PDA

View Full Version : James Jones **JJ**

GrnBay007
07-30-2007, 06:31 PM
It's been awhile since PR had an Official Fan Club....I vote JJ!! :clap:

Insider: Jones takes advantage of working out with first team

Thumbs up

Sometimes early in training camp, skill position players flash and then just as quickly disappear. It's early, but rookie receiver James Jones doesn't appear to match that description.

After a solid first day of camp, the third-round draft pick from San Jose State jumped out on Sunday, especially during the important full pads practice in the evening.

With No. 1 receiver Donald Driver out due to a shoulder injury, Jones got plenty of opportunities with the No. 1 offense. To say he took advantage would be an understatement. In the night practice alone, Jones caught at least six passes during team (11-on-11) periods while lined up with the starters.

Quarterback Brett Favre seemingly had little or no hesitation about throwing to Jones. Favre connected with him twice on slant patterns, twice on short in-routes in traffic, once on a crossing pattern and once on a deep ball. Perhaps most impressive was the slant Jones caught against starting cornerback Al Harris.

Jones likely would have been picked higher than Round 3 had he run better than a 4.59 40-yard dash, but for a guy who supposedly lacked speed, he had no trouble beating cornerback Antonio Malone deep down the sideline.

Though the 6-foot-1 Jones differs physically from the smaller Greg Jennings (5-11), he's similar in that from the outset Jones has run precise routes and has caught the ball with ease. That was noticeable with Jennings in camp last year, and he parlayed that into a strong rookie season.

Early indications are that Jones could do the same.

Iron Mike
07-30-2007, 06:41 PM
Drinking the Jim Jones' Kool-Aid, are we??? :P

Joemailman
07-30-2007, 06:45 PM
Count me in. JJ could be the next SS (Sterling Sharpe). (Chug Kool-Aid). Of course, being another DD wouldn't be bad either. (More Kool-Aid).

GrnBay007
07-30-2007, 06:50 PM
Drinking the Jim Jones' Kool-Aid, are we??? :P

:whaa:

Nope. With the TE position being questionable...to say the least :cnf: and getting the opportunity to play with the first string, he will have more opportunities than any draftee to make an impact.

RashanGary
07-30-2007, 06:50 PM
He's looked really good in camp so far. In 11 on 11's and 7 on 7's he's been the most productive WR in camp from what I've seen.

Packnut
07-30-2007, 08:01 PM
I'm just about to pull the trigger on ordering my Jones Jersey. Almost there, just need a little nudge.......

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Nudge. :)

GrnBay007
07-30-2007, 08:30 PM
I'm just about to pull the trigger on ordering my Jones Jersey. Almost there, just need a little nudge.......

:twisted: *lil nudge* :twisted:

:wave:

Cheesehead Craig
07-30-2007, 08:45 PM
We'll see what happens in week 1, regular season. That's when it starts to count.

So far he's sounding good.

Carolina_Packer
07-30-2007, 08:51 PM
James Jones is the best goddamned receiver I've ever seen! HOF lock.

OK, great for the kid. I'd be thrilled if he made a name for himself. The Packers need him.

Lurker64
07-30-2007, 09:03 PM
Is it too soon to stop calling him a reach? He might not be a steal yet, but he certainly doesn't seem to play like a reach.

Bretsky
07-30-2007, 09:48 PM
Is it too soon to stop calling him a reach? He might not be a steal yet, but he certainly doesn't seem to play like a reach.

Two days of camp mean nothing. Yes, it's too early to predict anything on him.

Remember how dam good Leo Bookman was looking at the beginning of camp
Then it was Ruvell Martin
Michael Hawkins looked like a superstar w/o pads

I pray Jones is our #3, but I think those in this thread are getting intoxicated together at a party.......and you arseholes.........I was not invited !!!!

cheesner
07-30-2007, 09:48 PM
James Jones is the best goddamned receiver I've ever seen! HOF lock.

OK, great for the kid. I'd be thrilled if he made a name for himself. The Packers need him.
My wife is expecting in 2 months and I have chosen the name. The first name will be 'James' with a middle name of 'Jones'. It doesn't matter to me that my child is going to be a girl.

Typical fan reaction this time of year. Last year this time posters were talking about Hawk being a bust and Hodge was a steal.

It is a little early, but it sure looks promising for Jones.

Packnut
07-30-2007, 09:53 PM

I pray Jones is our #3, but I think those in this thread are getting intoxicated together at a party.......and you arseholes.........I was not invited !!!!

Well, the truth is I kinda cheated. Have a cousin out west who was able to send me some game recordings of SJSU from last season so I got to study Jones thoroughly. He has a chance to be a really good WC wide-out. Runs the slant realgood and is'nt afraid to get hit.

Scott Campbell
07-30-2007, 11:46 PM

Well, the truth is I kinda cheated. Have a cousin out west who was able to send me some game recordings of SJSU from last season so I got to study Jones thoroughly. He has a chance to be a really good WC wide-out. Runs the slant realgood and is'nt afraid to get hit.

I used to think that you were one of the guys that hated the pick. Ted got more grief on this pick than he did on JH in the first.

Packnut
07-31-2007, 02:48 PM

I used to think that you were one of the guys that hated the pick. Ted got more grief on this pick than he did on JH in the first.

I did'nt like the pick at #3 and as we found out, no one else really had him rated that high. Could have gotten him later.

Packnut
07-31-2007, 02:49 PM
From today:

The Packers pumped crowd noise through speakers during situational team drills this morning at Clarke Hinkle Field.

It had little impact on quarterbacks Aaron Rodgers, Ingle Martin and Paul Thompson, who were a combined 18-for-26 over two periods.

Highlights included:

-- Two great catches by rookie receiver James Jones. First, he elevated over Patrick Dendy for a ball from Aaron Rodgers in the front right corner of the end zone. Then, he fully extended to haul in a high Paul Thompson pass near the back of the end zone.

-- Donald Driver's first two receptions in team portions of camp: a sprawling grab on the sixth play of the second team period, and a wide-open grab in the end zone off a throw from Brandon Jackson.

-- A crisp, 8-for-11 performance from Ingle Martin, who ran the second unit. He got help from athletic catches by Donald Lee, Ruvell Martin and Zac Alcorn.

-- An across-the-body strike to David Clowney from Thompson, who recovered after bobbling the shotgun snap.

Rodgers finished 5-for-8, Thompson 5-for-7 and Jackson 1-for-1.

-- Tom Pelissero, tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

BallHawk
07-31-2007, 03:07 PM
Looks to me that the #3 spot is going to come down to James Jones vs. Ruvell Martin.

I'm rooting for both. Both are good players with likable personalities

BallHawk
07-31-2007, 03:08 PM
-- Donald Driver's first two receptions in team portions of camp: a sprawling grab on the sixth play of the second team period, and a wide-open grab in the end zone off a throw from Brandon Jackson.

When was the last time we actually performed a trick play like that in a game?

Hopefully, we'll see some more creative play calling this year.

retailguy
07-31-2007, 03:09 PM
Who is Jackson??? :?:

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2007, 03:15 PM
I did'nt like the pick at #3 and as we found out, no one else really had him rated that high. Could have gotten him later.

1) Who cares? If you like a player at that spot, you get him. You don't worry about what other teams think. 2) You stat this as fact. Nobody has any idea if there were other teams (much less one other team) that liked him as much.

Packnut
07-31-2007, 03:22 PM

1) Who cares? If you like a player at that spot, you get him. You don't worry about what other teams think. 2) You stat this as fact. Nobody has any idea if there were other teams (much less one other team) that liked him as much.

Um, there were a few articles both at JSO and ESPN stating the same thing. Hey you done defending Manuel yet? :P

The Leaper
07-31-2007, 04:03 PM
I think the play of the young WRs also may say something about the QBs. Despite Favre's absence, it seems Rodgers and Martin are playing pretty well. Hopefully that bodes well for the future.

I'm still going to wait on Jones. The kid has physical ability, but he isn't proven against elite competition. I'll wait until bullets start flying for real before jumping on his bandwagon.

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2007, 04:25 PM
Um, there were a few articles both at JSO and ESPN stating the same thing. Hey you done defending Manuel yet? :P

Get your facts straight. I don't defend Manuel. I think he blows, and I'll be disappointed if he starts this year. So, you actually believe some of these experts after the draft that say "so and so" could have been had a round or two later? Get real. These are the same people who said that Abdul Hodge and Ernest Shazor should have gone higher and that Nick Collins and Rashean Mathis should have gone in round 4. You later find out that a number of teams liked Collins. I'm sure Jacksonville wasn't the only team that saw something in Mathis. It only takes one other team to mess up your plans of waiting. Is this that hard to figure out?

b bulldog
07-31-2007, 04:29 PM
fergy is a 7 on 7 or 11 on 11 stud. Once the team plays somebody from another city, he is awful.

woodbuck27
07-31-2007, 04:40 PM

32 Brandon Jackson RB 5-10 212 21 R Nebraska

The option pass. :)

swede
07-31-2007, 04:40 PM

Brandon Jackson, RB from Nebraska, on a halfback option of some sort I would gather.

woodbuck27
07-31-2007, 04:43 PM

Get your facts straight. I don't defend Manuel. I think he blows, and I'll be disappointed if he starts this year. So, you actually believe some of these experts after the draft that say "so and so" could have been had a round or two later? Get real. These are the same people who said that Abdul Hodge and Ernest Shazor should have gone higher and that Nick Collins and Rashean Mathis should have gone in round 4. You later find out that a number of teams liked Collins. I'm sure Jacksonville wasn't the only team that saw something in Mathis. It only takes one other team to mess up your plans of waiting. Is this that hard to figure out?

WOW !

Easy on the nasty Harv. :)

4and12to12and4
07-31-2007, 06:57 PM

Well, both Bookman and Ruvell could still end up being excellent players. I especially have high expectations for Martin this year, I think he will solidify the 3 position, if not the 2 if Jennings doesn't come back into last year's early season form.

4and12to12and4
07-31-2007, 07:01 PM
I think Holiday might be a big surprise this year also. We have more depth at WR than most here think. We will be fine. I am worrying about the TE position more than any other position on our team. Bubba has lost his speed completely, and has lost a step in his blocking. I like Donald Lee, and when we picked him up I thought he was gonna be the next coming of Mark Chmura. He shows flashes, and then will drop easy passes. I now don't know if he will ever get it together. TE scares me, and it is so important to our style of offense. We need to have a reliable TE especially in red zone opportunities. It makes the defense work harder and opens up the run and the WR's. TT should've made a move here. I think he blew it on this one.

BallHawk
07-31-2007, 09:46 PM
Well, both Bookman and Ruvell could still end up being excellent players.

How can you be an excellent player if you aren't even, as of now, in the NFL. He got waived by the Raiders.....the Raiders. He's a track star playing football.

Ruvell, however, should make an impact for us this season, whether it is at the #3 or the #4, I don't know. It's highly unlikely that he'll get the #2, however.

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2007, 10:41 PM
Maybe Thompson has an eye for wideouts. We'll see. Proof is in the pudding.

Packers: Jones makes a big-time impression

By JASON WILDE, Wisconsin State Journal
July 31, 2007

GREEN BAY — Just as it can be dangerous to put too much stock into a player's performance in the first few days of training camp, there are, on rare occasions, players who make such a strong first impression it's next to impossible for folks not to get excited about them.

In the past decade, you could argue it's only happened twice to the Green Bay Packers at the wide receiver position, despite the club drafting 15 wideouts and signing two dozen more as free agents.

In 1999, a wiry, little-known seventh-round pick from Alcorn State came into camp and made himself impossible to cut. His name? Donald Driver.

Then last year, a second-round pick who lacked big-time name recognition coming from Western Michigan, justified his selection from the very first practice and, had he not suffered a midseason ankle injury, might've put up a 1,000-yard season as a rookie. His name? Greg Jennings.

Don't look now, but it appears to be happening again, this time with third-round pick James Jones.

"It's crazy, I'm only in my second year, and he kind of reminds me of myself," Jennings said Tuesday. "He's doing everything that people don't expect a rookie to do."

Added Driver, who watched Jones from the sideline during the first three days of practice: "I think he has what the coaches look for — confidence and comfort in the offense. When I came in in 1999, that's what I wanted to do right off the bat, come in and prove that I could play with anybody, regardless of who they were."

A reach?

Jones has caught virtually every ball thrown his direction, including two beauties on Tuesday morning, when he skied over No. 3 cornerback Patrick Dendy to reel in a touchdown from Aaron Rodgers, then went up and got a high Paul Thompson pass for another TD in the back of the end zone.

"That's why we drafted him," wide receivers coach Jimmy Robinson said matter-of-factly. "We knew he could do that."

Perhaps, but when the Packers took Jones with the 78th overall pick in April, the selection caused some head-scratching. Most of the pre-draft know-it-alls had Jones pegged as a second-day pick, as low as the sixth or seventh round, so he was considered a reach by many.

Plus, in some ways, the Packers opted for Jones' long-term potential over the short-term help a trade for Randy Moss could have provided. Moss went from Oakland to New England for a fourth-round pick (No. 110 overall), and general manager Ted Thompson could have dealt the pick for Moss had he wanted to.

Instead, Thompson opted for a guy who caught 70 passes for 893 yards and 10 TDs in 13 games as a senior at San Jose State last year after catching just 56 balls his first three college seasons combined.

"You definitely want to make a real good first impression. You want to open some eyes as fast as you can so the coaches start looking at you," Jones said. "I just go out there and make the most of my chances."

Learning curve

While Jones' ability to pluck the ball out of midair has gotten everyone's attention, coach Mike McCarthy cautioned that, unlike Jennings, who picked up the offense almost instantly, Jones "is thinking (a lot) right now. You can see when he breaks the huddle, he's thinking about the formation, he's thinking about the play."

Or, as Robinson put it, "Things came easy to Greg. I don't think they necessarily come as easy to James, in terms of the scheme. But he's handling it pretty well to this point.''

Indeed, while veteran cornerbacks Al Harris and Charles Woodson have been supportive of the rookie, they're also holding him to a higher standard after seeing what Jennings did last year in camp.

"From what I've seen, he's got real good hands. But this is camp," Woodson said. "It was kind of different with Jennings last year, there was just something with him that everybody could just kind of see. Jones, he catches some good balls, but I've got to see him in the game."

Added Harris: "I wouldn't quite say he's like Jennings was, because Jennings, he really caught on really fast. He was real smooth in his routes. James works hard, and he's got very strong hands. He caught a slant on me the other day where he ran a good route. He just needs to do that more often — sell his routes better, be crisper. But he catches the ball very, very well. I haven't seen him drop a pass."

And that might be the best part of Jones' strong first impression: He isn't getting swept up in his early successes. While his highlight-reel catches have been a staple of the local news stations' 10 p.m. sportscasts, he's acutely aware of how far he has to go. Told of Woodson and Harris' comments, he simply nodded in agreement.

"Definitely. I need to improve on a lot of parts of my game," he said. "I can run routes better, I can read coverages better, I can understand the game a lot better — I can do a lot of things better to elevate my game. That's why we're practicing, and that's what we're here for, to practice the things we need to get better on.''

Bretsky
07-31-2007, 10:58 PM
I just hope Jones is good enough to be the clear #3; in other words a step up from The Fraud, Bodiford, Ruvell my favorite Martin, and Holliday.

What I take from this article is he's a hard and determined worker who should help, but he in not nearly as developed as Greg Jennings was last year at this time.

Here's to JJ as our #3 !!

B

Partial
07-31-2007, 11:12 PM
I took away that he is physically ready to be the man, but he needs to work on his route running. I think he'll turn out to be a solid #3 this year.

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2007, 11:32 PM
If McGinn likes the kid, he must be doing well.
:D

Receiver Jones is making an impression
By BOB McGINN

Green Bay - Robert Brooks never looked this good early. Neither did Antonio Freeman, Robert Ferguson or Terrence Murphy.

Four days in pads do not a career make. Suffice to say, however, that rookie wide receiver James Jones has raised eyebrows and expectations in the training camp of the Green Bay Packers.

Clearly, the Packers thought more of Jones than most teams by taking him in the third round of the draft. But ever since the opening mini-camp practice in May, Jones has exhibited exemplary skills and a professional approach.

"He's done really well," quarterback Ingle Martin said. "I think he's going to help the Packers for sure this year."

By the close of their off-season program in mid-June, the Packers regarded Jones as their third-best wide receiver. Less than a week into camp, Jones has made more plays than anyone else.

Whether it's addressing his troubled upbringing or his so-so play in college, Jones has been up front. He looks questioners in the eye, speaks candidly and makes sense.

"My expectations for myself are very high," Jones said Tuesday. "What I'm doing right now, I still expect more. I still don't think I'm making enough plays. I think I'm actually playing under my standards. I need to step my game up."

His coaches are more than just pleased, and rightly so. Last year, the Packers hit with Greg Jennings in the second round. Historically, wide receivers struggle in their first season, but the Packers just might have hit again.

On Tuesday morning, Jones scored two touchdowns in an extended red-zone team segment. The Packers ranked 31st in red-zone efficiency a year ago. At 6 feet ½ inch and 209 pounds, Jones has the muscle to create space in close quarters and the powerful hands to rip away the ball.

First, Jones took cornerback Patrick Dendy into the right corner of the end zone. Facing quarterback Aaron Rodgers, he leaped and caught the ball over Dendy, who turned back too late.

Later, Jones lined up slot right with a linebacker across from him and safety Aaron Rouse behind. He released outside, then ran a post pattern and caught Paul Thompson's pass a step ahead of Rouse.

"I don't know what catch was better," Jones said. "I just try to catch everything. When it comes down to the point of who would you count on and who can catch the ball, I want my name to come up. Leave them no doubt."

As terrific as Jennings was from the start through Week 5 a year ago, it's possible that the starting job opposite Donald Driver could be a summer-long battle between Jennings and Jones.

Cornerback Charles Woodson, who had high praise for Jennings almost immediately last summer, declined to compare the two.

"From what I've seen, (Jones) has real good hands," Woodson said. "But this is camp. I think it was kind of different with Jennings last year. There was just something about him that everybody just kind of saw. Jones, he catches some good balls, but I've got to see him in a game first."

Jones, who said he dropped one pass in the first five practices (a slant against no defense), would readily understand. It's a long process and he intends to be in it for the long haul.

"I don't try to get into whether I'm competing against (Robert) Ferguson or competing against Jennings," Jones said. "If it's catching 100 balls or catching 10 balls, my main goal is just help this team win."

Bretsky
07-31-2007, 11:36 PM
I'd agree; McGinn does not fluff on anything. That's why I found him and Cliff somewhat reliable. They tell it like it is.

Bossman641
07-31-2007, 11:43 PM
I like what I've heard of Jones so far. Will be real interesting to see what happens with him when the real bullets start flying. I just hope he keeps working hard, refinng his technique and understanding the offense without having to think about it.

Perhaps TT has a eye for WR's. Murphy, Jennings, and possibly Jones.

MadtownPacker
08-01-2007, 01:47 AM
Perhaps TT has a eye for WR's. Murphy, Jennings, and possibly Jones.Sure is looking like it. Imagine if Murphy had panned out, the WR spot would be looking real sweet about now. As it is I am excited about the youth movement. Somebody is bound to step up.

RashanGary
08-01-2007, 06:08 AM
It will be nice to compare the Jones pick to Randy Moss over the next 7-12 years.

I noticed that he stood out too. The other guy who has stood out, which is expected, is Aaron Kampman. Last night at City STadium he was going up against a no name OT. He was bull rushing the guy straight back with ease. The guy had all of his weight leaning forward and Kampman just threw him on the ground (using his weight as a tool). The coaches were laughing and patted the rookie on the back.

Kamp then got two chances against Tauscher and he beat him handily twice.

Kampman looks as good as ever. If he hasn't gotten all of the doubters off his back yet, I think he'll get the rest of them off this year.

The Leaper
08-01-2007, 08:19 AM
It will be nice to compare the Jones pick to Randy Moss over the next 7-12 years.

Pointless, really. We did not have to give up Jones to get Moss. We could've given up a 4th rounder to get Moss.

Moss also wasn't going to be a long term Packer...he was looking for a one year deal so he could hit free agency.

Most people who wanted Moss saw him as a stop-gap for a year as Jennings and Jones developed.

LL2
08-01-2007, 08:27 AM
Looks like JJ is going to get some playing time. Everything you read about him is good. I can’t wait until the first pre-season game. The 4 receivers this year will be Driver/ Jennings/ Jones/ and Ruvell Martin.

Now if the GB RB and TE group can start putting out some good news. From what I read Brandon Jackson sounds like a deer in headlights. I hope it doesn’t take him a couple years to get good.

Bretsky
08-01-2007, 08:37 AM
Looks like JJ is going to get some playing time. Everything you read about him is good. I can’t wait until the first pre-season game. The 4 receivers this year will be Driver/ Jennings/ Jones/ and Ruvell Martin.

Now if the GB RB and TE group can start putting out some good news. From what I read Brandon Jackson sounds like a deer in headlights. I hope it doesn’t take him a couple years to get good.

I hope JJ is the #3

From there I think it's a toss up on who makes this roster. Martin, Holliday, Clowney, and Boddiford all have good shots. Oh ya, and the Fraud will make his annual plays in training camp and the preseason to tease the coaches again.

PackerBlues
08-01-2007, 08:45 AM
I really hope Jones does develop. Perhaps after a year in the system, he can challenge Jennings for the #2 spot.

Last year was so ugly with Driver getting double teamed, and Jennings just learning the system, and also the injuries. It seemed at times like Favre didnt have anyone to throw to other than a double teamed Driver. There were so many dropped balls by the other guys on the recieving end of Favres passes, that it seemed at times that he just gave up on them altogether, in favor of a double teamed driver.

I wish these young guys the best, but I would still like to see a veteran signed in case something does happen to any of our starting recievers.

Green Bud Packer
08-01-2007, 09:51 AM
woodson said he's taking a wait and see attitude on jones unlike jennings who just seemed to have it from the get go. i'll take his opinion of him over most.

mission
08-01-2007, 11:17 AM
jim jones huh?

BAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLIN!

:lol:

Partial
08-01-2007, 11:53 AM
woodson said he's taking a wait and see attitude on jones unlike jennings who just seemed to have it from the get go. i'll take his opinion of him over most.

Jennings was near the top of the league in stats before he got hurt, though. He is one of those guys that is just a playmaker from day one.

Carolina_Packer
08-02-2007, 01:43 PM
We'll see if Jones is the real deal. I'm happy with Driver and Jennings at 1 and 2. Jones might be a 3, but will be in the mix. Ruvell and Holliday will probably be a toss-up to see who makes it between them, since they are physically similar. We have and x and a y factor at WR. Robert Ferguson has a chance (granted, we all know the history) to come back and make a nice contribution to the receiving corp. Will he stay healthy and show some productivity? Who knows? Koren Robinson is the y factor. Will he be reinstated by the league in time to help us? If he is is reinstated, will he be able to play himself back into football shape? Will he make a contribution? I really hope he's been taking care of himself. Those two guys could really take a lot of pressure off of us needing James Jones, Martin-Holliday, Clowney, or any other inexperienced WR to produce right now.

I'm not as concerned about WR as I am RB.

BallHawk
08-02-2007, 02:42 PM
I'll have to see how James does in the pre-season. If he seems to run through it pretty mistake-free, then I would probably put him in the #3 spot. However, if he looks lost, I'd put in Ruvell Martin. At least he has NFL experience under his belt.

woodbuck27
08-02-2007, 08:52 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=641042

I looked for this article and didn't see it so. . .

Rookie catching on
Receiver Jones is making an impression

By BOB McGINN
bmcginn@journalsentinel.com

Posted: July 31, 2007

Green Bay - Robert Brooks never looked this good early. Neither did Antonio Freeman, Robert Ferguson or Terrence Murphy.

Four days in pads do not a career make. Suffice to say, however, that rookie wide receiver James Jones has raised eyebrows and expectations in the training camp of the Green Bay Packers.

Clearly, the Packers thought more of Jones than most teams by taking him in the third round of the draft. But ever since the opening mini-camp practice in May, Jones has exhibited exemplary skills and a professional approach.

"He's done really well," quarterback Ingle Martin said. "I think he's going to help the Packers for sure this year."

By the close of their off-season program in mid-June, the Packers regarded Jones as their third-best wide receiver. Less than a week into camp, Jones has made more plays than anyone else.

Whether it's addressing his troubled upbringing or his so-so play in college, Jones has been up front. He looks questioners in the eye, speaks candidly and makes sense.

"My expectations for myself are very high," Jones said Tuesday. "What I'm doing right now, I still expect more. I still don't think I'm making enough plays. I think I'm actually playing under my standards. I need to step my game up."

His coaches are more than just pleased, and rightly so. Last year, the Packers hit with Greg Jennings in the second round. Historically, wide receivers struggle in their first season, but the Packers just might have hit again.

On Tuesday morning, Jones scored two touchdowns in an extended red-zone team segment. The Packers ranked 31st in red-zone efficiency a year ago. At 6 feet ½ inch and 209 pounds, Jones has the muscle to create space in close quarters and the powerful hands to rip away the ball.

First, Jones took cornerback Patrick Dendy into the right corner of the end zone. Facing quarterback Aaron Rodgers, he leaped and caught the ball over Dendy, who turned back too late.

Later, Jones lined up slot right with a linebacker across from him and safety Aaron Rouse behind. He released outside, then ran a post pattern and caught Paul Thompson's pass a step ahead of Rouse.

"I don't know what catch was better," Jones said. "I just try to catch everything. When it comes down to the point of who would you count on and who can catch the ball, I want my name to come up. Leave them no doubt."

As terrific as Jennings was from the start through Week 5 a year ago, it's possible that the starting job opposite Donald Driver could be a summer-long battle between Jennings and Jones.

Cornerback Charles Woodson, who had high praise for Jennings almost immediately last summer, declined to compare the two.

"From what I've seen, (Jones) has real good hands," Woodson said. "But this is camp. I think it was kind of different with Jennings last year. There was just something about him that everybody just kind of saw. Jones, he catches some good balls, but I've got to see him in a game first."

Jones, who said he dropped one pass in the first five practices (a slant against no defense), would readily understand. It's a long process and he intends to be in it for the long haul.

"I don't try to get into whether I'm competing against (Robert) Ferguson or competing against Jennings," Jones said. "If it's catching 100 balls or catching 10 balls, my main goal is just help this team win."

:) GO PACKERS !!

GrnBay007
08-02-2007, 09:43 PM
:clap: Go JJ!! :clap:

woodbuck27
08-03-2007, 01:13 AM
I'll have to see how James does in the pre-season. If he seems to run through it pretty mistake-free, then I would probably put him in the #3 spot. However, if he looks lost, I'd put in Ruvell Martin. At least he has NFL experience under his belt.

Fr. Thursday Nights practise 2 Aug. 2007.

Hey Harvey take note:

Ruuuvelllll Marrrrtin capped off a big day, beating CB Frank Walker on a post-corner route for a long TD :)

woodbuck27
08-03-2007, 01:54 AM
Favre was asked about promising rookie James Jones.

"He reminds me a lot of Sterling Sharpe. He catches everything with his hands and regardless of where he is, continues to run the ball," Favre said.

"Very athletic, big strong guy who is, to me, confident in catching the ball and continuing in traffic, instead of maybe catching it, cradling it and going down or whatever. I don't know much about him other than his number and what I see from him on the practice field."

Zool
08-03-2007, 08:44 AM

"He reminds me a lot of Sterling Sharpe. He catches everything with his hands and regardless of where he is, continues to run the ball," Favre said.

"Very athletic, big strong guy who is, to me, confident in catching the ball and continuing in traffic, instead of maybe catching it, cradling it and going down or whatever. I don't know much about him other than his number and what I see from him on the practice field."

Where is Chatman now?

Bretsky
08-03-2007, 08:52 AM

Where is Chatman now?

Cincinati Bengals

Zool
08-03-2007, 09:02 AM

Where is Chatman now?

Cincinati BengalsAhh...I thought I heard they cut him.

Carolina_Packer
08-03-2007, 02:13 PM
no big loss...Chatman had a good run for being an undersized guy without a world of talent.

Zool
08-03-2007, 02:20 PM
no big loss...Chatman had a good run for being an undersized guy without a world of talent.I was no Chatman fan. That guy got tackled by shadows quite a bit.

Fritz
08-03-2007, 03:40 PM
Can't we call himn "Jim" Jones? or does it have to be "James"?

It's way early, but I suppose it's better to get rave reviews than this, which was written about Oklahoma rookie Larry Birdine:

"On Thursday morning, the rookie free agent barely made it through one of defensive line coach Robert Nunn's taxing individual periods. Then Birdine barely made it off the field before collapsing on all fours only 2 or 3 yards out of bounds during a team period. After several minutes, defensive end coach Carl Hairston inconspicuously came over to Birdine, leaned down and gave him a quick, sharp piece of his mind. Other players were snickering as one of the trainers stretched out Birdine, trying to get him up. A few fans in attendance snapped some pictures, prompting one defensive lineman to say later, "You can't let cameras get you like that." After 5 minutes, Birdine slowly walked the 100 yards or so to the cooling area and sat in the shade for the remainder of practice. Birdine was back practicing at night but he almost needn't have bothered. After that embarrassing episode, his career in Green Bay won't have long to last."

Uh, don't bother unpacking that duffel bag, dude.

the_idle_threat
08-03-2007, 04:21 PM
It might be okay to call him Jim, but calling his fan club the "Jim Jones Kool-aid Klub" would probably cross the line. :twisted:

LL2
08-03-2007, 04:29 PM
It might be okay to call him Jim, but calling his fan club the "Jim Jones Kool-aid Klub" would probably cross the line. :twisted:

Can we just go with JJ. He's DYNOMITE!

esoxx
08-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Can't we call himn "Jim" Jones? or does it have to be "James"?

No, it has to be James.

Because James "Big Game" Jones just sounds so much better.

MJZiggy
08-03-2007, 04:50 PM

How can something be that bad and that good at the same time?

Carolina_Packer
08-03-2007, 10:05 PM
>>No, it has to be James.

Because James "Big Game" Jones just sounds so much better.<<

If he does well, perhaps "Big Game" James...got that whole assonance thing going

the_idle_threat
08-03-2007, 10:52 PM
*snicker*

He said assonance.

KYPack
08-04-2007, 07:21 AM
Chatman pulled a hanstring the FIRST day of Bengals camp.

+ He did the same thing last year.

How he stays in the league, I dunno.

He must have pictures of somebody.

woodbuck27
08-04-2007, 07:49 AM

Nawwww ! Jim Jones isn't working.

How about Jay . . . then it could be ' Blue Jay ' Jones. Very cool. 8-)

I'm tring to Canadianize this joint. :)

woodbuck27
08-04-2007, 07:51 AM
Chatman pulled a hanstring the FIRST day of Bengals camp.

+ He did the same thing last year.

How he stays in the league, I dunno.

He must have pictures of somebody.

That's funny. :) X 10

woodbuck27
08-04-2007, 07:54 AM
>>No, it has to be James.

Because James "Big Game" Jones just sounds so much better.<<

If he does well, perhaps "Big Game" James...got that whole assonance thing going

I like that too.

James ' Big Game ' Jones and James ' Blue Jay ' Jones are the early entrants in our Packerrats James Jones nickname contest.

Lay them on. He's going to be a Packer for a while.

RashanGary
08-04-2007, 08:57 AM
Does anyone have any interesting nick names for Cletidus Hunt?

Fritz
08-04-2007, 09:20 AM
I was thinking Jimmy "Corn Pone" Jones.

Carolina_Packer
08-04-2007, 10:05 AM
Cletidus Hunt= *litoris *unt
Cletidus Hunt=Enormous Bust
Cletidus Hunt=Meaningless Grunt

woodbuck27
08-04-2007, 01:16 PM

How about. . . Puff.

Yup. . . Cletidus 'Puff' Hunt.

woodbuck27
08-04-2007, 01:18 PM
I was thinking Jimmy "Corn Pone" Jones.

Think he'd like that. :)

How about Jimmy 'sneaker' Jones?

the_idle_threat
08-04-2007, 11:39 PM

The big C

woodbuck27
08-05-2007, 05:25 PM
Cletidus Hunt= *litoris *unt
Cletidus Hunt=Enormous Bust
Cletidus Hunt=Meaningless Grunt

Cletidus 'cashed in' Hunt and screw em!