View Full Version : Q&A w/TT---McGinn kicks him in the balls over & over

the_idle_threat
07-29-2007, 01:56 AM
GM insists Packers have what it takes make playoffs

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=639306

By BOB MCGINN
bmcginn@journalsentinel.com
Posted: July 28, 2007

Many pundits and prognosticators don't expect much from the Green Bay Packers this season, and Ted Thompson isn't quite sure why.

Thompson, 54, enters his third season as general manager with high regard for a team that was a miserable 4-12 in 2005 before rebounding to miss the playoffs by one game last year at 8-8.

The Packers, according to Thompson, should be sufficiently improved to "win," his shorthand for a winning season, and thus contend for a berth in the National Football League post-season.

In an interview Friday with Journal Sentinel beat writer Bob McGinn, Thompson set forth his hopes for the season, explained his vision for the future and how he builds a team, and discussed life at the top of the Packers' football decision-making hierarchy.

Q.Brett Favre will be 38 in October and is nearing the end of his legendary career. Yet, your major addition on offense was a second-round pick at running back. Why didn't you do more to provide some firepower for Favre in what might be his final season?

A. I think we try to do the best we can for the team. If our team gets better then that's better for Brett. We're trying to do the best we can. In the draft, the board works a certain way and that's the way we pick guys.

Q.Brett Favre is an all-time competitor and will no doubt do everything in his power to win this season. But after your team's failed bid for Randy Moss, he appeared to have lost faith in you and the organization. Have you had to mend fences with Favre?

A. No. Having played helps me a little bit. I don't have thin skin. I think it's good for players to voice their opinions. As an organization you'd like everybody to be happy all the time. I think Brett has earned the right to say what he wants to say, and he does quite often.

Q.Favre has never come across as a shrewd judge of personnel, but in his mind he saw Moss doing damage in Green Bay with Donald Driver and Greg Jennings. He wanted Moss and said Moss would have done the same reduced deal that he took in New England. Given the circumstances, why didn't you obtain Moss?

A. Randy Moss is a member of the New England Patriots now. That's the way it is. It's inappropriate for me to be discussing a player that's on another team.

Q.Ron Wolf and Bob Harlan almost always explained themselves to fans when given the opportunity in similar forums. Don't fans in this state deserve an explanation from the general manager three months after the fact?

A. Right. I still think it's inappropriate to talk about a player that's on another team.

Q.I don't recall Ron Wolf getting in trouble with the league office when he talked about players on other teams. Why aren't you more forthcoming?

A. I just don't do that.

Q.You're well into the third year of a five-year contract. No matter what you inherited, the team is 12-20 during your watch. Do you worry that your tenure might be short-lived if the team doesn't start winning this season?

A. Well, we would like to win this season. I've said that publicly and privately, saying we expect to win. I don't worry about things like, "Am I going to be here after this year?" That never enters my mind.

Q.The NFC North might be the weakest division in football, especially without an effective quarterback in Chicago, Minnesota and Detroit, and the NFC is easily the weaker of the two conferences. In your third year, do you think this team should be expected to win at least 10 games and make the playoffs?

A. I don't do much predicting. I expect us to win. I do think that we should be thinking about the playoffs. Once you get in the playoffs you never know what's going to happen.

Q.Are you maybe a much better team right now than the public perception?

A. I'm not a good judge of public perception, but I think we're a pretty good team. We're going to be stronger and deeper than we've ever been, certainly in the last three years. We're going to have very difficult decisions to make as we go through camp. We've got competition at every position. We're going to be better on special teams. We're going to be better on offense. We're going to have a really good defense. I think it's OK if we're being overlooked.

Q.You've traded down nine times in your first three drafts, accumulating a host of young players and improving the overall talent. But in the end does your future rest on the success or failure of Aaron Rodgers? Will it make any difference for your future and that of Mike McCarthy if Rodgers can't play?

A. Well, we have a lot of faith in Aaron Rodgers. But I don't think you ever think that the fate of an organization or someone's career rests solely on one person.

Q.In your mind, what happens if Rodgers proves that he isn't the answer?

A. Why I suppose then you'd move on. But we don't look for that to happen. We think whenever it does become his time, Aaron will be a good player. So we're not looking at it in terms of, "Oh my gosh, what if?"

Q.To what degree were you aware of sentiment in the building that John Jones was too abrasive and not fit to be the team's next chief executive officer? What was your working relationship like with him?

A. My working relationship was good with John. I wasn't aware of those things.

Q.What qualities would you like to see in the Packers' next leader and your next boss?

A. That's at a much higher level than I'm at. Be a good leader. Good judge of people. Probably the same things that would make you a really good CEO at IBM would make you a good CEO here. A person who gives credit to others. You're going to have to care about this organization and understand how it works and what it means to people. It's a hugely important decision going forward.

Q.As close friends with Mike Reinfeldt, and godfather to one of his children, does he want the job in Green Bay, which would be an obvious promotion from GM in Tennessee? How would he fare if selected?

A. Well, Mike has a job in Tennessee. Other than that I'd rather not speculate or talk about that.

Q.One personnel director said recently that if he ever got a shot like yours he would be aggressive, take chances and, if it didn't work, accept his firing without looking back. That certainly hasn't been your modus operandi. What is most near and dear to you building a football team?

A. We make lots of decisions every day. You try to make each decision the best you can and then you go to the next thing. I know I'm going to get criticism. I know people have passion and they care about this place. I do, too. Maybe to a fault I care about it. I want to do the right thing, and I gnash my teeth and I try to make sure we're doing it the way we should do it. But we try to err on the side of what's best for the organization as a whole. A quick fix or something like that, I don't think it's as important to Packer fans. I think they want to have good people here. They want people that represent the community well. Obviously, it's important to win here. This tradition has been established and re-established over time. We know we have to win.

What's near and dear to me is the team that takes that field, and the players that represent this place, these people that have supported them over all these years can be proud of them. That's where we're trying to get to.

Q.What do you count as the successes at the halfway point of your five-year appointment?

A. I think we've done a pretty good job building up the core of the team. I think when you have playoff runs like the Packers have had over a number of years you don't have maybe the normal turnover in a roster. You wind up getting a little top-heavy in terms of age. I'm not one of those people who tries to get young for the sake of getting young. It's just that it makes for a more healthy organism, really, if in fact you have a good mixture of veterans and youth. I think we've added competition. We haven't won enough games, and that's my responsibility.

Q.No one should have known Ahman Green better than you. Did you err in not getting him re-signed before the start of free agency?

A. We had some talks. Doing a contract is hard to predict. I would have liked to have kept Ahman. We just got bid out of the water.

Q.On the day after Green signed with Houston for $5.7 million per year and $8 million guaranteed, running back Travis Henry went to Denver for an average of $4.5 million, with $12 million guaranteed. You're sitting here now with about $15 million in cap space. Why didn't you go get Henry?

A. That's another example of someone that's on another team and I'm not really going to get into that.

Q.Some personnel people scoff at the idea that the Packers have a legitimate No. 1 running back. Having passed not only on Henry but also Michael Turner, Willis McGahee, Jamal Lewis, Chris Brown and others, isn't it safe to say that some of your reputation is on the line with what happens at running back this season?

A. I think my reputation is on the line at every position. But we feel pretty comfortable with the competition we're going to have at running back. We like these guys.

Q. Joseph Addai, the 30th pick last year, helped lead the Colts to the Super Bowl. Little Maurice Drew, the 60th pick in '06, had a great first year in Jacksonville. Do you like Brandon Jackson as much as them? What do you expect from him and Vernand Morency?

A. I don't know how to compare them. They're different running backs. I think Brandon Jackson is a good player. Vernand Morency came in and played a role last year and did a nice job. All the guys in the backfield can catch the ball. They have different running styles. We think it's going to be a good group. It may wind up running back by committee, or someone might establish himself.

Q.Do you expect another major addition at running back before Sept. 9?

A. I don't know that you can predict anything like that. Depends on if some other team is looking to do something.

Q.Wolf didn't even want small running backs around in a cold-weather locale like Green Bay. At 212, do you really think Vernand Morency and Brandon Jackson can hold up late in the year at Lambeau Field?

A. Yes. I just think they're pretty good backs. There are guys all over the league who played at 212 pounds. We'll see.

Q.The other day at the shareholders meeting you spoke about the overriding value of team. Sometimes that gets overlooked. Why do you think selling that to an organization is so critical?

A. Because I think that's what this place is. Football is the ultimate team sport, defense probably even more so than offense. I'm sure people in other sports would argue that. I just think, especially in a place like this, it's good to remind us all that this is a team sport and it's more special here than anywhere else.

Q. Did you love playing on those teams in Houston for a decade? Does your abiding affection for being part of a team affect your decision-making on players?

A. Loved it. Absolutely. It affects all of our decisions in personnel. It affects us when we're thinking about guys in the draft or free agency or tradable guys. The best time in football is not when you get a trophy for being an all-pro. The best part is looking around a winning locker room and knowing this guy over here did his part and you feel that collectively. The culture has changed a little bit. There's all this instant access and instant stardom or failure. I still think if you talk to the guys in this sport who have been renowned - Brett Favre, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Charles Woodson - and what their thrills are in life, I'll bet you it would be a team's success as opposed to an individual trophy. Not all players would agree, but I bet you the real ones would.

Q.Given that you didn't add much beyond the draft, you must be comfortable with your roster. Is this team pretty much where you hoped it would be?

A. Yeah. There's still a lot of unknowns. I believe in my heart the competition we have at every position will make our team better.

Q.What are the chances that this defense can put the fear of God into people and become a dominant force?

A. I don't know about the fear of God and all that. I think we have a chance to be a good defense. We have what I believe, 1 through 9 or 10, an excellent defensive line that works well together. I think our linebackers will be extremely strong, not only our starters but whoever wins in the backup areas. I think our secondary will be very good. We feel very comfortable with Charles (Woodson) and Al (Harris) at the corners. Nick Collins is coming into his own. Marquand (Manuel) didn't have a good year. We're going to be able to play nickel and dime packages. We're going to have depth. Now it has to happen. We have to come together. But I think we saw a little bit of it toward the end of the season.

Q.Sometimes the mark of a strong, confident leader is being able to admit mistakes. You know better than anyone when you've erred. What were some of your major miscalculations?

A. I don't do too much looking backwards. Probably the one that sticks in my mind is we weren't able to shore together the offensive line in 2005. We didn't do a very good job of that.

Q.The defense never would have been as good last season or perhaps this season without big-money expenditures on free agents Charles Woodson and Ryan Pickett. So you enter free agency this year with the second-most room under the cap of any team and wind up with just Frank Walker. Why didn't you do more?

A. Sometimes we were in conversations with people and it just didn't work out. They preferred to be in a particular area of the country. Sometimes it had to do with money. In a lot of cases we felt like some of the players we had were just as good prospects.

Q.You had various degrees of interest in Donnie Edwards, Joe Horn, fullbacks Terrelle Smith and Justin Griffith, and Jimmy Wilkerson, only to back away at the end. Bob Harlan once said he encouraged you to spend more money. Do you just have trouble pulling the trigger? Do you have what it takes to pull off a major deal?

A. No. No, I don't. . . to answer your question (laughs). Free agency is free agency. In some of those cases we were trying to sign them and they signed with other places. In some cases they signed for less than what we offered. With some of those fellows we ultimately felt they wouldn't help us.

Q. Sometimes to do big deals you have to think big and have vision. Most turn out just to be pipedreams. There are GMs that think big all the time. Are you just a grinder and can't see blockbuster opportunities?

A. No, I think I can think of these things. I wouldn't necessarily characterize that as that. We have played in free agency. We have made signings in 2006. Sometimes a lot of things have to come together. The player has to want to come here. It's got to be a particular position we need help in. I don't think you go sign guys just to add depth to your team. I think you sign guys to play a role.

Q. Would you fault yourself for not thinking bigger? Being too caught up in the minutiae of your job?

A. No. It's difficult to give a self-evaluation on something like that. I don't consider that a problem, but now that you mention it I'll look into it. We have some grandiose ideas at times. A lot of people say we're not very flashy. There are a lot of things that we discuss that don't come to fruition. I have a lot of different personalities working with us. It's their job to bring ideas and thoughts and what-if this and what-if that.

Q.You've been around a room led by Ron Wolf in Green Bay and one led by Mike Holmgren in Seattle. Is the room now in Green Bay as vibrant and productive as those other two environments?

A. Yeah, I think so. There are obviously different dynamics of the room. My point to all the guys I work with is, that's their job. Let's bounce things off the wall. Let's talk about them. It doesn't necessarily mean we jump and run and do whatever it is, but we talk about those things. We have a pretty open forum. I think if you ask those guys, they'd say it was a pretty comfortable setting.

Q.Is there enough wisdom in the room?

A. You're always asking for more wisdom. I know I always do. I'm on my knees every night.

Q.You signed Koren Robinson and linebacker Rory Johnson this spring. Some GMs say they would never add players with such well-documented problems with drugs and alcohol. Isn't character as important to you as it appears to be to some others?

A. Yeah, it's very important. But you look at each person and each set of circumstances as carefully as you can. With Koren Robinson, obviously I had a history with him. I know that he's a good person. Yes, he made some mistakes. In Rory Johnson's case, he did make some mistakes in college. We have Shawn Slocum, who knows him from Ole Miss. This guy was certainly a good enough player to be drafted. We fixed it so we would not draft him. As a free agent, we feel like it gives the kid another chance. He's never harmed anyone. It's never been anything like that. As a free agent, we felt like it was less risk and see if the kid can fit in with a chance and be the kind of character guy we're looking for.

Q. You hand-picked Marquand Manuel to be the starting strong safety. Can this defense withstand another season with him in the lineup?

A. I don't think Marquand had as good a year as he would have liked. He can play better than that. We do have a lot of competition at safety. We'll see how it bears out.

Q.You defused a potential contractual problem with Al Harris and re-signed Scott Wells, Cullen Jenkins and Nick Barnett in the last nine months. Would you rather spend money there than in the free-agency market?

A. I've always felt like in free agency it's important to identify your core players and have conversations with them prior to their contracts expiring. Sometimes that works out and sometimes it doesn't. Yeah, I think it's good business for all NFL teams to concentrate on their own players. Those are the ones you know right there at that moment. Sometimes in free agency you don't know all the chinks in the armor. It's good for the locker room to let people know we will value your performance and, if you do the right things, we're going to take care of you.

Q.The re-signing that you could be criticized most for would be Bubba Franks in August 2005. Did you just miss on that one?

A. I don't know. Bubba has been a pretty good player here since before I got here. The last couple years haven't been good years for him. I look for him to have a bounce-back year. He's professional. He carries himself well. But the proof's in the pudding.

Q.Daniel Graham and Randy McMichael were some of the available tight ends. Why didn't you just go get another tight end?

A. Some of it has to do with timing and some on what we actually thought of those players in free agency.

Quite frankly, in a lot of areas we felt our young guys were as good or better than the players we could have acquired. But we'll see. We need to have some production there. It's an important position in our offense.

Q. Do you wish that fullback Vonta Leach, a player you cut last September, was still on your depth chart at what looks like a problematic position?

A. Once again, we like the guys that we've got. I thought Brandon Miree played well last year prior to his injury. These rookies we've got are going to be pretty good players.

the_idle_threat
07-29-2007, 02:06 AM
Well, it can't be said that McGinn fails to ask the hard questions.

In the course of this interview, McGinn basically second-guessed TT on almost everything, and then---down the stretch---he basically implied that TT is not a "strong, confident leader" and essentially asked him to his face if he is an idiot.

Damn. :lol:

Rastak
07-29-2007, 02:24 AM
Well, it can't be said that McGinn fails to ask the hard questions.

In the course of this interview, McGinn basically second-guessed TT on almost everything, and then---down the stretch---he basically implied that TT is not a "strong, confident leader" and essentially asked him to his face if he is an idiot.

Damn. :lol:

LOL, yea that's how I read it. Tank would love this one:

Q.Is there enough wisdom in the room?

A. You're always asking for more wisdom. I know I always do. I'm on my knees every night.

McGinn tore into him pretty good the whole interview.....Ron Wolf talked about guys, Ron Wolf wouldn't do that....etc etc.....

Bretsky
07-29-2007, 02:35 AM
For the most part most in here feel McGinn is an excellent writer. McGinn asked TT many of the hard questions many writers would avoid and just assume the kool aide train with. Here's to you Bob McGinn.. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Bretsky
07-29-2007, 02:36 AM
Q.Sometimes the mark of a strong, confident leader is being able to admit mistakes. You know better than anyone when you've erred. What were some of your major miscalculations?

A. I don't do too much looking backwards. Probably the one that sticks in my mind is we weren't able to shore together the offensive line in 2005. We didn't do a very good job of that.

I was surprised TT admitted fault for not finding OL in 2005 when he was strapped with the cap. I respect him more for owning up to this.

I do feel like he has some good young guys in place now.

HarveyWallbangers
07-29-2007, 02:37 AM
McGinn is exceptional, and I don't think it can ever be said that he's a homer. However, the tone in this article seemed excessively harsh to me. I'm not sure I've ever read a GM getting grilled this hard. I like unbiased writers, but man, I think he might have went overboard on this one. He basically kept asking him the same thing over and over--just from a different angle.

PackerBlues
07-29-2007, 04:01 AM

I was surprised TT admitted fault for not finding OL in 2005 when he was strapped with the cap. I respect him more for owning up to this.

I do feel like he has some good young guys in place now.

Well, you could say that the O-line was his biggest screw up to start his tenure. Lets face it, how important is a veteran O-line? Thompson cut costs. Great, more cap room. Not that he is going to use it. I have no respect for him at all for admitting this glaring mistake. Why not point it out himself, everyone else already has. How in the hell do you go into any season with the line he gave us in 2005, while wasting your first round pick on Aaron Rodgers? The great Ted Thompson with all of his insight about defense being so damned important. He Dismantles the O-line, then follows it up by drafting Rodgers. Brilliant!!! :worship:

Excellent questions. Excellent interview. Time and time again, Thompson managed to flap his lips without answering anything asked of him. Nice politically correct answers. Just like the people on his bandwagon, Thompson managed to get through the interview without really saying anyhing. I loved how he ducked the Bubba Franks question. Following it by admitting that he kinda sorta did maybe look for another tight end.......if only he could convince people to play in "this part of the country." Ha Ha, way to funny. This guy is done. (I hope.)
:mrgreen:

RashanGary
07-29-2007, 06:54 AM
It was a good interview. There is nothing wrong with asking tough questions. I thought Thompson did a pretty good job of not getting too defensive and just answering the questions to the best of his abilty. Fortunately for Thompson it's the football on the field and not the lower half of public perception that is his ultimate judge juror and excecutioner.

I think Thompson said it pretty well, you can't really dwell on what people say or think. We have a season coming up and that will do the talking.

gbpackfan
07-29-2007, 07:50 AM
That was a great interview. But I have to be honest with you, I don't get all "fired" up by what TT has to say. In fact, I think we can expect another 8-8 season this year. I just dont understand why he didnt improve the offense in free agency.

CaliforniaCheez
07-29-2007, 08:26 AM
I was shocked.

It is excessively rude!!

Even if you hate the guy's guts, he is the GM of the Packers. He deserves some respect for his position. You would not speak to another poster on this board that way.

McGinn assumes way too much about things he cannot prove.

It may be the last interview for McGinn that Ted gives for awhile. I think when McGinn calls Ted will be too busy.

No wonder people hate the press.

PackerBlues
07-29-2007, 08:54 AM
I was shocked.

It is excessively rude!!

You would not speak to another poster on this board that way.

heh heh....... do you read through these boards often? Mwa ha ha ha ha ha ha :cat: :duel: :butt: :taunt:

Scott Campbell
07-29-2007, 09:06 AM
This read more like an editorial than an interview.

KYPack
07-29-2007, 09:31 AM
Egads,!

What a roll job by McGinn.

You gotta respect the guy but wonder about this sanity. He's gotta go back and talk to Thompson. The next interview he has might just be a little contentious.

I also wondered about Thompson just continuing to take McGinn's crap. Ron Wolf would've blown up very early in that session. TT showed a high wiener factor by continuing to take McGinn's shit over and over.

Scott Campbell
07-29-2007, 10:18 AM
[b]Q.Is there enough wisdom in the room?

I don't have much respect for this question. I'd have ended the interiew and had the little prick escorted out of the building.

Bretsky
07-29-2007, 10:37 AM
McGinn is exceptional, and I don't think it can ever be said that he's a homer. However, the tone in this article seemed excessively harsh to me. I'm not sure I've ever read a GM getting grilled this hard. I like unbiased writers, but man, I think he might have went overboard on this one. He basically kept asking him the same thing over and over--just from a different angle.

I agree it was crude, butit's what happens when a writer who wants to be inquisitive gets nothing.

TT is McGinn's worst nightmare.

As a writer, he wants something to write about. He want something. TT gives him nothing over and over and over. Same general cliches. I bet after spending time with TT McGinn went home and wondered what the hell he learned, if anything, from that time.

Bretsky
07-29-2007, 10:40 AM
I was shocked.

It is excessively rude!!

Even if you hate the guy's guts, he is the GM of the Packers. He deserves some respect for his position. You would not speak to another poster on this board that way.

McGinn assumes way too much about things he cannot prove.

It may be the last interview for McGinn that Ted gives for awhile. I think when McGinn calls Ted will be too busy.

No wonder people hate the press.

What do you mean; Justin and I speak to each other all the way like this :lol: j/k.

Honestly, I consider it abrasive. But McGinn is looking for information and TT gives nothing.

So McGinn probes deeper, question harder, gets more of nothing, and goes home to pound his head against a wall for an hour.......and then since he has to he writers up this session.

Bretsky
07-29-2007, 10:45 AM
Egads,!

What a roll job by McGinn.

You gotta respect the guy but wonder about this sanity. He's gotta go back and talk to Thompson. The next interview he has might just be a little contentious.

I also wondered about Thompson just continuing to take McGinn's crap. Ron Wolf would've blown up very early in that session. TT showed a high wiener factor by continuing to take McGinn's shit over and over.

Wolf would have answered some of the questions and the interview would not have been nearly as negative. His interviews carried a nice line of commenting and giving his views, but not going too far.

McGinn is out to find information; I'm sure he was struggling to get any question answered. If you read this over and over he fails to get information.

As a GM, there is no right or wrong. I wish Snapper would say something, but respect those that say he should not.

But for a reporter TT is the worst nightmare for a question and answer session.

Bretsky
07-29-2007, 10:45 AM
[b]Q.Is there enough wisdom in the room?

I don't have much respect for this question. I'd have ended the interiew and had the little prick escorted out of the building.

That was bad

GBRulz
07-29-2007, 10:47 AM
Yup, I'm totally convinced that TT was a politician in a previous life. Lots of lip and is careful not to slip.

I give credit to McGinn trying to get something out of TT though. A few of his questions were rude, but as a good journalist, you want a story that doesn't contain the same info over and over again. It's probably safe to assume that we won't be hearing of any TT interviews with McGinn for a while!

Scott Campbell
07-29-2007, 10:49 AM
Yup, I'm totally convinced that TT was a politician in a previous life. Lots of lip and is careful not to slip.

I give credit to McGinn trying to get something out of TT though. A few of his questions were rude, but as a good journalist, you want a story that doesn't contain the same info over and over again. It's probably safe to assume that we won't be hearing of any TT interviews with McGinn for a while!

Maybe, but I'm not sure. Ted responded like he didn't really give a crap what McGinn asked him.

Bretsky
07-29-2007, 10:50 AM

Maybe, but I'm not sure. Ted responded like he didn't really give a crap what McGinn asked him.

To his credit, he really did accomplish that. He took most questions and said the same thing over and over. When pressed, to his credit he showed no ill will to McGinn.

MJZiggy
07-29-2007, 10:56 AM
B, you mean to tell me that this first question of his was a bit of gentle questioning before things got rough?

Q.Brett Favre will be 38 in October and is nearing the end of his legendary career. Yet, your major addition on offense was a second-round pick at running back. Why didn't you do more to provide some firepower for Favre in what might be his final season?

I actually liked that he asked some of these questions as they directly address things that have been discussed ad nauseum in here. Was he a little aggressive about it? Yes. But it seemed to me that TT really didn't care too much...

Bretsky
07-29-2007, 11:05 AM
B, you mean to tell me that this first question of his was a bit of gentle questioning before things got rough?

I actually liked that he asked some of these questions as they directly address things that have been discussed ad nauseum in here. Was he a little aggressive about it? Yes. But it seemed to me that TT really didn't care too much...

Maybe McGinn reads this stuff in here; that would be funny. But as hard as McGinn tried, he got next to nothing out of TT as to the methods to his madness. Before the interview, we knew TT preferred the draft over free agency, he would not comment about specifics from the past, and he's doing what is best for the Green Bay Packers.

TT stated he did a lousy job finding some fill ins on the OL in 2005; I"ve said that many times but I respect the guy for admitting he should have done better than Klemm and the Guards to had on the roster.

Beyond that he gave up next to nothing and that had to greatly irritate McGinn. He was interviewing a question DODGER. And a great DODGER at that.

If I was McGinn, my questions would have been nearly identical. Maybe not as brash, but I'd surely have asked why he chooses to dodge the content of most of the questions and keep using the same general phrases to repeat himself on different questions.

That may have been more mean than what McGinn actually did ?

PackerBlues
07-29-2007, 11:05 AM

And didnt you just love Thompsons answer to that question?

A. I think we try to do the best we can for the team. If our team gets better then that's better for Brett. We're trying to do the best we can. In the draft, the board works a certain way and that's the way we pick guys.

So, to point out why he didnt do shit to improve our offense, he replies that his draft board works a certain way......... notice that he says nothing about free agents he could have picked up. Shocking :shock: But dont fret, he is doing the best that he can.

RashanGary
07-29-2007, 11:21 AM
Speaking of Thompson, I saw Thompson on his bike again today. I said hi and I was going to stop him to tell him thanks for what he does, but he was peddling fast and it felt uncomfortable to stop him. After tonights practice I'm going to stop him and I have a few quick things that I am going to say.

I'm gonna say: Hey Ted, do you have a couple seconds?

When he stops, I'm going to say: "I know you're busy so I'm just going to say a few quick things. First, I want to thank you for finding real answers to the problems on this football team, that hasn't always been the case. Second, I think your views on value in the draft, free agency and all of the NFL markets are forward thinking and over time, I think it is going to be an edge that sets you appart from other GM's accross the league. Finially, I just want to tell you that a lot of people beleive in you and we want you to stay strong and do what you know is right despite what an overzealous reporter and a bunch of fans who don't understand the context surrounding the decisions you make, nor the depth of your job. OK, that's all. I'm a huge fan of the way you do your job and just want you to know that. Don't let fan pressure get to you. Thanks. "

PackerBlues
07-29-2007, 11:25 AM
Speaking of Thompson, I saw Thompson on his bike again today. I said hi and I was going to stop him to tell him thanks for what he does, but he was peddling fast and it felt uncomfortable to stop him. After tonights practice I'm going to stop him and I have a few quick things that I am going to say.

When he stops, I'm going to say: "I know you're busy so I'm just going to say a few quick things. First, I want to thank you for finding real answers to the problems on this football team, that hasn't always been the case. Second, I think your views on value in the draft, free agency and all of the NFL markets are forward thinking and over time, I think it is going to be an edge that sets you appart from other GM's accross the league. Finially, I just want to tell you that a lot of people beleive in you and we want you to stay strong and do what you know is right despite what an overzealous reporter and a bunch of fans who don't understand the context surrounding the decisions you make, nor the depth of your job. OK, that's all. I'm a huge fan of the way you do your job and just want you to know that. Don't let fan pressure get to you. Thanks. "

Eeewwwwww! ya know you could go blind doing that. :bs: :bs: :bs:

but thanks for sharing your fantasies with us.

RashanGary
07-29-2007, 11:29 AM
I'm going to help my mom move. I thought you'd appreciate that, PB :)

PackerBlues
07-29-2007, 11:31 AM
:glug: JH

HarveyWallbangers
07-29-2007, 11:31 AM
Speaking of Thompson, I saw Thompson on his bike again today. I said hi and I was going to stop him to tell him thanks for what he does, but he was peddling fast and it felt uncomfortable to stop him.

Ted Thompson's one and only groupie.

Bretsky
07-29-2007, 11:45 AM
Speaking of Thompson, I saw Thompson on his bike again today. I said hi and I was going to stop him to tell him thanks for what he does, but he was peddling fast and it felt uncomfortable to stop him.

Ted Thompson's one and only groupie.

:lol: :lol: Good One Harv

Scott Campbell
07-29-2007, 11:48 AM

Nick, I'm sure Ted will admire your enthusiasm. Just don't go getting slapped with a restraining order. You've got camp reports to write.

:D

Bretsky
07-29-2007, 11:58 AM

I admire your enthusiasm

If I could say the exact same thing to.......Ron Wolf.... back in the days......that's what I'd say

PackerBlues
07-29-2007, 12:06 PM
Just as long as all of this enthusiasm does not spring from that Wisdom question.......Where Thompson talks about gettin on his knees every night. :shock: :whaa: :whist:

Scott Campbell
07-29-2007, 12:26 PM
..........Where Thompson talks about gettin on his knees every night. :shock: :whaa: :whist:

I think he was talking about praying, as opposed to your reason.

MJZiggy
07-29-2007, 12:27 PM
..........Where Thompson talks about gettin on his knees every night. :shock: :whaa: :whist:

yet I knew it was only a matter of time...

PackerBlues
07-29-2007, 12:31 PM

Yeah, sorry, I guess it was kind of a low blow. :rs:

Rastak
07-29-2007, 12:46 PM

Hey what am I? Chopped liver? I mentioned that in the very first reply. If only Tank were here he would have had a field day.

MJZiggy
07-29-2007, 12:56 PM

Hey what am I? Chopped liver? I mentioned that in the very first reply. If only Tank were here he would have had a field day.

Yes, dear, you did, but you didn't take the shot yourself, it was just a bit of suggestion as to the possible impressions of the former court jester. (and I think I'll leave the chopped liver gimp reference alone)

Rastak
07-29-2007, 01:16 PM

Yes, dear, you did, but you didn't take the shot yourself, it was just a bit of suggestion as to the possible impressions of the former court jester. (and I think I'll leave the chopped liver gimp reference alone)

I do miss the former court jester...he was harmless and pretty funny at times.

b bulldog
07-29-2007, 02:22 PM
The interview reminded me of Rush Limbaugh interviewing Hillary Clinton but that would never happen.

retailguy
07-29-2007, 05:11 PM

Wonder if you'd say that if you had to continually delete the ficticious user names he created, or make sure to read every post he wrote to ensure he wasn't starting trouble, or look up each IP address to see if he was "talking" to himself in a thread with multiple users names to try to start shit with someone else? Harmless? Nope.

I'm glad the little punk is history.

Packnut
07-29-2007, 05:23 PM
I really don't understand the opinion that a GM should be treated with some kind of kid's gloves. They should have to face the heat and I don't just mean Teddy. The job in GB is different cause every other GM has an owner to answer to. Harlan admits to being hands off so should'nt Teddy get grilled by someone? :roll:

retailguy
07-29-2007, 05:25 PM
I really don't understand the opinion that a GM should be treated with some kind of kid's gloves. They should have to face the heat and I don't just mean Teddy. The job in GB is different cause every other GM has an owner to answer to. Harlan admits to being hands off so should'nt Teddy get grilled by someone? :roll:

You seem to have forgotten that the fans have no right to complain. If he has the support of management that should be good enough for us. :roll:

Packnut
07-29-2007, 05:46 PM

You seem to have forgotten that the fans have no right to complain. If he has the support of management that should be good enough for us. :roll:

Yeah, I know us fans know nothing. :roll: Then again, we know we have shit for TE's which puts us one step up on Mr Thompson.......

retailguy
07-29-2007, 05:54 PM
Yeah, I know us fans know nothing. :roll: Then again, we know we have shit for TE's which puts us one step up on Mr Thompson.......

Just remember, from the immortal words of our leader "We're going to win SOME games".

Don't despair, it's ONLY July...

bbbffl66
07-29-2007, 08:16 PM

How about an exit interview? :x

woodbuck27
07-29-2007, 08:55 PM
It was a good interview. There is nothing wrong with asking tough questions. I thought Thompson did a pretty good job of not getting too defensive and just answering the questions to the best of his abilty. Fortunately for Thompson it's the football on the field and not the lower half of public perception that is his ultimate judge juror and excecutioner.

I think Thompson said it pretty well, you can't really dwell on what people say or think. We have a season coming up and that will do the talking.

Yes it will.

Joemailman
07-29-2007, 09:33 PM
It was a tough interview, but except for the "wisdom" question, I thought the questions were fair. I actually thought TT came across pretty good in the interview. He didn't get real defensive, and didn't appear thin-skinned at all. I think he has a lot of confidence that his plan his working, and figures he'll be justified in the near future.

Rastak
07-29-2007, 09:57 PM

Wonder if you'd say that if you had to continually delete the ficticious user names he created, or make sure to read every post he wrote to ensure he wasn't starting trouble, or look up each IP address to see if he was "talking" to himself in a thread with multiple users names to try to start shit with someone else? Harmless? Nope.

I'm glad the little punk is history.

Hell, I caught him in at least two. I stand by my statement.

The Leaper
07-30-2007, 08:34 AM
I've never been overly impressed by McGinn. To me, he comes across as a guy who always thought he should be the one running a football team...when he doesn't have either the qualifications or know-how to actually do it.

I thought it was an extremely poor interview. McGinn harrassed the GM of the Packers, and really did not get much information out of him...which is what I thought the point of an interview was. He missed several glaring questions that I'm still wanting to know the answer to. Also, where was McGinn questioning Sherman when he made bonehead decisions as a GM...of which there were ANY NUMBER to choose from?

I'm sorry. McGinn is a joke as a reporter. Anyone who thinks he is any good should try reading interviews from REAL journalists.

wist43
07-30-2007, 09:18 AM
TT just tap dances all over the place...

One of the comments by McGinn that stood out to me was when he called TT a "grinder"... that's kind of how I view TT. Staying the course, even to his and the teams detriment.

As I've said, I view TT as a good talent evaluator, but I'm very skeptical that his overall approach can get us back to the SB.

Packnut
07-30-2007, 09:30 AM
TT just tap dances all over the place...

One of the comments by McGinn that stood out to me was when he called TT a "grinder"... that's kind of how I view TT. Staying to course, even to his, and the teams, detriment.

As I've said, I view TT as a good talent evaluator, but I'm very skeptical that his overall approach can get us back to the SB.

Not using FA to it's utmost advantage already has him one step behind almost everyone else. Injuries are starting early so once again he'll look for cheap un-talented replacements just to fill roster spots. His actions or non-actions with the TE spot are criminal to say the least.

Yet his backers will tell you Alcorn will come out of no where or Bubba will learn how to catch again. Nothing but fairy tale BS for people who have no grasp of reality.

I agree with you he is an above average drafter, but that is'nt enough in today's NFL. When you look at teams with winning records, 99.9% of them have at least an average TE. Hell even Clark was better last season than anything we had. So we have a QB who can use a TE better than most but no TE for him to throw to. PATHETIC!

Cheesehead Craig
07-30-2007, 09:45 AM
Tough interview. I have to give TT credit that he did not lose his cool which is what McGinn was obviously trying to do.

swede
07-30-2007, 09:51 AM
Q.What do you count as the successes at the halfway point of your five-year appointment?

A. I think we've done a pretty good job building up the core of the team. I think when you have playoff runs like the Packers have had over a number of years you don't have maybe the normal turnover in a roster. You wind up getting a little top-heavy in terms of age. I'm not one of those people who tries to get young for the sake of getting young. It's just that it makes for a more healthy organism, really, if in fact you have a good mixture of veterans and youth. I think we've added competition. We haven't won enough games, and that's my responsibility.

I do think McGinn was being a prick, knowing that TT would either politely say little, which he usually does, or blow up in a temper, which wasn't likel;y to happen but would have made a great headline. McGinn is a member of the media. It is his right to be an obnoxious prick. TT represents the Green Bay Packers. It is his obligation to be a gentleman. BTW TT does not "tap dance" --he answers every question directly.

I liked TT's answer to the above question because it shows that his plan is to get better incrementally with an overall awareness of team age, contract issues, lockerroom chemistry, and improving every position while keeping the other issues in mind.

Fritz
07-30-2007, 10:13 AM
I find it interesting that part of what people dont like abou
TT is his style. Becasue he does not say a whole lot or is not flashy, peopoe do not seem to like him. We wwil see how the team plays this year.

wist43
07-30-2007, 10:21 AM
McGinn isn't an "ambush journalist"... he asks the tough question more junior or cowardly media won't.

If you want to read puff piece after puff piece - don't read McGinn. He'll give you the unvarnished truth. I disagree with him from time to time, but the guy has great sources in the business, and isn't afraid to tell it like it is.

A lot of those questions he put to TT were the very questions we bandy around in here, but rarely if ever see in the columns of the beat writers.

I trust McGinn more than I do TT.

Zool
07-30-2007, 10:42 AM
McGinn isn't an "ambush journalist"... he asks the tough question more junior or cowardly media won't.

If you want to read puff piece after puff piece - don't read McGinn. He'll give you the unvarnished truth. I disagree with him from time to time, but the guy has great sources in the business, and isn't afraid to tell it like it is.

A lot of those questions he put to TT were the very questions we bandy around in here, but rarely if ever see in the columns of the beat writers.

I trust McGinn more than I do TT.

I agree to a point that he asks legit questions, but the whole thing seemed like he was pushing an agenda. Like McGinn is showing what a bad-ass journalist he can be and I ended up having a lot less respect for him, probably because this kind of journalism is laughable. You can ask tough questions without being an ass-hat.

The Leaper
07-30-2007, 11:24 AM

So where was it with Sherman, Wist? I can't recall ANY tough questions being asked of Sherman...who made more questionable moves than Thompson has overall IMO.

McGinn is a patsy...unless the mob is crying for someone to be hung, he simply mumbles under his breath taking rogue pot shots while collecting a paycheck.

Not really. I saw nothing in the interview about Jones, who I think is a pretty large piece of the offseason puzzle. Other GMs won't sign character risks? Funny, I see an awful lot of teams with character issues somewhere on the roster.

What I did see were a bunch of retarded questions that were practically rhetorical. We KNOW the answers to most of these questions. YES, Bubba's contract was too big. YES, Thompson goofed by not doing more to save an elite OL in his first year. YES, the RB position is shaky...what do you expect when you've had the same 2 backs in the lineup for 6 years and they finally move on? The fact that McGinn is trying to get Thompson to admit the answers isn't hard-hitting or insightful journalism. This entire interview was like Tom Brokaw spending 20 minutes asking George Bush if he struggles with public speaking and whether or not he is able to accept constructive criticism well. Pointless.

McGinn may not be an "ambush journalist"...but this was an ambush interview that accomplished little other than making McGinn's job a hell of a lot tougher for himself. It is one thing to not be a homer. It is another to make an ass out of yourself. McGinn did the latter.

wist43
07-30-2007, 11:41 AM

So where was it with Sherman, Wist? I can't recall ANY tough questions being asked of Sherman...who made more questionable moves than Thompson has overall IMO.

McGinn is a patsy...unless the mob is crying for someone to be hung, he simply mumbles under his breath taking rogue pot shots while collecting a paycheck.

Not really. I saw nothing in the interview about Jones, who I think is a pretty large piece of the offseason puzzle. Other GMs won't sign character risks? Funny, I see an awful lot of teams with character issues somewhere on the roster.

What I did see were a bunch of retarded questions that were practically rhetorical. We KNOW the answers to most of these questions. YES, Bubba's contract was too big. YES, Thompson goofed by not doing more to save an elite OL in his first year. YES, the RB position is shaky...what do you expect when you've had the same 2 backs in the lineup for 6 years and they finally move on? The fact that McGinn is trying to get Thompson to admit the answers isn't hard-hitting or insightful journalism. This entire interview was like Tom Brokaw spending 20 minutes asking George Bush if he struggles with public speaking and whether or not he is able to accept constructive criticism well. Pointless.

McGinn may not be an "ambush journalist"...but this was an ambush interview that accomplished little other than making McGinn's job a hell of a lot tougher for himself. It is one thing to not be a homer. It is another to make an ass out of yourself. McGinn did the latter.

Since when do we talk incessantly about John Jones??? And why McGinn ask TT about Jones??? Jones is Harlan's responsibility, and TT has little or nothing to do with it.

As for your contention that McGinn didn't go after Sherman - that's a load of crap. When the Packers were 10-6 I saw them as a 6-10 team, or worse... so did McGinn. He wrote some scathing articles about Sherman and his moves.

McGinn knows football... he's easily the best Packers beat writer. Some may not like him, but he's definitely respected. How many other writers talk about a DB's backpedal, or how a WR sets up a DB and gets into and out of his breaks, or how a DT is better suited as a two-gap vs. a 3 technique, et al...

I'll McGinn over the other yahoo's out there any day.

Packnut
07-30-2007, 11:49 AM
How is it "ambush journalism" to point out we SUCK at TE? I mean c'mon, I'm fine with the kool-aid drinking crap but anyone who thinks this group of TE's is going to give us the production you need in a WC offense is pretty much brain dead.

That's the main point some of you won't deal with. We run a WC offense and like it or not, the TE is IMPORTANT to the over-all production.

As far as the RB questions go, wake up! EVERY freakin journalist/analyst/former players question what Thompson has done. The ONLY people who believe we're ok at RB are the Thompson supporters. Again, how is asking Teddy questions about that mean spirited?

It's fine and dandy to support Ted and believe in what he's doing. It's another altogether to be completely blind and oblivious to very real and potential problems that this team that we all love may have.

The Leaper
07-30-2007, 12:04 PM
Since when do we talk incessantly about John Jones??? And why McGinn ask TT about Jones??? Jones is Harlan's responsibility, and TT has little or nothing to do with it.

Not John Jones...James Jones.

As for your contention that McGinn didn't go after Sherman - that's a load of crap. When the Packers were 10-6 I saw them as a 6-10 team, or worse... so did McGinn. He wrote some scathing articles about Sherman and his moves.

I don't recall him discussing the potential "lack of wisdom" in Sherman's braintrust. Face it Wist, McGinn went off the deep end here. He certainly made his share of "tongue-in-cheek" commentary during Sherman's tenure...but he never went after his throat like he did here with Thompson.

Despite the holes on this team, the depth and growth is going to become evident during this season and the next. There are far too many young players who could easily develop into something we aren't expecting. I think it is way too early to start making over-the-top judgment calls like McGinn is here. Has Thompson made some questionable moves? Yes. However the team IS improving, although how much is yet to be seen.

McGinn knows football... he's easily the best Packers beat writer.

Sure he is...not tough to do considering his competition. I'm not questioning McGinn's football knowledge. He does have a good understanding there. The problem is that is a pathetic journalist. Perhaps he should stick to reviewing what happens on the field, because he made little sense in this article...even when I know what he is trying to get at.

For instance, he kicks TT in the nuts for not making "bold moves" and going after Moss, who is a known character risk because of attitude. Then he chides Thompson for signing character risks who have drug/alcohol problems. So why is one character risk OK, and the other one not?

Then, he notes that Thompson's free agency moves last year were basically what helped pull the defense together. Then he basically pounds Thompson over the head repeatedly regarding whether or not he can make a bold decision. Hello, McFly...you just admitted he did as much last year!

Sorry. McGinn made little sense, and fewer friends, in this interview.

Merlin
07-30-2007, 12:08 PM
Anyone catch how 3T went from using "I" to "We" whenever a tough question was asked or it was something he didn't want to talk about? This just displays the ego this guy has. His overall "we like the guys we have" attitude are direct contradictions of these statements "Well, we would like to win this season", "Why I suppose then you'd move on", "Depends on if some other team is looking to do something", "There's still a lot of unknowns".

Basically, he won't go out on a limb or take any responsibility for his ineptness. I know there are a lot of 3T supporters here. The only question I have for you:

Do you really support a guy who is so sure he's doing the job right but unsure about winning, whether players will work out and bases signing a player off of what another team does?

Let's get real here folks, 3T is a joke.

The Leaper
07-30-2007, 12:22 PM
Basically, he won't go out on a limb or take any responsibility for his ineptness.

Signing Charles Woodson was inept?

Drafting Hawk, Jennings, Colledge, Collins, Harrell is inept?

Sure, Thompson has made errors. Thinking he could easily replace Wahle and Rivera was a major blunder...and Thompson quickly addressed that the next year by drafting 3 promising OL players.

I'm not too scared about our RBs. None of the FAs thrown about as a potential replacement really excited me...and the OL will mean more to the run game's success than who our RB is.

TE is a disaster...Thompson should be held accountable for that. However, we haven't had a good WCO TE since Holmgren left. Bubba has never been a threat between the 20s.

What do you want? Thompson to come out like Favre every year and say we are going to win it all? Do you simply like having someone to pat your rear end and tell you everything is going to be alright?

I think Thompson is being honest when he says "we'll see"...he is hoping the gained experience from the 2nd and 3rd year guys starts paying off, but what evidence do you have of that before camp even starts? It is likely that some players will take a step forward...but it is anyone's guess who that will be right now. Besides, player development ISN'T THOMPSON JOB...McCarthy is the one who oversees how these players develop.

wist43
07-30-2007, 01:18 PM
I think one of things about TT that frustrates fans so much is that he really doesn't set out to solve problems, i.e. needs.

My idea of a "bold" move would have been to swing a deal for Michael Turner - RB problem solved; or, at least a much better chance of being solved than going with the, "throw a dart (or 5 darts) at the wall, and hope one sticks" approach.

If Jackson, Morency, Wynn, or Pope doesn't turn out to be "the guy", then TT not only wasted those picks, he wasted time - another hole that goes another year w/o getting fixed. Add to that, the fact that other holes will soon be cropping up due to age, FA, retirement, etc.

By the time he solves the RB problem, he'll spring a major leak at CB, or OT, or DT, or where ever etc... at some point, all of the problems have to be solved at the same time in order to make a run.

The NFL is basically a 4-5 year cycle league... TT's cycle is more like 8-10 years. That's bound to draw some fire.

PackerBlues
07-30-2007, 01:54 PM
An ambush? Give me a break. So Thompson was finally asked questions that many of us would like the answer to. Good! While so many of you talk about giving Thompson a "fair chance" to improve this team, he is over half way done with his five year contract. In that time, this team is 12-20. Pretty easy for Thompson supporters to claim that the team will get better this year...... it certainly couldnt get much worse.

As for those of you whining because you dont think that McGinn ever asked Sherman tough questions in such a manner........ Sherman put together winning teams and he was humble about it. There was no need to ask him questions such as the ones asked of Thompson. Thompson hasnt done shit, and yet his ego suggests that he has accomplished something. As a matter of fact, it would be much to nice to simply suggest that Thompson has not done shit, when in fact, he has taken a winning organization and turned it into what we have today, and anyone who would suggest that where we are now is ok, has a freakin screw loose!

Keep bragging about how Thompson got us Hawk, Jennings, and Harrell. It only took 20 embarrasing loses to get us those great pick ups. This is the season to see improvement, and if not....... nobody wants to hear about how much better Thompson is going to make this team in the future. That crap is over. Time for results.

The Leaper
07-30-2007, 01:57 PM
I think one of things about TT that frustrates fans so much is that he really doesn't set out to solve problems, i.e. needs.

My idea of a "bold" move would have been to swing a deal for Michael Turner - RB problem solved; or, at least a much better chance of being solved than going with the, "throw a dart (or 5 darts) at the wall, and hope one sticks" approach.

I agree with you on that...although he did do quite a bit last offseason. That is what frustrates me. Perhaps he is trying to wait out teams until cap space starts getting tight again?

Defensively, this team is set up well for the future. The only real concern in the next 5 years is the eventual decline of the CBs. To me, Thompson is a genius in terms of evaluating defensive talent for the most part...which is why I think Harrell may be a real steal.

Offensively, there is a lot to fix. In some ways, Favre IS holding us back. If you fix things toward Favre's strengths now...it may not be what you need for whoever replaces him in the near future. IMO, Thompson doesn't have much of a clue on the offensive side of the ball. That is where you see his hesitation and mistakes. He did find Jennings, and did OK on the OL picks last year...but he hasn't found a TE, WR depth is pathetic, and he screwed up very early with the OL vets.

However, there is a lot of youth there too. Jennings, Jones, Jackson, Morency, Colledge, Spitz, Wells, Moll, Miree...all those guys are likely to be key contributors going forward, and all have very little experience. You can't simply keep throwing soon-to-be washed up vets at the problems created by inexperience.

My point is that I don't feel Thompson has been nearly as bad as McGinn's interview would seem to indicate. The team is improving...just not as fast as some might want it to. Let's not kid ourselves...it isn't easy to turn things around overnight. Ron Wolf needed 4-5 years to build the team...and that was with getting the extreme benefit of adding two of the best players in NFL history years to his team during that timeframe.

Year one was a disaster for Thompson. Year two was a modest success.

We are just starting year three. For McGinn to go off the deep end and start criticizing the "wisdom" of Thompson's team is ludicrous IMO. I'm willing to give Thompson's roster a chance this year. Personally, I'm not that upset about most spots outside of TE and WR. I wish those positions had far more proven talent, but so be it.

In the end, it will be the OL that will decide Thompson's fate. If they succeed, they can cover a lot of other talent poor areas by giving Favre time to work. Considering we had 3 rookies starting last year in a system pretty much new to all of them, I expected the disaster we witnessed. There is no reason to feel things won't take a sizeable step forward in 2007 with added experience in both the league and the system.

The Leaper
07-30-2007, 02:03 PM
As for those of you whining because you dont think that McGinn ever asked Sherman tough questions in such a manner........ Sherman put together winning teams and he was humble about it.

Sherman was handed winning teams by the Vikings every year. The NFC North in Sherman's tenure was quite possibly the weakest division the NFL has ever seen. Just having Favre on the roster was good enough to practically guarantee the division...and Sherman still needed other teams to hand it to him most of the time.

There was no need to ask him questions such as the ones asked of Thompson.

So throwing away draft picks to acquire guys like Sander, Peterson, Truluck, etc. isn't worthy of being questioned?

Handing out ridiculous, cap-destroying contracts to guys like KGB and Hunt isn't worthy of being questioned?

Sorry...Sherman was much more a failure as GM than Thompson is. The rest of the NFL clearly acknowledges it...because despite numerous openings for GM and head coaching positions in the last 2 years, Shermy is still an assistant in Houston.

PackerBlues
07-30-2007, 02:19 PM
Sherman was handed winning teams by the Vikings every year. The NFC North in Sherman's tenure was quite possibly the weakest division the NFL has ever seen. Just having Favre on the roster was good enough to practically guarantee the division...and Sherman still needed other teams to hand it to him most of the time.

Where is my #1 favorite fact checker "SC" at when there is some real BS being unloaded? This is all speculation and warped opinion.

So throwing away draft picks to acquire guys like Sander, Peterson, Truluck, etc. isn't worthy of being questioned?

To be fair, our team didnt have the holes in it that it does now, thanks in huge part to Thompsons mismanagement of the team. If you want to cry about wasted draft picks, think about Aaron Rodgers, if that wasnt a wasted pick, then what in the hell would qualify?

Handing out ridiculous, cap-destroying contracts to guys like KGB and Hunt isn't worthy of being questioned? Sure it should have been questioned....... maybe since Sherman was producing winning records, it didnt seem as important. Perhaps someday Teddy will have one of those......you know......a winning record. Ha Ha Ha

Sorry...Sherman was much more a failure as GM than Thompson is. The rest of the NFL clearly acknowledges it...because despite numerous openings for GM and head coaching positions in the last 2 years, Shermy is still an assistant in Houston.

LOL, way to funny. I will tell you whats clear, its clear that Thompsons teams are 12-20 over his first two years. Clearly, he has a long way to go before he ever fills Shermans Shoes. :crazy: :taunt:

Zool
07-30-2007, 02:22 PM

Where is my #1 favorite fact checker "SC" at when there is some real BS being unloaded? This is all speculation and warped opinion.

To be fair, our team didnt have the holes in it that it does now, thanks in huge part to Thompsons mismanagement of the team. If you want to cry about wasted draft picks, think about Aaron Rodgers, if that wasnt a wasted pick, then what in the hell would qualify?

Handing out ridiculous, cap-destroying contracts to guys like KGB and Hunt isn't worthy of being questioned? Sure it should have been questioned....... maybe since Sherman was producing winning records, it didnt seem as important. Perhaps someday Teddy will have one of those......you know......a winning record. Ha Ha Ha

LOL, way to funny. I will tell you whats clear, its clear that Thompsons teams are 12-20 over his first two years. Clearly, he has a long way to go before he ever fills Shermans Shoes. :crazy: :taunt:I've never seen pear shaped shoes.

PackerBlues
07-30-2007, 02:39 PM
In the end, it will be the OL that will decide Thompson's fate. If they succeed, they can cover a lot of other talent poor areas by giving Favre time to work. Considering we had 3 rookies starting last year in a system pretty much new to all of them, I expected the disaster we witnessed. There is no reason to feel things won't take a sizeable step forward in 2007 with added experience in both the league and the system.

No, the O-line will be part of what decides Thompsons fate. Here are a few other things to take into consideration.

Teddy really started his tenure off incredibly full of himself. Dismantling the O-line and filling the holes with his rookie picks wasnt nearly enough. He also traded off Javon Walker. Maybe Ted just didnt like to see evidence that Sherman could pick better talent than him in the draft. Irregardless, Thompson has not replaced that talent yet. Jennings is good, but he is nowhere near the threat that Walker was. It was so easy for Teddy to get rid of Walker, you would think that the way so many people worship Teddy, and his awesome ability to find talent......that he would have been able to replace Walker by now.

Something that many of you are not going to take serious, but should be considered. The Texans have picked up quite a few of Teds "cast offs". Considering how questionable our running game is, going into the season, if by some chance, Shermans running game in Texas ends up looking better than ours in GB..........then :shtf:

Another team to watch that may help decide Shermans fate, will be the Patriots. Guess what happens if we continue to have problems scoring in the red zone, AND Randy Moss ends up having a break out year......again, :shtf:

Packnut
07-30-2007, 03:01 PM
For the life of me, I just can't fathom how Teddy's plan up to date sparks confidence in even his most blind followers. I mean he's having a difficult time just getting together a play-off team. No one in their right mind can really think we're anywhere near a SB team.

No TE, no proven #2 or #3 WR. (please save me the Jennings comments. Yes more tha likely he will be a good #2, but let's see a COMPLETE season before just assuming). DD has may-be 2 great seasons left and then we have no #1 WR. I believe Jones will turn out to be a very good #3 but that is just my opinion and again, he need's to show us.

We have a defense that I believe will be very good. However by the time Teddy does get some kind of offense going, we lose our CB tandem and now you have more holes to fill.

This slow methodical turtle like approach will NEVER NEVER work in today's NFL. It's imperative to use FA EACH and EVERY year to plug holes and aquire depth.

He did a FANTASTIC job with Woodson. What I find funny there is that most here who have a low opinion of FA thought Woodson cost to much. Boy, that opinion could'nt have been more WRONG and you guys know who I speak off. If you look back I have never really criticized the Manuel signing. Hell, he took a shot and missed, at least he tried.

I hope and pray more reporters and fans turn the heat up. Teddy need's to realize this approach while sound and solid years ago is out-dated in today's quick turn around NFL. If you need 6-7 years to build a winner, then IMO you've failed................

The Leaper
07-30-2007, 03:05 PM
This is all speculation and warped opinion.

Is Sherman's playoff record speculation?

To be fair, our team didnt have the holes in it that it does now

So that is a reason to throw away draft picks foolishly on huge gambles?

Zool
07-30-2007, 03:06 PM
Does the team have the hole now because of the wasted picks?

cheesner
07-30-2007, 03:08 PM
An ambush? Give me a break. So Thompson was finally asked questions that many of us would like the answer to. Good! While so many of you talk about giving Thompson a "fair chance" to improve this team, he is over half way done with his five year contract. In that time, this team is 12-20. Pretty easy for Thompson supporters to claim that the team will get better this year...... it certainly couldnt get much worse.

As for those of you whining because you dont think that McGinn ever asked Sherman tough questions in such a manner........ Sherman put together winning teams and he was humble about it. There was no need to ask him questions such as the ones asked of Thompson. Thompson hasnt done shit, and yet his ego suggests that he has accomplished something. As a matter of fact, it would be much to nice to simply suggest that Thompson has not done shit, when in fact, he has taken a winning organization and turned it into what we have today, and anyone who would suggest that where we are now is ok, has a freakin screw loose!

Keep bragging about how Thompson got us Hawk, Jennings, and Harrell. It only took 20 embarrasing loses to get us those great pick ups. This is the season to see improvement, and if not....... nobody wants to hear about how much better Thompson is going to make this team in the future. That crap is over. Time for results.
I wouldn't call it 'ambush' journalism, I do have trouble calling it journalism however. McGinn obviously had an agenda and an opinion. Good journalism is unbiased and clearly reported information, allowing the reader to understand the facts and form opinions. This interview was a bunch of crap. His condescension towards TT was blatant and very unprofessional. Hard questions are great, I am all for them, but it isn't the 'hard' questions that makes this McGinn piece a amateurish journalistic effort.

Merlin
07-30-2007, 03:16 PM
Basically, he won't go out on a limb or take any responsibility for his ineptness.

Signing Charles Woodson was inept?

Drafting Hawk, Jennings, Colledge, Collins, Harrell is inept?

Sure, Thompson has made errors. Thinking he could easily replace Wahle and Rivera was a major blunder...and Thompson quickly addressed that the next year by drafting 3 promising OL players.

I'm not too scared about our RBs. None of the FAs thrown about as a potential replacement really excited me...and the OL will mean more to the run game's success than who our RB is.

TE is a disaster...Thompson should be held accountable for that. However, we haven't had a good WCO TE since Holmgren left. Bubba has never been a threat between the 20s.

What do you want? Thompson to come out like Favre every year and say we are going to win it all? Do you simply like having someone to pat your rear end and tell you everything is going to be alright?

I think Thompson is being honest when he says "we'll see"...he is hoping the gained experience from the 2nd and 3rd year guys starts paying off, but what evidence do you have of that before camp even starts? It is likely that some players will take a step forward...but it is anyone's guess who that will be right now. Besides, player development ISN'T THOMPSON JOB...McCarthy is the one who oversees how these players develop.

We don't need someone who attains talent based on a "we'll see" attitude. The only thing he is confident in is his ego. Outside of that, he doesn't have a clue. Two draft choices have made an immediate impact for the Packers: Hawk and Collins. Jennings was out with an injury and although he started on fire, he didn't look all that great in the end. Maybe he will be very good, maybe not "we'll see". Otherwise, Colledge and Harrell? Sure, Colledge is better then the veterans he brought in 2005, but he is far from being a star right now. Harrell hasn't even played a down and has a long history of injuries. Nothing like jumping on the bandwagon of "we'll see". Siging Charles Woodson was not inept but it wasn't a great move at the time given his past few seasons of mediocrity. Think abou when the decision are made, Woodson could have been a huge flop. 3T got lucky, he didn't know one way or the other "we'll see". Marquand Manual? 3T has a woody for him and he is still defending a guy who is nothing more than a serviceable backup.

If you can't see the guy has a problem taking blame, being a leader and acting responsible, even after the interview, then there is no hope for you. Maybe there is "we'll see"...

PackerBlues
07-30-2007, 03:18 PM
Is Sherman's playoff record speculation?

Ha Ha Ha, stop it man, I have not laughed this hard in a loooonnnnggg time. Your killing me. The answer is no, Sherman's playoff record is not speculation....... he did in fact go to the playoffs....... many many times. What year do you expect Lord TT to get to the playoffs? 2010? 2012? not anytime soon I am sure.

So that is a reason to throw away draft picks foolishly on huge gambles? Heh heh......still laughing.....please stop.......cant take much more. Where did Sherman usually end up picking? It is so damned funny hearing people talk about how awesome Teddy is in the draft, knowing that his picks are so much easier due to his position in the draft. 12-20 gets you great position in the draft.
Again, if Aaron Rogers was not a waste of a #1 pick, then what in the hell would qualify?

Zool
07-30-2007, 03:20 PM
Again, if Aaron Rogers was not a waste of a #1 pick, then what in the hell would qualify?
Jamal Reynolds

See: Ahmad Carroll.

Lurker64
07-30-2007, 03:31 PM
This slow methodical turtle like approach will NEVER NEVER work in today's NFL. It's imperative to use FA EACH and EVERY year to plug holes and aquire depth.

Isn't Thompson's approach basically essentially what (prior to this offseason), the Patriots used to build their dynasty? Prior to this last year, the Patriots were rarely active in free Agency especially where the big contracts were involved, holes were regularly plugged through the draft, and big name malcontents were quickly replaced by draft picks or no-name free agents. If you go look at their roster and the "how-acquired" column, short of the notable acquisitions this off-season, the overwhelming majority of the major contributing players on the Pats were drafted.

Admittedly, McCarthy is probably no Bellichik, but saying categorically that a "FA light, build through the draft" approach can't work in today's NFL is silly. The last NFL dynasty was built that way.

swede
07-30-2007, 03:41 PM
2-4 was Mike Sherman's playoff record.

I'm wondering if some of you guys play a little too much John Madden with the cheat codes enabled the way some of you are ripping on TT for not being having AWESOME tight ends and AWESOME runningbacks and an AWESOME offensive line and AWESOME linebackers and AWESOME wide receivers and AWESOME defensive backs. Trade Bubba Smith for Antonio Gates in GM mode and there you go!

What do you want TT to say? "We suck at tight end. You got me there Mr. McGinn. Golly, you sure do know your football. I don't know what the hell I was thinking, I had the cash to buy some average free agents at that position and I just fricking didn't do it. Maybe you could write down how I'm real sorry about how useless some of my players are. I know that won't go over well in my lockerroom but at least I'll know I've been honest with the fans that know so much about each and every one of these guys and whether or not they have the potential to grow into contributing roles on pur team. By the way, I don't know when I've ever been interviewed by such a relentlessly tough seeker of the truth."

PackerBlues
07-30-2007, 03:47 PM
Jamal Reynolds

See: Ahmad Carroll.

In all fairness, lets not forget that Jamal "to small" Reynolds was Ron Wolf's last first round pick, not Shermans. I would say that at least Ahmad Caroll actually played, but.............

(I was thinking that Jamal was Shermans pick also, but according to Wikpedia, it was Wolf that picked him in 2001. However Wolf turned over the GM role to Sherman in Febuary of 2001. I know Wolf stayed on for a while as a consultant of sorts......so does anyone know for sure who gets the blame for Reynolds?)

woodbuck27
07-30-2007, 04:02 PM
Tough interview. I have to give TT credit that he did not lose his cool which is what McGinn was obviously trying to do.

I read it yesterday a couple of times and then took the last 24 Hrs. to reflect on it.

I must say that I felt bad for Ole Ted. That was a brutal interview and I've never seen another designed to probe a GM in sports just as that was. McGinn never gave Ted Thompson much of a break; but the man is not just cool but cold as ice. We have seen that since he arrived.

He certainly has to be given credit for not melting down which I believe is where most people would go. He got through it.

It behooves me that with so much need to upgrade on our team . . .RB,TE,FB, (maybe another solid back-up at Guard or Tackle on the OL) and at SS. . . that TT is sitting on so much CAP.

If it's really ** 15 Million dollars ( Note: We had to sign Justin Harrel and that's done now) ** that much money could have given us an upgrade at TE and FB with money to spare.

Is it just TT being extremely cautious as he moves along his learning curve, a personality issue or is he too cheap with the money or is it just a simple matter of better players not wanting o play in Green Bay?

I hate the way he slides past those questions that deal with why didn't you acquire this or that player. Why not just put it out there? Be the man !!

What does it have to do with that player being on another team? Can't he come up with an answer, an informing response?

TT appears to want to lean on a classic scape goat response and that won't help him. TT isn't serving himself very well in regards to trust issues. The fan deserves to know. The fan will support a man who acts just human.

Don't Packer fans deserve the hard truth?

ie:

I didn't get Moss because I wasn't aggressive enough and maybe in the near future I'll look back on this as a regret.

TT should get REAL, and get there really fast.

It's OK to be wrong (human) but not OK to slide through the muck and act like your not even a tad dirty.

I'm actually surprized that TT allowed the direction of the interview as it came out. It's certainly telling.

The bottom line is that I saw this fr. TT in the interview resposes. He knows that we must win this season. It's time.

Back to the concerns some have here. Why didn't he do more in this off season to give himself and the Packers that chance?

Why is Ted Thompson sitting on so much CAP when we have so much need especially on the offensive side of the ball?

PackerBlues
07-30-2007, 04:19 PM
Anyone could see that our Defense could not stop the run last year. Any team that wanted to run against our defense, did so at will. That is the only reason that I cannot knock Thompson for picking up Harrell with our #1 Pick. If Harrell is as good as Thompson thinks he is, then good, glad to have him.

However, on the other side of the ball, while we were able to move the ball down field on Offense, scoring in the red zone was pathetic, and thats is a gross understatement. Perhaps if our TE's had a little more practice at catching balls, rather than backing up our Pathetic O-line by doing their blocking for them, things might not have been so bad.

So, here we go into next season with TWO good WR's, Driver and Jennings. After that, its questionable. We have the same two ineffective TE's, so no upgrade there at all. We lose Green in Free Agency, and replace him with a "running back by committee" system........."unless somebody steps up."

Thompson is supposed to be doing EVERYTHING in his power to help this team win. The simple fact that the words "Free Agency" causes such an uproar in these forums, just points out the fact that Thompson is not doing EVERYTHING in his power to help this team win.

What has Thompson done on Offense to make anybody believe that things are going to be better this year?

the_idle_threat
07-30-2007, 04:28 PM
Gee---this thread has become a haven for the anti-TT trolls.

I like Thompson just a little bit more now just because he pisses you guys off so much. :P

GrnBay007
07-30-2007, 04:31 PM

I like Thompson just a little bit more now just because he pisses you guys off so much. :P

LOL
All topics/threads can and often times do end up being the TT VS Sherman debate.

PackerBlues
07-30-2007, 04:39 PM

That ok, I was looking at it from the flip side of the same coin. Most threads are taken over by the "Pro-TT Trolls".

I hate Thompson just a little bit more now just because he has so many trolls blindly hanging off of his nuts.

GrnBay007
07-30-2007, 05:01 PM

LOL
All topics/threads can and often times do end up being the TT VS Sherman debate.

http://www.usapears.com/images/pbnw-varieties-anjou-s.gif VS. http://www.kidskonnect.com/images/stories/Turtles/turtlecrazy.gif

PackerBlues
07-30-2007, 05:16 PM

LOL

http://www.usapears.com/images/pbnw-varieties-anjou-s.gif VS. http://www.kidskonnect.com/images/stories/Turtles/turtlecrazy.gif

Ha Ha, good one. (shouldn't the Turtles head be in its shell though?) :)

woodbuck27
07-30-2007, 05:49 PM

Let's get this really clear.

I for one am not just anti-TT.

I am all for the Green Bay Packers having the best chance to win a playoff spot and going beyond their first round game.It's pretty obvious to many that Ted Thompson ensured us of little chance of that coming to fruition in 2007.

Ted Thompson has got to act like an NFL GM and not just be one in name.

Let's just look at our TE position.

TT showed us early in his contract, is reticient nature, when he was so late signing Bubba Franks. Bubba wasn't in game shape at the start of 2005. Jogging around some track in Miami wasn't what we needed. We needed him in Green Bay before the start of TC.

Has Bubba ever recovered?Will he ever recover?

Oh wait. Ted says he thinks that he will. Well OK then. . .mmmmm.

NO !!! Thinking that he will recover doesn't cut it.

TT took a bandaid approach to re-building our OL in 2005. Two seasons into Ted's contract Bubba still has to be used primarily as a blocker. That's just what anoid Bubba Franks under Mike Sherman's tenure. Do you recall that fact?

Bubba felt under utilized until we were close to the goal line.

Bubba certainly appears to have lost his drive,his confidence. So what does TT decide to do about that?

The interview informs us that he spends alot of time on his knees.mmmmm. :)

That would be praying.

Ted informs us that he thinks that Bubba will bounce back. GREAT !!

BUT !!! What if he doesn't. . . Ted?

Maybe Ted Thompson could have elected some contingincy or backup plan to help himself and our team be a winner at the very important TE position but NO !!!

Ted's way. . .NO real response !! He's shooting himself in the foot.

Prayer isn't going to ensure Packer wins.

The Green Bay Packers and other positions of need.

Do we all feel really set at RB and FB? Really confident that that ground game will carry the team; not place too much stress on the only thing that may be decent for us. . our 'D'?

Ted Thompson decides on this as an option. That draft picks will provide the support that Favre and Driver need?

Good grief !!! Is that an option for 2007?

Yup. Draft picks.

(Rookies) are often leaders on an NFL teams offense. True or False

Yet. . . TT has finally gotten the message. We will win now, we will win some games this season.

How is that? Our SOS is against us this season compared to 2006.

How is that? When he sat mostly on his butt this off season and allowed nothing to speak of out of FA for our team that had certain need of a SS, TE, FB and RB with the experience and creditials only offered by acquiring a vet.

The counter argument we see here is that it was a very weak FA crop. That's why TT wasn't active. Problem is we had over the top too much need. As our GM he had as a primary objective the need to ready us for 2007.

If the FA market was so poor and the only means of getting better was the draft. Ted should have been honest and informed the Packer fans that he expects that this will be an up and down season. That 2007 will allow his coaching staff to grow and develop our young players but that we shouldn't expect too much this season in terms of advancing in the playoffs

I'd respect that. Maybe that is what he means by saying. We'll win some games? :)

Ted Thompson isn't the strong communicator I'd prefer having as our GM. He is just aweful in that Dept. Is it ego or is he just shy or backward?

TT the draft genious? and GM on a learning curve

How much credit are we going to give TT for drafting AJ Hawk?

Was that a tough choice, a huge surprize to you, Packer fans? Ted only had to see us get to 4-12 to enable that brialliant selection. He certainly enabled that with the lousy OL he stuffed down our throats; and worst of all the shaft that went with that, up Mike Sherman's post.

Yup the GM (on the learning curve ) not any genious folks, extends Mike Sherman and later that season gives him the Ole heave ho. Maybe he was told to do that? No couldn't be.

Just an early indicator that he had a long ways to go as a competent GM.

What reflects worst on TT (here) is that extention.

With the early signs of the turtle complex ( any camera's in Green Bay?) and the lousy OL, the terrible influx of LBers, TT's tardiness in deciding on ** Bubba Franks and then. . . all the adversity (injuries to key players) we go 4-12. Blame can be spread around. Mike Sherman got the Lions share of that.

Oh. . . what was that **? Not back to Bubba. Who would have thought it.

J. Walker and Ahman Green and all those OL injuries. Mike Sherman certainly got the goose long before Christmas.

Ted just simply put. .waisted money. The learning curve of a wanna be GM for the Green Bay Packers. He's sure making up for that booboo now!!

back to TT the draft guru. . . 'the draft genious'.

AJ Hawk was a no brainer. Again after all those wanna be's Ted provided for us at LBer in 2005. A peach of a crop.

Rah Rahh Ted. Again. . .NO !!!

When his other picks in Rd. 1 are Aaron Rodgers ( how well did TT check that QB out?) Ohhhh that was in his first draft as our GM. Forgiven !!!

. . .but this season. DT Justin Harrel who possibly may not be a starter in 2007 selected at (DT) where we may be strongest with that ton of need elsewhere. Unforgivable for a draft genious.

Ted informs us that he thinks we will or have to WIN NOW !!

That's just may be almost brialliant if we had any real chance of doing that.

GrnBay007
07-30-2007, 05:53 PM
(shouldn't the Turtles head be in its shell though?) :)

Yep, he does look a lil more excited then I think we will ever see TT. :P

Bretsky
07-30-2007, 05:56 PM
TT is his style. Becasue he does not say a whole lot or is not flashy, peopoe do not seem to like him. We wwil see how the team plays this year.

He's like Colonel Klink in Hogan's Heroes when he screams........I know nothing...I will say nothing !....when he obviously does know a little bit of something.

Rastak
07-30-2007, 05:59 PM

He's like Colonel Klink in Hogan's Heroes when he screams........I know nothing...I will say nothing !....when he obviously does know a little bit of something.

Ummm, that would be Sgt. Schultz......

General Burkhalter:

Klink you Idiot!

Schultz:

Apple Strudel!

Bretsky
07-30-2007, 06:06 PM
I don't buy for one minute McGinn was not brash with Sherman. He threw him under the bus very often. He criticized him for his packaging of picks, and often for his friendship with an offensive coordinator who McGinn thought was doing a lousy job......to the point of questioning if his friendship was clouding Sherman's judgment in keeping Rossley.

McGinn was brash and mean with TT; I agree with that. He tried to get some answers and failed. I bet that was one incredibly frustrating interview for both sides.

Writers hate Question Dodgers, and Dodgers hate being pushed for specific answers.

You won't see these two guys at the Brett Favre Steakhouse toasting anytime soon.

Bretsky
07-30-2007, 06:07 PM

Ummm, that would be Sgt. Schultz......

General Burkhalter:

Klink you Idiot!

Schultz:

Apple Strudel!

CRAP I'M BUSTED

I remember the scenes but forgot the names.

Dam you Rastak; normally only Pater catches me with my multitude of inaccuracies :lol:

Rastak
07-30-2007, 06:09 PM
It's one of my favorite all time shows.

:D

RashanGary
07-30-2007, 06:10 PM
2-4 was Mike Sherman's playoff record.

I'm wondering if some of you guys play a little too much John Madden with the cheat codes enabled the way some of you are ripping on TT for not being having AWESOME tight ends and AWESOME runningbacks and an AWESOME offensive line and AWESOME linebackers and AWESOME wide receivers and AWESOME defensive backs. Trade Bubba Smith for Antonio Gates in GM mode and there you go!

What do you want TT to say? "We suck at tight end. You got me there Mr. McGinn. Golly, you sure do know your football. I don't know what the hell I was thinking, I had the cash to buy some average free agents at that position and I just fricking didn't do it. Maybe you could write down how I'm real sorry about how useless some of my players are. I know that won't go over well in my lockerroom but at least I'll know I've been honest with the fans that know so much about each and every one of these guys and whether or not they have the potential to grow into contributing roles on pur team. By the way, I don't know when I've ever been interviewed by such a relentlessly tough seeker of the truth."

Nice perspective Swede.

woodbuck27
07-30-2007, 06:57 PM
I just read that interview again and really Packerrats:

Read it carefully. Be really honest in response to this question to yourself:

If you could have looked into the future and had that interview in front of you.

and. . .

You had the capacity to decide on Ted Thompson as the GM of the Green Bay Packers.

Would you hire Ted Thompson to manage the team you love?

Be honest please.

RashanGary
07-30-2007, 07:30 PM
Thompsons answers were fine, Woodbuck. It was the questions that had the negative tone.

Try reading it again, this time it won't have McGinn dominating teh conversation and making presumptions rather than asking questions.

I think we try to do the best we can for the team. If our team gets better then that's better for Brett. We're trying to do the best we can. In the draft, the board works a certain way and that's the way we pick guys.

No. Having played helps me a little bit. I don't have thin skin. I think it's good for players to voice their opinions. As an organization you'd like everybody to be happy all the time. I think Brett has earned the right to say what he wants to say, and he does quite often.

Randy Moss is a member of the New England Patriots now. That's the way it is. It's inappropriate for me to be discussing a player that's on another team.

Right. I still think it's inappropriate to talk about a player that's on another team.

I just don't do that.

Well, we would like to win this season. I've said that publicly and privately, saying we expect to win. I don't worry about things like, "Am I going to be here after this year?" That never enters my mind.

I don't do much predicting. I expect us to win. I do think that we should be thinking about the playoffs. Once you get in the playoffs you never know what's going to happen.

I'm not a good judge of public perception, but I think we're a pretty good team. We're going to be stronger and deeper than we've ever been, certainly in the last three years. We're going to have very difficult decisions to make as we go through camp. We've got competition at every position. We're going to be better on special teams. We're going to be better on offense. We're going to have a really good defense. I think it's OK if we're being overlooked.

Well, we have a lot of faith in Aaron Rodgers. But I don't think you ever think that the fate of an organization or someone's career rests solely on one person.

Why I suppose then you'd move on. But we don't look for that to happen. We think whenever it does become his time, Aaron will be a good player. So we're not looking at it in terms of, "Oh my gosh, what if?"

My working relationship was good with John. I wasn't aware of those things.

That's at a much higher level than I'm at. Be a good leader. Good judge of people. Probably the same things that would make you a really good CEO at IBM would make you a good CEO here. A person who gives credit to others. You're going to have to care about this organization and understand how it works and what it means to people. It's a hugely important decision going forward.

Well, Mike has a job in Tennessee. Other than that I'd rather not speculate or talk about that.

We make lots of decisions every day. You try to make each decision the best you can and then you go to the next thing. I know I'm going to get criticism. I know people have passion and they care about this place. I do, too. Maybe to a fault I care about it. I want to do the right thing, and I gnash my teeth and I try to make sure we're doing it the way we should do it. But we try to err on the side of what's best for the organization as a whole. A quick fix or something like that, I don't think it's as important to Packer fans. I think they want to have good people here. They want people that represent the community well. Obviously, it's important to win here. This tradition has been established and re-established over time. We know we have to win.

What's near and dear to me is the team that takes that field, and the players that represent this place, these people that have supported them over all these years can be proud of them. That's where we're trying to get to.

I think we've done a pretty good job building up the core of the team. I think when you have playoff runs like the Packers have had over a number of years you don't have maybe the normal turnover in a roster. You wind up getting a little top-heavy in terms of age. I'm not one of those people who tries to get young for the sake of getting young. It's just that it makes for a more healthy organism, really, if in fact you have a good mixture of veterans and youth. I think we've added competition. We haven't won enough games, and that's my responsibility.

We had some talks. Doing a contract is hard to predict. I would have liked to have kept Ahman. We just got bid out of the water.

That's another example of someone that's on another team and I'm not really going to get into that.

I think my reputation is on the line at every position. But we feel pretty comfortable with the competition we're going to have at running back. We like these guys.

I don't know how to compare them. They're different running backs. I think Brandon Jackson is a good player. Vernand Morency came in and played a role last year and did a nice job. All the guys in the backfield can catch the ball. They have different running styles. We think it's going to be a good group. It may wind up running back by committee, or someone might establish himself.

I don't know that you can predict anything like that. Depends on if some other team is looking to do something.

Yes. I just think they're pretty good backs. There are guys all over the league who played at 212 pounds. We'll see.

Because I think that's what this place is. Football is the ultimate team sport, defense probably even more so than offense. I'm sure people in other sports would argue that. I just think, especially in a place like this, it's good to remind us all that this is a team sport and it's more special here than anywhere else.

Loved it. Absolutely. It affects all of our decisions in personnel. It affects us when we're thinking about guys in the draft or free agency or tradable guys. The best time in football is not when you get a trophy for being an all-pro. The best part is looking around a winning locker room and knowing this guy over here did his part and you feel that collectively. The culture has changed a little bit. There's all this instant access and instant stardom or failure. I still think if you talk to the guys in this sport who have been renowned - Brett Favre, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Charles Woodson - and what their thrills are in life, I'll bet you it would be a team's success as opposed to an individual trophy. Not all players would agree, but I bet you the real ones would.

Yeah. There's still a lot of unknowns. I believe in my heart the competition we have at every position will make our team better.

I don't know about the fear of God and all that. I think we have a chance to be a good defense. We have what I believe, 1 through 9 or 10, an excellent defensive line that works well together. I think our linebackers will be extremely strong, not only our starters but whoever wins in the backup areas. I think our secondary will be very good. We feel very comfortable with Charles (Woodson) and Al (Harris) at the corners. Nick Collins is coming into his own. Marquand (Manuel) didn't have a good year. We're going to be able to play nickel and dime packages. We're going to have depth. Now it has to happen. We have to come together. But I think we saw a little bit of it toward the end of the season.

I don't do too much looking backwards. Probably the one that sticks in my mind is we weren't able to shore together the offensive line in 2005. We didn't do a very good job of that.

Sometimes we were in conversations with people and it just didn't work out. They preferred to be in a particular area of the country. Sometimes it had to do with money. In a lot of cases we felt like some of the players we had were just as good prospects.

No. No, I don't. . . to answer your question (laughs). Free agency is free agency. In some of those cases we were trying to sign them and they signed with other places. In some cases they signed for less than what we offered. With some of those fellows we ultimately felt they wouldn't help us.

No, I think I can think of these things. I wouldn't necessarily characterize that as that. We have played in free agency. We have made signings in 2006. Sometimes a lot of things have to come together. The player has to want to come here. It's got to be a particular position we need help in. I don't think you go sign guys just to add depth to your team. I think you sign guys to play a role.

No. It's difficult to give a self-evaluation on something like that. I don't consider that a problem, but now that you mention it I'll look into it. We have some grandiose ideas at times. A lot of people say we're not very flashy. There are a lot of things that we discuss that don't come to fruition. I have a lot of different personalities working with us. It's their job to bring ideas and thoughts and what-if this and what-if that.

Yeah, I think so. There are obviously different dynamics of the room. My point to all the guys I work with is, that's their job. Let's bounce things off the wall. Let's talk about them. It doesn't necessarily mean we jump and run and do whatever it is, but we talk about those things. We have a pretty open forum. I think if you ask those guys, they'd say it was a pretty comfortable setting.

You're always asking for more wisdom. I know I always do. I'm on my knees every night.

Yeah, it's very important. But you look at each person and each set of circumstances as carefully as you can. With Koren Robinson, obviously I had a history with him. I know that he's a good person. Yes, he made some mistakes. In Rory Johnson's case, he did make some mistakes in college. We have Shawn Slocum, who knows him from Ole Miss. This guy was certainly a good enough player to be drafted. We fixed it so we would not draft him. As a free agent, we feel like it gives the kid another chance. He's never harmed anyone. It's never been anything like that. As a free agent, we felt like it was less risk and see if the kid can fit in with a chance and be the kind of character guy we're looking for.

I don't think Marquand had as good a year as he would have liked. He can play better than that. We do have a lot of competition at safety. We'll see how it bears out.

I've always felt like in free agency it's important to identify your core players and have conversations with them prior to their contracts expiring. Sometimes that works out and sometimes it doesn't. Yeah, I think it's good business for all NFL teams to concentrate on their own players. Those are the ones you know right there at that moment. Sometimes in free agency you don't know all the chinks in the armor. It's good for the locker room to let people know we will value your performance and, if you do the right things, we're going to take care of you.

I don't know. Bubba has been a pretty good player here since before I got here. The last couple years haven't been good years for him. I look for him to have a bounce-back year. He's professional. He carries himself well. But the proof's in the pudding.

Some of it has to do with timing and some on what we actually thought of those players in free agency.

Quite frankly, in a lot of areas we felt our young guys were as good or better than the players we could have acquired. But we'll see. We need to have some production there. It's an important position in our offense.

Once again, we like the guys that we've got. I thought Brandon Miree played well last year prior to his injury. These rookies we've got are going to be pretty good players.

Packnut
07-30-2007, 07:58 PM
Ok let me get this straight. It's considered being anti-TT because I know there is no magic fairy who's gonna sprinkle some fairy dust and make our TE's productive? That's called knowing football and knowing damn well not one of the TE's on this roster is gonna produce like a WC offense needs.

I'm considered anti- TT cause after 33+ years of watching football, I know that RB's don't grow on trees. Morency has shown signs of being able to produce, he's also shown signs that he won't. At best he's been inconsistent.
If you look at all RB's who make an impact their rookie season, at least 95% proved themselves by being the "man" in their senior year. Jackson has no history of being that. Again, I know from experience that him having an impact this season is remote.

I could go on with more examples but what's the point? I guess according to some here, we should just throw out all the things we've learned and just have blind faith and trust in Thompson. Hey, if that's what floats your boat, have at it, but I prefer to use reason and logic and EXPERIENCE in evaluating where this team is. I have my hopes and prayers and I drink some kool-aid too, but I also can see the flip side very clearly. If that makes me anti-TT than so be it. All I know is that come Nov., there's gonna be some crow served up with that turkey. I truly hope I'm the one eating it, but I got a hunch that won't be the case........

RashanGary
07-30-2007, 08:22 PM
Packnut, I see where you and Woodbuck are coming from. You look at the SS, TE, FB and RB and wonder what the hell we are going to do at all four.

We have a crap load of young guys and unproven guys and more likely than not we're going to exit the up coming season knowing we could have had better production from probably three of the four. I'm assuming we get at least one pleasant suprise (probably Jackson or Morency)

When you look at the team, you can just come on here and site the four worste things and assume the whole season is going to play out according the the bottom 1/15th of the roster. If you look at the starting unit as a whole, from offense to defense, I think you see an overall strong team with some positions that arnt' as strong as others. We'll see how it goes, but I think some here overexaggerate the question marks while down playing the strengths.

Either of us could be wrong. I hope you are too, mostly becuase I want this team to win. If I'm wrong, I'll be eating my own humble pie. Everything I think I know will be wrong and I'll have to just take a wait and see approach for a while as I will know that I dont' know. As for now I still think I do know so I'm looking forward to watching Hawk, Barnett, Kampman, Favre, Driver, Jennings, Jones, Woodson, Harris, Collins, Jenkins, Williams, Harrell, Clifton, Tauscher, Colledge, Wells, Spitz, Rayner/Crosby, Ryan, Manuel, Morency/Jackson, Bubba/Lee, Miree show you wrong. Sure there were a couple stinkers at the end of that list, but there were some damn good ones near the top too. The hope is that they play together as a team and the good outshine the bad.

PackerBlues
07-30-2007, 08:24 PM
Having again gone over as much of the interview as I could take, I have come to a conclusion about what hacks me off the most about the whole thing:

McGinn asked Thompson the very questions that we have been debating about on these forums. All of the things that people in these very forums have been at each others throats about for the longest time.

For the people in these forums that are loyal to Thompson to a fault, the only bad part of the interview was the "boldness" or "rudeness" of the questions asked of Thompson. Nevermind that Thompson ducked questions that all of us would like answers to. Why would they care if Thompson answered the questions or not? They dont question Ted, why should anyone else?

For those of us who enjoy watching our team win, how could you not want to ask Thompson the very questions that McGinn asked? How could you not want answers? Thompson does not care what the fans think of him. In his mind, he is doing what he thinks is best for the team. If you can't just take his word for it, Tough Shit!

Obviously, Packer Fans have plenty of reason to be upset with what we have seen from Thompson so far. How many screw ups do we need to see before we can question him without being called "Rude" or "Harsh"? How many glaring mistakes do we have to ignore before it's "one to many"? That'is just talking about the Mistakes that stand out....... what about everything that Thompson Followers are taking on blind faith? The things that "only time will tell".

We have no choice but to except what Thompson has provided for the Packers this year. However, unless Thompson starts talking, the questions are going to be asked more and more, and heard by more and more people. During the game, we always have to put up with listening to the "talking-heads" discuss stupid shit (such as Favres retirement), perhaps this year, they will find something more interestinig to talk about. Like the way that Thompson helped Favre "go out with a bang". HA!!!! Yep, Ted sure improved our Offense, that should get the "Talking-Heads" going, lol. Maybe they will discuss draft picks. Aaron Rogers was a great one, following the dismantlement of our O-line..........that should make for plenty of filler material. Then maybe they will talk about Harrell and the "Boo's". With the lack of improvement to our Offense, they may just have to talk about Harrell........... to many "3 and Outs" may make it difficult to talk about our Offense.

The Leaper
07-31-2007, 08:13 AM
Admittedly, McCarthy is probably no Bellichik, but saying categorically that a "FA light, build through the draft" approach can't work in today's NFL is silly. The last NFL dynasty was built that way.

In fact, just about EVERY NFL dynasty has been built that way...even after the advent of free agency.

However, you do need to be willing to take chances. To this point, Thompson has seemed unwilling to take much of a risk. He may have his reasons for it (young coaching staff, lack of depth to contend anyway) but to this point Thompson has refused to show that he has the ability to make the risky moves necessary to get to the top...such as Wolf showed by acquiring Favre.

the_idle_threat
07-31-2007, 08:49 AM
Having again gone over as much of the interview as I could take, I have come to a conclusion about what hacks me off the most about the whole thing:

McGinn asked Thompson the very questions that we have been debating about on these forums. All of the things that people in these very forums have been at each others throats about for the longest time.

For the people in these forums that are loyal to Thompson to a fault, the only bad part of the interview was the "boldness" or "rudeness" of the questions asked of Thompson. Nevermind that Thompson ducked questions that all of us would like answers to. Why would they care if Thompson answered the questions or not? They dont question Ted, why should anyone else?

For those of us who enjoy watching our team win, how could you not want to ask Thompson the very questions that McGinn asked? How could you not want answers? Thompson does not care what the fans think of him. In his mind, he is doing what he thinks is best for the team. If you can't just take his word for it, Tough Shit!

Obviously, Packer Fans have plenty of reason to be upset with what we have seen from Thompson so far. How many screw ups do we need to see before we can question him without being called "Rude" or "Harsh"? How many glaring mistakes do we have to ignore before it's "one to many"? That'is just talking about the Mistakes that stand out....... what about everything that Thompson Followers are taking on blind faith? The things that "only time will tell".

We have no choice but to except what Thompson has provided for the Packers this year. However, unless Thompson starts talking, the questions are going to be asked more and more, and heard by more and more people. During the game, we always have to put up with listening to the "talking-heads" discuss stupid shit (such as Favres retirement), perhaps this year, they will find something more interestinig to talk about. Like the way that Thompson helped Favre "go out with a bang". HA!!!! Yep, Ted sure improved our Offense, that should get the "Talking-Heads" going, lol. Maybe they will discuss draft picks. Aaron Rogers was a great one, following the dismantlement of our O-line..........that should make for plenty of filler material. Then maybe they will talk about Harrell and the "Boo's". With the lack of improvement to our Offense, they may just have to talk about Harrell........... to many "3 and Outs" may make it difficult to talk about our Offense.

BAM!

PackerBlues
07-31-2007, 08:58 AM

BAM!

Cute, Bam! Bitching and Moaning huh?

I have another cute one for you..... SOS! For all of you that still continue to blindly follow Thompson on pure faith with out asking questions. SOS! "Stuck On Stupid"

the_idle_threat
07-31-2007, 09:13 AM
Is it really that "stupid" to take a wait-and-see attitude and see what develops in camp, considering it's only what---day 3?

Has it never happened before that young players have stepped up when given an opportunity (Answer: IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME IN THIS LEAGUE).

Maybe it's far more "stupid" to be BAM-ing about an outcome that hasn't happened yet and may not ever happen. :idea:

If the young guys fail to develop as expected, and we have more results like the 1st half of last year's Jets game, I'll be BAM-ing right along with you, and I'll actually have a reason to do it.

Until then, I can't agree with you that it's "stupid" to relax and see what happens.

cheesner
07-31-2007, 09:46 AM
Is it really that "stupid" to take a wait-and-see attitude and see what develops in camp, considering it's only what---day 3?
How many here where upset over the James Jones pick? Now there is a thread describing him as a potential star.

PackerBlues:

1. Wouldn't it be easier to remove your head from your ass before looking at what TT has done for the team?

2. Have you considered the long term impacts to the team when looking at the high priced FA moves TT has not made?

See the difference in asking a question rudely and asking in a manner befitting a professional journalist?

PackerBlues
07-31-2007, 09:50 AM

Has it never happened before that young players have stepped up when given an opportunity (Answer: IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME IN THIS LEAGUE).

Maybe it's far more "stupid" to be BAM-ing about an outcome that hasn't happened yet and may not ever happen. :idea:

If the young guys fail to develop as expected, and we have more results like the 1st half of last year's Jets game, I'll be BAM-ing right along with you, and I'll actually have a reason to do it.

Until then, I can't agree with you that it's "stupid" to relax and see what happens.

Is it really Bitching and Moaning to question Thompson when he himself admits that he screwed up when he dismantled our O-line in 2005 without a plan in place to have it "shored up" before the start of the season? Whenever we discussed it on these boards, the "Thompson Faithful" always said that Ted never had a choice, and that Ted knows best, that it had to happen the way that it did. BS!!! To listen to you talk, everytime it was ever brought up, it was just "BAM". Now Ted admits that it was a mistake, and now what do you have to say? BAM?

I could follow that by talking about Randy Moss, and the other RB's and WR's that could have been had in Free Agency that were mentioned in the article, but I suppose, since Ted didnt answer those questions, we should just accept his silence and not "BAM", LOL.

It was not that long ago, that a Packer Fan MIGHT expect the 1'st round pick to be a starter on opening day, IF he showed something in training camp and the pre-season. If the 2'nd round pick also got time as a starter in the regular season, that was thought of as a bonus. Any other Pick that showed enough promise to be a starter was a "rare gift". But now, we get your cute little word "BAM", because some of us still think in those regards. Some of us find it hard to believe that there is much chance of getting a LEGITAMATE starter after the 1'st round. We are not suggesting that its inconceivable, just that its not very likely. Again, we are left with throwing a bunch of rookies on the field, and waiting to see which one "steps up". I would say that every one of us has the right to "Bam" over that strategy. As a matter of fact, anyone who does not question it, in my opinion, is "SOS"!!!

cheesner
07-31-2007, 10:02 AM
Is it really Bitching and Moaning to question Thompson when he himself admits that he screwed up when he dismantled our O-line in 2005 without a plan in place to have it "shored up" before the start of the season?
YES! That is the definition of bitching and moaning! He admitted it was a mistake. Get over it an move on.

PackerBlues
07-31-2007, 10:34 AM
If it were simply the O-line in 2005 that Ted had screwed up, I doubt that anyone here would have a problem with trying to "get over it and move on", now that he has admitted his mistake.

Ahman Green said time and time again, that he wanted to stay in GB. Ted just couldnt figure out a way to make that happen. It would be easy to "move on and get over it", if Thompson would tell us why he couldnt make it happen. How about why he didn't then go after Travis Henry, Michael Turner, Willis McGahee, or Jamal Lewis? Was he just "going through the motions" with Green? Because it looks to me, like we are left to believe that, that is exactly what Thompson was doing, "just going through the motions". How else do you explain ending up with "RB by committee"?

Considering all the cap room Ted managed to get for us, signing Randy Moss should not have been a problem. Hell, Favre was willing to re-structure his contract to help sign Moss. Yet Ted couldnt get the deal done. He admitted that they thought that they had a deal in place. Was that just BS, or did he actually try to sign Moss? Either way, it does not make Thompson look very trustworthy. Eiither he was flat out lying about it, or, he does not have the ability to make deals. Walker, Green, Moss........Bubba?

Idle Threat is saying its only day 3 of training camp and we should just "wait and see". In the meantime, Cheesner tells me to "remove my head from my ass" at the same time that he has wood, because there is a story out about James Jones, describing him as a potential star.

:knll: :crazy:

Zool
07-31-2007, 10:39 AM

I have another cute one for you..... SOS! For all of you that still continue to blindly follow Thompson on pure faith with out asking questions. SOS! "Stuck On Stupid"

I hardly say that I'm following blindly, but I dont let it affect my life. Its entertainment, and perspective is very important.

swede
07-31-2007, 10:41 AM
Randy Moss?!!???

Packerblues, please, describe in detail the wonderful effect that Randy Moss would have had on our team and our lockerroom. Nothing good is on the comedy channel so reading your stuff is a pretty funny substitute.

(You'll get extra credit for finding a way to use the terms "hard-working" and "veteran leadership" in your response.)

PackerBlues
07-31-2007, 10:57 AM
Randy Moss?!!???

Packerblues, please, describe in detail the wonderful effect that Randy Moss would have had on our team and our lockerroom. Nothing good is on the comedy channel so reading your stuff is a pretty funny substitute.

(You'll get extra credit for finding a way to use the terms "hard-working" and "veteran leadership" in your response.)

Time and again, guys like you preach taking a "wait and see" approach. Then you throw out your predictions about how you feel that certain rookies will step up. To top it off, many of you Predict that Randy Moss MIGHT have been way to much of a disrupting presence in our locker room.

Taking your approach, I would GUESS that Moss would have provided an extra VETERAN WR, making injury less of a gamble.

A known deep threat?
A player that is famous for going after and getting the long ball?
A guy who can stretch the field?.

Help at scoring in the red Zone?
Anyone here not think we could use all the help we can get to score in the red zone after last year?

Is all the good that Moss MIGHT have provided to our team, worth the risk of not even trying, simply because he MIGHT have been a disruption in our locker room?

That by the way, is a legitamate question, not Bitching and Moaning. Hope that was entertaining and funny enough for you. :taunt:

(Personally, I am going to find it funny while watching the games. When Aikman, Young, or Bradshaw ect. ect.ect. start asking all the questions that you guys refer to as "BAM". Then instead of talking about Shermans "Deer in the headlights look", we can all talk about Thompsons "Deer in the headlights look", as he continues to "not discuss players on other teams", and "spends time on his knees". Now that would be entertaining.)

PackerBlues
07-31-2007, 11:46 AM

I hardly say that I'm following blindly, but I dont let it affect my life. Its entertainment, and perspective is very important.

An excellent point, and one that should be taken into consideration.

However, this is a Packer's Forum where people get together to discuss the Packers. Whenever there is more than one side to an issue, you will always have reason to debate. When people debate something, it will sometimes become heated. Thats why I am not bothered by Scott Cambell calling me a "pussy" in an earlier thread, nor am I bothered by Cheesner telling me to remove my head from my ass. Sometimes, when someone cannot intelligently debate their point, rather than concede the point, they lower themselves to name calling or personal attacks. Its nothing new. Neither is the point of view of people who say "just wait and see." Again, this is a forum that is open to discuss issues regarding the Packers. If your response is "just wait and see", your not debating at all, nor are you adding anything to the discussion. Yet you label people who do want to discuss an issue that you dont "BAM". :duel: If you do not want to discuss it, why say anything at all? :roll:

Zool
07-31-2007, 12:48 PM

However, this is a Packer's Forum where people get together to discuss the Packers. Whenever there is more than one side to an issue, you will always have reason to debate. When people debate something, it will sometimes become heated. Thats why I am not bothered by Scott Cambell calling me a "pussy" in an earlier thread, nor am I bothered by Cheesner telling me to remove my head from my ass. Sometimes, when someone cannot intelligently debate their point, rather than concede the point, they lower themselves to name calling or personal attacks. Its nothing new. Neither is the point of view of people who say "just wait and see." Again, this is a forum that is open to discuss issues regarding the Packers. If your response is "just wait and see", your not debating at all, nor are you adding anything to the discussion. Yet you label people who do want to discuss an issue that you dont "BAM". :duel: If you do not want to discuss it, why say anything at all? :roll:

Firstly, never once have i used this new LAME ASS, sorry excuse for an acronym.

Secondly, you say people can not argue intelligently then you pop off with your SOS, calling all who disagree with you stupid.

Thirdly, as you stated this is a forum for discussion. My points and opinions are equally as valuable as yours.

Dont you think there are people that come here to read football information? This is the easiest way to view Packer articles as they are all here from tons of other sites. You shouldnt be preaching about valued opinions while at the same time degrading someone for theirs.

Jerkstore.

PackerBlues
07-31-2007, 12:57 PM

Firstly, never once have i used this new LAME ASS, sorry excuse for an acronym.

Secondly, you say people can not argue intelligently then you pop off with your SOS, calling all who disagree with you stupid.

Thirdly, as you stated this is a forum for discussion. My points and opinions are equally as valuable as yours.

Dont you think there are people that come here to read football information? This is the easiest way to view Packer articles as they are all here from tons of other sites. You shouldnt be preaching about valued opinions while at the same time degrading someone for theirs.

Jerkstore.

Actually, I was commenting you on your point about keeping things in perspective. If you would also go back over what I wrote, I used the word "you" in general terms in regards to the people that have been using the "Lame ass excuse for an acronym."

and yes, I agree that your points and opinions are just as valuable as mine or anyone elses.

Dont have a cow man. :) :cow:

(p.s. the "SOS" crap was simply in retaliation for the "BAM" crap. Sorry to offend.)

Zool
07-31-2007, 12:59 PM
Ahh crap. I had hoped the "jerkstore" at the end would show the entire thing was a joke. I was trying to be way over the top with the whole post. I guess I was too convincing?

I spose i did miss your you = everyone part. I'm no good at chatfights.

Packnut
07-31-2007, 01:49 PM
This debate is like the energizer bunny! It ain't getting settled anytime soon. My advice to all is drop it and re-visit sometime in late October when there will be more "substance" to opinions.

MJZiggy
07-31-2007, 01:51 PM
This debate is like the energizer bunny! It ain't getting settled anytime soon. My advice to all is drop it and re-visit sometime in late October when there will be more "substance" to opinions.
:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :clap: :clap: :bclap: :bclap:

The Leaper
07-31-2007, 02:09 PM
Ahman Green said time and time again, that he wanted to stay in GB. Ted just couldnt figure out a way to make that happen.

Ahman Green got a ridiculous deal from Houston...just as Rivera got a ridiculous deal from Dallas a few years back. Most NFL observers I've seen comment on the deal Ahman got have felt it was too costly when you consider Green's likely future performance over 3-4 years. He's not the back he was in 2003-2004.

It would have been foolish for Thompson to match the Houston deal. It would have been foolish for Green to not take the Houston deal. There is no hypocrisy from either side. Thompson doesn't like to overpay, and Green isn't going to turn down huge coin when this is his last chance to sign a big money deal.

No FA RBs were really worth much. Henry? McGahee? Lewis? If these guys were worth something significant, their former teams would be holding on to them. Instead, they are oft-injured and/or over-the-hill.

I'm not sure what happened with Moss, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Moss was a short term option anyway...he wanted a one year deal so he could hit free agency in 2008. We would not have signed him long term after 2007.

Before I string Thompson up, I'm willing to let his draft picks grow in the system. Simply writing a GM off because he doesn't go out and sign a bunch of "name" free agents is foolish. Daniel Snyder does that every year...and hasn't won squat. Yeah, they can "help" short-term, but they typically aren't a long-term solution.

If you want to whine and moan about buying free agents, name an NFL champion that won after purchasing at least 1/3 of their starting lineup in free agency. You'll be looking for awhile...because nearly all champions typically develop well over 50% of their starting lineup from drafted talent.

woodbuck27
07-31-2007, 04:11 PM

Yup.

It will be clearer in December just how much Ted has laid on to create the winner that won't be in 2007.

He decided to sit on lots CAP space, rather than fill some of the holes prior to the draft, that would have made that exercise (drafting) a lot simpler for himself and ensure priority for our future.

Ted Thompson demonstrated too much (again this off season) that he isn't prepared or equipped to get the job done.

Is there any doubt in that as a fact?

He's still in his third year. Slow or unresponsive to a huge fault.

He's so arrogant and cheap he actually thinks (to make the best deal) the GM of the other team must first approach him.

He lacks guts.

He's not assertive. He doesn't demonstrate flexibility or imagination. He could care less what Packer fans feel or think.

He seldom takes any real stance to ensure that his many challenges are met with better coping skills that will be turned around to be successful.

He admits he doesn't understand why things go certain ways that don't benefit our team. Specifically players coming in for an interview and passing us over for another team, in terms of, how to avoid that in the future.

Why can't we all see that Ted Thompson simply put. Doesn't have any special skill set and 'in fact' mat be perceived around the NFL as a GM that has too much to learn.

We don't all see that as we are merely human and won't always agree but this matter has to do with a common passion. We are not a family devided but merely Packer fans so when are we going to come together to see the common good for our team?

Will 6-10 in 2007 do it for most of you? That's the interesting question as I sit as a member here.

Partial
07-31-2007, 04:13 PM
Ahh crap. I had hoped the "jerkstore" at the end would show the entire thing was a joke. I was trying to be way over the top with the whole post. I guess I was too convincing?

Oh yea, well I had sex with your wife.

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2007, 04:15 PM
McGinn had a chat today, and there were a few interesting questions and answers to me.

Q: Dick Glad of Roslyn, SD - In your recent interview with Ted Thompson you asked him some tough questions such as the ones about Randy Moss. He avoided answering questions he didn't want to answer. Could you imagine asking those same tough questions to guys like Mike Ditka or Bill Parcells and observing their reactions if they didn't want to answer? They would have exploded. Mr. Thompson seems very resolute about not answering certain questions, but never loses his composure. You could defame his mother and he would just say "Well, everybody is entitled to their opinion." What are your impressions of Mr. Thompson?

A: Bob McGinn - Dick - Thick skinned. Single minded. Stoic. Quiet. At peace with himself and his team. He is doing things his way. If it doesn't work, he will be asked to leave. He knows that. Everyone knows that. And that's the way it goes.

Q: Mark O'Keefe of Washington, D.C. - It's clear Bubba Franks is in rapid decline but what is not clear, at least to me, is what made this Pro Bowler go downhill so fast at such a young age (he's only 29). Did he get Antonio Freeman syndrome (symptoms: sudden loss of speed and desire) after signing the fat contract?

A: Bob McGinn - Mark - Daniel looks better this summer. I would not write him off yet. Hold those obituaries.

Q: Brian of Madison - Who is going to score touchdowns for this team? They have no running back and one receiver.

A: Bob McGinn - Brian - Maybe they don't need to score 400 points to make the playoffs if Thompson's hopes for the D materialize.

Q: Gullible Packer Fan of Texas - Bob- The recent Q&A you did with Ted Thompson was really good. Thompson seems like a smart guy, but when he first got here, he put together a complete shambles of an offensive line and then proceeded to tell everyone it would be fine. It was a joke. This season he seems to be doing the same routine only this time with the running backs. He says we will be fine. Does he truly believe this stuff when he says it? This backfield, at least on paper, doesn't seem to be NFL caliber in any way shape or form. How can Thompson not see what is blatantly obvious? Why even have a backfield at all if this is the best we can do. We are ranked number 32 in running backs and the only reason we are 32nd, is that's all the teams there are. For a smart guy, I don't get how he misses this. A running attack is crucial. I don't see one in Green Bay.

A: Bob McGinn - GBF - I guess I'd really like to see more than 3 1 /2 days of Jackson, Pope and White, and more than two practices from Morency, before I say they don't have a back. I know, I know, everyone has a "take" and wants instant "feedback" and is willing to make snap judgments. I guess I'm not cut out like that. You know, what one player looks like July 31 isn't necessarily what he will look like Aug. 10 or Aug. 20 or Oct. 1 or Dec. 15. You ask these questions expecting definitive answers and it's the fourth day of camp. Sorry to disappoint but it's beyond my ability to provide much of anything of real value at this point. That's just the way it is. There's not even any tackling going on yet. That still is a part of football, right? This is practice, people, and the No. 1 objective out there is not getting people hurt. Answers will begin coming come Saturday during the intrasquad scrimmage. Until then, thanks to all for participating///Bob

PackerBlues
07-31-2007, 04:29 PM
Ahman Green said time and time again, that he wanted to stay in GB. Ted just couldnt figure out a way to make that happen.

Ahman Green got a ridiculous deal from Houston...just as Rivera got a ridiculous deal from Dallas a few years back. Most NFL observers I've seen comment on the deal Ahman got have felt it was too costly when you consider Green's likely future performance over 3-4 years. He's not the back he was in 2003-2004.

It would have been foolish for Thompson to match the Houston deal. It would have been foolish for Green to not take the Houston deal. There is no hypocrisy from either side. Thompson doesn't like to overpay, and Green isn't going to turn down huge coin when this is his last chance to sign a big money deal.

No FA RBs were really worth much. Henry? McGahee? Lewis? If these guys were worth something significant, their former teams would be holding on to them. Instead, they are oft-injured and/or over-the-hill.

So why did Thompson go through the motions with Green? Was it just for show, or did he believe that our running game needed more? Dont brush this off with the old arguments about the rest of the free agents not being worth the money. Not when the Packers sit on 15 million in cap room.

I'm not sure what happened with Moss, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Moss was a short term option anyway...he wanted a one year deal so he could hit free agency in 2008. We would not have signed him long term after 2007.

While I agree that Moss would have been a short term option, he would have provided much needed help in the red zone. It is done and over with, but how do we look back on it? It is another example of Ted saying that he went after a guy, but couldnt get the deal done. Again, was Thompson just going through the motions, or is he still looking for veteran help to add depth at WR?

Before I string Thompson up, I'm willing to let his draft picks grow in the system. Simply writing a GM off because he doesn't go out and sign a bunch of "name" free agents is foolish. Daniel Snyder does that every year...and hasn't won squat. Yeah, they can "help" short-term, but they typically aren't a long-term solution.

No need to string Thompson up, however, there is also no need to ignore his failures or shortcomings. Hold him accountable, and hope that he makes up for his mistakes, and provides this team what it needs to win. Daniel Snyder would be a great example for you to use, but he is almost Thompsons exact opposite. I would settle for something in the middle from a GM.

If you want to whine and moan about buying free agents, name an NFL champion that won after purchasing at least 1/3 of their starting lineup in free agency. You'll be looking for awhile...because nearly all champions typically develop well over 50% of their starting lineup from drafted talent.

Whine and moan..........that sounds an aweful lot like bitch and moan. WAM?

As far as your stats or figures for the amount of free agent players used on championship teams, .............I would be interested in seeing your source for that little tidbit of knowledge.

Zool
07-31-2007, 04:42 PM

She's a lot better than your sister isn't she?

RashanGary
07-31-2007, 04:53 PM
McGinn is a pretty rational guy. His interview was a little brash, but if his job is to ask the questions that fans want to hear, he did his job and did it well. Sounds to me like he respects TT. It's nice to see that he wasn't out there thinking he knew all of the answers.

woodbuck27
07-31-2007, 05:18 PM
McGinn is a pretty rational guy. His interview was a little brash, but if his job is to ask the questions that fans want to hear, he did his job and did it well. Sounds to me like he respects TT. It's nice to see that he wasn't out there thinking he knew all of the answers.

If he really likes TT then the interview questions would have been less harsh.

If he liked TT he would have run a practise interview before the real one. So that TT would have been able to come across as something even approaching competence. :)

By the way I responded to every question that TT faced earlier today (your earlier post JH) but my session alert went off so it went all for naught.

It was just the same ole same ole anyway. Enough heat to roast a bear.

I've not got a lot to go on that I see commendable in this GM of ours as yet.

He reminds me of swamp water. :)

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2007, 05:24 PM
I'm guessing that he neither likes nor dislikes Thompson. Just being the tough reporter and asking the tough questions. Tough questions are fine. This was the meat grinder. Then again, Thompson still didn't give him anything.

Thick skinned. Single minded. Stoic. Quiet. At peace with himself and his team. He is doing things his way. If it doesn't work, he will be asked to leave. He knows that. Everyone knows that. And that's the way it goes.

Doesn't sound like somebody he likes or dislikes to me.

The Leaper
08-01-2007, 08:14 AM
So why did Thompson go through the motions with Green? Was it just for show, or did he believe that our running game needed more? Dont brush this off with the old arguments about the rest of the free agents not being worth the money. Not when the Packers sit on 15 million in cap room.

Thompson did not brush off Green. I believe he wanted to keep Green...but at a fair price. When Houston comes in and throws ridiculous money at a guy who had what some considered a "career-ending" caliber injury a couple years ago...and did not show the same All-Pro caliber play last season...what can you do?

While I agree that Moss would have been a short term option, he would have provided much needed help in the red zone. It is done and over with, but how do we look back on it? It is another example of Ted saying that he went after a guy, but couldnt get the deal done. Again, was Thompson just going through the motions, or is he still looking for veteran help to add depth at WR?

This deal does raise questions...because of things said by Packer brass surrounding the draft. It seemed like they wanted to do the deal...and thought they had a deal...and then let it get away. I was openly critical of Thompson's handling of the situation...but I don't think it means we should run him out of town yet, because as I pointed out it was only a one year fling at best anyway. If he screwed up a chance to land a young impact player like that, I'd be far more upset.

No need to string Thompson up, however, there is also no need to ignore his failures or shortcomings. Hold him accountable, and hope that he makes up for his mistakes, and provides this team what it needs to win.

I agree...but hold him accountable for what? The team may improve and be a playoff contender in 2007. The fact of the matter is we do not know what the Packers will become this year. Until we do...until we see the same red zone struggles...until we see an anemic running game...we have nothing to hold Thompson accountable for. I suppose the TE position is the only failure that Thompson should really be taken to task for. Otherwise, there are young players in place that Thompson is hoping will continue to develop.

That is why I am so shocked that McGinn went after Thompson's throat. Sure, if the team struggles to a 2-4 start, then I could see jumping all over him. But at the start of training camp? It just makes no sense to me when you consider the youth and growth on the roster that we just can't project forward from last year so easily. The potential exists for this team to exceed expectations...which would make McGinn look like an idiot.

Partial
08-01-2007, 12:05 PM

She's a lot better than your sister isn't she?

:wink: :(

TheRaven
08-02-2007, 07:35 AM
I have no problem with the questions or the answers. The interviewer can choose to ask the questions he feels are important and the interviewee can choose how to best answer them.

The answer of TT I will disagree with is not looking to the past to analyze what he has done. I feel it is important in any walk of life to learn from your mistakes.

However, I do agree with a lot of things TT has done, which is to flesh out our drafts and to be cautious in the FA market.

woodbuck27
08-02-2007, 09:42 AM

Yup. This will be a telling season in regards to a real assessment of where we really are.

Maybe TT is hanging onto all that CAP $ because Favre will be back in 2008 and he'll need it to re-tool our team.

We have to be aware that soon there will be major concerns at CB soon as Woodson's and Harris's age presents imminent problems.

FA CB's of worth don't come on the cheap and draft picks have to develop even in our system.

Clifton and Tauscher are getting up there too.

The major players will all soon be gone. Add three years to the ages of those four and Donald Driver.

DAM ! Ted Thompson may be able to point to the roles those five plus Favre have played and stake himself to a two - three year extention.

Our GM. the silent partner. :)

GO PACKERS !!

Carolina_Packer
08-02-2007, 12:47 PM
I'm sure TT has dealt with McGinn a few times, and knows his style, so while he might not have had the questions sent ahead of time, he probably knew he was going to get some gotcha type questions. I don't think TT is "owed" any respect, any more than McGinn is "owed" forthcoming answers. If TT chooses to protect information about transactions that never were, who really cares? You can read conspiratorial things into it, or just someone who minds their words, and seems to figure nothing good can come of talking about what might have been, in fact, some bad things might happen, so why do it? I, at least, give credit to TT for not being a defensive guy. He really seem to just deflect the implied criticism that was laced in McGinn's questions.

Is he too close to the vest with some information? Perhaps, but really, the only thing I care about is W and the L column, and whether the team is in good standing and continued heading towards better standing. EVERY team/franchise goes through a down period. The teams that are on top now will go through down periods at some point in time. It's cyclical.

What choice do we have but sit back and wait for TT's plan to play out. I'm sure he knows without any of us, or seemingly smug sports writers getting all over him that he is expected to produce W's for the franchise and build a strong, talented team. We all want to win now, and look good on paper. That's not always possible, but if these guys exceed expectations, will some of the nay sayers come back and give credit where credit is due, or will it just be everyone but TT to credit?