PDA

View Full Version : Tory Humphrey broke his leg ... was Bubba in the area?

the_idle_threat
07-29-2007, 02:15 AM
Notes: Humphrey injures left leg

Tight end suffers broken fibula

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=639355

By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: July 28, 2007

Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers suffered a significant blow to their tight end position on the first day of training camp practice.

Tory Humphrey, whom coach Mike McCarthy singled out last week as having one of the better off-seasons on the team, suffered a significant left leg injury and will be sidelined for several weeks.

According to a source familiar with the injury, X-rays showed he suffered a broken fibula, the smaller of the two bones in the lower leg. There's a chance Humphrey will undergo further medical tests to determine whether he suffered any tissue damage in the ankle.

The 6-foot-2, 250-pound Humphrey was working behind starter Donald Lee and was considered a good candidate for playing time this year, possibly ahead of veteran Bubba Franks. Though the shortest of the legitimate contenders for the job, he has speed down the field and isn't afraid to block someone.

Losing Humphrey on the first day of practice wasn't exactly the way McCarthy wanted to start camp.

"Individually, you feel bad for Tory because of the type of spring he's had," said McCarthy, who was unaware of the severity of the injury when he spoke with reporters. "I feel bad for him, but once again, it's a part of our game. It's unfortunate, but it gives other guys opportunities.

"You hate to see something like that happen anytime, but more important, on the first day."

Humphrey was blocking on the left side of the line during a running play when he got hurt. McCarthy said Humphrey was not clustered with other players and appeared to be out in space when he went down.

The top three tight ends on the depth chart are Lee, Franks and Zac Alcorn. Lee continues to work ahead of Franks, who is going to need a great camp to regain his starting position. Lee took the majority of snaps on the first day and said he was trying to take advantage of every opportunity.

"I'm just trying to make the best of the reps that I get," Lee said.

Humphrey's injury could take four weeks or more to heal depending on the severity. That will limit his opportunity to show he belongs on the field, but the Packers also have a pretty good feel for what kind of player he is.

Humphrey joined the Packers late in the 2005 season and has played in eight games since. He has played mostly on special teams and has not caught a pass.

the_idle_threat
07-29-2007, 02:16 AM
Tough break ... :rs: ... especially on the first day.

My conspiracy question is ... was anybody watching Bubba? Maybe he has a new strategy to keep his job ...

Block 'em low! :twisted:

HarveyWallbangers
07-29-2007, 02:32 AM
This is never good. I hate to say it at this time, but Humphrey is the guy among the TE corps that least excited me. It sounds like they may only carry 3 TEs this year. I'm hoping Lee shows he belongs, and I'm more intrigued by Alcorn and Harris. Then there's Bubba. I think he's close to being done, but at least he's a decent blocker. Humphrey just always seemed limite because he's so short.

Bretsky
07-29-2007, 02:38 AM
This is never good. I hate to say it at this time, but Humphrey is the guy among the TE corps that least excited me. It sounds like they may only carry 3 TEs this year. I'm hoping Lee shows he belongs, and I'm more intrigued by Alcorn and Harris. Then there's Bubba. I think he's close to being done, but at least he's a decent blocker. Humphrey just always seemed limite because he's so short.

Agree completely. Still a sad group IMO, but this is no big loss

Rastak
07-29-2007, 02:45 AM

Agree completely. Still a sad group IMO, but this is no big loss

Hey I agree with both you guys, but if I'm Tory and I just broke my leg and maybe tore up my ankle ( I sympathize ) and I read "no big loss" I gotta be bummed!

gbpackfan
07-29-2007, 07:28 AM
Too bad TT didnt go after C. Anderson, he signed with Miami.

Packnut
07-29-2007, 08:12 AM
Going into this season with what we have at TE is just mind-boggling. Failing to upgrade at this position is just plain ridiculous.

Fred's Slacks
07-29-2007, 08:13 AM
Too bad TT didnt go after C. Anderson, he signed with Miami.
He might have. Anderson was claimed off waivers, and I'm pretty sure Miami had waiver priority over us. So TT may have tried to claim him but lost out. We'll never know.

Fred's Slacks
07-29-2007, 08:16 AM
Going into this season with what we have at TE is just mind-boggling. Failing to upgrade at this position is just plain ridiculous.
I'm a TT fan but this I agree with. With possibly the worst TE group in the league, all we add is a 7th round pick? Not good.

CaliforniaCheez
07-29-2007, 08:38 AM
I didn't see enough of Humphrey last year to form an opinion on him as a player. It happens this year also.

My opinion is that he would not be able to play until November 1. Even after healing he would have to get back into shape to get on the field. Too long to be kept on the roster.

I don't know if the Packers will give him an injury settlement and his release or place him on the IR.

sepporepi
07-29-2007, 09:36 AM
What happend might be the best for him finacially. :evil:

They can't cut him now. He will get his salary the whole season or a nice injury settlement and try somewhere else. Better than to be cut on the final roster reduction and get nothing.

KYPack
07-29-2007, 09:37 AM
This is never good. I hate to say it at this time, but Humphrey is the guy among the TE corps that least excited me. It sounds like they may only carry 3 TEs this year.

Well, we had 5 TE's on the roster briefly, last year. 3 might be an improvement. This position gives me trouble, too. The only improvement I've seen in 3 years is gettin' rid of Ben Steele.

The '05 draft was very rich in potential TE's and we basically sat that one out. Why?

I'm getting more and more nervous about the front office.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-29-2007, 10:15 AM
Are TE's suck. At least at strong safety there are a lot of good prospects, but this group is just bad, Detroit lions bad.

MJZiggy
07-29-2007, 10:18 AM
If one of the RB prospects doesn't make it, can we just switch him over to TE? I've heard they can all catch...

Scott Campbell
07-29-2007, 10:26 AM
Are TE's suck. At least at strong safety there are a lot of good prospects, but this group is just bad, Detroit lions bad.

This group looks like it can be improved by picking up another teams castoff. Unless one of these guys really surprises us, I have a hard time believing that this is it?

oregonpackfan
07-29-2007, 03:27 PM

This group looks like it can be improved by picking up another teams castoff. Unless one of these guys really surprises us, I have a hard time believing that this is it?

I agree with Scott's post. The Packers may have to pick up another team's castoff come late August. The current TE position is a glaring Achilles Heel in the Packers' outlook.

MadtownPacker
07-29-2007, 03:40 PM
OK now TT has to make a move because this position is looking from questionable to bad.

retailguy
07-29-2007, 03:43 PM
OK now TT has to make a move because this position is looking from questionable to bad.

Don't worry MTP, the 2008 NFL draft is only about 200 days away! If the board falls correctly, he WILL fill the hole.

PackerBlues
07-29-2007, 04:04 PM

Don't worry MTP, the 2008 NFL draft is only about 200 days away! If the board falls correctly, he WILL fill the hole.

heh heh, there is that desperate desire at the back of your mind that wants to ask "What about Free Agents?". Then you face reality, realize that we are talking about Ted Thompson here, and go back to dreams of next years draft.

What about trades though? (Maybe Ted could trade off Bubba and Lee for a 7th round pick in next years draft. HA!)

MJZiggy
07-29-2007, 04:10 PM
:roll:

Rastak
07-29-2007, 04:12 PM
As Harvey mentioned, maybe that 7th round pick steps up. Maybe your sideline reporter JH can watch him and see how he looks.

retailguy
07-29-2007, 04:58 PM

So tell us MJ, who is going to step up? Is a trade possible? What TE is likely to be cut that'll help us?

Best one - WHO is the starter on opening day? and Will TE be a "strength" or a "weak area" in 2007?

MJZiggy
07-29-2007, 05:07 PM
heh heh, there is that desperate desire at the back of your mind that wants to ask "What about Free Agents?". Then you face reality, realize that we are talking about Ted Thompson here, and go back to dreams of next years draft.

What about trades though? (Maybe Ted could trade off Bubba and Lee for a 7th round pick in next years draft. HA!)

I was rolling my eyes at this--the notion that there is no possible WAY he'd consider a FA which we all (especially Woodson and Pickett) know isn't true. I don't know who we'll be able to pick up later in the offseason. All the teams have to make roster cuts beginning on Aug. 8. Who has an overloaded TE corps this offseason. I would think that's where you'd start to look for possible cuts. It wouldn't be the first time we acquired a player that way.

retailguy
07-29-2007, 05:09 PM

I was rolling my eyes at this--the notion that there is no possible WAY he'd consider a FA which we all (especially Woodson and Pickett) know isn't true. I don't know who we'll be able to pick up later in the offseason. All the teams have to make roster cuts beginning on Aug. 8. Who has an overloaded TE corps this offseason. I would think that's where you'd start to look for possible cuts. It wouldn't be the first time we acquired a player that way.

I knew what you were rolling your eyes at, that's why I asked the question. Do you think that someone else's castoffs are better than what we've got? Who is going to start? Internal or External?

MJZiggy
07-29-2007, 05:19 PM
I'll tell you when we have a final roster in place. To try and name a starter in July would be a waste of bandwidth...

retailguy
07-29-2007, 05:23 PM
I'll tell you when we have a final roster in place. To try and name a starter in July would be a waste of bandwidth...

Are you related to Scott? There is more to life than just criticizing others. You seem to have no problems doing that.

And, waiting till the end of TC to go on the record means you need to spend 5 minutes looking at the depth chart. Way to go out on a limb there....:roll:

Quite honestly, I'm not really worried about TE. I think Bubba will start, because they'll need him to block. In double TE sets, bubba will block and Lee will try to get out there as a safety valve for Favre, but until this offense establishes a running game the play of the TE is not that important, other than having the extra blocker.

At least I'm willing to "go on the record" BEFORE I criticize others... I'm disappointed in you, quite honestly, but hey, go waste 6800 other posts of bandwidth... :roll:

MJZiggy
07-29-2007, 05:47 PM

Are you related to Scott? There is more to life than just criticizing others. You seem to have no problems doing that.

And, waiting till the end of TC to go on the record means you need to spend 5 minutes looking at the depth chart. Way to go out on a limb there....:roll:

Quite honestly, I'm not really worried about TE. I think Bubba will start, because they'll need him to block. In double TE sets, bubba will block and Lee will try to get out there as a safety valve for Favre, but until this offense establishes a running game the play of the TE is not that important, other than having the extra blocker.

At least I'm willing to "go on the record" BEFORE I criticize others... I'm disappointed in you, quite honestly, but hey, go waste 6800 other posts of bandwidth... :roll:

Please find me the post where I've criticized you or anyone else.

retailguy
07-29-2007, 05:52 PM
Please find me the post where I've criticized you or anyone else.

Look in this thread... Rolling eyes at someone who thinks that Thompson won't pick up a free agent is NOT criticizing? C'mon, you aren't stupid.

You believe Thompson WILL sign free agents, he believes they won't. He expressed his opinion, you said expressing yours in July was a "WASTE OF BANDWIDTH".

Get the splinters out of your ass, jump off the fence and waste some more bandwidth. I dare you. (and if you're worried about MTP's depleted wallet, I will personally compensate him for any "bandwidth" you waste actually expressing your OWN opinion.)

MJZiggy
07-29-2007, 06:02 PM
I never said he will. I don't predict what he's gonna do because I don't know him and can't make that prediction. Funny thing is, no one else on this board does either. I didn't roll my eyes at him, I rolled them at the notion that because it happens to be TT in charge of this team that there is no possiblity that a free agent or anyone else might be brought in. And since when is calling a nonexistant post a waste of bandwidth criticizing anyone?

I have expressed my opinion on this forum countless times. It just depends on if anyone was listening...

retailguy
07-29-2007, 06:09 PM
I never said he will. I don't predict what he's gonna do because I don't know him and can't make that prediction. Funny thing is, no one else on this board does either. I didn't roll my eyes at him, I rolled them at the notion that because it happens to be TT in charge of this team that there is no possiblity that a free agent or anyone else might be brought in. And since when is calling a nonexistant post a waste of bandwidth criticizing anyone?

I have expressed my opinion on this forum countless times. It just depends on if anyone was listening...

And that's the beauty of the rolled eyes icon with no words. You can say it means anything...

Sorry, I don't buy it. (As if you care). I took it to mean you thought his perspective was ridiculous and that you've heard it over and over again before. I'm still waiting to hear what you think should be done.

I don't know what Thompson will do either. But based on prior events, I think it is more likely we'll play with the guys we have now, then we will acquire someone else before game 1. Somehow I don't think that's an unreasonable perspective or expectation. Oh, and by the way, I'm not afraid to guess either.

MJZiggy
07-29-2007, 06:12 PM
You just quoted where I thought we should begin. Were you listening or looking for something else?

Joemailman
07-29-2007, 06:13 PM

So tell us MJ, who is going to step up? Is a trade possible? What TE is likely to be cut that'll help us?

Best one - WHO is the starter on opening day? and Will TE be a "strength" or a "weak area" in 2007?

I'll go out on the proverbial limb and say that Lee will be the starter. He had 33 catches in 2005 while starting only 5 games. He certainly has more upside than Bubba at this point. The Humphrey injury is a bit of a yawner to me. I kind of figured the 3 TE's would be Lee, Franks and Alcorn. This position won't be a strength, but shouldn't be the disaster that last year was.

retailguy
07-29-2007, 06:24 PM
You just quoted where I thought we should begin. Were you listening or looking for something else?

Yeah. Ok. Whatever. What I read said you couldn't predict anything b/c you dont' know him. I didn't know you 'knew' packerblues either. I see no prediction or suggestions, or belief on what will happen on a re-read. Maybe I'll put the post into babelfish and see if I can find it in spanish or french.

After the final depth chart comes out, just give me your final prediction, OK? That way you can be sure, it'll match the 'popular' opinion.

retailguy
07-29-2007, 06:25 PM

I'll go out on the proverbial limb and say that Lee will be the starter. He had 33 catches in 2005 while starting only 5 games. He certainly has more upside than Bubba at this point. The Humphrey injury is a bit of a yawner to me. I kind of figured the 3 TE's would be Lee, Franks and Alcorn. This position won't be a strength, but shouldn't be the disaster that last year was.

I really enjoyed watching Lee that season. I don't really understand what happened since. I think it's more likely that he'll be a threat between the 20's, something Bubba never was, even when he was a touchdown machine.

Joe, do you think the TE's will be freed from blocking responsibilities?

the_idle_threat
07-29-2007, 06:56 PM
Gee folks---way to panic over a short-term injury to a scrub! What are we gonna do now??? :lol:

This guy was a longshot to begin with, and the article says he'll miss something like 4 weeks. He'll be healthy in time to make the practice squad, which is where he was probably gonna be anyway.

Scott Campbell
07-29-2007, 07:18 PM
I'm disappointed in you, quite honestly, but hey, go waste 6800 other posts of bandwidth... :roll:

WTF is wrong with you?

retailguy
07-29-2007, 07:19 PM
I'm disappointed in you, quite honestly, but hey, go waste 6800 other posts of bandwidth... :roll:

WTF is wrong with you?

I don't know, perhaps I've been hanging out with you?

falco
07-29-2007, 07:30 PM

I really enjoyed watching Lee that season. I don't really understand what happened since. I think it's more likely that he'll be a threat between the 20's, something Bubba never was, even when he was a touchdown machine.

As good as Lee was that year, I just remember Favre catching him wide open on that post route on the goal line and the ball just bouncing right out of his hands...

Joemailman
07-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Gee folks---way to panic over a short-term injury to a scrub! What are we gonna do now??? :lol:

This guy was a longshot to begin with, and the article says he'll miss something like 4 weeks. He'll be healthy in time to make the practice squad, which is where he was probably gonna be anyway.

It may be a minor point, but I don't believe that players who have spent an entire season on a 53 man roster are eligible for the practice squad. They will likely have to put him on the active roster, release him and offer an injury settlement, or put him on IR.

the_idle_threat
07-29-2007, 08:41 PM
I didn't realize he was on the active roster all of last season. That's kind of sad, in a couple of ways.

HarveyWallbangers
07-29-2007, 08:41 PM
I think they changed the PS rules. I think anybody with 2 years of service or less can go on the practice squad.

Joemailman
07-29-2007, 08:42 PM

That will depend on MM's level of confidence in the OL's ability to protect Favre. MM wants to reduce the TE's pass-blocking responsibilities, and I think he will, but time will tell. Offensive improvement will depend largely on the play of the OL.

Fritz
07-30-2007, 09:59 AM
When Tory Humphrey's injury qualifies as big news, that says a lot about how poor the talent is at that position.