball and make a tough catch in heavy traffic from Brett Favre.

Good to see some positives from the guy. Sure as hell beats "looked lost out there and dropped several catchable passes".

RashanGary
07-28-2007, 06:52 PM
I saw that play. Hawk timed the blitz perfectly but there was a wall of palyers watching taht blocked my view so I couldn't tell what happened after he tore around the corner.

Brando19
07-28-2007, 07:00 PM
This is a very exciting time. I'm cheering for the 2 VA Tech players, Rouse and Clowney. I hope they do well for the Pack. I'm very suprised about Pickett's conditioning. He's one of my faves on the defense and I hope he gets his act together.

GBRulz
07-28-2007, 08:34 PM
We drove past, saw the bazillion people there and drove to the next bar! I have never seen so many people at a regular TC practice before. Maybe next week I'll have time to catch a practice where it won't be so crowded.

HarveyWallbangers
07-28-2007, 09:08 PM
What a pansy. Get out there and give us some reports.
:D

b bulldog
07-28-2007, 09:12 PM
I'm going to be bringing my two boys up to practice tomorrow, what time are they scheduled to take place and which one is full pads?? I' can't find any times...thanks.

RashanGary
07-28-2007, 09:19 PM
8:45 AM and 6:30 PM

Both are full pads. I'm going to have to miss the first one. I'll be at the night practice though.

GBRulz
07-28-2007, 09:47 PM
What a pansy. Get out there and give us some reports.
:D

I don't do well with reports. That means I have to take my concentration off the players themselves :lol:

The night practice on Tuesday should be cool, it's at the Old City Stadium.

CaliforniaCheez
07-28-2007, 11:38 PM
If you go to the Packers website multimedia page there are some player interviews that can provide a variety of perspectives. The interviews go from 1.5 minutes up to 6 minutes each.

Driver said a lot about his situation but the media did not listen well.

Jackson said about the Hawk play that he was in the rotation at Fullback on the play. Does that matter? You decide.

Kampmann was a little more critical but emphasized that it was the first practice and it was a lot better than last year at this time.

James Jones comments were humorous. He seemed scared as a rookie to talk to the coaches. "I don't ask them anything!"

Best of all you can hear it in context without the media's "interpretation".

packers11
07-28-2007, 11:55 PM
Pictures :

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=U0&Dato=20070728&Kategori=PKRTRAIN&Lopenr=707280806&Ref=PH

CaliforniaCheez
07-29-2007, 12:09 AM
http://i.packers.com/pg/2007-07-28b/photo1.jpg

Hokie Pokie!! You put your shoulder in, you put your shoulder out,

http://i.packers.com/pg/2007-07-28b/photo13.jpg

Chugging contest!!!

http://i.packers.com/pg/2007-07-28b/photo4.jpg

Don't hurt me!!

http://i.packers.com/pg/2007-07-28/photo5.jpg

Get some running shoes kid, you need them.

http://i.packers.com/pg/2007-07-28/photo18.jpg

Barbie Doll

http://i.packers.com/pg/2007-07-28/photo13.jpg

The experience of Rayner puts him ahead of Crosby in the race.
At least both bikes are blue....

CaliforniaCheez
07-29-2007, 10:08 AM
http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/photographer/10/10082_large.jpg

You mean I have to give it back??

Scott Campbell
07-29-2007, 10:28 AM
My report will be up shortly. It is pretty extensive on the line play. The editor (Ziggy) is working on it as we speak.

Ok, just saw it. Nice work. You taking suggestions on what to watch for?

If so, I'd love to know if Jones can gain seperation. His biggest knock from the draftniks was his lack of speed, and I'm interested to learn if that keeps him from gaining decent seperation.