PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Jolly

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2006, 08:54 AM
Late pick may need surgery
Texas A&M's Jolly has ankle injury
By TODD ROSIAK and LORI NICKEL

Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers rolled the dice a bit by selecting Texas A&M defensive tackle Johnny Jolly with the first of their two sixth-round picks
The 6-foot-3, 317-pound Jolly injured an ankle just a few days before the NFL scouting combine in March, according to agent Brian Overstreet, and there's a good possibility he'll require surgery to correct the condition.

"I don't think it's anything but a scope. He's not having, like, major ankle surgery," Overstreet said. "It's something that'll keep him out a couple weeks. It's a high ankle (sprain) that has a few bone fragments. They just have to go in with a scope and clean it out. One of my other clients that plays for the Steelers had a similar injury, Casey Hampton, and he was out maybe two weeks. He was running full-speed in three weeks, 3½ weeks."

Coach Mike McCarthy indicated that the Packers were aware of the injury before selecting Jolly and that it was a factor in his falling to the Packers in the sixth round.

"Jolly's a good football player. He's had an injury, (which) is why he has slipped," McCarthy said. "But you watch him on film, he's a very active player. Plays with excellent balance. And I think he'll have a chance to compete for an inside position."

Jolly, who started every game for the Aggies last season, ran a 5.10-second 40-yard dash at 310 pounds before the 2005 season, but clocked a 5.41 and registered a broad jump of 8 feet 8 inches at the combine after deciding to take part despite the injury. He chose not to do the vertical jump, shuttle run or bench press.

"It put him in a situation where initially he wasn't going to work out, but being the competitor that he is he had been working out the whole time. He wanted to work out," said Overstreet, who also represents Packers and former Texas A&M players Robert Ferguson and Mike Montgomery. "What do you do, not work out and have no numbers or work out and have poor numbers? It was kind of a Catch-22. He had first-day draft status."

ND72
05-01-2006, 09:14 AM
I like J.J. and hope he'll be set come training camp.

imscott72
05-01-2006, 09:36 AM
I like J.J. and hope he'll be set come training camp.

Yeah we may have gotten a steal here because of the injury. He was 2nd round material and slipped bigtime. Lets hope this materializes.

mraynrand
05-01-2006, 11:00 AM
"Jolly, who started every game for the Aggies last season, ran a 5.10-second 40-yard dash at 310 pounds before the 2005 season, but clocked a 5.41 and registered a broad jump of 8 feet 8 inches at the combine after deciding to take part despite the injury. He chose not to do the vertical jump, shuttle run or bench press. "

-----

Why didn't he do the bench press with a bum ankle? That makes no sense.

Chubbyhubby
05-01-2006, 12:53 PM
The Polar Bear got a guy from the North Pole and a guy named Jolly got to love it!!!

RashanGary
05-01-2006, 12:57 PM
WOW.....This sounds like a great pick up...Every day that goes by this draft is looking stronger and stronger...He's gonna have a chip on his shoulder too.

Pickett, Cole, Jenkins, C. Williams, Jolly
KGB, Kamp, Montgomery, maybe the 2nd rounder...

Washington is a good bet to be cut I think....

Murphy37
05-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Johnny Jolly, this is Chubby Hubby, Chubby Hubby, this is Johnny Jolly. Sounds like two Ben and Jerry Ice cream flavors.

Guiness
05-01-2006, 01:24 PM
Why didn't he do the bench press with a bum ankle? That makes no sense.

Ever watch a guy doing serious reps (i.e. to exhaustion) on the bench?

You use your whole body, arching your back, driving with your hips to get everything you can out of it. Not good form for building strength, but you'll get some extra reps.

So he probably didn't to the bench because he knew he'd be half a dozen or so reps below what he was capable of.

mraynrand
05-01-2006, 01:26 PM
But he did the 40 and the broad jump. I lift weights and yeah, I maintain balance with feet on the floor.. ah what the hell.. who cares.

Iron Mike
05-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Johnny Jolly, this is Chubby Hubby, Chubby Hubby, this is Johnny Jolly. Sounds like two Ben and Jerry Ice cream flavors.

Sounds to me like CW McCall in "Convoy" :razz:

Deputy Nutz
05-01-2006, 01:38 PM
WOW.....This sounds like a great pick up...Every day that goes by this draft is looking stronger and stronger...He's gonna have a chip on his shoulder too.

Who the hell did they get in the second round?

Guiness
05-01-2006, 01:46 PM
But he did the 40 and the broad jump. I lift weights and yeah, I maintain balance with feet on the floor.. ah what the hell.. who cares.

He did the broad jump and 40 at the combine? Probably a bad decision.

They say his 40 time went from 5.1 before the season (no injury, I assume) to 5.4 at the combine. Maybe he thought his ankle was ok, ran, realized he was hurting more than he thought and decided not to do anything else that might hurt his draft status more do you like this long run-on sentence I think I can go for a while yet.

mraynrand
05-01-2006, 01:52 PM
"They say his 40 time went from 5.1 before the season (no injury, I assume) to 5.4 at the combine. Maybe he thought his ankle was ok, ran, realized he was hurting more than he thought and decided not to do anything else that might hurt his draft status more do you like this long run-on sentence I think I can go for a while yet."

----

I surrender!

Guiness
05-01-2006, 02:20 PM
Not trying to be contrary! Actually trying to reason it out myself. You really threw me a curveball when you pointed out that he ran and jumped :?

Chubbyhubby
05-01-2006, 02:47 PM

Who the hell did they get in the second round?

His name is Daryn Colledge OT he lives at the north pole in the off season. Perfect pick for the team that plays at the "FROZEN TUNDRA"

mraynrand
05-01-2006, 06:20 PM
"His name is Daryn Colledge OT he lives at the north pole in the off season. Perfect pick for the team that plays at the "FROZEN TUNDRA""
----

Just imagine how warmed over this factoid will be by middle of next season if the guy starts. You know Berman won't let it go. I can just hear the "third tier" announcers on FOX (like Ron Pitts) with their fake chuckles as they say something like "Well, Ron, you know he's from the North Pole, so he should be well prepared for the Frozne Tundra of Lambeau Field. Ha ha." "Chortle, Chortle"

AAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! !!

RashanGary
05-01-2006, 07:00 PM
I meant 7th rounder....

Partial
05-01-2006, 09:38 PM
Does anyone think this guy can be effective on our team? I know nothing about him.

Has anyone seen him play more than once or twice?

Chubbyhubby
05-01-2006, 10:32 PM
I meant 7th rounder....

His name is Dave Tollefson DE Project fast guy that can rush passer.

MJZiggy
05-01-2006, 10:37 PM
Dave Tollefson Grade: 2.67
Position: DE
Class: Sr
School:
Conference: -
Ht., Wt.: 6-4, 255
40 Time: 4.74
Selected by: Green Bay Packers
Round 7, pick 45 (253 overall)
Grading System

BIO: All-Conference and All-America selection as a senior after posting 58/16.5/12.5. Junior totals included 48/13/8.5. Has a long injury history which includes foot and shoulder problems.

POSITIVES: Hard-working defensive end with solid size/speed numbers. Diagnoses the action, plays with good pad level and is rarely off his feet. Displays an inside move and keeps his feet moving up the field. Makes plays up and down the line of scrimmage, pursuing the action to the flanks.

NEGATIVES: Slowed by blocks, has trouble defending the run and lacks top first-step quickness.

ANALYSIS: Size potential and the ability to make plays behind the line of scrimmage are Tollefson's greatest features, though durability issues are a major concern.

PROJECTION: Undrafted Free Agent

MJZiggy
05-01-2006, 10:39 PM
OVERLAND PARK, Kan. – Northwest Missouri State senior defensive end Dave Tollefson (Concord, Calif.) was recognized as the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association (MIAA) Defensive Player of the Week for his efforts on Sept. 17. His award marks the first of his career and the second consecutive week a Northwest football player won the honor. Sophomore Ryan Waters was the MIAA Defensive Player of the Week on Sept. 10.

A 6-4, 270 pound second-year player at Northwest, Tollefson came up .5 sacks shy of the single-game school record of 4.5 set in 1995. Tollefson posted 4.0 sacks and six total tackles in the 31-21 win at Missouri Western. Tollefson now stands with 15.5 career sacks, good for third on the school charts, and six away from Eric Petersen's total of 21.5 set during three seasons. (1989-1991)

The transfer from Los Medanos (Calif.) Community College blocked a Griffon punt attempt, his first at Northwest, in the first quarter which sparked the Bearcats initial score of the contest. He also added two quarterback hurries and a pass break-up.

Tollefson and his defensive teammates held Missouri Western to 99 passing yards (234 total), the least amount through the air since Missouri Southern had 92 on Oct. 18, 2003.