PDA

View Full Version : 'The sky's the limit' for Hawk

RashanGary
07-31-2007, 06:40 AM
'The sky's the limit' for Hawk

Linebacker shows signs of taking off in his second season

By Pete Dougherty
pdougher@greenbaypressgazette.com

The Green Bay Packers need to regularly see days like Monday from A.J. Hawk.

Three days into training camp, their starting weak-side linebacker and the No. 5 pick overall in last year's draft stood out as perhaps the best player on the field during an extended segment of team drills in the red zone.

It was the kind of practice that impact players don't have every day, but often enough to prove they're consistent, top players. The Packers badly need some young players to emerge if they're to make the jump from a .500 team last year to a playoff club in 2007 and beyond.

"(His performance Monday) really doesn't come as a surprise, that's the whole thing," said Reggie McKenzie, the Packers' director of pro personnel. "I'm looking for good things — no, great things — from A.J. We all are."

A year ago, General Manager Ted Thompson tabbed Hawk as the Packers' best candidate to become a star when he selected him with that premium No. 5 draft choice.

But last year in training camp, anyone looking for a standout day from Hawk as a rookie would have been disappointed. It's not easy for linebackers to jump out as playmakers in practice because there's no tackling to the ground, and Hawk had a relatively quiet rookie camp, occasionally flashing his talent on a play here or there, but never stringing together several eye-catching plays in the same practice. He did continuously improve throughout the season and led the Packers in tackles, but he was far from a finished product.

However, in Monday's lone practice, during extended team drills in the red zone and at the goal line, Hawk was in on at least four plays that stood out, even though he and the No. 1 defense were on the field for only about half the snaps.

On one play, quarterback Aaron Rodgers, subbing with the starting offense for the absent Brett Favre, was chased out of the pocket to his right and tried to throw the ball away into the ground near the line of scrimmage. Hawk made a diving play on the ball. Rodgers said the ball clearly hit the ground, but Hawk thought differently, and several defensive coaches reacted like they thought it was an interception, also.

"I think I (caught it), but I'll watch the film," Hawk said. "I think I did, I really do."

Then during the subsequent red-zone blitz drill, on a scripted play of third-and-goal from the 5, Hawk had the option of blitzing or dropping into coverage. Two other players blitzed, and Hawk quickly dropped back a couple steps to the goal line and tipped away a hot-read pass that he nearly intercepted from Rodgers to tight end Donald Lee.

"I had an idea before the snap that I was going to pop out, because I knew he'd have to get rid of the ball quick and I'd have no chance to get there before he got the ball out," Hawk said.

On the next snap, a scripted third-and-goal from the 4, Rodgers hit rookie receiver James Jones with a short pass over the middle, but Hawk stuffed him immediately at about the 1 to force what would have been fourth down.

A little later, in a short period of goal-line plays, Hawk stopped halfback Brandon Jackson for a short gain on a second-and-goal from the 7.

When considered together, the plays reflected some of Hawk's physical talents — he's a strong 248 pounds, and quick enough to stay on the field for most passing downs – along with his intangibles.

"He's a great athlete; he's got great instincts," cornerback Charles Woodson said.

"He's been in the system. The sky's the limit for him."

No doubt, it's easier for a linebacker to make noticeable plays in practice in the red zone than elsewhere on the field, because the players are condensed in a smaller area, and quarterbacks have to make their decisions quicker. Also, one strong practice early in training camp doesn't anoint Hawk star status.

But it's the kind of day the Packers have hoped to see, and that he'll have to repeat in camp to become the kind of difference maker whose presence improves the players around him. The Packers finished last season a respectable 12th in yards allowed defensively, but more importantly, they were 25th in points allowed, so this defense needs to make a major jump to become a playoff club.

On Monday, McKenzie went so far as to say Hawk, in time, can become an elite linebacker in the class of Chicago's Brian Urlacher or Tampa Bay's Derrick Brooks. They've been defensive MVP-type players the past several years, though Brooks is in decline at 34.

Regardless, that's a major statement.

"Yes indeed," McKenzie acknowledged. "We expect (Hawk) to be a consistent Pro Bowl player."

RashanGary
07-31-2007, 06:45 AM
I said multiple times before the season that if the Oline can play at a much higher level and one or two players emerge as player makers that we'll be a 9-7 or maybe better club in 07.

I cited Hawk and Jennings and the most likely candidates to make the big jump.

So far Hawk has looked great. The O-line has looked great. Jennings just needs to come out and have a huge preseason and all of my ducks will be in a row.

Not time to say I told you so yet, but everything that I expected is right on track to me serving a few guys some warm crow.

Spaulding
07-31-2007, 07:14 AM
JH, I don't think it's that cut and dry. I agree with you on solid O-line play likely leading to a more consistent running game regardless of who is in the backfield but that in itself along with two other players stepping up hardly translates to a winning season.

Way too many variables with regard to injuries. If everything remains status quo except for the better line production and Hawk and/or Jennings stepping it up then sure, but that's a glass house.

At this point, I'm more concerned about a solid 3rd CB (Dendy?? that seems like a reach to say solid) and better play from our FS (provided they acknowledge Collins needs to play SS) position.

If the defense addresses their ability to give up the big play and the offense minimizes turnovers, then barring injuries to key players (Driver?) we should be at least .500 in a watered down NFC.

The Leaper
07-31-2007, 08:24 AM
I think what JH is getting at is that Thompson isn't going off the deep end by being conservative this year. There is a high likelihood we could see some players step up this year...and Thompson may feel he can better spend that money AFTER this season when he has a better overview of the roster.

There are too many holes right now for $10M in cap space to provide a SB contender...so why not conserve the money when the FA pool isn't all that great? I would have liked to see TT take a flier on Moss, but overall I can't be critical of most guys he passed on this offseason. FA this year for the most part was pathetic.

MadtownPacker
07-31-2007, 09:01 AM
Well maybe he was worth going 4-12 over after all. :P

RashanGary
07-31-2007, 12:08 PM

Just one of the many benefits of dealing with hard problems now instead of patching and praying. Ted Thompson finds real answers but sometimes it takes a little sacrafice to get the reward.

b bulldog
07-31-2007, 04:28 PM
i WASN'T BIG ON THE PICK AT THE TIME but Hawk having a very good season has been predicted by the masses, it will be very interesting to see Hawk,Sims and Greenway play this year. I must admit, Hawk has caught my fancy and now I'm in love with the guy as a lb. I'm starting to worry about Harrell, Hawk will be fine but when your number one pick can barely do his position drills, I think of James Lee. I really hope I am terribly misguided on the comparison. JJ and Rouse are my two rooks to have a big impact.

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2007, 04:29 PM
Hawk really struggled early in camp last year.

b bulldog
07-31-2007, 04:33 PM
HAWKS STRUGGLES WERE BECAUSE HE WAS THINKING WAY TOO MUCH AS HE STATED TODAY IN HIS INTERVIEW but Harrell isn't in shape, period. This does not mean he will struggle this year or be a bust but to me it shows something and it isn't very good.

b bulldog
07-31-2007, 04:36 PM
Hopefully I am being way too critical, wouldn't be the first time :oops:

RashanGary
07-31-2007, 04:38 PM
HAWKS STRUGGLES WERE BECAUSE HE WAS THINKING WAY TOO MUCH AS HE STATED TODAY IN HIS INTERVIEW but Harrell isn't in shape, period. This does not mean he will struggle this year or be a bust but to me it shows something and it isn't very good.

I'm not worried at all about Harrell based on this short time in TC. I don't even expect him ot have a great year. I want him to be a good roation player this year and a stand out DT next year. If he's struggling next year in camp then I'm worried. Right now it's just a rookie who was injured being a rookie who is recovering.

woodbuck27
07-31-2007, 04:52 PM

Just one of the many benefits of dealing with hard problems now instead of patching and praying. Ted Thompson finds real answers but sometimes it takes a little sacrafice to get the reward.

He had better come up with some kind of solid answer (AJ Hawk) when our team finished at 4-12 and the obvious answer was AJ Hawk.

The whole world knew that TT would select AJ Hawk in the 2006 draft.

He certainly didn't blow that one. :)

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2007, 05:15 PM
A lot of people wanted him to take Vernon Davis.

b bulldog
07-31-2007, 05:56 PM
I wanted Mario but this is make or break year, I won't hold my breath :oops:

b bulldog
07-31-2007, 05:58 PM
The thing that concerns me is that being out of shape at camp as a first round pick doesn't exactly show a good work ethic as a player which is a red flag in regards to character. As I noted, it is early but my first impression isn't real high but he has loads of time to change it and I'm sure he could care less what some lamen poster has to say about him :lol:

woodbuck27
07-31-2007, 05:59 PM
A lot of people wanted him to take Vernon Davis.

That is true Harvey but we had need at LBer and AJ Hawk was as solid a player available in the draft last season fr. what i saw.

We wern't getting Reggie Bush.

Certainly it might have been Williams if he was still there but AJ Hawk was the consensus pick for us and a solid chouice as well.

I hate the Aaron Rodgers pick and the Justin Harrell pick as well. These will prove to be poor picks in time.

It's simple.

Are you getting heat for that pick?

Then you likely made a bad decision to go there.

The fans know the scoop. The fans arn't as lowly as some want to make out they are whenever there are differences of opinion regarding team direction.

4and12to12and4
07-31-2007, 06:36 PM
The thing that concerns me is that being out of shape at camp as a first round pick doesn't exactly show a good work ethic as a player which is a red flag in regards to character. As I noted, it is early but my first impression isn't real high but he has loads of time to change it and I'm sure he could care less what some lamen poster has to say about him :lol:

Well, where is the deficiency at in his shape? If it is upper body strength, and adding a few pounds, that goes in flow with not being able to be in the weight room shedding fat and gaining muscle because of a torn bicep. I'm sure he has had to spend much more time on rehabbing the injury and less time in the conditioning area. Sounds like a normal sequence of events to me. I wouldn't worry about it. Everyone in the organization says he's a hard worker, so as his arm becomes fully healed and he can do benches, etc, I'm sure his physical conditioning will shortly follow.

b bulldog
07-31-2007, 07:33 PM
CARDIO MY FRIEND. Numerous reports had him skipping drills and on the ones he did, he was huffing and puffing and looked like he desperately wanted to take a knee. Cardio has nothing to do with his arms.

RashanGary
07-31-2007, 09:02 PM
I believe what you're referring to is football shape. Harrell hasn't played football in a full year and he's 320 lbs. I think it's normal to struggle a bit.

Bretsky
07-31-2007, 10:42 PM
I'm glad we took Hawk; he's a centerstone of a future. I argued numerous times besides Reggie Bush AJ Hawk was the second best pick for Green Bay and wrote the pre-draft article urging Green Bay to select Hawk over Davis.
I'm all about Kool Aide for this LB

:five: :glug:

GrnBay007
07-31-2007, 11:17 PM
http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/photographer/10/10102_large.jpg