PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp 7-31-07

packers11
07-31-2007, 03:29 PM
Packers start the day in shorts

The Packers are practicing in shorts on this warm morning at Clarke Hinkle Field.

Though it's difficult to tell who's fully participating, wide receiver Donald Driver and defensive tackles Ryan Pickett and Johnny Jolly are taking part in the walkthrough portion of practice.

Driver is back after passing his physical on Sunday night. Pickett and Jolly are back after passing conditioning tests on Monday. All three were held out until doing so.

Among those not participating is backup punter David Lonie, who is on crutches with an air cast on his injured left ankle.

Temperatures were in the high 70s as practice started, and were expected to rise to 92 by this afternoon.

Driver, Pickett, Jolly finish first practice of 2007

Today's training camp practice ended at 10:31 a.m., and Donald Driver, Ryan Pickett and Johnny Jolly all finished their first practice of the 2007 camp.

Among players who did not finish was fullback Brandon Miree. Also sitting out were Allen Barbre (hamstring) and Daniel Muir (ankle).

Running back Vernand Morency watched practice from the sideline with ice on his knee. Quarterback Brett Favre missed his second straight practice because of the death of his wife's stepfather. He is expected to return for Thursday's morning practice.

Six players on a one-a-day schedule -- Chad Clifton, Aaron Kampman, Bubba Franks, Marviel Underwood, Robert Ferguson and Abdul Hodge -- sat out practice as expected.

-- Tom Pelissero, tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

posted by PackersNews.com at 11:43 AM | 0 Comments

Bring in the noise

The Packers pumped crowd noise through speakers during situational team drills this morning at Clarke Hinkle Field.

It had little impact on quarterbacks Aaron Rodgers, Ingle Martin and Paul Thompson, who were a combined 18-for-26 over two periods.

Highlights included:

-- Two great catches by rookie receiver James Jones. First, he elevated over Patrick Dendy for a ball from Aaron Rodgers in the front right corner of the end zone. Then, he fully extended to haul in a high Paul Thompson pass near the back of the end zone.

-- Donald Driver's first two receptions in team portions of camp: a sprawling grab on the sixth play of the second team period, and a wide-open grab in the end zone off a throw from Brandon Jackson.

-- A crisp, 8-for-11 performance from Ingle Martin, who ran the second unit. He got help from athletic catches by Donald Lee, Ruvell Martin and Zac Alcorn.

-- An across-the-body strike to David Clowney from Thompson, who recovered after bobbling the shotgun snap.

Rodgers finished 5-for-8, Thompson 5-for-7 and Jackson 1-for-1.

More morning notes

Ryan Pickett and Johnny Jolly worked as the No. 2 defensive tackle pairing in their first practice of training camp.

Colin Cole and Corey Williams continued to work with the starters. First-round draft pick Justin Harrell, who has struggled in the heat, played sparingly during team drills.

-- The Packers opened practice in shorts before switching to soft shells after extended position work.

-- Junius Coston got most of the work at left tackle with Chad Clifton sitting out as part of his one-a-day schedule. However, a false start on fourth down during situational work prompted coaches to replace Coston with Orrin Thompson.

-- Tony Moll replaced Mark Tauscher at right tackle with the starting offense for parts of team work.

-- Rookie Korey Hall, a converted linebacker and one of the Packers' three sixth-round draft picks, took the first rep at fullback with the No. 1 offense after Brandon Miree dropped out.

-- Shaun Bodiford and Ryan Powdrell took the first rep on kick returns.

Practice tonight is at City Stadium, next to Green Bay East High School. It's scheduled to run from 6:30 p.m. to about 9, so we'll have more updates then.

posted by PackersNews.com at 12:11 PM | 0 Comments

b bulldog
07-31-2007, 04:22 PM
It is very early but Harrell is a disappointment at this point. He is very out of shape and from what I've been reading, he has been finding it difficult just to complete his drills. I'm sorry but that is pathetic.

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2007, 04:29 PM
3 days of camp. Hawk was a disappointment last year at this time also. Colledge was benched early in camp. This guy hasn't played football in 9 months and had to miss the entire offseason of practices. I'd like to wait until I actually see some of these guys before judging them. Especially with Harrell. I'll give the guy a chance to shake off the rust before being too disappointed.

b bulldog
07-31-2007, 04:31 PM
Totally agree but being in shape shows desire imo and as a rookie, I thought he would have wanted to be in great shape to prove the fans wrong who booed the pick from the start. One of the only conclusions that can be drawn about the rooks so far is that 91 IS NOT IN SHAPE!

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2007, 04:38 PM
I haven't heard that he's in bad shape. This article says "he struggled in the heat," whatever that means. However, who knows how much the guy was able to workout. I don't know. Maybe he could have, and didn't. Maybe he did, and he's not in football shape after missing so much practice time this offseason and last year. Maybe he couldn't. Proof is in the pudding. It's too early to start writing him off. Just like it was last year when people on here were worried that Hawk wasn't making any plays in practice.

Freak Out
07-31-2007, 04:44 PM
Totally agree but being in shape shows desire imo and as a rookie, I thought he would have wanted to be in great shape to prove the fans wrong who booed the pick from the start. One of the only conclusions that can be drawn about the rooks so far is that 91 IS NOT IN SHAPE!

Picket and Jolly failed to get through the gassers and missed the first practice but Harrell made it through if I'm correct.

Brandon494
07-31-2007, 04:57 PM
Where did it say he was out of shape again? :roll:

BallHawk
07-31-2007, 05:22 PM
Picket and Jolly failed to get through the gassers and missed the first practice but Harrell made it through if I'm correct.

Harrell was given a free pass and didn't have to do it.

Talk about double standards. :roll:

Freak Out
07-31-2007, 05:43 PM

Harrell was given a free pass and didn't have to do it.

Talk about double standards. :roll:

What! M3 is showing favoritism to the rook #1 on the first day of practice...must be on orders from TT. :lol:

b bulldog
07-31-2007, 05:54 PM
I heard today on the fan 107.5 and I've read it in numerous papers and Wayne Larivee said it on TMJ after the first practice.

4and12to12and4
07-31-2007, 06:42 PM
I have a sick feeling in my gut that Clifton and Tausher are going to be in and out of the lineup this year with little nagging injuries due to age. I just hope our young guys can come in and do a much better job than last year. I think our center and tackle positions will be much stronger this year. I hope I'm wrong and Cliffy and Taush stay healthy, but their age IS becoming a factor.

packers11
07-31-2007, 07:11 PM
Packers sign ex-basketball star Werner

The Packers have signed Chippewa Falls native Joe Werner and placed backup punter David Lonie on injured reserve.

Werner, a two-time Division III all-America basketball player at UW-La Crosse, hasn't played football since high school at Chippewa Falls McDonell. But he impressed Packers coaches with his athleticism while working out as a tight end at the team's rookie minicamp in May. He's 6-foot-6 and 252 pounds.

The Packers needed a tight end after Tory Humphrey broke a bone in his lower leg in Saturday's opening training camp practice. It's unclear whether he'll return this season.

Lonie was on crutches and had his injured left ankle in a cast this morning. He did not punt in training camp.

Werner was one of four tight ends who worked out today. The others were: former Tampa Bay Buccaneer T.J. Williams, Ryan Jones and Nate Lowry.

-- Tom Pelissero, tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com, and Pete Dougherty, pdougher@greenbaypressgazette.com

packers11
07-31-2007, 07:12 PM
Packers start practice at City Stadium, Werner in uniform

The crowd, estimated at between 2,000 and 3,000 people, greeted the Green Bay Packers tonight as they conducted their first practice in 46 years at the stadium, adjacent to Green Bay East High School.

Dressed in shorts for the start of the 6:30 p.m. practice and who did not participate in full-scale workouts: Vernand Morency, Brandon Miree, Daniel Muir, Juwan Simpson, Allen Barbre and Rory Johnson.

Newly signed tight end Joe Werner was in uniform, wearing No. 47.

posted by PackersNews.com at 6:53 PM | 0 Comments