PDA

View Full Version : Top of the draft is crazy

Rastak
07-29-2007, 05:16 PM
Falsons paid Anderson 13% more than #8 last year. Snowball effect hits. Peterson get's paid (6 year deal which is voidable making it a 5 unless he's hurt or sucks in which case you'd wish it was 4....LOL)

Now this on Laundry from PFT.com....I wonder WTF Russell gets at #1?

PETERSON DEAL SLOWS DOWN LANDRY TALKS

Earlier today, it was reported that a deal between the Redskins and No. 6 overall pick LaRon Landry could come at any minute.

But now that the guy taken at No. 7 has been signed, the Landry deal necessarily will be delayed. Why? Because league insiders expect agent Joel Segal to get a copy of the Peterson and then use it as the floor for the Landry deal.

"Must be nice to get paid and not do any work," one league insider quipped.

Segal then can take the Landry deal and use it as the floor for the contract for another of his clients, Cardinals tackle Levi Brown, the No. 5 overall pick in the draft. (Thanks to the reader who pointed out to us today that Segal has both Landry at No. 6 and Brown at No. 5.)

Rastak
07-30-2007, 06:56 AM
from pft.com

'SKINS SIGN LARON

Multiple media reports indicate that the Washington Redskins have struck a deal with safety LaRon Landry, the No. 6 overall selection in the 2007 NFL draft.

Per Len Pasquarelli's well-primed pipeline to Joel Segal, thanks to Len's incessant propaganda campaign on behalf of Segal client Mike Vick, the contract is a five-year deal with $17.5 million in guaranteed money and a maximum value of $41.5 million.

Thus, as expected, Segal got his hands on a copy of the contract signed by Vikings running back Adrian Peterson at No. 7 and added a $500,000 increase in guaranteed money and $1 million in maximum value.

As we explained on Sunday night, Segal isn't expected to do the same thing with his next guy to do a deal, No. 5 pick Levi Brown, an offensive tackle drafted by the Cardinals. Arizona is insisting, we're told, on a six-year deal, and Segal is hoping to land a total value and a per-year average greater than the Browns paid to tackle Joe Thomas at No. 3.

GBRulz
07-30-2007, 07:16 AM
The top two picks in the draft are still not signed, right?

I am the first to admit of not being a big draft follower, but recent memory tells me that usually the first picks have their deals discussed before a team even picks them, don't they?

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-30-2007, 07:16 AM
Didn't Hawk only get 30-35 mil over 5 years? It seems like in just one year salaries have made a huge increase.

The Leaper
07-30-2007, 08:52 AM
Didn't Hawk only get 30-35 mil over 5 years? It seems like in just one year salaries have made a huge increase.

Some of that is the voidable years of these deals...numbers that look inflated now, but probably won't be 5 years from now...and money the player will never likely see from this contract.

BallHawk
07-30-2007, 01:29 PM
I am the first to admit of not being a big draft follower, but recent memory tells me that usually the first picks have their deals discussed before a team even picks them, don't they?

Last year, coming into the draft, the Texans basically had a deal with Mario. Once that happened, Bush's agents started talking with the Saints. However, Bush didn't sign with the Saints until July 30th.

CaliforniaCheez
07-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Just wait and see how much the vikings have to pay next year!!

With a spilt vs Detroit, a win against the Raiders, and a chance against the Redskins. The vikings are looking at a top three draft choice next year.

Rastak
07-30-2007, 04:29 PM

With a spilt vs Detroit, a win against the Raiders, and a chance against the Redskins. The vikings are looking at a top three draft choice next year.

They certainly have the cap space. I wouldn't be so sure they'll be top three although I concede the possibility.

Lurker64
07-30-2007, 05:46 PM

They certainly have the cap space. I wouldn't be so sure they'll be top three although I concede the possibility.

That first game against Atlanta might be important for draft tiebreakers. Also, it's likely going to be a very ugly game.

Rastak
07-30-2007, 05:48 PM

That first game against Atlanta might be important for draft tiebreakers. Also, it's likely going to be a very ugly game.

Three reasons I like the Vikes to win the home opener....

1) Home game
2) Joey
3) Harrinton.