View Full Version : DRIVER FAILS PHYSICAL

Bretsky
07-28-2007, 11:11 PM
Discomforting news
Driver fails physical, sits out due to nagging shoulder injury
By LORI NICKEL
lnickel@journalsentinel.com
Posted: July 28, 2007

Green Bay - The first day of training camp is usually filled with optimism and hope. And it is usually the only day of camp when everyone is in attendance because no one has fallen yet due to injury.
86883Packers/NFL

So it was shocking, then, to see one of the most valuable and reliable players in a Green Bay Packers uniform on the sideline Saturday because he failed his physical exam.

Wide receiver Donald Driver watched practice at Ray Nitschke Field with a nagging right shoulder injury that he has had for more than seven months. He did not pass his physical Friday because he is lacking arm strength and therefore has been placed on the physically unable to perform list.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy could not yet say when Driver might be able to return.

"He has a re-occurring injury with the shoulder that he hurt last year, so, he will be day-to-day with the shoulder," McCarthy said.

However, the second-year Packers coach didn't seem alarmed about Driver's lingering injury.

"I'm not concerned," McCarthy said. "Like all of us (know), Donald will keep himself in excellent shape year round. It's just something Donald's coming into camp with. So, we're just being cautious with it."

Driver does not believe the shoulder will require surgery, but it was clear something was wrong when team physician Patrick McKenzie tested Driver by having him put his arms straight out. The doctor would push up and down on Driver's arms, and Driver's shoulder wasn't strong enough to provide much resistance.

Driver tried to convince McKenzie he was OK to play, that it wouldn't stop him from playing and catching.

"There's nothing I can do about it," Driver said. "I may feel like I can go but I have to pass that physical."

Driver first injured the shoulder in Week 14 on Dec. 10 at San Francisco but returned to the game.

He then returned for practice the following week for the most part before being forced to miss practice the final two weeks of the season. Still, he managed to start every game.

"I didn't want to take any time off to get ready to play (the next week)," Driver said. "I had to play. You have to play games regardless of the situation."

He led the Packers with 92 catches for 1,295 yards last season. Even playing through a sprained ankle he suffered in Week 10, the offense practically ran through Driver's sure hands, as he was on the field for 86% of the offensive plays.

After the season, Driver didn't do anything about the shoulder in the winter months. All he did was maintain his strict workout regimen.

The 32-year-old entering his ninth season then participated in the May minicamps as if nothing was wrong, for two reasons, he said. First, he wants to keep his job as the Packers' No. 1 receiver.

"I have a bunch of young receivers. It's going to be week in and week out, we're all competing for a job," Driver said. "I'm not ready to give mine up. In the off-season, that's what I do. Once the season is over, I go back to work. Once this season is over, I'm going to go back to work again. I'm not going to take any time off regardless of the situation."

Second, he wants to set an example for a receiving group that has several young players.

"My guys are looking for me to be out there," Driver said. "Robert Ferguson said it today. 'It just seems like it's not right if you're not out there.' I have to get back out there not just for him but the rest of the receiving group, because if I'm out there they understand it's time to win. Those guys basically feed off me."

Driver admits he might have aggravated the shoulder some in the off-season workouts. He missed the last two organized team activities that were open to the media in June, but he hoped the injury would go away on its own.

"It's been one of those things," Driver said. "I've been lifting weights and working out all off-season long. Maybe it got to a point where I started tweaking it a little bit. I started feeling pain again. Now it's all about treatment, hoping I can be out there in a couple days.

"When you're young your body heals faster; when you're old it doesn't. The biggest thing for me was that I wanted to go out there and continue working out."

If the injury were to linger into the season, the Packers could be in deep trouble. Driver has missed just four starts in the last seven seasons and has been Green Bay's leading receiver four of the last five years.

GrnBay007
07-28-2007, 11:23 PM
re-occurring injury?

7 months?

.....and there's no concern? WOW

Bretsky
07-28-2007, 11:25 PM
Hopefully it's a non issue within a few weeks; but this would be a nightmare in the regular season

mmmdk
07-29-2007, 01:04 AM
This is horrible news; Driver is (now) fragile and if 7 months hasn't healed the shoulder...how will training camp? If TT knew this then his failure to bring a vet WR via FA is a disaster.

HarveyWallbangers
07-29-2007, 01:08 AM
The sky is falling. Sounds like he re-injured himself working out, but it doesn't sound like he's far away from returning. Personally, I'd wait to see what happens before getting my panties in a bunch.

the_idle_threat
07-29-2007, 01:38 AM
:lol:

Do you have your own panties, or do you wear the wife's? :P :P :P

I'm sorry, I had to go there :twisted: ... even though I agree with your point.

Rastak
07-29-2007, 02:47 AM
The sky is falling. Sounds like he re-injured himself working out, but it doesn't sound like he's far away from returning. Personally, I'd wait to see what happens before getting my panties in a bunch.

When was the last OTA? I wouldn't panic as a fan but shoulder injuries do suck. How long has he been resting it I wonder.

HarveyWallbangers
07-29-2007, 03:10 AM
Every team will have their nicks. Donald is a warrior. I'll start worrying about this if he's not cleared within 2 weeks.

Read this at KFAN:

Practice began with the QBs attempting to throw 40 yard passes into a brown, plastic garbage can. Tarvaris Jackson sank two or three. The crowd was really into this drill, "ooohing" and "aaahing" every time a ball came close.

Bevell must have brought this over from his time in Green Bay. Sounds like Jackson is more accurate throwing into a garbage can than Brett is.
:D

Rastak
07-29-2007, 03:14 AM
Every team will have their nicks. Donald is a warrior. I'll start worrying about this if he's not cleared within 2 weeks.

Read this at KFAN:

Practice began with the QBs attempting to throw 40 yard passes into a brown, plastic garbage can. Tarvaris Jackson sank two or three. The crowd was really into this drill, "ooohing" and "aaahing" every time a ball came close.

Bevell must have brought this over from his time in Green Bay. Sounds like Jackson is more accurate throwing into a garbage can than Brett is.

Yea, though Jackson missed several guys on long passes in actual drills. Word is he can zing the ball in fine but has trouble floating it in when needed. Probably the wrong thread for this though.

the_idle_threat
07-29-2007, 03:34 AM

Read this at KFAN:

It'a an appropriate drill for the Vikings considering the state of the team's receiving corps. :P

BEARMAN
07-29-2007, 07:56 AM
TE, WR, who's next? Farve ? He is OLD ! :shock: :huh:

Rastak
07-29-2007, 08:05 AM

Read this at KFAN:

It'a an appropriate drill for the Vikings considering the state of the team's receiving corps. :P

Dude, you should be on Johnny Carson.....

That's two excellent shots in just two days!

CaliforniaCheez
07-29-2007, 08:51 AM
It is not so bad.

1. Go to the Packer wesite, multimedia section, and listen to the Donald Driver clip.

2. Donald Driver explains the situation quite well. Also listen to the stupidity of the reporters as they dumb questions already addressed.

3. You will be reassured.

4. If there was a game this week he would be starting.

GBRulz
07-29-2007, 09:14 AM
I was very shocked to read about this news. I agree with Harvey though, I won't get my panties in a bunch about it for a couple of weeks yet :lol:

KYPack
07-29-2007, 09:20 AM
I won't get my panties in a bunch about it

Promise?

or

Threat?!

Scott Campbell
07-29-2007, 09:28 AM

I think being a warrior might be part of his problem here. He shouldn't still be screwing around with an injury from last season.

MJZiggy
07-29-2007, 10:10 AM

I think being a warrior might be part of his problem here. He shouldn't still be screwing around with an injury from last season.

I agree. I think the team physician should have been involved in January if only to make sure it was healing properly and the lifting wasn't making anything worse.

Bretsky
07-29-2007, 10:33 AM
TE, WR, who's next? Favre ? He is OLD ! :shock: :huh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Rex Grossman :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Scott Campbell
07-29-2007, 10:51 AM

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Rex Grossman :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Mike Brown? Tommie Harris? Brett might be old, but those guys are frail.

Bretsky
07-29-2007, 10:53 AM

But Brown and Harris, you can win titles with those guys if they are healthy.

I don't think you can win a championship with Rex Grossman. We hope he stays healthy :lol:

Brando19
07-29-2007, 11:33 AM

:lol: Enough said, Bretsky....enough said.

Dabaddestbear
07-29-2007, 12:39 PM

Are you serious? That was Harris first injury in his career. and Brown just gets injuries unknown to any man...lol.
Brett isnt just old...He just doesnt have it anymore.

Dabaddestbear
07-29-2007, 12:41 PM
What Packer fans have to realize is that even with Grossman playing his worst at times he still took his team to the SB because there are other game changers on the team. The packers cannot say the same.

MJZiggy
07-29-2007, 12:45 PM
What Packer fans have to realize is that even with Grossman playing his worst at times he still took his team to the SB because there are other game changers on the team. The packers cannot say the same.

The Packers don't have to say the same because you may be trying to convince yourself that Favre doesn't have it any more, but he is still perfectly capable of taking this team to the big show and winning it once he gets there. And I'd hold off on that game-changer idea 'cause you never know who will take charge...

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-29-2007, 12:46 PM

Are you serious? That was Harris first injury in his career. and Brown just gets injuries unknown to any man...lol.
Brett isnt just old...He just doesnt have it anymore.

First injury of his short 3 year career. Brett hasn't missed a game in his long 16 year career. Also, look at week 17 film and then tell me Brett doesnt have it anymore.

Dabaddestbear
07-29-2007, 12:49 PM

The Packers don't have to say the same because you may be trying to convince yourself that Favre doesn't have it any more, but he is still perfectly capable of taking this team to the big show and winning it once he gets there. And I'd hold off on that game-changer idea 'cause you never know who will take charge...

I will put my hat in the ring that says the Packers have no game changers on offense or defense as it stands. I am comfortable saying Brett doesnt have it anymore because anyone without Brett colored glasses can see that. Even when he took them to the Big dance it was because of the Packers great defensive play that got them over the top, not his arm. Packers present day=No defense=losing season.

GBRulz
07-29-2007, 12:56 PM
What Packer fans have to realize is that even with Grossman playing his worst at times he still took his team to the SB

Yes, he certainly should have been the MVP of the SB this year, I'll give you that!

Scott Campbell
07-29-2007, 01:01 PM

He'd still start on their team. That is if he could keep from puking over being a Bear.

Bretsky
07-29-2007, 01:37 PM

Congrads on being one of the top 5 teams last year and winning the pathetic NFC; more teams than the Colts would have beaten Fraud Grossman.

Keep Rex and No Title for you :lol:

BEARMAN
07-29-2007, 04:08 PM

Rex is much improoved this year, he has many more weapons at his disposle also. TE/Olson, WR/Hester, along with all the players from last season, Moose, Benson, Peterson. Rex will be operating out of the shotgun, stepping up into the pocket more and one full year under his belt. Look out cheese eaters, Da BEARS are coming , and they are hungery ! 8-)

retailguy
07-29-2007, 05:01 PM

Rex is much improoved this year, he has many more weapons at his disposle also. TE/Olson, WR/Hester, along with all the players from last season, Moose, Benson, Peterson. Rex will be operating out of the shotgun, stepping up into the pocket more and one full year under his belt. Look out cheese eaters, Da BEARS are coming , and they are hungery ! 8-)

You said the same thing about Grossman last season, and for a while, I thought you might be right. Then reality slammed itself down on Wrex's head, and the "run" ended. He lost his confidence in the Arizona game last season and NEVER has got it back.

The rest of the team looks solid, but NO team succeeds without a leader. Wrex is no leader.

MadtownPacker
07-29-2007, 05:14 PM
I hadn't even read this thread until right now.

DBB - Save that shit! You know you wish badly that Favre could have been the bears QB for the last decade and a half. Like you said, Favre could only win the Superbowl when he had a great defense. So maybe you think of all the wasted years of good and even great bears defenses that didnt even get to the playoffs in the last decade? I bet both you and urlacher think of what it would have been like if that SOB Favre had been commanding the bears O! How many of the games where the bears couldnt move the ball would they have won?

None of you don't expect it out of rex, even bearman has admitted it, several times. Why do you guys even bother comparing him to someone who he will never meet up to?

:roll:

Bretsky
07-29-2007, 09:15 PM

You said the same thing about Grossman last season, and for a while, I thought you might be right. Then reality slammed itself down on Wrex's head, and the "run" ended. He lost his confidence in the Arizona game last season and NEVER has got it back.

The rest of the team looks solid, but NO team succeeds without a leader. Wrex is no leader.

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

RashanGary
07-29-2007, 09:22 PM
Yeah DaBaddest, you ass hole.

There, nothing like ganging up on a Bear fan :duel: to bring us all together. I feel like a big group hug is in order :hug:

Packnut
07-29-2007, 09:53 PM
Yeah DaBaddest, you ass hole.

There, nothing like ganging up on a Bear fan :duel: to bring us all together. I feel like a big group hug is in order :hug:

It's normal for families to argue and dis-agree but "outsiders" are SCUM!

And Bears fans are the biggest scum on earth...........

BEARMAN
07-29-2007, 11:11 PM
Oh, I feel the luv now ! Once the season starts and Rex is the top QB (again) all you ney sayers will eat crow, cold ! :twisted:

Dabaddestbear
07-29-2007, 11:24 PM

DBB - Save that shit! You know you wish badly that Favre could have been the bears QB for the last decade and a half. Like you said, Favre could only win the Superbowl when he had a great defense. So maybe you think of all the wasted years of good and even great bears defenses that didnt even get to the playoffs in the last decade? I bet both you and urlacher think of what it would have been like if that SOB Favre had been commanding the bears O! How many of the games where the bears couldnt move the ball would they have won?

None of you don't expect it out of rex, even bearman has admitted it, several times. Why do you guys even bother comparing him to someone who he will never meet up to?

Name one good or great Bears Defense that didnt make the playoffs. And Keep in mind even with a a great Defense the second time around Brett Choked in the big game(with more experience then Rex). And Regardless of how many the Bears would have won with Brett the fact is the Bears team on offense and defense is still young and better than anything the Packers have seen in years. Even if Rex doesnt pan out the Bears future is a lot better than what the Packers have left in Brett. I am not comparing him to Brett but you Packer fans seem to keep chosing to do so . I guess that is the only hope to hang your hat on as a Packer fan so I understand. While the Bears fans can look to the PLAYMAKERS on offense and defense to be happy about even if Rex screws up. If Brett screws up....well, you always have the Brats and beer to cheer about...lol.

Bretsky
07-29-2007, 11:39 PM

Name one good or great Bears Defense that didnt make the playoffs. And Keep in mind even with a a great Defense the second time around Brett Choked in the big game(with more experience then Rex). And Regardless of how many the Bears would have won with Brett the fact is the Bears team on offense and defense is still young and better than anything the Packers have seen in years. Even if Rex doesnt pan out the Bears future is a lot better than what the Packers have left in Brett. I am not comparing him to Brett but you Packer fans seem to keep chosing to do so . I guess that is the only hope to hang your hat on as a Packer fan so I understand. While the Bears fans can look to the PLAYMAKERS on offense and defense to be happy about even if Rex screws up. If Brett screws up....well, you always have the Brats and beer to cheer about...lol.

Calling the Packers defense great in the year GB went back to the Super Bowl is quite ignorant on your part.

I hope you are stuck with Rex forever. He's not going to lead a team to a title. Maybe you'll be a top 5 team in the NFL. That might even mean another Super Bowl loss.....seeing the best teams reside in the AFC

Dabaddestbear
07-30-2007, 12:15 AM

Calling the Packers defense great in the year GB went back to the Super Bowl is quite ignorant on your part.

I hope you are stuck with Rex forever. He's not going to lead a team to a title. Maybe you'll be a top 5 team in the NFL. That might even mean another Super Bowl loss.....seeing the best teams reside in the AFC
OK not the greatest but they were ranked 7th that year. Which is still pretty damn good. Regardless who we are stuck with as Packer fans like I said before, at least we will have something to cheer about. <Packer fan> "Hey go Brats and Beer! Yeah!" :wink:

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-30-2007, 07:24 AM
B is right, it's going to take a lot more than a great Bears D to win a superbowl. I can name at least four teams in the AFC that have both a great offense and a great defense. And sorry to tell you, but with Rex your offense will be nothing more than average.