PDA

View Full Version : More Of The Same

Packnut
07-31-2007, 08:36 AM
Perhaps it's not to early for a small portion of crow for a few people who have stated here that "Manuel was'nt that bad" or the "he was recovering from an injury and playing in a new city" or the classic "Manuel will play much better this season". Sure, it's only the first week of camp, but it's still the same problems from last season and these are problems that can't be fixed. This guy is done, cut him and move on. Delaying it only takes time away from the young guys. Thomspon need's to send the message now that continuing poor play will not be tolerated.

Come now. Fess up. Was'nt someone "debating" the Manuel topic with me just a few short days ago??????????????

Thumbs down

It's been the same old, same old for Marquand Manuel.

Manuel, who was responsible for several blown coverages last season, was at it again.

He bit badly on an Aaron Rodgers pump fake, which allowed receiver Ruvell Martin to blow by Manuel for what was an easy deep completion. He also gave up a touchdown catch to tight end Donald Lee in the next team period.

On Saturday, receiver Robert Ferguson blew by Manuel during a team period and would have had an easy touchdown had he not lost the ball in the sun.

The plays were classic Manuel, who has been nothing short of a disappointment since General Manager Ted Thompson gave him $2 million in guaranteed bonus money last year as part of a five-year, $10 million free-agent contract.

Manuel isn't bad when the play is right in front of him, but he doesn't move well enough in space to be an effective cover man.

Bretsky
07-31-2007, 08:40 AM
I hope Manuel stops covering Ferguson in practice or the Fraud might make the team :lol:

Packnut
07-31-2007, 08:45 AM
I hope Manuel stops covering Ferguson in practice or the Fraud might make the team :lol:

Yep, you know your done when Fergy abuses ya! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LL2
07-31-2007, 08:53 AM
I'm all for Manuel being cut. He gave up the big play too many times last year.

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2007, 08:54 AM
Who was the Thumbs Up?

Packnut
07-31-2007, 08:58 AM
Who was the Thumbs Up?

Sorry my friend, I should have posted where I got it.

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070731/PKR01/707310616/1989

MadtownPacker
07-31-2007, 09:00 AM
Just move Collins over to SS and throw the damn rookie (Rouse) out there and see how he does.

Packnut
07-31-2007, 09:02 AM
Just move Collins over to SS and throw the damn rookie (Rouse) out there and see how he does.

That works for me

MadtownPacker
07-31-2007, 09:06 AM
Dude is sick at 6'4!

It will be a serious freak show if him and Collins can be out there destroying the enemy.

The Leaper
07-31-2007, 02:19 PM
No arguments from me. I was one who really wanted to take Reggie Nelson in the 1st round. With our defensive system, you need speedy ballhawks for safeties...not run stuffers.

Collins is OK as a ballhawk...not great, but OK. Manual is hopeless in pass coverage. He is slow and has poor instincts.

BallHawk
07-31-2007, 02:33 PM
Manuel is a case where TT I think TT went more on what he had seen about Manuel then what his scouts had seen. Sometimes that works out well for a GM, most of the time, however, it flops.

I think Bigby and Rouse have a good shot at the starting gig. I thought Underwood had a good chance last year, but recovering from a crucial ACL injury, I don't see him kicking it into full gear just yet.

I have to say, though, starting Rouse is tempting........

Packnut
07-31-2007, 02:40 PM
Manuel is a case where TT I think TT went more on what he had seen about Manuel then what his scouts had seen. Sometimes that works out well for a GM, most of the time, however, it flops.

I think Bigby and Rouse have a good shot at the starting gig. I thought Underwood had a good chance last year, but recovering from a crucial ACL injury, I don't see him kicking it into full gear just yet.

I have to say, though, starting Rouse is tempting........

Teddy took a shot with Manuel and it did'nt work. No shame in that. It's just time for him to recognize the mistake and cut bait. What I don't like is this is turning out to be another Jenkins siutuation where WE all know KGB could'nt stop the run and the coaching staff was way behind us.

Every snap that Manuel gets with the first team is taking away valuable experience for the young guys. I know I'm over-critical but this really is bordering on the absurd!

Cheesehead Craig
07-31-2007, 02:57 PM
Manuel is simply acting as how the Lions, Vikings and Bears safeties play. We do play them 6x/yr so this makes sense that he wants to make sure the QB's get a feel for how the division Safeties play.

packers11
07-31-2007, 03:31 PM
No arguments from me. I was one who really wanted to take Reggie Nelson in the 1st round. With our defensive system, you need speedy ballhawks for safeties...not run stuffers.

Collins is OK as a ballhawk...not great, but OK. Manual is hopeless in pass coverage. He is slow and has poor instincts.

I was also a Nelson Fan...

Collins could have been moved to SS, Nelson at FS... I thought that would have been a very nice combo...

But on Manuel, hes had enough time to prove himself, they should stick in someone else in the first defense to send him a message...