PDA

View Full Version : Tomatoes

MJZiggy
07-31-2007, 01:57 PM
Ok, I planted one grape tomato plant this season and 3 grew (the volunteers are cherry tomatoes) I don't like raw tomato, they have to be cooked for me to eat them. I have zero tested recipes that call for grape or cherry tomatoes. Any of you have any? Anything cool? Or not cool, at this point I don't care.

SkinBasket
07-31-2007, 02:11 PM
Cooked tomatoes are pretty gross.

I would recommend margherita pizza, I suppose. Roll yourself out out some real thin pizza crust, slime it up with some olive oil, a little salt and some garlic, your tomatoes, then toss some cheese (I prefer to mix in some feta with the mozzarella to give it some more taste), and a few big ass strips of basil. Bake at 450 until it looks right, 10 minutes or so, then eat the fricker.

packinpatland
07-31-2007, 02:32 PM
Cooked tomatoes are pretty gross.

I would recommend margherita pizza, I suppose. Roll yourself out out some real thin pizza crust, slime it up with some olive oil, a little salt and some garlic, your tomatoes, then toss some cheese (I prefer to mix in some feta with the mozzarella to give it some more taste), and a few big ass strips of basil. Bake at 450 until it looks right, 10 minutes or so, then eat the fricker.

My thoughs exactly. Fresh basil, fresh mozzarella, garlic and olive oil.........pure heaven.

Little Whiskey
07-31-2007, 08:29 PM
have you ever tried cherry tomatoes zig? they are actually pretty sweet. great for salads. give em a shot you might like the raw!

Little Whiskey
07-31-2007, 08:36 PM
another idea. they are raw though. slice up fresh motzerrella the tomatoes and lay the tomatoes on top of the motzerrella slices and splash on some balsamic vinegrette and olive oil. serve with a "crusty" bread

MJZiggy
07-31-2007, 08:41 PM
have you ever tried cherry tomatoes zig? they are actually pretty sweet. great for salads. give em a shot you might like the raw!

The two volunteer plants that shot up are leftovers from last years cherry tomato crop. Thanks for the suggestion.

MadtownPacker
07-31-2007, 09:14 PM
What kind of sick, wierd person doesn't like tomatoes raw?????

Im not saying I dont like them cooked like in salsa or or spagetti sauce but fresh one are good straight up with just some salt. The are great on tacos, salads, burgers, and lots of things.

I bet that guy in your avatar eats tomatoes. Hell he probably even picked some.

packinpatland
07-31-2007, 09:50 PM
What kind of sick, wierd person doesn't like tomatoes raw?????

Im not saying I dont like them cooked like in salsa or or spagetti sauce but fresh one are good straight up with just some salt. The are great on tacos, salads, burgers, and lots of things.

I bet that guy in your avatar eats tomatoes. Hell he probably even picked some.

I'm sorry MJ, but that is really funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:

BallHawk
07-31-2007, 09:59 PM
Damnit, Mad, I was going to make the exact same joke.

Damn political correctness. Damn it to hell. :evil: :evil: :evil:

LaFours
08-01-2007, 09:01 AM
Put 'em on a baking sheet with some olive oil and rosemary and bake them at 350-400 until they are cooked through. Next spoon them over deep fried (or baked) potato wedges in place of ketchup. You'll be surprised how refreshing this take on french fries and ketchup is.

MadtownPacker
08-01-2007, 11:58 AM
That sound like it would be excellent LF! Im gonna try that with some bacon chopped up.

BH - Save that PCBS. A 14 year old don't care about nada.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-01-2007, 07:23 PM
another idea. they are raw though. slice up fresh motzerrella the tomatoes and lay the tomatoes on top of the motzerrella slices and splash on some balsamic vinegrette and olive oil. serve with a "crusty" bread

Lay mozz on halved cherry tomatoes? No way. You need a small/medium tomato. Now, if you wanna cut them all the same size (cherry and mozz) and make a salad, that is a different story.

BTW, that classic italian combo usually is dressed with basil as well.

Little Whiskey
08-02-2007, 09:57 AM

Lay mozz on halved cherry tomatoes? No way. You need a small/medium tomato. Now, if you wanna cut them all the same size (cherry and mozz) and make a salad, that is a different story.

BTW, that classic italian combo usually is dressed with basil as well.

tomatoe, tomaatoe

Partial
08-02-2007, 01:26 PM
What exactly is a sun-dried tomato? They taste different than a standard tomato. I am lead to believe it is a seasoning or a different form of the standard tomato. They are so delicious on pizza!

packinpatland
08-02-2007, 05:51 PM
As the name implies........they are tomatoes that have been dried. I doubt whether it's done in the sun anymore tho. :wink:

GBRulz
08-02-2007, 05:54 PM
What's really tasty is taking regular garlic bread, top it with tomatoes and mozz cheese. Cook on 350 for about 10-12 min. Yum !

MJZiggy
08-02-2007, 07:15 PM
Actually, I will be making the pizza on Friday 'cause that's pizza night and the potato wedges on Saturday to go with burgers, but in the meantime, I combined all the suggestions and did this: cut up the tomatoes and put them in a pie dish with some oil and (didn't have rosemary this season) cilantro and fresh chives. Heated them in a 325 degree oven 'til they were half soft and threw in some chopped up green pepper, then beat 6 eggs with a little milk and chopped bacon, pulled the pie tin out of the oven, poured the egg mixture over the rest of the stuff and put it back into the oven until set. Bacon tomato frittatta.

(And Mad, Henry was playing in bars and cantinas in dustbowl Texas at the age of 10, I doubt he picked tomatoes but I'll feed them to him anytime he wants... :oops: )

oregonpackfan
08-02-2007, 07:46 PM
Hey MJ! How about preparing some of these tomatos for the PR gathering this October? :)

MJZiggy
08-02-2007, 07:54 PM
I thought it was illegal to fly with produce???

Little Whiskey
08-02-2007, 08:32 PM
here is another one, but you should use roma tomatoes as they are a little meatier. my wife makes a tomatoe pie that is outstanding.

cut tomatoes and let them dry on a rack for a bit. add scallions,basil, salt, peper mayo chedder cheese, bake in a pie crust

if your interested i'll ask her for exact measurments. but it is great!!

packinpatland
08-02-2007, 08:45 PM
here is another one, but you should use roma tomatoes as they are a little meatier. my wife makes a tomatoe pie that is outstanding.

cut tomatoes and let them dry on a rack for a bit. add scallions,basil, salt, peper mayo chedder cheese, bake in a pie crust

if your interested i'll ask her for exact measurments. but it is great!!

Do that.........this sounds yummy!

woodbuck27
08-07-2007, 10:50 AM
This thread reminds me of a song.

The Ketchup Song for people who can't stomach raw tomatos and others as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmY71jnqAU4&mode=related&search=

MJZiggy
08-07-2007, 10:58 AM
That's all well and good, but it seems another cherry tomato plant has sprung up and even though I just harvested yesterday, I see that I will have to do it again today. Anyone got a good salsa recipe?

woodbuck27
08-07-2007, 11:14 AM
That's all well and good, but it seems another cherry tomato plant has sprung up and even though I just harvested yesterday, I see that I will have to do it again today. Anyone got a good salsa recipe?

MJ:

Now you make it in a 10 gallon pot and use a 16 foot canoe paddle to stir it with!!

If you decide on a smaller batch, say 5 gallons. Then you only have to use a paddle for a 12 foot canoe.

INGREDIENTS for Bye Smacky Tomato Salsa:

2 qt. tomatoes , peeled and chopped
1/4 c. vinegar
1 large onion , chopped
1 T. salt
1/2 t. garlic powder... or use real garlic cloves
2 c. jalapeno peppers, chopped (this is HOT...so I recommend starting with about 5 peppers)
2+ T. crushed dried chilies (I don't have this)
1 T. oregano
1/4 c. chopped cilantro
1 1/2 T. chili powder

PREPARATION:

First . . .ensure that you've sterilized the canoe paddle for stirring.

** Mix and stir with love all ingredients and let sit overnight. It helps to have some groovy music on while stirring.

** Thicken with tomato paste if needed. That may cost ya. :)

** Bring to a boil.

**Ladle into jars.

**Can in pints - 20 min. in water bath canner available at all fine hardware stores across America.

Eat it as any store bought salsa but this is really good.

Scott Campbell
08-07-2007, 02:42 PM
It helps to have some groovy music on while stirring.

ROFL

Can't you just see the master chef Woody bustin a move in the kitchen?

woodbuck27
08-07-2007, 03:04 PM
It helps to have some groovy music on while stirring.

ROFL

Can't you just see the master chef Woody bustin a move in the kitchen?

Man ! I can cook. :)

I used to prepare Scottish flavour for a hobby. I'm deadly with Chinese and Italian as well.

Back to the food of Scotland.

Those Rumpledethumps are delicious. So is the Scottish Cheese Cheddar soup and Chicken Pasties with Creamed Herring and lots of white wine.

mmmm - good !!

MJZiggy
08-07-2007, 03:25 PM
Focus, Buck!!! Grape tomatoes!!! I'm swimmin' in 'em over here!!!

Little Whiskey
08-08-2007, 11:23 AM
road side fruit market.....donate the proceeds to packerats!