PDA

View Full Version : Bears land Darwin Walker in trade from Bills

Dabaddestbear
07-29-2007, 03:14 PM
http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=3631

Bears land veteran defensive tackle Walker
By Larry Mayer

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. – The Bears on Sunday bolstered their defensive line by acquiring veteran nose tackle Darwin Walker from the Buffalo Bills in exchange for an undisclosed pick in the 2008 NFL Draft.

Darwin Walker smothers Green Bay Packers running back Ahman Green.
Walker appeared in 87 games with 75 starts the past six seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles, recording 264 tackles, 27½ sacks, five forced fumbles and five fumble recoveries.

In 2006, the 6-3, 294-pounder registered 56 tackles, six sacks and his first career interception while starting 15 of 16 games played for the Eagles. Walker then tied a Philadelphia post-season record with two sacks of Drew Brees in a playoff loss to the New Orleans Saints.

Walker was traded to the Bills March 26, but he never reported to training camp because he was seeking a long-term contract extension. Reportedly there was a stipulation in the trade that stated that Walker would be returned to the Eagles if no deal was completed by Aug. 5.

The situation is reminiscent of another trade the Bears made prior to Lovie Smith’s first season in 2004. In that deal, they sent receiver Marty Booker and a conditional draft pick to the Miami Dolphins in exchange for defensive end Adewale Ogunleye, also a training camp holdout.

Acquiring a quality nose tackle in Walker figures to help limit the number of double team blocks that Pro Bowler Tommie Harris typically attracts. Walker is expected to watch practice from the sideline Sunday afternoon and speak with the media.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a serious upgrade from Tank Johnson or any DT that ever played alongside of T. Harris with the Bears. A question mark and possible weakness has just became another strength on the Bears team.

MadtownPacker
07-29-2007, 03:38 PM
Good cuz you guys are gonna need all the help you can get.

Yo DBB, you said you was in WI right? Check out the game thread. You should come to the get together for the CHI@GB game. Im sure plenty of us would love to met you. :lol:

BEARMAN
07-29-2007, 03:55 PM
Tank will not be missed ! 8-)

Dabaddestbear
07-29-2007, 04:20 PM
Good cuz you guys are gonna need all the help you can get.

Yo DBB, you said you was in WI right? Check out the game thread. You should come to the get together for the CHI@GB game. Im sure plenty of us would love to met you. :lol:
I will consider that my friend. I dont know if I can disappoint the many packer fans at the sports bar that wish my first born to be stricken with a deadly illness after each game...lol.

pack4to84
07-29-2007, 06:06 PM
This might be the righting on the wall for Tommy Harris. Another small DT at 294 no weight in your line doesn't bow well in mud or snow. Its possible Tommy isn't ready yet.

Rastak
07-29-2007, 06:14 PM
This might be the righting on the wall for Tommy Harris. Another small DT at 294 no weight in your line doesn't bow well in mud or snow. Its possible Tommy isn't ready yet.

Not sure, but picking up Walker for a 5th was probably a good move.

retailguy
07-29-2007, 06:30 PM

I thought if the guy went back to the Eagles they got a 4th? Was that not true? Why trade him for a 5th? Wow.

Dabaddestbear
07-29-2007, 06:33 PM
No Tommie is all go. This move was to get more depth behind Tommie. He is 100% healed and practicing at camp. Go to chicagobears.com to see the camp highlights. This just makes the Bears stronger at a position that needed depth after losing Tank. But like I said before, he is an upgrade over Tank.
Now the Bears have 2 run stuffing DT's to play at nose in Dusty and Adams and 2 pocket collapsers in Harris and Walker. Israel and Garay is the 4th and 5th DT's respectfully.

Depth Chart for the Bears at DT is as follows:
3tech NT
Tommie Dusty

Darwin Anthony

Izzy Antonio

HarveyWallbangers
07-29-2007, 06:42 PM
I think it's a good move. They are going to need to pay him. Wonder what he's looking for. He's starting to get mileage, but wanted an extension from the Bills. His contract issues were part of the reason the Eagles were looking to get rid of him for a second day draft pick.

run pMc
07-30-2007, 09:51 AM
It's a good move for CHI if they can sign him to a deal that makes him happy. If not, they've got another locker-room problem on their hands.
Walker still has some miles left, and he'll look good with all the other talent around him.

Brando19
07-30-2007, 03:20 PM
Need to change the title of the thread to the Bills...not Broncos. 8-)

Dabaddestbear
07-30-2007, 11:37 PM
Need to change the title of the thread to the Bills...not Broncos. 8-)
Thnx...and done.

Dabaddestbear
07-30-2007, 11:39 PM

I thought if the guy went back to the Eagles they got a 4th? Was that not true? Why trade him for a 5th? Wow.
They say on the Bears site that if his playing time will depend on if the Bills will get a 4th from the Bears instead of a 5th.