PDA

View Full Version : Morency to miss 2 weeks with sore knee

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-30-2007, 05:04 PM
Morency to miss 2 weeks with sore knee

Running back Vernand Morency's knee injury is more serious than initially believed, and he likely will miss two weeks of practice, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said today.

Morency hasn't practiced since Saturday. McCarthy declined to discuss specifics of the injury, which was described Sunday by General Manager Ted Thompson as a contusion.

The Packers' first preseason game is 12 days away, so Morency likely will miss that game.

Other injury updates:

-- Rookie guard Allen Barbre sat out today's practice with a hamstring injury and defensive tackle Daniel Muir left with a recurring ankle injury.

-- McCarthy said he hopes defensive tackles Ryan Pickett and Johnny Jolly, both of whom failed conditioning tests on Friday, will practice Tuesday.

-- Wide receiver Donald Driver, who has a shoulder injury, also could practice in the next day or two, McCarthy said.

Rastak
07-30-2007, 05:10 PM
Morency to miss 2 weeks with sore knee

Running back Vernand Morency's knee injury is more serious than initially believed, and he likely will miss two weeks of practice, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said today.

Morency hasn't practiced since Saturday. McCarthy declined to discuss specifics of the injury, which was described Sunday by General Manager Ted Thompson as a contusion.

The Packers' first preseason game is 12 days away, so Morency likely will miss that game.

Other injury updates:

-- Rookie guard Allen Barbre sat out today's practice with a hamstring injury and defensive tackle Daniel Muir left with a recurring ankle injury.

-- McCarthy said he hopes defensive tackles Ryan Pickett and Johnny Jolly, both of whom failed conditioning tests on Friday, will practice Tuesday.

-- Wide receiver Donald Driver, who has a shoulder injury, also could practice in the next day or two, McCarthy said.

That's a bummer for the Packers, but Jackson will get a bunch of reps in the preseason so it probably helps him a bit.

packers11
07-30-2007, 05:14 PM
Its good Jackson will get a lot more reps...

Its bad because its been day 3 of training camp...

How can he last a whole season??? :?:

woodbuck27
07-30-2007, 06:12 PM
Here we go !!

Packnut
07-30-2007, 06:14 PM
Injuries happen, that's why you make sure you have enough depth to cover yourself..........

woodbuck27
07-30-2007, 06:14 PM
Oh Boy !!

This is the break that Brandon Jackson needed. We can't afford to loose diddly on 'O' in TC.

gbpackfan
07-30-2007, 06:41 PM
Don't kid yourselfs boys, this is bad news. The Packers are in deep shit at RB. I'll give them a preseaon game or two before I sound the alarm. :P

woodbuck27
07-30-2007, 06:49 PM
Don't kid yourselfs boys, this is bad news. The Packers are in deep shit at RB. I'll give them a preseaon game or two before I sound the alarm. :P

We needed more at RB.

The Packers are in deep doo doo at this very very important position.

This is being deflected by concerns at TE.

That's only. . the very important position we are in alot of trouble with.

KYPack
07-30-2007, 09:07 PM
Sheeezus!

This is ominous.

We could be in trouble, boys & girls.

There's smoke coming from our engine room!

RashanGary
07-30-2007, 09:27 PM
I just listened to the MM press conference and he dodged the question. It sounded like there was something more than a bruise but McCarthy said to "ask Mo" instead of getting into details. It was just strange the way he doged it. They say a couple weeks. I'm going to guess on the very high end of that and say he'll be back around preseason game 3 or 4 just based on the way McCArthy dodged that question.

Bretsky
07-30-2007, 09:51 PM
I just listened to the MM press conference and he dodged the question. It sounded like there was something more than a bruise but McCarthy said to "ask Mo" instead of getting into details. It was just strange the way he doged it. They say a couple weeks. I'm going to guess on the very high end of that and say he'll be back around preseason game 3 or 4 just based on the way McCArthy dodged that question.

I hope Jackson or Pope step up big time; I don't know why I like Pope, but I've always been intrigued by him.

I don't mind that Morency is hurt; I lack faith in him anyways.

retailguy
07-30-2007, 10:27 PM

But wait.... Aren't these the TRUSTWORTHY guys? :shock:

Well Shadow thinks that PJ Pope is our best hope. Who knows, he might be right after all? :x

HarveyWallbangers
07-30-2007, 10:48 PM
How the hell are we going to overcome the loss of Vernand Morency for two weeks of camp?

Bretsky
07-30-2007, 10:55 PM
How the hell are we going to overcome the loss of Vernand Morency for two weeks of camp?

Bring back Eric Torkelson; he's a gamer

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2007, 12:09 AM
The injuries we have been getting could be worse.

The Bengals placed nine players on the active physically unable to perform (PUP) list at the start of training camp.

Among them were both starting offensive tackles, Willie Anderson and Levi Jones.

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2007, 12:15 AM
Another fantasy football note. This Marshall kid is a real nice sleeper candidate.

The Broncos will wait impatiently as receiver Brandon Marshall's injured quadriceps muscle heals.

Marshall was placed on the physically unable to perform list, as was receiver Rod Smith and tight end Tony Scheffler.

Partial
07-31-2007, 12:53 AM
Heavens no not two weeks?!?

You guys seem to forget Ahman Green has played in only 70% of the teams games these past three seasons.

the_idle_threat
07-31-2007, 05:53 AM
I don't know why I like Pope, but I've always been intrigued by him.

Here's one reason to cheer for Pope: We "stole" him from the Bears, who liked him a lot last year in training camp. If he becomes a gamer and helps us win, it'll piss off the Bears fans and it'll be payback in a sense for Hunter Hillenmeyer.

This is especially true if their running game breaks down this year, as I expect it will with Cedric "Cutis Enis" Benson being handed an uncontested starting role.

Go P.J. Pope!!! :wave:

Fritz
07-31-2007, 06:56 AM
Stop with the panic already. Yes, there is a lack of talent on t he offensive side, and yes, Morency getting hurt is not good, but what are you gonna do? Did you see all the PUP lists from around the league? It's crazy. Just have to be patient.

the_idle_threat
07-31-2007, 07:27 AM
Sorry Fritz. I didn't realize I was panicking. :oops:

MadtownPacker
07-31-2007, 07:51 AM
Sorry Fritz. I didn't realize I was panicking. :oops:You are the biggest BAM I know. :P

the_idle_threat
07-31-2007, 08:48 AM
BAM!

LL2
07-31-2007, 08:52 AM
Well, the positive side of this is that we get to see what Brandon Jackson is made of. I hope Jackson gets to start the first pre-season game so we can see what he can do against another teams first string defense. Having him play the 3rd and 4th qtr doesn’t mean as much.

MJZiggy
07-31-2007, 09:11 AM
Well, even if Morency makes it back by the first preseason game, they're still likely not gonna push him full tilt on a questionable knee and risk reinjury. We know how M3 likes to be cautious with injuries. I think our boy Brandon gets a decent look.

BallHawk
07-31-2007, 09:38 AM
Well, at least we have Edgar Bennett......

wist43
07-31-2007, 11:13 AM

Bennett may be part of the problem... have you heard him go on and on about Morency??? He thinks the guy belongs in the HOF.

I'm sure Bennett's lobbying had a lot to do with Thompson thinking he's golden at RB.

woodbuck27
07-31-2007, 05:08 PM

:) X 10

We may need him.

woodbuck27
07-31-2007, 05:09 PM

Bennett may be part of the problem... have you heard him go on and on about Morency??? He thinks the guy belongs in the HOF.

I'm sure Bennett's lobbying had a lot to do with Thompson thinking he's golden at RB.

Yaaa. . .because Ted never comes out of his office doing all that thinking.

4and12to12and4
07-31-2007, 06:51 PM
I think this is almost a positive for the Packers IF this knee injury heals before the season starts and doesn't reoccur. If that's the case, I am glad that Brandon will get most of the playing time this offseason, he needs to learn the nuances of our scheme and identify with our OL. Morency already has that experience under his belt, and doesn't need this preseason anywhere near as badly as Jackson. So, as long as it's a minor injury that doesn't end up plaguing him during the season, I think this could help Brandon a lot.

GBRulz
08-02-2007, 04:08 PM
Now Morency is out for a month....

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070802/PKR01/70802181/1989

By Tom Pelissero
tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

Sunday, Vernand Morency was “day to day.”

Monday, he was out “maybe a couple weeks.”

This morning, five days after Morency was hurt, Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy said his starter-by-default at running back could miss almost a month because of soreness in a knee.

So goes the latest twist in the mystery of Morency’s injured patellar tendon.

“It's a knee strain, is what it’s classified as,” McCarthy said. “It’s a couple weeks. It could be two. It could be four.”

It was the first time McCarthy provided any details about the injury since Morency went down in the first practice of training camp on Saturday afternoon. If McCarthy’s timetable is accurate, Morency would miss at least one preseason game and might cut it close for the Aug. 30 preseason finale at Tennessee.

General Manager Ted Thompson acknowledged Morency’s recovery could take most of the preseason, but said the team isn’t interested in bringing in another back.

“Obviously, we’re disappointed Vernand is not going to be able to play in maybe the first couple of preseason games,” said Thompson, who on Sunday speculated the injury was a bruise. “We’ll see how he goes after that. We also have some young fellows here we need to see play and need to see practice, so that affords them an opportunity.”

Second-round draft pick Brandon Jackson has spent the most time with the first-team offense since Morency, acquired from Houston last September for running back Samkon Gado, was sidelined Saturday. P.J. Pope, Noah Herron and rookies DeShawn Wynn and Corey White also have practiced with the starters.

“It pains me every single day to go out there and watch those guys practice and get better and me not out there during it,” Morency said. “I’m in here getting my rehab done two, three times a day so I can be out there and contribute.”

For Morency, who missed parts of two college seasons because of injuries and sat out two games with a back injury last season, missing time could mean missing an opportunity to prove he’s durable enough to be a featured back.

“I’m not sitting here waiting for him,” McCarthy said. “I don’t mean that disrespectfully to him. (Injuries) happen. We have to move on as a football team. I hope he gets back.”

Pressed about the rate of his recovery, Morency repeatedly said it’s “in God’s hands.”

“When you come in and rehab,” Morency said, “you can stretch and do those type of things, do ab work, do hamstring work, get the muscles around the knee stronger, so that’s what we’re working on.”

For exactly how long?

That’s still a mystery.

BallHawk
08-02-2007, 04:20 PM
It's almost guaranteed that Jackson is going to be the #1 RB against Philly, assuming he doesn't screw-up.

I'm concerned with Jackson's pass blocking, though. Every rookie goes through it, but if he's having problems in training camp, imagine against Philly's defense. To me, I think you have to keep Miree and Korey Hall on the opening day roster.

GBRulz
08-02-2007, 04:32 PM
This is the pattern from TT that I don't like. It started back in his first season as GM... when we were razor thin already at WR going into the bye week...he refuses to bring in anyone. The next game Fergy goes down in MN and the next thing you know, our practice squad is on the field. It's like, does TT not take into the consideration that we might have injuries?

Now is the perfect time to bring in another body to compete at RB. What the heck do we have to lose?? There is still plenty of camp time for a new buy to get adjusted and given a chance. I hate to say this, but what happens if Jackson gets hurt? We have a backfield now with ZERO starting NFL experience. This just makes me even more furious that we didn't resign Green.

Partial
08-02-2007, 04:45 PM
Now is the perfect time to bring in another body to compete at RB. What the heck do we have to lose?? There is still plenty of camp time for a new buy to get adjusted and given a chance. I hate to say this, but what happens if Jackson gets hurt? We have a backfield now with ZERO starting NFL experience. This just makes me even more furious that we didn't resign Green.

I think it would be futile to do so, though. They have plenty of camp bodies. The key is to get the reps to the players you're convinced are going to make the team.

We know Morency is going to make the team, understands the scheme, and shows he can produce when given the opportunity. The unknowns we have are PJ Pope, Brandon Jackson, etc.

I think it'll be good to get more carries to these guys and to determine if they are going to be better than Herron.

If it was the regular season and they were down to two HB, then yes I'd be concerned. But I think they have like 6-7 HB in camp right now.

Bretsky
08-02-2007, 06:19 PM
Now Morency is out for a month....

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070802/PKR01/70802181/1989

By Tom Pelissero

This morning, five days after Morency was hurt, Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy said his starter-by-default at running back could miss almost a month because of soreness in a knee.

So goes the latest twist in the mystery of Morency’s injured patellar tendon.

“It's a knee strain, is what it’s classified as,” McCarthy said. “It’s a couple weeks. It could be two. It could be four.”

It was the first time McCarthy provided any details about the injury since Morency went down in the first practice of training camp on Saturday afternoon. If McCarthy’s timetable is accurate, Morency would miss at least one preseason game and might cut it close for the Aug. 30 preseason finale at Tennessee.

General Manager Ted Thompson acknowledged Morency’s recovery could take most of the preseason, but said the team isn’t interested in bringing in another back.

“Obviously, we’re disappointed Vernand is not going to be able to play in maybe the first couple of preseason games,” said Thompson, who on Sunday speculated the injury was a bruise. “We’ll see how he goes after that. We also have some young fellows here we need to see play and need to see practice, so that affords them an opportunity.”

Second-round draft pick Brandon Jackson has spent the most time with the first-team offense since Morency, acquired from Houston last September for running back Samkon Gado, was sidelined Saturday. P.J. Pope, Noah Herron and rookies DeShawn Wynn and Corey White also have practiced with the starters.

“It pains me every single day to go out there and watch those guys practice and get better and me not out there during it,” Morency said. “I’m in here getting my rehab done two, three times a day so I can be out there and contribute.”

For Morency, who missed parts of two college seasons because of injuries and sat out two games with a back injury last season, missing time could mean missing an opportunity to prove he’s durable enough to be a featured back.

“I’m not sitting here waiting for him,” McCarthy said. “I don’t mean that disrespectfully to him. (Injuries) happen. We have to move on as a football team. I hope he gets back.”

Pressed about the rate of his recovery, Morency repeatedly said it’s “in God’s hands.”

“When you come in and rehab,” Morency said, “you can stretch and do those type of things, do ab work, do hamstring work, get the muscles around the knee stronger, so that’s what we’re working on.”

For exactly how long?

That’s still a mystery.

This is no biggie from my perspective. I've never believed that Morency could be the guy. Maybe it will force Jackson to develop quicker and be ready. Maybe Pope steps up. Either way I dont' see Vern as being that huge of a loss.

woodbuck27
08-02-2007, 06:49 PM
BAM!

It's a bammer. :)

4and12to12and4
08-02-2007, 07:23 PM
I have an inside source telling me he could actually go if this were the first game of the season, just a tweak, and they're being very careful. To be honest, I think MM wants to really get Jackson a ton of reps in camp because i have a friend who has a close source to MM that tells me that McCarthy is really hoping Brandon shows great burst and vision, and thinks he will be our #1 RB by week 3. He seems real high on his potential, and I was told that MM convinced TT to choose him on draft day because he loved this kids desire, and cutting ability. He is VERY quick on his cuts, and can really make the first guy miss. He has excellent hip rotation as he runs that doesn't slow him one bit, which is rare and important when in tight holes. I have high hopes for Mr. Jackson as does MM.

4and12to12and4
08-02-2007, 07:25 PM
My inside source is my mom by the way. J/K!!

KYPack
08-02-2007, 09:51 PM
This is the pattern from TT that I don't like. It started back in his first season as GM... when we were razor thin already at WR going into the bye week...he refuses to bring in anyone. The next game Fergy goes down in MN and the next thing you know, our practice squad is on the field. It's like, does TT not take into the consideration that we might have injuries?

We must be twins with different mothers, GBM.

That lack of action at WR in 2005 ushered in the Taco Wallace era. What is up w/ TT? We don't have a deep enough roster in many areas.

We are thin at RB and TE. We go into camp with mainly rooks and 2nd year guys and not enough of them in both spots. We should have 7 TE's and 8 RB's in early camp. Sunday, Lee was the ONLY TE that could take the field for the afternoon practice.

We should have added vet street FA's in both spots. Last season, NO totally rebuilt their LB corp by adding street FA's. Yet TT is scared of using that talent stream to fill out the roster. A few old guys might add some expertise for the young guys to draw on.

I don't have confidence in the front office to use all their resources in adding talent to the roster.

Bretsky
08-02-2007, 09:55 PM

We must be twins with different mothers, GBM.

That lack of action at WR in 2005 ushered in the Taco Wallace era. What is up w/ TT? We don't have a deep enough roster in many areas.

We are thin at RB and TE. We go into camp with mainly rooks and 2nd year guys and not enough of them in both spots. We should have 7 TE's and 8 RB's in early camp. Sunday, Lee was the ONLY TE that could take the field for the afternoon practice.

We should have added vet street FA's in both spots. Last season, NO totally rebuilt their LB corp by adding street FA's. Yet TT is scared of using that talent stream to fill out the roster. A few old guys might add some expertise for the young guys to draw on.

I don't have confidence in the front office to use all their resources in adding talent to the roster.

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

Packnut
08-02-2007, 10:01 PM
I'm hoping Pope can pick up the slack. I know it's tough coming from a spread offense, but he has talent.

As far as Morency goes, the guy just can't stay healthy. Some guys have a knack for getting hurt. I remember him being hurt at Okie St. He's never gonna be the guy as many here thought. He's a change of pace back, nothing more. Houston handed him the #1 job and he played his way out of it. It's another case of wishful thinking.

No way in hell MM is gonna start Jackson against Philly. Those Eagle blitz packages will get Favre killed with Jackson playing.

woodbuck27
08-02-2007, 10:12 PM
I'm hoping Pope can pick up the slack. I know it's tough coming from a spread offense, but he has talent.

As far as Morency goes, the guy just can't stay healthy. Some guys have a knack for getting hurt. I remember him being hurt at Okie St. He's never gonna be the guy as many here thought. He's a change of pace back, nothing more. Houston handed him the #1 job and he played his way out of it. It's another case of wishful thinking.

No way in hell MM is gonna start Jackson against Philly. Those Eagle blitz packages will get Favre killed with Jackson playing.

If Favre suffers a serious injury due to poor blocking after all he's done to ready himself to contribute to a solid 2007 then the shit will hit the fan.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2007, 10:13 PM
My inside source is my mom by the way. J/K!!

Ladies and gentlemen, Joe Arrigo is now a member of PackersRats.com.

woodbuck27
08-03-2007, 02:02 AM
Injury list Thursday 2 Aug. 2007

McCarthy offered some description of the knee injury that running back Vernand Morency suffered five days earlier.

"The soreness is in his patella tendon," McCarthy said. "It's a knee strain. It could be two (weeks). It could be four."

woodbuck27
08-03-2007, 04:21 AM
Posted August 2, 2007

Morency may miss month with sore knee

By Tom Pelissero

This morning, five days after Morency was hurt, Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy said his starter-by-default at running back could miss almost a month because of a sore patellar tendon.

So goes the latest twist in the mystery of Morency’s injured knee.

“It's a knee strain, is what it’s classified as,” McCarthy said.

“It’s a couple weeks. It could be two. It could be four.”

It was the first time McCarthy provided any details about the injury since Morency went down in the first practice of training camp on Saturday afternoon.

If McCarthy’s timetable is accurate, Morency would miss at least one preseason game and might cut it close for the Aug. 30 preseason finale at Tennessee.

“Obviously, we’re disappointed Vernand is not going to be able to play in maybe the first couple of preseason games,” said Thompson, who on Sunday speculated the injury was a bruise.

“We’ll see how he goes after that. We also have some young fellows here we need to see play and need to see practice, so that affords them an opportunity.”

“It pains me every single day to go out there and watch those guys practice and get better and me not out there during it,” Morency said.

“I’m in here getting my rehab done two, three times a day so I can be out there and contribute.”

“I’m not sitting here waiting for him,” McCarthy said.

“I don’t mean that disrespectfully to him. (Injuries) happen. We have to move on as a football team. I hope he gets back.”

“When you come in and rehab,” Morency said,

“you can stretch and do those type of things, do ab work, do hamstring work, get the muscles around the knee stronger, so that’s what we’re working on.”

For exactly how long?

That’s still a mystery.