PDA

View Full Version : They made it.

the_idle_threat
07-31-2007, 07:25 AM
From JSO:

They made it: Defensive tackles Johnny Jolly and Pickett, both of whom drew McCarthy's ire on Friday for failing a conditioning run, passed Monday in the Hutson Center and will practice for the first time today.

The defensive linemen had to run across the field and back in 20 seconds a total of eight times with 40-second rest intervals. On Friday, Jolly completed only six and Pickett made just five.

"I should have passed it the first time but things happen," Jolly said. "I'm back now, right?"

Jolly said he reported at 327 pounds, five more than he played at as a rookie. Pickett said he was in the 345-pound range, about seven more than late last season.

"I'm in shape," Pickett said. "I know that's what people think when you don't make it. I made the test three days later. It felt better this time. I was more hydrated."

Figured they would. One less thing for the BAMs (bitchers and moaners) to cry about.

MadtownPacker
07-31-2007, 07:50 AM
I wonder how many of us could do that drill.

The Leaper
07-31-2007, 08:26 AM

I see what you are saying...but we aren't getting paid seven figures to stay in shape either.

Rastak
07-31-2007, 08:32 AM

I could have pulled it off 7/3/07 but after that, these crutches slow me down too much.

:D

MJZiggy
07-31-2007, 08:35 AM

I could. (no problem :taunt: )

Ras, I bet you could do it with the crutches...

sepporepi
07-31-2007, 08:36 AM

Most of us would. That's assuming not many of us weigh 300 pounds or more :oops:. As a grown man, it shouldn't be aproblem to run about 106 yards in 20 seconds a few times. The women get a free pass, as do all the kids (e.g. BallHawk :taunt: )

Bretsky
07-31-2007, 08:38 AM

If I was paid what Pickett or even Jolly made I'd make sure I could :lol:

MadtownPacker
07-31-2007, 08:58 AM
I agree that the highpriced fat boys should be able to do it. I was just wondering how hard it really is.

Maybe we should give it a try at the get together?

the_idle_threat
07-31-2007, 08:59 AM
Surely any of us (including myself) could do "a few." The first three, maybe even four or five, would be no problem ... it's the last couple three that would be tough.

Also, the article mentioned that the defensive linemen get 20 seconds. All you little skinny folks would get something like 10 seconds. :taunt:

sepporepi
07-31-2007, 09:05 AM
Just for perspective :

In 3rd grade I ran 1000meters in 3:35. That translates to 1093 yards in 215 seconds. Or 19,6 per 100y. Ok I did not have to stop and turn around, but I also had no rest and was 10 at the time :D. So a professional athlete, even if he is fat, should be able to complete the drill any time :lol:

Little Whiskey
07-31-2007, 09:09 AM
I've got a 2 year old that could do it in half the time. as a matter of fact he does it everyday.....I wish he would take the 40 sec breaks. it'd give dad a chance to catch up!

MadtownPacker
07-31-2007, 09:11 AM
I dont Sep, lil kids seem to have endless energy. I dont know if anyone 30 plus who aint well conditioned can hack it. Im gonna try to do it!

MJZiggy
07-31-2007, 09:12 AM
I dont Sep, lil kids seem to have endless energy. I dont know if anyone 30 plus who aint well conditioned can hack it. Im gonna try to do it!

I'll run it with you. Anyone else?

the_idle_threat
07-31-2007, 09:16 AM
I'm very tempted to try it.

sepporepi
07-31-2007, 09:19 AM
Im gonna try to do it!

Sounds like fun. I will try to find a 160feet field somewhere here. A soccer field is to wide.

We should start with the fat boys and work our way towards the DBs. :mrgreen:

Somewhere last year i found the required times for each postion.
I think it was devided into DL/OL, LB/TE, QBs, RBs, DB/WR or something similar. Would be interesting at which position we pass out :P.

BallHawk
07-31-2007, 09:35 AM
Just a word of caution, guys: Do the race before you wolf down brats and beer. We don't want major upheaval. :D :wink:

Partial
07-31-2007, 12:44 PM
I agree that the highpriced fat boys should be able to do it. I was just wondering how hard it really is.

Maybe we should give it a try at the get together?

I'd imagine it is fairly tough. Those guys are probably in pretty good shape.

MJZiggy
07-31-2007, 12:55 PM
Then join us in the run, Partial.

Guiness
07-31-2007, 02:06 PM
Surely any of us (including myself) could do "a few." The first three, maybe even four or five, would be no problem ... it's the last couple three that would be tough.

Also, the article mentioned that the defensive linemen get 20 seconds. All you little skinny folks would get something like 10 seconds. :taunt:

Uhhh, 10 seconds? 106 yards. That's roughly an Olympic gold medal isn't it :!: :!: :!:

Partial
07-31-2007, 02:41 PM

i'd be out of gas after 2 passes let alone the 8 they have to do :lol:

oregonpackfan
07-31-2007, 02:45 PM

For the PR gathering, I'll bring the stopwatch and clipboard to time and record your runs.

As a teacher, you can be assured that I will have you do the exercise over and over again until you get it right! :lol:

MJZiggy
07-31-2007, 02:47 PM
Great--and I used to be a track manager so I'll be well qualified to take your times when you run it while I'm on my rest time...

Zool
07-31-2007, 03:35 PM
160 feet in 20 seconds? 53 yards in 20 seconds isnt too bad. 8 times and I'll be wheezing like a squeaky dog toy.

BallHawk
07-31-2007, 03:48 PM
160 feet in 20 seconds? 53 yards in 20 seconds isnt too bad. 8 times and I'll be wheezing like a squeaky dog toy.

Wouldn't want to end up like that penguin, would ya?

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Orchard/8411/penguin-small.jpg

Zool
07-31-2007, 03:52 PM
Haha...I was gonna make a Wheezy behind the books reference, but wasnt sure if anyone would get it.

woodbuck27
07-31-2007, 05:02 PM

The field is 50 yards wide so. . . or 100 yards X 8.

Thats 800 yards within 7 minutes and 20 seconds.

Piece of cake. John Candy could have done it !! :)

Joemailman
07-31-2007, 05:11 PM
Just a word of caution, guys: Do the race before you wolf down brats and beer. We don't want major upheaval. :D :wink:

Why not? It's a good way to make room for more. :glug:

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2007, 05:21 PM

Actually, from what I understand, the field is 53 yards wide. Each segment had to be done within 20 seconds. That means they had to complete one distance and back in 40 seconds and they did that 8 times. That would come out to 848 yards in 5 minutes and 20 seconds. Most can do that. Most people aren't 330 pounds though. Still, most football players should be able to do it. It's hardly the first time some 300+ pound lineman has failed one of these things. It happens every year in many camps. Pat Williams of Minnesota was held for a good week last year, I believe, because he wasn't in peak physical shape. Sorry Rastak. Not a rip. I'm just around here, and I that's the one I remember at the top of my head.

BallHawk
07-31-2007, 05:24 PM
Haha...I was gonna make a Wheezy behind the books reference, but wasnt sure if anyone would get it.

Oh, c'mon. If I wouldn't of gotten it, I'm sure Iron Mike would of. :D

woodbuck27
07-31-2007, 05:42 PM

Actually, from what I understand, the field is 53 yards wide. Each segment had to be done within 20 seconds. That means they had to complete one distance and back in 40 seconds and they did that 8 times. That would come out to 848 yards in 5 minutes and 20 seconds. Most can do that. Most people aren't 330 pounds though. Still, most football players should be able to do it. It's hardly the first time some 300+ pound lineman has failed one of these things. It happens every year in many camps. Pat Williams of Minnesota was held for a good week last year, I believe, because he wasn't in peak physical shape. Sorry Rastak. Not a rip. I'm just around here, and I that's the one I remember at the top of my head.

By your numbers Harv that would be like running a 10 minute mile pace.

my numbers adjusted for turning around taken from your 53 yards.

53 yards + 5 yards to turn around = 58 yards X 2 = 116 yards for a segment.

First segment in 20 seconds. and rest 40 seconds.

8th segment would be done (if 40 sec. rest periods bet. segments) by 7 minutes and 20 seconds.

Thats 116 X 8 = 928 yards total for 8 segments in 7.33 minutes.

or more like approx. a 14 minute mile pace which is very slow.

1760 yards in 1 mile.

sepporepi
07-31-2007, 05:45 PM
Actually, from what I understand, the field is 53 yards wide. Each segment had to be done within 20 seconds. That means they had to complete one distance and back in 40 seconds and they did that 8 times.

As far as I understood they have tun run both ways in 20 seconds and get 40 seconds rest afterwards. Stll not very fast, but doubles your pace ...

MJZiggy
08-03-2007, 08:11 AM
McGinn reported this morning that he reason Harrell didn't do this drill is because he wasn't signed yet. It wasn't the free pass that some suggested.

Rastak
08-03-2007, 08:20 AM

No, that's a perfect example actually. Pat Williams last year showed up heavy and couldn't run it fast enough so they sat him for at least a week I think.

the_idle_threat
08-03-2007, 02:07 PM
McGinn reported this morning that he reason Harrell didn't do this drill is because he wasn't signed yet. It wasn't the free pass that some suggested.

The difference, IMO, is that the other guys had to pass the drill before they could take the field, even of it took them a couple of extra days. Seems to me that a holdout should have to pass the same conditioning drill before being cleared to practice. Otherwise it looks like a free pass, and on top of that, an incentive to hold out. :?

esoxx
08-03-2007, 04:02 PM
When is Harrell going to run this test?

the_idle_threat
08-03-2007, 04:17 PM
At the start of training camp next summer, apparently. :?

KYPack
08-04-2007, 07:30 AM
If you are outta shape, you'll never complete this drill.

For a guy in shape, he'll be winded, but he'll get 'er done.