View Full Version : ""RUNNING INTO ISSUES""

Bretsky
07-29-2007, 11:43 PM
Running into issues
Position far from settled
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: July 29, 2007

Green Bay - Day 2 in the great running back race began with de facto starter Vernand Morency standing on the sideline nursing a bruised knee.
The injury didn't set general manager Ted Thompson scurrying to his office to see if there was some way he could get Ahman Green back, but it did raise a red flag about the committee he has assembled to handle the halfback job.

Morency came into this season needing to prove that he could carry a full load without wearing down, and to be injured in the first practice was not a good sign. One of the best-conditioned athletes on the team, the 5-10, 212-pound Morency missed two games last year with a lower back injury just as he was picking up steam and didn't regain his form until the final four games of the season when he gained 167 yards on 27 carries (6.1 average).

Though not necessarily injury-prone, Morency battled two injuries in college as well, including an ankle that cost him five games as a freshman and a knee that cost him a game in 2004. He worked so hard in the off-season, beginning his training right after the '06 season started, that he had to back off at one point because he didn't want to get burned out. "I think he's going to be fine," Thompson said. "That's the nature of training camps. You go along and somebody goes down and then he gets better and then somebody else goes down."

With Morency out of the backfield Sunday after banging his knee in the first practice Saturday, the rest of the committee was soaking up the practice repetitions. Rookie Brandon Jackson, practice squad pickup P.J. Pope and veteran Noah Herron were the beneficiaries, splitting the much-sought after action.

"This is what happens," fullback Brandon Miree said of the National Football League. "Guys go down and you have to step up. Everyone is going to get an opportunity and when you do you have to make the most of it."

Morency's injury, even if it turns out not to be serious, highlights the problem the Packers have replacing Green, who took his six 1,000-yard seasons with him to Houston this past off-season. They don't even know whether Morency can do it, let alone the three or four guys who are behind him.

Jackson, the Packers' second-round pick from Nebraska, has the eyes of the organization on him the most. The minute camp started he was on the fast track toward preparation for the regular season, and is expected to compete for the No. 1 job. The fact he opened up camp with two drops in the passing game and left a lot to be desired in his pass blocking wasn't exactly a good sign for Thompson or coach Mike McCarthy. Both nerves and unfamiliarity with the offense were legitimate excuses for the rookie, but also shed some light on what the Packers are facing this summer.

"The first practice I was thinking a lot," Jackson said. "Now, today I have that one practice under me. It's coming a little naturally. I feel like every practice I feel a lot more comfortable in this system." Besides being new to the offense, the 5-10, 212-pound Jackson is fairly new to being a No. 1 back. He didn't become the starter at Nebraska until last season and had just 188 carries. Despite having just 291 collegiate carries he declared early for the draft.

It may be a couple of weeks before the Packers know what kind of contribution they're going to get from him. With seventh-round draft choice DeShawn Wynn sidelined because of a stomach virus, Pope is getting his shot to show what he's made of. Though just 5-9, Pope is a muscular 215 pounds and appears to be more durable than Morency or Jackson.

He was picked up off Chicago's practice squad last year after putting on a good show in training camp and has patiently waited for his turn. Pope faces the challenge of having played in a spread offense in college, a power gap scheme in Chicago and now a zone blocking scheme.

He mostly ran the other team's offense in practice last year, so he's just now learning what it's like to run this offense at full speed. "Going through minicamp and OTAs (organized team activities) with the zone blocking scheme you get looks, but it's not the same," Pope said. "Now that we have pads on I really have a feel for how everything is moving and cutbacks and things like that. I'm still trying to get a good feel for that."

Pope may be the least heralded of the contenders, but his ability to run between the tackles could earn him a roster spot as a short-yardage back. That is, if he doesn't win the halfback job outright, which at this point is a possibility given all the unknowns in the backfield.

The Packers know what Herron can do, but they're eager to see Wynn in pads because he not only has size (5-10, 232 pounds), he has excellent feet. But with a reputation for being lazy and undisciplined he has a lot to prove during this camp.

As practice marches on, the running back picture is supposed to become clearer. But at this particular time, it couldn't be more clouded.

GBRulz
07-30-2007, 07:07 AM
I known it's early, but if Morency continues to have problems with durability, I sure hope TT brings in SOME kind of help. Ya right.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-30-2007, 07:11 AM
Man we better hope the O-line got better.

packinpatland
07-30-2007, 07:13 AM
Think we could get Gado back?

Zool
07-30-2007, 07:45 AM
I think I actually saw his knee jerk while typing up his article. Holy second day of practice and nothing to write about so far.

Gasp a rookie dropped a pass? I've got my pitchfork out. Where's mob?

Cheesehead Craig
07-30-2007, 07:52 AM
I think I actually saw his knee jerk while typing up his article. Holy second day of practice and nothing to write about so far.

+1

Holy over-sensitivity Batman!

Bretsky
07-30-2007, 08:05 AM

+1

Let's leaves the Batman reference out of our RB strength thread; wait, can we bring him back ? :lol:

Cheesehead Craig
07-30-2007, 08:48 AM

+1

Let's leaves the Batman reference out of our RB strength thread; wait, can we bring him back ? :lol:
Ha! Forgot about his nickname. Is he now referred to as The-RB-who-shall-not-be-named?

LEWCWA
07-30-2007, 09:56 AM
blah blah blah, a guy gets nicked up and its the end of the world. Running back is an easy position to fill. I all falls on the line.

CaliforniaCheez
07-30-2007, 10:01 AM
I known it's early, but if Morency continues to have problems with durability, I sure hope TT brings in SOME kind of help. Ya right.

It can be done on the cheap during and after the final cuts.

Fritz
07-30-2007, 10:03 AM
I dont know how much I like training camp. The oohs and aahs over rookies who will be on the practice squad, and the panic over the slightest problem - a dropped pass, a third string tight end getting hurt.

MJZiggy
07-30-2007, 09:09 PM

It can be done on the cheap during and after the final cuts.

Don't we already have 9 guys in camp? Surely one of them can put one foot in front of the other and run?

pack4to84
07-30-2007, 09:23 PM
My bear fan from work keeps asking me how is Pope doing because he really look good last year in bears preseason.

Bretsky
07-30-2007, 09:49 PM
My bear fan from work keeps asking me how is Pope doing because he really look good last year in bears preseason.

I've always been intrigued by Pope
I am cheering for Brandon Jackson or Pope to win the starting job
I just don't think Morency is the real deal

KYPack
07-30-2007, 09:54 PM
With our “starter” going down in camp, I decided to see who in the hell we had at halfback for the coming season. Silverstein had a pretty good article in the JSO about the halfbacks, so here is some info on our very green RB core:

5-10, 212-pound Vernand Morency. Obtained in the Samkon Gado trade last season, Morency is the de-facto starter, but it doesn’t bode well for him to start camp with an injury.

5-10, 212-pound Brandon Jackson Dropped a couple passes and blew assignments in pass pro early in camp. He is a young guy with a lot to prove. The team can’t be confident with such an in-experienced player starting at halfback.

B.J.Pope 5-9, Pope is a muscular 215 pounds. He was picked up from the Bears PS last season. He is unfamiliar with the ZBS, but has a reputation as a powerful back between the tackles.

DeShawn Wynn 5-10, 232 pounds a beloved 7th round (by Ted T) pick, he’s not presently playing due to s stomach virus. Has quick feet, but is rumored to be lazy and undisciplined

Noah Herron 5-11, 218 pounds. Herron is the known quantity. With Morency, he is the most experienced of Packer halfbacks as a 3rd year pro. Herron is reliable but not particularly fast or flashy.

One thing I noticed, there guys are all short, power backs with about the same skill set. Wouldn’t we be better off having some tall guys, power backs and a few scatback types for a change of pace?

They are all pretty short, Herron is the tallest dude at 5-11. Seems like the other teams can just prepare for us without having to worry who is in there. These guys are like carbon copies of one another.

Bretsky
07-30-2007, 10:01 PM
With our “starter” going down in camp, I decided to see who in the hell we had at halfback for the coming season. Silverstein had a pretty good article in the JSO about the halfbacks, so here is some info on our very green RB core:

5-10, 212-pound Vernand Morency. Obtained in the Samkon Gado trade last season, Morency is the de-facto starter, but it doesn’t bode well for him to start camp with an injury.

5-10, 212-pound Brandon Jackson Dropped a couple passes and blew assignments in pass pro early in camp. He is a young guy with a lot to prove. The team can’t be confident with such an in-experienced player starting at halfback.

B.J.Pope 5-9, Pope is a muscular 215 pounds. He was picked up from the Bears PS last season. He is unfamiliar with the ZBS, but has a reputation as a powerful back between the tackles.

DeShawn Wynn 5-10, 232 pounds a beloved 7th round (by Ted T) pick, he’s not presently playing due to s stomach virus. Has quick feet, but is rumored to be lazy and undisciplined

Noah Herron 5-11, 218 pounds. Herron is the known quantity. With Morency, he is the most experienced of Packer halfbacks as a 3rd year pro. Herron is reliable but not particularly fast or flashy.

One thing I noticed, there guys are all short, power backs with about the same skill set. Wouldn’t we be better off having some tall guys, power backs and a few scatback types for a change of pace?

They are all pretty short, Herron is the tallest dude at 5-11. Seems like the other teams can just prepare for us without having to worry who is in there. These guys are like carbon copies of one another.

ABSOLUTELY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv7HN1kmy6M&mode=related&search=

HarveyWallbangers
07-30-2007, 10:05 PM
There really aren't that many tall RBs. They usually run too upright, and don't last very long. When I think of tall RBs, I think of Chris Brown.

Of the top 11 rushers in the league, only Larry Johnson and Steven Jackson are taller than 5'11". Chester Taylor is 5'11". The rest are 5'10" or shorter. That includes LT, Frank Gore, Tiki, Willie Parker, Rudi Johnson, Brian Westbrook, Travis Henry, and Thomas Jones.

LJ and Jackson are freaks. Big, powerful, fast, and shifty. It would be nice to have a guy like that. Unfortunately, there aren't many of them. Adrian Peterson has a chance to be in that class of RB.

Ahman was listed as 6', but I've been around him a couple of times, and I'd be surprised if he were even 5'11".

KYPack
07-30-2007, 10:12 PM
There really aren't that many tall RBs. They usually run too upright, and don't last very long. When I think of tall RBs, I think of Chris Brown.

Of the top 11 rushers in the league, only Larry Johnson and Steven Jackson are taller than 5'11". Chester Taylor is 5'11". The rest are 5'10" or shorter. That includes LT, Frank Gore, Tiki, Willie Parker, Rudi Johnson, Brian Westbrook, Travis Henry, and Thomas Jones.

LJ and Jackson are freaks. Big, powerful, fast, and shifty. It would be nice to have a guy like that. Unfortunately, there aren't many of them. Adrian Peterson has a chance to be in that class of RB.

Ahman was listed as 6', but I've been around him a couple of times, and I'd be surprised if he were even 5'11".

That's fine, but I really mean styles. Some backs with power, some with shake, and a 3rd down pass catching guy would be nice in the mix.

That said, I always thought Steven Jackson was a no-brainer guy to be drafted. A tall, fast guy with power gives you extra dimension.

Our lads all seem to be the same kind of cat.

BEARMAN
07-30-2007, 10:18 PM
bring in SOME kind of help.

Asking for HELP so soon ? :shock:
Me wounders what kinda season you cheese eaters will have ? :twisted:

Bretsky
07-30-2007, 10:23 PM

Come on Bearman

Give us your take on P.J. Pope. You watched him the whole last preseason

Dabaddestbear
07-30-2007, 11:48 PM

Come on Bearman

Give us your take on P.J. Pope. You watched him the whole last preseason
Pope is a gifted athlete that I wish the Bears could have kept hidden on the practice squad until Jones was gone. I think he is the best back you guys have in camp but I would love to see the Packers overlook him and let him get away to another team...lol.

Scott Campbell
07-30-2007, 11:52 PM
LJ and Jackson are freaks. Big, powerful, fast, and shifty. It would be nice to have a guy like that. Unfortunately, there aren't many of them.

Eddie George in his prime.

Lurker64
07-31-2007, 02:06 AM
LJ and Jackson are freaks. Big, powerful, fast, and shifty. It would be nice to have a guy like that. Unfortunately, there aren't many of them.

Eddie George in his prime.

There's still not that many, unless Eddie George is plural somehow.