PDA

View Full Version : Sanders Said What??????

packinpatland
07-29-2007, 08:21 PM
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/07/25/deion-sanders-i-believe-michael-vick-had-a-passion-for-dog-figh/

Deion Sanders: I Believe Michael Vick Had a Passion for Dog Fighting

The most exciting player in the history of the Atlanta Falcons wrote an op-ed in the Southwest Florida News-Press about the second-most exciting player in the history of the Atlanta Falcons. And Deion Sanders had some interesting -- and bizarre -- things to say about Michael Vick.

Check out Pro Football Talk for a good rundown of everything Sanders wrote, but I'll focus on just one passage:

"I believe Vick had a passion for dogfighting. I know many athletes who share his passion. The allure is the intensity and the challenge of a dog fighting to the death. It's like ultimate fighting, but the dog doesn't tap out when he knows he can't win.

It reminds me of when I wore a lot of jewelry back in the day because I always wanted to have the biggest chain or the biggest, baddest car. It gives you status."
First of all, it's interesting that Sanders says he believes Vick was involved in dog fighting. Almost every athlete and former athlete who has commented on the case has refused to state, point blank, that he believes Vick takes part in the cruel, barbaric and illegal activity. Sanders is an exception in that regard.

But secondly, dog fighting is a felony. If Sanders knows "many athletes" who have a passion for committing this felony, he should actively work with law enforcement agencies to help them prevent this felony from being committed. And he should stop suggesting that forcing dogs to maul each other to death is similar to wearing a lot of jewelry.

Rastak
07-29-2007, 08:25 PM
Packin, he is truly an idiot. Not because of these stupid comments but because of 100's of stupid comments. Tune in to NFL total access any time he is there and he'll do an editorial on something and his position will be so screwey you'll shake your head and ask yourself if his IQ is 5.

He is either a very stupid person or a guy with an agenda who can't figure out how to articulate it. I'm guessing the former.

Joemailman
07-29-2007, 08:32 PM
If Sanders is right, then Vick could just be the tip of the iceberg. Let's hope he's wrong.

Rastak
07-29-2007, 08:34 PM
If Sanders is right, then Vick could just be the tip of the iceberg. Let's hope he's wrong.

If he turned out to be right about anything I'd be shocked...have you listened to him much?

run pMc
07-30-2007, 10:00 AM
Deion is an idiot, but I'm not suprised by his comment that lots of athletes are into dogfighting...from some of the other stories written, other unnamed players/sources have said similar things. IIRC Peter King quoted Ronde Barber as saying that everyone in the NFL knows someone who's at least been to a dogfight.
As far as Deion's comment about presuming guilt...I think he's just trying to be sensational, even if that's what he really thinks. Between his Ron Mexico stuff and flipping off his own fans, I don't think highly of Vick, and dogfighting is disgusting, but he does have a right to his day in court.
From what I can tell he's been convicted in the court of public opinion...and that will haunt him for a long time.

packinpatland
07-30-2007, 10:15 AM
"It reminds me of when I wore a lot of jewelry back in the day because I always wanted to have the biggest chain or the biggest, baddest car. It gives you status."

How is wearing jewlery comparable to dog fighting in 'status'?
:roll:

oregonpackfan
07-30-2007, 11:45 AM
We all have to remember that Deion Sanders landed his announcer/journalist position on his flash(Neon Deion) rather than his substance.

The Packers' former fullback, William Henderson, is far more insightful and articulate than Deion will ever be. Henderson, however, never marketed or drew attention to himself. He was just a consummate team-oriented professional, both on and off the field.

Merlin
07-30-2007, 12:11 PM
Remember, it's all about STATUS. Status in what? IF a majority of the people think you are an idiot and a handful think you are the shit because of your whatever, then you have the status thing all backasswards...

Scott Campbell
07-30-2007, 12:30 PM
NFL Network puts hold on Deion column
By Ed Reed
Originally published on July 29, 2007

I’m sure you came to this space today looking for Deion Sanders’ column.

And he wrote one for you.

But we can’t publish it.

Due to contractual obligations, his full-time employer —the NFL Network — has the exclusive right to Deion’s image and opinions. They invoked that right this week.

The national backlash Deion received for his perceived defense of Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick and dismissal of dogfighting started on Thursday after ESPN Radio dissected his column. It just happened to be the same day Vick was in a Richmond, Va., court pleading not guilty to federal dogfighting charges.

Understandably, the NFL did not like that one of the faces of its network was being portrayed as a Vick apologist. Deion sent a column responding to the criticism to The News-Press and the NFL Network on Friday morning.

That night, I received an e-mail from Thomas George, the NFL Network managing editor, which read: “This column and subsequent variations of it (are) not approved by NFL Network. It cannot run.”

It’s unfortunate because Deion really wanted you to see it. It was his best work since he started writing his column in January.

Over the last seven months, I’ve heard a lot of feedback from readers on Deion.
No, he’s not the most polished writer. And he hasn’t always been an angel. And he does live in Texas.

What I can say is what he’s been like to deal with since I’ve met him.

He’s easy to talk to. He always has his column in on time. He never cusses, and he cares about his hometown.

That’s why the responses from Fort Myers bothered him so much. He had hoped his previous writings on race relations, children and family had shown his character and values. He was surprised that people, after reading the full column, saw him excusing Vick and condoning dogfighting or that he was sticking up for a rich athlete.

“The NFL is like a fraternity,” Sanders said when I interviewed him Friday. “The real issue to me is, I think anybody, if someone in their family has done wrong or is doing wrong or made a bad, terrible decision, do we stone them or do we pray for them? I definitely, absoluetly do not condone anything, but I am praying for him.”

But he can express none of that to you in his column.

Per his contract, the NFL Network could require him to stop writing his column.

But aside from this week’s column, they will permit Deion to continue writing for The News-Press. Deion writes on a freelance basis for us and we have no contract with him. He could have just walked away and focused on his TV career, but he does not want to.

I asked him why. His answer was simple: “It’s my hometown. I want to stay connected to my hometown.”

And we’re glad to have him.

Well, I'm glad you have him too. Because I sure don't want him.

Kiwon
07-30-2007, 06:49 PM
I would have given this article the headline, "The NFLN puts the muzzle on Deion."

The Gannett News Service entitled their article, "NFL Network intercepts Deion's attempt to write about Vick."

Deion has got to learn that most dog lovers are not interested in speculation over the motivations of why Michael Vick did what he did. What Vick allegedly did was inhumane and the exact opposite of how a responsible person treats a animal.

Emotionally, "dogs" in general are linked by most dog lovers to their pet at home that they love. Michael Vick is a monster to them. The NFLN understands this and had to put the brakes on Deion before he published a second article defending himself and answering the criticisms he received and began another PR problem for the NFL.

NFLN is blatantly PC so it's more than a little funny that their response to Primetime's mouth is censorship.