PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy's Vision Crystal Clear

Bretsky
07-29-2007, 02:45 PM
Mike Vandermause column: McCarthy's vision is crystal clear

What you see is what you get with Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy.
If you're looking for flash and sizzle, you have the wrong man. If you want a self-promoter, you won't find it here. McCarthy never will make the cover of GQ for his practice attire, and he doesn't care. He's too busy researching, organizing, planning and carrying out his vision for the Packers.

"We're going to win the world's championship here in Green Bay again," McCarthy said. "That's the view. That's the vision."

McCarthy kicked off his second Packers training camp Saturday at Clarke Hinkle Field with that in mind. He has no time for anything that gets in the way of that goal. When asked how he was different with a year of experience under his belt, McCarthy replied: "I've got less hair."

McCarthy refuses to take himself too seriously. Then again, he's all business when it comes to his team. "The vision has been confirmed, the course we're taking," he said. "I think our program is in place. The foundation is solid, and we need to start seeing the dividends of our offseason program show up in the production of our football team."

McCarthy is detail-oriented to a fault. After Saturday's practice, he knew his team finished exactly 13 minutes ahead of schedule. He knew the offense committed six pre-snap penalties. He knew his receivers dropped four passes. He knew Brett Favre's pass count was in the low-40s.

Clearly, McCarthy has a grasp of what's happening with his team. He also appears to have enthusiastic support in the locker room.

"What everyone really respects about Coach McCarthy is how he analyzes himself and analyzes everything we do and tries to make it better," linebacker A.J. Hawk said.

What players seem to like best is McCarthy lets them know exactly where they stand. "I really appreciate that about him as a coach," said Pro Bowl defensive end Aaron Kampman, "because he doesn't really mince words. It's kind of like, 'This is where you're at' or 'This is what's going on.'

"As a man, that's really what you appreciate. Most guys just want to know what's going on. When you communicate, there's no more questions. It's out in the open."

Running back Noah Herron said McCarthy not only preaches good communication, but carries it out. "As a player, that's probably the best thing, if you feel like you can go and talk to your head coach," he said.
Veteran Rob Davis is playing for his fourth coach in Green Bay. He knows a good thing when he sees it, and has nothing but respect for McCarthy.

"He's a Pittsburgh guy, so he wants a tough, hard-nosed football team," Davis said. "And he wants to make it ugly. He wants it to be physical. He wants to be known as one of the physical teams in this league. I can respect a lot of things about what Mike's talking about."

McCarthy refuses to get bogged down in things he can't control, such as injuries, or contract issues, including his own. He's in the second year of a three-year contract, and you would think he'd be feeling the pressure to produce. You would be wrong.

"I've never coached any differently regardless of what year I was in my contract," he said. "I don't sweat that." Instead, McCarthy has a one-track mind. "All my energy and focus goes on winning the world's championship," he said.

GrnBay007
07-29-2007, 03:02 PM
When asked how he was different with a year of experience under his belt, McCarthy replied: "I've got less hair."

sense of humor! ...he probably found some gray too!!

McCarthy has a one-track mind. "All my energy and focus goes on winning the world's championship," he said.

Gotta love that statement....even if you only take your kool-aid by the teaspoon. :P

Bretsky
07-29-2007, 03:11 PM
When asked how he was different with a year of experience under his belt, McCarthy replied: "I've got less hair."

sense of humor! ...he probably found some gray too!!

McCarthy has a one-track mind. "All my energy and focus goes on winning the world's championship," he said.

Gotta love that statement....even if you only take your kool-aid by the teaspoon. :P

Mine is in the dropper, but agree that is was a great interview and I have a lot of good impressions at this point about MM