PDA

View Full Version : Leaner Franks is Cookin

RashanGary
08-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Green Bay - Bubba Franks is never going to be Antonio Gates, Todd Heap or Dallas Clark. Never was. Never will be.

All they're really after in 2007 is a return of old dependable Bubba. And maybe, just maybe, that Bubba is back.

"I talked to him a little bit before practice today," Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said Tuesday. "He's excited. Looking more like himself."

The Packers, as well as scouts for some other teams, still say Green Bay can get by for another year if Franks is able to bounce back from his horrible season in '06 and a poor, injury-riddled one in '05.

If Franks had reported Thursday with a hang-dog look and a woe-is-me attitude, there would have been little reason for the Packers to keep his $1.4 million base salary around any longer. They might have just eaten the remaining unamortized portion of his signing bonus, handed the job to Donald Lee and kept two youngsters to back up.

The Franks that checked in looks sleeker than he has been in recent seasons, and for good reason.

"I'm moving great, better than I've ever moved," Franks said. "Because I changed my diet. I focused more on speed than physicalness."

Toward that end, Franks started eating five times a day in an effort to build his metabolism and reduce his body fat. Franks didn't have an exact reading but knows his reading is 2% to 3% lower than ever before.

He also reported at 260 pounds, five less than in most seasons.

In the Larry Beightol-coached power-gap scheme, Franks often was asked to block the defensive end by himself at the point of attack.

When Mike McCarthy installed the zone scheme last year, Franks' role changed. He wasn't asked to go nose-to-nose with the giants nearly as much.

Thus, Philbin indicated that Franks had made the right choice in the focus of his workouts, sacrificing maybe a little bulk strength to gain a little more get up and go.

Franks has lived a nightmare for two years. All things negative that could possibly have been said or written about a former Pro Bowl football player have been said and written about him.

With body recharged and mind clear, Franks is going about reclaiming his career.

Zool
08-01-2007, 10:59 AM
I focused more on speed than physicalness."

I thought it was physicosity?

MadScientist
08-01-2007, 11:08 AM
But did he do anything to actually figure out how to catch the ball and hold on to it?

MJZiggy
08-01-2007, 11:08 AM
Realizing you're just messing, it's physicality.

RashanGary
08-01-2007, 11:13 AM
We have good

WR
WR
QB
OT
OT
OG
OG
OC
CB
CB
FS
OLB
OLB
MLB
DE
DT
DT
DE
DT depth
DE depth
LB depth
A good backup OL
A good backup QB

and people want to say our whole season is screwed because of

SS
TE
FB
RB

and we're not even sure that all of these things are problems

Compared to 2005 when we had

Good:

QB
OT
OT
CB
LB
DE
DE
DT
DT
FS

and the rest junk as well as having NO depth anywhere.

I just can't believe how heavily people latch on to the 4 lowest rated starting positions when they should be weighing in everything.

packers11
08-01-2007, 11:16 AM
and the rest junk

Are you saying Carroll was junk???
He just needed another year :roll: :wink:

Green Bud Packer
08-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Franks seems healthy, mentally and physically for the first time in a couple of years.Bubba needs to regain his red zone prowess to take presure off of the red zone running game. I still think Mac will find two t.e.s amongst the group who will help the pack win ball games.

The Leaper
08-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Sounds like Franks realizes his fat contract and fat ass were mutually exclusive...and realized a fat contract is better than a fat ass.

GBRulz
08-01-2007, 12:56 PM
I just can't believe how heavily people latch on to the 4 lowest rated starting positions when they should be weighing in everything.

RB, TE and FB.... all part of a horrible red-zone offense from last year. What have we done to address the problem? if anything, there is an even bigger question mark since Green left.

I can certainly see why people "latch" on to the lowest rated positions. It's a huge concern that many of us have and with good reason.

Packnut
08-01-2007, 01:12 PM

RB, TE and FB.... all part of a horrible red-zone offense from last year. What have we done to address the problem? if anything, there is an even bigger question mark since Green left.

I can certainly see why people "latch" on to the lowest rated positions. It's a huge concern that many of us have and with good reason.

Some people have no concept of what makes a WC offense work. TE and FB are CRITCAL to it's success. But hey, everyone can't be as smart as we are! :wink:

RashanGary
08-01-2007, 02:37 PM
I thought it was the FB, TE and incredibly weak interior line. I know they showed promise but they were rookies and they were laughed at by at least one ohter team and probably more.

I believe that the Oline was the bigger problem than the TE's, WR's and Rb's last year. Favre has made due with very little and still had good passing numbers. He's proven to never make do with a bad offensive line. That should be fixed.

Again, I go back ot the overall look of the team, which includes an improved Oline, improved WR's and maybe an imroved TE corp and I see better things to come. Combine that with improved defense and improved ST's and you have a much improved team. Damn it regular season, get here so I don't have to keep going through this :)

Merlin
08-01-2007, 11:12 PM
We have a "Good Backup QB"? Did we sign someone?

Merlin
08-01-2007, 11:16 PM
FB - Interesting that our "Starter" is sitting out with an injury and Henderson is gone. Seems to me that keeping Henderson around would have been a good idea. Ah, but what the hell do I know. I mean he only ever did his job when called upon to do so. We certainly don't need players like that now do we? I mean we gave Miree a season to start and he played like crap. We sat Henderson and most of you have written him off as over the hill or doesn't fit the ZBS. But really folks, do you have any clips of the guy not doing his job? Oh that's right, we are on a 5 year rebuilding plan. We are going to start a rookie who never played FB in college.

The Shadow
08-01-2007, 11:35 PM
Let's also resign Fuzzy Thurston to back up the guards.
Let the past go; holding on to the old days never works.

Merlin
08-01-2007, 11:39 PM
Yeah you are right, Henderson was so past his prime. You got that video of him sucking ass yet? I didn't think so. You don't let players who produce go. He had gas left in the tank and he did his job.

I hope you aren't in charge of anything, given your logic it's always better to have no one then someone who does the job.

The Shadow
08-01-2007, 11:45 PM
"......I hope you aren't in charge of anything, given your logic it's always better to have no one then someone who does the job."

I'm not quite sure how to respond to this one, other than to gently suggest you release the crack pipe.

Merlin
08-01-2007, 11:47 PM
Didn't think you had any proof of Henderson being over the hill. Just keep on believing...

GrnBay007
08-01-2007, 11:47 PM
FYI........you cheer for the same team guys!! :cow:

Have a cold one and relax! :alc:

:P

The Shadow
08-01-2007, 11:50 PM
Of course.
Henderson was still a wildly talented player.
He was released because....... it's just another example of Ted Thompson's nefarious plot to destroy the Packers and his own career.
Perfect.

Merlin
08-01-2007, 11:52 PM
Wtfever man, don't let reality interfere with your logic.

The Shadow
08-01-2007, 11:56 PM
Of course.
Henderson was still a wildly talented player.
He was released because....... it's just another example of Ted Thompson's nefarious plot to destroy the Packers and his own career.
Perfect.

There's your apparent reality.
I wouldn't dream of changing it for the world : I think it represents your logic perefctly. The world needs to see and fully appreciate it!

Fritz
08-02-2007, 07:13 AM
Is Hondo playing with anyone else now? I have not heard.

GBRulz
08-02-2007, 07:15 AM
hmmm, do I see a couple people who need a ride on the chill out bus? 007 has it already stocked with a few cold ones!

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/chill-out-bus.jpg

Bretsky
08-02-2007, 08:03 AM
hmmm, do I see a couple people who need a ride on the chill out bus? 007 has it already stocked with a few cold ones!

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/chill-out-bus.jpg

Is she drunk already ? :lol:

wist43
08-02-2007, 09:17 AM
JH, you've really gone off the deep end... suggesting that Franks can move either of his feet any faster than the slowest sloth in the world.

Knock off the Kool-Aid would ya!!! :alc:

run pMc
08-02-2007, 10:12 AM
I want that bus.

As for Hendo, IIRC there were reports last year on JSO that pointed out he wasn't as good of a fit for the ZBS as Miree. Most reports said he wasn't blowing guys up with blocks anymore, either. (Granted, I'm going off of my memory of reports from JSO since I'm too lazy to research it, but still...)
I think they could've kept Hendo another year, for his leadership, dependability, and special teams play (if nothing else). However, if he wasn't a good fit and there are young guys with more "upside'" maybe it makes sense. I heard he's staying in shape in case he gets a call.

run pMc
08-02-2007, 10:14 AM
Oh yeah, I just remembered this was a thread about Bubba...

I hope he returns to "old Bubba" form, but I'm doubtful this will happen. I have a bad feeling the TE spot is going to be a mess this year.

woodbuck27
08-02-2007, 10:18 AM
I want that bus.

As for Hendo, IIRC there were reports last year on JSO that pointed out he wasn't as good of a fit for the ZBS as Miree. Most reports said he wasn't blowing guys up with blocks anymore, either. (Granted, I'm going off of my memory of reports from JSO since I'm too lazy to research it, but still...)
I think they could've kept Hendo another year, for his leadership, dependability, and special teams play (if nothing else). However, if he wasn't a good fit and there are young guys with more "upside'" maybe it makes sense. I heard he's staying in shape in case he gets a call.

It's not like he'll bust the bank and we have lots of CAP.

The main reason I believe he's not with us is that the coachs have to develop new talent at the FB position. It's got alot to do with the roster spot, because Henderson has always stayed in shape and played good at ST's.

Maybe he will be back if we get into injury trouble at FB?

Merlin
08-02-2007, 10:25 AM
You would think they have already considered that. With Miree injured (and he wasn't all that impressive to begin with), you would think 3T would open up his change purse. But we do have a lot of rookies in camp so maybe they can play FB. Bring Henderson in to play TE.

woodbuck27
08-02-2007, 10:37 AM
You would think they have already considered that. With Miree injured (and he wasn't all that impressive to begin with), you would think 3T would open up his change purse. But we do have a lot of rookies in camp so maybe they can play FB. Bring Henderson in to play TE.

It might be a solid move to boost leadership and hopefully morale as well.

retailguy
08-02-2007, 12:45 PM

GBM, I can't believe that you haven't figured this out yet. If you disagree with JH, you're just plain wrong. He's going to "feel" this team straight into playoff contention singlehandedly.

RB, TE, & FB? Ah hell, we don't need 'em. We can plug anyone into those roles and we'll be successful. Don't believe me? Well, Ted said so, so THERE!

Drop the negative attitude, ok? You're bringing the whole board down!

retailguy
08-02-2007, 12:46 PM

Those things are overrated. What's the young guys 40 time, and how little of a contract can you get'em to sign? Now, THAT is important.

Screw all this leadership crap. It doesn't win games.

Partial
08-02-2007, 12:55 PM
RG I cannot wait to give the "I Told You So" dance when the Packers are in the playoffs despite a ridiculous schedule. Plenty of teams get by without having studs at every offensive position. The guys they have are going to be just fine.

You guys make it out to seem like they had to max protect every play and scored 5 points a game last year. They moved the ball just fine last year and with a healthy Jennings and a jump ball player in Jones there is plenty of evidence to suggest they will be a very good offensive team.

They have better players at receiver and running back than they did from 1998-2000. They also have a much better defense.

They are going to be able to win games. Even if they don't make the playoffs but look like a good team at the end of the year I will be more than pleased. Remember, SD didn't make the playoffs two years ago despite being a top 5-6 team in the league and winning plenty of big games.

retailguy
08-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Partial,

I'll be only too happy to take that abuse. The Packers back in the playoffs is more than I can dream right now and it would be worth all the "I told you so's" that you can muster.

Yes, they moved the ball last year, but didn't score nearly as much as they should have done. The OL was ABYSMAL most of the year, others saw improvement, I didn't. You forget, I was at the Minnesota game. Like you, I watch every game. Last season, I was talking that the team should be marketedly improved by the end of the year. We got to the end of the year and won all 4 games. But, when I looked closely, there were other factors that explained the wins as much, if not more than our improvement.

Did the defense look better? Yes, it did. However, the competition was all in the lower half of the league. These offenses and, offensive lines didn't really inspire fear, did they?

We gave up a pro-bowl running back to get younger. Overall, that's fine, I believe it was ONE SEASON EARLY, but still fine. The OL has to support these young guys. Just don't see it yet. There is a lot of pressure on that line to perform. Lots of pressure on young guys to "take it to the next level". Lots of pressure on coaches to get them ready. Lots of pressure on the limited veterans to lead and demonstrate by example. Lots of pressure on folks NOT to get injured. Can all of that happen? I'm not optimistic. You are. We'll see.

I'll happily take your abuse for a winning season. You'd better say the same... That's only fair over the amount of abuse us "negative" folks have already taken.

Partial
08-02-2007, 04:57 PM
Partial,

I'll be only too happy to take that abuse. The Packers back in the playoffs is more than I can dream right now and it would be worth all the "I told you so's" that you can muster.

Yes, they moved the ball last year, but didn't score nearly as much as they should have done. The OL was ABYSMAL most of the year, others saw improvement, I didn't. You forget, I was at the Minnesota game. Like you, I watch every game. Last season, I was talking that the team should be marketedly improved by the end of the year. We got to the end of the year and won all 4 games. But, when I looked closely, there were other factors that explained the wins as much, if not more than our improvement.

Did the defense look better? Yes, it did. However, the competition was all in the lower half of the league. These offenses and, offensive lines didn't really inspire fear, did they?

We gave up a pro-bowl running back to get younger. Overall, that's fine, I believe it was ONE SEASON EARLY, but still fine. The OL has to support these young guys. Just don't see it yet. There is a lot of pressure on that line to perform. Lots of pressure on young guys to "take it to the next level". Lots of pressure on coaches to get them ready. Lots of pressure on the limited veterans to lead and demonstrate by example. Lots of pressure on folks NOT to get injured. Can all of that happen? I'm not optimistic. You are. We'll see.

I'll happily take your abuse for a winning season. You'd better say the same... That's only fair over the amount of abuse us "negative" folks have already taken.

Pro Bowl running back? This isn't 2003 man. Ahman was decent. We'll see how he does this year. I don't foresee big things out of him.

They may not make the playoffs simply because another division in the NFC is going to have the powderpuff schedule the Packers had last year. They will be much improved, though.

I think there is a lot more to football than scoring in the red zone.

I don't know where the negativity comes from because they are such a young team, it is only reasonable to expect them to improve.

woodbuck27
08-02-2007, 07:06 PM

Those things are overrated. What's the young guys 40 time, and how little of a contract can you get'em to sign? Now, THAT is important.

Screw all this leadership crap. It doesn't win games.

He wouldn't want to play now with Ahman Green in Houston anyway.

It has to be tough on William Henderson because he always tried so hard to stay in shape. The changing of the guard.

Bigger and better. Well we'll see.

4and12to12and4
08-02-2007, 07:14 PM
If our offensive linemen continue to develop and finally figure out the backside blocking techniques, and we have a healthy fullback in there, Bubba will catch 60 balls this year and score 5 touchdowns. His problem was that he was a blocker 80% of the time last year. It was unfair critisicm of his stats because of what he had to do, and if we can get our blocking scheme in full gear, not needing extra help, both Lee and Bubba will come up big this year, as will our receiving RB's. This is a huge key in the success of our offense, dumping it to TE's and RB's and getting that man coverage on the outside for our speedy young WR's and Driver. We need to get back to a dominating screen game again, once again on the shoulders of the o-line, I think they are up to the task ( until we play the AFC West teams!!)

KYPack
08-02-2007, 09:30 PM
RG,

You were at the Viking game, right?

That game is the one I hope Bubba will draw on and bounce back somewhat. You can't play the TE position any worse than Bubba did in that game. I'd think any athlete, let alone a top pro, would not want to be remembered by that bad a ballgame. It was like we had to counter the Vikes and Bubba all day long.

There are several vets that had off years and we should get some payback effort from a few guys. If Bubba, Manuel, Popp (in coverage), Ferg and some of these guys redeem themselves, we could reap the benefits of it.

woodbuck27
08-02-2007, 10:46 PM
RG,

That game is the one I hope Bubba will draw on and bounce back somewhat. You can't play the TE position any worse than Bubba did in that game. I'd think any athlete, let alone a top pro, would not want to be remembered by that bad a ballgame. It was like we had to counter the Vikes and Bubba all day long.

There are several vets that had off years and we should get some payback effort from a few guys. If Bubba, Manuel, Popp (in coverage), Ferg and some of these guys redeem themselves, we could reap the benefits of it.

I don't remember ever seing a worse performance by our team.

That was the game from HELL !! :)

retailguy
08-02-2007, 10:48 PM
RG,

All true KY. "IF" is the key word in GB. IF about 15 of those "ifs" all happen we'll have a great team. How likely is that?:huh:

I hope we're improved, I hope we play better all 16 games than we played in that Viking game last season. We were abysmal on all 3 facets of the game. The only reason we won is because the Vikings were more abysmal. And, yes, Bubba stunk that game. It was particularly bad. But so did the rest of the team.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2007, 10:49 PM

What? We won the game, and if not for 3 missed kicks and a fumble at the 1, it would have been 23-9. I know we played a below average team, but I've seen much worse. How about the losses to New England and the Jets last year? How about the loss in 1997 to a winless Colts team?

The worst performance for me was the loss to the Titans on Sunday or Monday Night a few years ago.

Bretsky
08-02-2007, 10:52 PM

What? We won the game, and if not for 3 missed kicks and a fumble at the 1, it would have been 23-9. I know we played a below average team, but I've seen much worse. How about the losses to New England and the Jets last year? How about the loss in 1997 to a winless Colts team?

The worst performance for me was the loss to the Titans on Sunday or Monday Night a few years ago.

I think it was Sunday night; that was horrific. Just sticks out in memory like the NE and Jets game last year.

At one point Tennessee was on pace to score about 100 points.

GrnBay007
08-02-2007, 10:59 PM

It was Monday. I was there. :(

woodbuck27
08-02-2007, 11:00 PM

What I meant was it was so frustrating to watch. Exhauting ! :)

Thurs., Dec. 21 Minnesota Vikings 7:00 p.m. A win 9-7.

retailguy
08-02-2007, 11:02 PM

Dude, you're on drugs if you think it "could have been 23-9".

It should have been 7-0 vikings.

But you bring up a great point. Can this team "sustain" the rookie mistakes that it is bound to make. This game highlighted one of those when Jennings ran the wrong way and Smoot intercepted Favre and returned it 50 yards for the vikings only points.

This team has so far shown that it cannot sustain these mistakes which are bound to happen with such a young team. If they can sustain them, they'll win, and if they can't they won't, because the mistakes will happen. It's just the nature of young teams...

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2007, 11:11 PM
You, sir, are a contrarian.

First downs: 19-3, Green Bay
Total yards: 319-104, Green Bay
Time of Possession: 35-25, Green Bay
Penalties: Minnesota 10, Green Bay 4
Sacks: Green Bay 3, Minnesota 1
Punts: Minnesota 10, Green Bay 5
Missed FGs: Green Bay 2 (from 38 and 34), Minnesota 0
Fumbles at the 1 yard line: Green Bay 1, Minnesota 0

Yeah, you're right, we should have lost the game. Whatever.

It could have been far easier to be 22-7 than 7-0--considering the Vikes threw for 27 yards and didn't get past the 50 yard line--except on a shanked punt that gave them the ball at Green Bay's 38.

GBRulz
08-03-2007, 07:26 AM

What I meant was it was so frustrating to watch. Exhauting ! :)

Thurs., Dec. 21 Minnesota Vikings 7:00 p.m. A win 9-7.

Yes, I was at that game, it was a miserable 32 degrees and rain. The most excitement was me getting into a minor argument with the GBPD because as they were responding to an incident in the stands, one of the cops just stood in front of me (I had an aisle seat) and I couldn't see anything. I asked him to kindly move and he did nothing....then I wasn't so nice after that, lol. damn drunks :wink:

Fritz
08-04-2007, 09:36 AM
That Tennessee game was an embarrassment, but so was the game against Indianapolis - I think the year before, or was it the same year? - when the Packer defense tried - "tried" being the key - to blitz Manning, and he just absolutely ate that defense. Just ate it. It was like watching pros against junior high school kids. Ugh.