PDA

View Full Version : Pack extends Favres roster bonus

Charles Woodson
03-31-2006, 09:13 PM
Packers extend Favre's roster bonus deadlineESPN.com news services

Packers GM Ted Thompson said Friday that Saturday's deadline for a $3 million roster bonus for Brett Favre, delayed twice before, has been pushed back again as the Packers quarterback needs more time to decide if he will return for the 2006 season.

Thompson did not specify a new date for when the roster bonus is due. The bonus deadline was originally extended by a week to March 20 and was then extended until April 1.

In his most recent comments about his football future, Favre made one thing clear: If he does return, he told a newspaper in his native Mississippi there is "no doubt" it will be his last season.

Thompson, who has remained in contact with Favre during the offseason, said he hasn't heard anything that would indicate a decision is imminent.

"We've talked to Brett and [wife] Deanna, and I've said all along that they'll decide when they decide,'' Thompson said.

Favre said he wants to play again but will return only if the Packers can assemble a winning team.

"Last season, expectations were high and it was a bad situation," Favre told the Sun Herald in Gulfport, Miss., of the team's 4-12 season, his only losing one in Green Bay. "If we can't compete at a high level, I can walk away and my legacy will speak for itself."

Thompson said Favre's unclear future isn't having a negative effect on the team's preparations for next season. But the sooner Favre decides, the better.

"It's OK now," Thompson said. "I think everybody would like to know. I think Brett would like to know."

Under terms of his contract, Favre would become an unrestricted free agent if the Packers do not pay the bonus. But throughout the process, both sides had an understanding that the payment deadline would be pushed back if Favre needed more time to decide on his future.

ESPN.com senior NFL writer John Clayton and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

billy_oliver880
03-31-2006, 09:17 PM
Did he not state today that he wants to come back? Was that off the record or what?

Charles Woodson
03-31-2006, 09:27 PM
I think he still wants to see if we sign any more good FA's

billy_oliver880
03-31-2006, 09:29 PM

I am going to go out on a limb here and say there isn't any more "good" FAs left.

Charles Woodson
03-31-2006, 09:35 PM

I am going to go out on a limb here and say there isn't any more "good" FAs left.

depends what you classify as good. Good no decent yes.

I like Charles Woodson. Tylaw is ok but old. Ahmed plummer, i thought was good but i mean be realistic, you cant be good and still be left.

billy_oliver880
03-31-2006, 09:39 PM

I like Charles Woodson. Tylaw is ok but old. Ahmed plummer, i thought was good but i mean be realistic, you cant be good and still be left.

Well I guess I am looking more from the viewpoint of offensive help. Woodson would be a great catch.

Charles Woodson
03-31-2006, 09:44 PM

Well I guess I am looking more from the viewpoint of offensive help. Woodson would be a great catch.

The only things on offense are o-linemen, if u wnat to see u can go to

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?null

billy_oliver880
03-31-2006, 10:04 PM
Looks really thin imo.

MadtownPacker
03-31-2006, 10:32 PM
Looks really thin imo.

Im telling you guy him and TT are playing everyone. They are trying to scare the raiders or another team wanting a QB into trading. Favre said its his last year no matter what so he figures might as well help the team he has given his all to. The same team that has a bunch of turncoat fans who forgot the goodtimes and the great run. Fans that treat him like culpepper. A socalled superstar who complained about his money, not the teams quality, cuz that money would have helped him win the SB. But no, Favre just wants his team to be better so he is a selfish jerk.

billy_oliver880
03-31-2006, 10:34 PM
Looks really thin imo.

Im telling you guy him and TT are playing everyone. They are trying to scare the raiders or another team wanting a QB into trading. Favre said its his last year no matter what so he figures might as well help the team he has given his all to. The same team that has a bunch of turncoat fans who forgot the goodtimes and the great run. Fans that treat him like culpepper. A socalled superstar who complained about his money, not the teams quality, cuz that money would have helped him win the SB. But no, Favre just wants his team to be better so he is a selfish jerk.

You got a point. We shall see how it all unfolds. :cool:

pack fan from england
03-31-2006, 10:45 PM
On John Claytons blog he states that the bonus has been put back until the 15th giving Favre two more weeks to decide on his future.

I think he will return, but we cannot win the SuperBowl this season with our roster, so he could well be wasting his time for an 8-8 team

Guiness
03-31-2006, 10:45 PM
I hope the statement that if he comes back, it's definitely his last year, isn't a correct one. I don't know that there's much point in having him for one more year.

I see the upcoming year as one where we try and get our shit together. Then if things go well, next year we can sign some top tier FA and make a solid run.

For this strategy, BF is required. If he's not going to commit to 2 yrs, I think it hurts the Pack.

MadtownPacker
03-31-2006, 11:24 PM
On John Claytons blog he states that the bonus has been put back until the 15th giving Favre two more weeks to decide on his future.

The 15th!! Next it will be the 1t of May! Oh man now I really believe they are going to go into the draft with Favre "undecided". This is some good drama for everyones mama. I will be laughing my ass off if Im right.