PDA

View Full Version : Reports Of Da Bears Demise Pre-Mature?

Packnut
08-01-2007, 01:23 PM
Updated: August 1, 2007
Comment
Email
Print
BOURBONNAIS, Ill. -- As I walked out of the buzzing, over-crowded football stadium at Olivet Nazarene University on Saturday night, I looked to the clear, star-lit skies and said to "Papa Bear" George Halas, "Forgive me for what I am about to do."

Observation deck
Despite the departure of Thomas Jones, Chicago's running game should be in good hands in 2007. Check out what else John Clayton observed at Bears camp.
• Observation deck
• Training camp index
I came to the Bears training camp and I'm writing offense. That's right, offense. Bears football is usually all about defense. It's the franchise of Dick Butkus, Buddy Ryan and Brian Urlacher. In terms of Bears history, the offense is usually designed to stay on the field long enough to give defenders enough of a breather to make the next big play.

This summer, however, the Monsters of the Midway have electrified fans with their offense. And it's more than just a revitalized Cedric Benson splitting the middle of the Bears' defense with a fast run up the gut. Devin Hester, the pinball whiz on returns and converted defensive back, is wowing Bears fans and burning defenders with his pass-catching skills at wideout. Rookie tight end Greg Olsen is stretching the field and catching everything within grasp. Tiny halfback Garrett Wolfe (5-foot-7, 177 pounds) looks like he's on fast-forward on sweeps and short passes in the flat.

So far, Chicago's offense has been the best thrill ride in the summer tour of training camps.

"We're hoping to get some playmakers out there," offensive coordinator Ron Turner said. "We've got some guys who are willing to make some plays."

The story of camp is Hester. Bears beat writer John Mullin officially named the 2007 camp, "The Devin Hester Experience." Watching him run routes is like listening to old Jimi Hendrix records -- explosive, exciting and unpredictable. Any fan would love to hang from the "Watchtower" to see the show.

In 2006, Hester was the underground candidate for offensive rookie of the year by returning six kicks for touchdowns, including a kickoff for a score on the opening play of the Super Bowl. Turner and the team's other offensive coaches had been plotting to bring Hester's play-making skills to the offense. Their thought was Hester would be a natural for catching balls out of the backfield or as a receiver. In the spring, Hester caught just about every pass thrown his way.

"I started playing football when I was 4 years old, and I played wide receiver, quarterback and defensive back," Hester said. "God blessed me with the talent to catch the ball. When I had pickup games I would play quarterback and wide receiver. I'd do a quarterback sneak and just run the ball."

AP Photo/M. Spencer Green

Devin Hester, left, has been one of the biggest crowd pleasers at Bears training camp.

Now, the experiment is over. Hester is a receiver. Turner says that Hester will be on the field offense more than the five or six plays a game he logged last season. Hester predicts about 30 plays; however, there is one problem. He is so valuable as a returner that the team can't afford to see Hester get hurt on offense. Coaches will have to find the right balance in order to keep him fresh and healthy for the entire season.

Hester is just an incredible athlete. For his size and position, Olsen isn't too shabby either. The rookie tight end had the crowd going crazy when he angled his body to the ground and made a remarkable catch before it hit the grass. As Olsen came back toward the huddle, Hester, who is 5-foot-11, soared into the night sky to do the highest of high fives with the 6-foot-5 Olsen.

Things, however, got a little carried away Sunday. Hester jacked up the crowd and played more inspired football after each catch. Fans motivated him to do too much. Before long, Hester started to drop a few passes. Coaches, sensing something wrong, found he was a little dehydrated and gave him some extra rest.

Wolfe, meanwhile, brings a Dave Meggett-type option to the offense. He catches the ball well and is quick. Each day in practice, the Bears unveil new packages to showcase the increased speed and athleticism to their offense. Sometimes, they will go with two tight ends Desmond Clark and Olsen, who is second only to Vernon Davis as the league's fastest tight end. And while all this is going on, Bernard Berrian -- developing as the team's No. 1 wide receiver option -- is burning cornerbacks with his speed on crossing routes and long passes.

All of the sudden, the Bears, who usually look as slow and methodical as a Big Ten offense, have speed and lighting-like scoring ability.

"We've just added another dimension to an offense that already knows the system so well and advanced it a little bit," quarterback Rex Grossman said. "Bernard Berrian is going to take another jump this year, and he's a mismatch for a lot of corners in this league. He's a relatively and unknown guy. ... He won't be after this year."

Things have been so electrifying that some of the fan gloom about Grossman as the team's starting quarterback is brightening up. Grossman looks much improved from last season. With more weapons to work with, the goal is to get Grossman's completion rate to 60 percent.

It is clear in camp that Grossman -- a 54 percent career passer -- has devoted a lot of time to improving his game, so that 60 percent completion rate should be attainable.

First, Grossman has more weapons to use. Berrian has 70-catch, 1,000-yard potential. Clark is a 45-to-50-catch tight end.

Second, from his study of game film, Grossman found ways to be more defined with his throwing fundamentals when his first two receiving options are covered. One of Grossman's strengths last season was being defined in his throwing motion and setup on his first two reads. But if they were covered, Grossman looked lost and his feet were everywhere.

Bears coaches do a great job fixing fundamental problems. Lovie Smith hired Pep Hamilton from the Jets as quarterbacks coach. If there is any idle time at practice, he'll take quarterbacks to a field and work with fundamentals. Hamilton studies every Grossman throw and offers immediate suggestions to repair small technical flaws.

Those suggestions have helped with Grossman's accuracy.

Despite going to the Super Bowl, Grossman had a tough time last year. Fans wanted him benched. Critics around the country called for Brian Griese to replace him. At press conferences, Grossman seemed increasingly uncomfortable and defensive. Folks were out to get him.

Teammates and coaches totally supported Grossman. Smith never gave much thought to benching him. Turner worked hard to keep Grossman's head in the game.

"We are [a] fully loaded offensive team," Grossman said. "It's a veteran offensive line and a good running back. Last year, we went from 29th in the league to 15th. Hopefully, we crack the top five or top eight."

Turner, meanwhile, is opening up the playbook. He's considering incorporating some shotgun formations and running no-huddle series. He's even asking Grossman to run a little more. Last year, Grossman ran only 24 times. He gained 2 yards.

Now, the coaches want Grossman to run a little bit -- even if it's only three or four yards. Grossman can now look around and get the ball to speedier players.

There's something different about these Bears.

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

72 comments on "Hester, Bears' offense stepping to the fore"

Watch Conversations in Real-Time

joeyduke2949 (8/1/2007 at 11:59 AM)

All of this hype may be warranted, but it just puts even more pressure on Rex Grossman. It's good to see that the Bears are trying to utilize the talent that they have assembled, but in the end they're all gonna need someone to get them the ball. I think the Bears could become the NFC's version of the mid 90's Buffalo Bills. They could make several consecutive Super Bowl appearances, but until they get an effective QB, they'll always be a step below the AFC powers (Colts, Chargers, Patriots, Ravens).
Training camp reports
Jeffri Chadiha, John Clayton, Matt Mosley, Len Pasquarelli and Mike Sando are traveling the country to bring you the latest news and information from all 32 training camps. For more camp coverage, click here.

b bulldog
08-01-2007, 04:09 PM
Hester at the WR position will pay great dividends for the Bears this season.

LL2
08-01-2007, 04:15 PM
John Clayton from ESPN was raving this morning about how good the Bears look and how improved they are on offense. :crazy: :smk:

packers11
08-01-2007, 04:17 PM

Thats what everyone thought Dante Hall would do for the chiefs...

Packnut
08-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Well, I figured the loss of Tank was really gonna hurt, but then they go and get a solid DT for nothing. As much as I hate the Bears, they have a GM that has his shit together...

LL2
08-01-2007, 04:26 PM
As much as I hate the Bears, they have a GM that has his shit together...

Don't say that. The TT bashers will come back out of the closet and Bretsky will make his sig permanent.

Packnut
08-01-2007, 04:29 PM
As much as I hate the Bears, they have a GM that has his shit together...

Don't say that. The TT bashers will come back out of the closet and Bretsky will make his sig permanent.

Sorry, but the guy seem's to be hitting the right buttons. It's funny cause the first few years, they were ready to run him out of town. I hope a similiar thing happens with our GM and team. I guess we'll find out this season......

the_idle_threat
08-01-2007, 04:53 PM
An alternative way to view this article is that perhaps the Bears' defense has regressed to the point where even rookies and part-time offensive players are gashing them for huge plays.

Just some positive thinking. :mrgreen: :cow:

MJZiggy
08-01-2007, 04:55 PM
There you go with that sweet talk again...

Bossman641
08-01-2007, 05:11 PM
Well, I figured the loss of Tank was really gonna hurt, but then they go and get a solid DT for nothing. As much as I hate the Bears, they have a GM that has his shit together...

Yea, Angelo really has been pressing the right buttons lately. The Bears have a very good history of drafting recently, not just high rounds but later on as well. They have a nice mix of veterans and younger guys right now, and they allow most of their picks to sit for a year or play sparingly before giving them major playing time. Even with Briggs probably gone after this year, I've heard nothing but good things about Jamar Williams.

It pains me to say this, but I think they have about a 2-3 window left still. They've been deveoping a lot of young talent on the defensive side of the ball lately. The one weakness I see is that it doesn't look like they have much young talent on the OL. The guys they have right now certainly aren't getting any younger. Moose is getting older as well, but there's a few guys behind him. Berrian stepped up last year, and I know they have really high hopes for Mark Bradley. For the Packers' sake, I just hope that Grossman and those WR's don't make big strides. Then they will just continue to have a very good defense and an average offense.

Benson doesn't really do anything for me though. I still don't like that trade from the Bears' perspective and a lot of the players preferred Jones a hell of a lot more than Benson. I'm taking a wait and see approach on Hester at WR. Yes, he has world-class speed, but this experiment has been attempted many times before.

Packnut
08-01-2007, 05:36 PM

Yea, Angelo really has been pressing the right buttons lately. The Bears have a very good history of drafting recently, not just high rounds but later on as well. They have a nice mix of veterans and younger guys right now, and they allow most of their picks to sit for a year or play sparingly before giving them major playing time. Even with Briggs probably gone after this year, I've heard nothing but good things about Jamar Williams.

It pains me to say this, but I think they have about a 2-3 window left still. They've been deveoping a lot of young talent on the defensive side of the ball lately. The one weakness I see is that it doesn't look like they have much young talent on the OL. The guys they have right now certainly aren't getting any younger. Moose is getting older as well, but there's a few guys behind him. Berrian stepped up last year, and I know they have really high hopes for Mark Bradley. For the Packers' sake, I just hope that Grossman and those WR's don't make big strides. Then they will just continue to have a very good defense and an average offense.

Benson doesn't really do anything for me though. I still don't like that trade from the Bears' perspective and a lot of the players preferred Jones a hell of a lot more than Benson. I'm taking a wait and see approach on Hester at WR. Yes, he has world-class speed, but this experiment has been attempted many times before.

I still won't believe Benson will be the guy until he proves it. His style invites injury. If Grossman does pull his head out of his rear, we could be in trouble. Let's just hope that SB loser curse wreaks havoc the theBears.

Freak Out
08-01-2007, 05:40 PM
The Bears have everything they need except for a QB. If Grossman steps it up they win...if he does not improve they will not win a SB. He is really going to have to carry the offense this year without the two headed RB there to cover his ass. The D will keep them in games when the offense stagnates but the D is not going to win a SB alone.

Scott Campbell
08-01-2007, 07:32 PM
That team down South is a bunch of massive chokers until proven otherwise. They almost blew their bye week home playoff game again last year. They looked terrific against the Saints. Then the stunk again against the Colts.

You have to be reasonably consistent to win the whole thing. They aren't. Not yet.

pack4to84
08-01-2007, 07:40 PM
An alternative way to view this article is that perhaps the Bears' defense has regressed to the point where even rookies and part-time offensive players are gashing them for huge plays.

Just some positive thinking. :mrgreen: :cow:This my prediction on the bears D.
Will not finish in top 5 this year right it down.

Rastak
08-01-2007, 08:18 PM
That team down South is a bunch of massive chokers until proven otherwise. They almost blew their bye week home playoff game again last year. They looked terrific against the Saints. Then the stunk again against the Colts.

You have to be reasonably consistent to win the whole thing. They aren't. Not yet.

South of Utah? Cardinals?

:wink:

Scott Campbell
08-01-2007, 08:42 PM

South of Utah? Cardinals?

:wink:

The Cardinals would have put up a better fight in the Superbowl.

The Shadow
08-01-2007, 08:57 PM
1. The offensive line appears on it's last legs. Brown & Miller, in particular.
2. They let the wrong running back go. Jones is superior to Benson.
3. No Ian Scott next to bad hammies Tommie Harris is gonna hurt them.

RashanGary
08-01-2007, 09:08 PM
I agree Shadow. I see the Bears as a team on the decline. They still have two years, maybe three to be good, but I think last year was their best shot and they missed it. Grossman taking a huge step could make them similar to last year but I doubt that will happen.

BEARMAN
08-01-2007, 09:45 PM

1. Brown and Miller are just fine ! You say old, I say experienced.
2. Jones did not want to play for us, Benson dose. Benson showed glimpses of the great back he can be last season, just give him alittle time and you will see another great BEAR R/B !
3. Da BEARS have just signed another DT, plus one coming off injury last year, and a couple off season aquisitions (sp), Da BEARS D line is in great shape ! Tommy is back 100% !

You cheese eaters better look out ! Da BEARS are comming, and they are hungery ! :twisted:

MJZiggy
08-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Ok, ok, but if you're gonna keep saying that, you really should learn to spell 'hungry' for me quick...And I hope it's hunger and not complacency (well, I don't hope that but you get the idea)

pack4to84
08-01-2007, 09:51 PM

1. Brown and Miller are just fine ! You say old, I say experienced.
2. Jones did not want to play for us, Benson dose. Benson showed glimpses of the great back he can be last season, just give him alittle time and you will see another great BEAR R/B !
3. Da BEARS have just signed another DT, plus one coming off injury last year, and a couple off season aquisitions (sp), Da BEARS D line is in great shape ! Tommy is back 100% !

You cheese eaters better look out ! Da BEARS are comming, and they are hungery ! :twisted:

First are you sure he wants to play? He sure didn't look like he wanted to play in the biggest game of his short career. SB

2nd there not hungry they got there and that was good enough for them. They will not have the same tough D like last year. and I mean PERIOD write it down. It will rank some where around 6th to 9th but not like it was last year.

Rastak
08-01-2007, 09:52 PM
I agree Shadow. I see the Bears as a team on the decline. They still have two years, maybe three to be good, but I think last year was their best shot and they missed it. Grossman taking a huge step could make them similar to last year but I doubt that will happen.

I don't see the Bears as a team on the decline but they certainly are vulnerable. I don't see them as unbeatable but as the class of the division.

HarveyWallbangers
08-01-2007, 10:25 PM
I don't see the Bears as a team on the decline but they certainly are vulnerable. I don't see them as unbeatable but as the class of the division.

I'd agree. They remind me of the Packers of 2001-2004. Good team, dominating a crappy division, but not quite championship caliber.

BEARMAN
08-01-2007, 10:44 PM
How do I save thease comments so as when Da BEARS go to the SB (again) this year I can pull them out and rub your collective noises in them ? :twisted:

Yes, Benson wants to be the featured back and play !

Our "D" is as strong if not stronger then last year ! Tommy and Mike are back at 110% ! Lance is singed and will play. We have added Archaleta and some DT's, Tank who ?

What did the pack do to better themselves in the off season ? Nothing ! :shock:

The Shadow
08-01-2007, 10:57 PM
I would be greatly surprised - no, shocked - if Tommie Harris returns to pre-injury form. His greatest asset was the quick first step, and a hamstring injury of that magnitude simply does not evaporate without the player losing a significant amount of 'suddeness'.
Thomas Jones was a very important part of the locker room leadership of that team. In addition, he was a gutsy type - and the Bears players loved that. Cedric Benson is roundly disliked by his own team, plus his Super Bowl little girl act did not sit well with teammates. Jones' absence, combined with Benson's less than stellar performance, represents another downward trend for the Bears.
Experience is great - but Reuben Brown's continuing decline is cause for concern - and he's now ANOTHER year older. Fred Miller also continiues to noticeably slow - and Aaron Kampman surely must be licking his chops over the prospect of multi-sack games.
The Bears have some very glaring problems, despite the glowing media powderpuff pieces about their offense.

HarveyWallbangers
08-01-2007, 10:59 PM
On the other side: Archuleta blows, they lost their best RB, Muhsin is on his final legs, their non-descript OL overachieved last year, and the league figured out Sexy Rexy after the first half of the season.

Scott Campbell
08-01-2007, 11:01 PM
How do I save thease comments so as when Da BEARS go to the SB (again) this year I can pull them out and rub your collective noises in them ? :twisted:

Uhhhhhh....hate to break it to you. But you dissappeared for months after your last trip to the Superbowl. You sure you want to go through that misery again?

Bretsky
08-01-2007, 11:05 PM
I would be greatly surprised - no, shocked - if Tommie Harris returns to pre-injury form. His greatest asset was the quick first step, and a hamstring injury of that magnitude simply does not evaporate without the player losing a significant amount of 'suddeness'.
Thomas Jones was a very important part of the locker room leadership of that team. In addition, he was a gutsy type - and the Bears players loved that. Cedric Benson is roundly disliked by his own team, plus his Super Bowl little girl act did not sit well with teammates. Jones' absence, combined with Benson's less than stellar performance, represents another downward trend for the Bears.
Experience is great - but Reuben Brown's continuing decline is cause for concern - and he's now ANOTHER year older. Fred Miller also continiues to noticeably slow - and Aaron Kampman surely must be licking his chops over the prospect of multi-sack games.
The Bears have some very glaring problems, despite the glowing media powderpuff pieces about their offense.

Shadow,

I'm surprised to see the Thomas Jones comments; I was listening to a Bears Radio Homer station while driving in ILL a month ago and they stressed that Thomas Jones in the locker room will not be missed one bit. Indicated he was a selfish player.

To be honest I have no clue at all either way.

Just glad they have Grossman

The Shadow
08-01-2007, 11:12 PM
B :
I've heard just the opposite.
Benson is generally disliked & not trusted; Jones was greatly appreciated.

oregonpackfan
08-01-2007, 11:29 PM
I look forward to watching the Packers beat the Bears at the PackerRats gathering on October 7th.

Let's get a lotttery going among the PackerRats to determine which one of us gets to take Bearman home to use as a rug in front of the fireplace! :)

The Shadow
08-01-2007, 11:30 PM
Methinks poor Bearman is already feeling the collar tightening......

Bossman641
08-01-2007, 11:58 PM
I'm agreeing with Shadow here. I've heard many times over that Jones was much preferred to Benson by the Bear players. Perhaps they've changed their tune since the trade was made, but I've been hearing that Jones was better liked for about a year.

Fritz
08-02-2007, 07:26 AM
At the moment, the Bears are still the most talented team in the division. And they did go to the SB.

Hurts to say that, but I don't dislike da Bears as much as I do the Queens (Sorry, Rastak - though you have eased my dislike with your even-handedness)

Scott Campbell
08-05-2007, 09:36 PM
Such a shame.

BEARS SAY MESSAGE ISN'T BEING SENT TO CED-BEN

With unhappy running back Thomas Jones being shipped to the Jets in the offseason, most NFL observers assume that Cedric Benson, the No. 4 overall pick in the 2005 draft, will be the featured tailback in an offense that could be a very good one this season.

On Saturday, however, Benson was at practice -- but Adrian Peterson took "virtually all of the reps" with the first-team offense.

Coach Lovie Smith says that Benson's role at the No. 1 guy isn't in jeopardy. "Once you go through a week or so, most of the skill players can use a day off," Smith said, according to the Chicago Tribune. "Cedric was a little sore so I had him get a few individual reps and held him out the rest of the time. Adrian is a big part of what we're going to do. Once you have a player like that move into that role, it's always good to see them play with the 1's."

But if this is merely a case of giving Benson a day off, then the Bears should have given him the day off. Having him dressed and present but not part of the first-team offense can be interpreted as a message --to Benson and to the rest of us.

The Tribune notes that Benson has had a little bit of a fumbling thing in camp, and we've got a feeling that the Bears have decided to get Peterson ready in the event that Benson has trouble holding onto the ball in the preseason, or once the regular season gets started.

And if Peterson ends up as the starter at any point this year, we suggest that either he or the tailback of the same name in the same division consider changing from Adrian to something like Stuart, Todd, Alex, Ned, Ellis, or Remy.

The Shadow
08-05-2007, 09:49 PM
The Bears made a major mistake in letting Jones go in favor of Benson.
It will come back to bite them : soon.

Dabaddestbear
08-05-2007, 11:03 PM

Thats what everyone thought Dante Hall would do for the chiefs...
the difference is Dante NEVER showed flashes of being anything other than a returner. If you look back to his reports in camp during his experiment they made statements then that he didnt look as natural at the position. I am not saying Hester will be a world beater, but he will not be a Dante Hall.

Dabaddestbear
08-05-2007, 11:13 PM
The Bears have everything they need except for a QB. If Grossman steps it up they win...if he does not improve they will not win a SB. He is really going to have to carry the offense this year without the two headed RB there to cover his ass. The D will keep them in games when the offense stagnates but the D is not going to win a SB alone.
You guys keep saying if Rex improves and ect...
But it is Clearly stating in this article posted that he has done just that. But I understand that you have to find a chink in the Armor somewhere and Rex is a Viable candidate to see as the chink.

Dabaddestbear
08-05-2007, 11:20 PM

That Superbowl was played without Key players on defense in All pro's Brown and Tommie Harris. Add to that mix a nice addition to DT position, a sure handed top speed TE, with a new WR weapon to accompany the speedy Berrian and Moose and you have an much improved team. Are you actually reading the reports from camp on the Bears? Or better yet even this report posted here? Rex is better, Benson is quicker and more surehanded out the backfield than outsiders previously thought, and The WR corp is better and deeper than last year. But I will try not to get too excited till they start hitting other teams...lol.

Dabaddestbear
08-05-2007, 11:24 PM
How do grossman taking a Big step make them only similar to last year? If I am not mistaken everyone says Grossman is the reason they lost, so How can he being better make them still the same? Addition of Grossman improvement plus better offensive weapons and extras added to an already good defense makes for a an even better team. All additions and no subtractions.What math are you doing?

Dabaddestbear
08-05-2007, 11:28 PM

Just some positive thinking. :mrgreen: :cow:This my prediction on the bears D.
Will not finish in top 5 this year right it down.
Here is my prediction.... PACK4TO84 will not be around to eat his crow at the end of the year.
Another post saved for embarrassment to an unknowing packer fan later...lol.

BEARMAN
08-05-2007, 11:35 PM

Uhhhhhh....hate to break it to you. But you dissappeared for months after your last trip to the Superbowl. You sure you want to go through that misery again?

Not that I need to clarify myself, or justify anything to you, but I was asked to , ..... stay away for awhile. It was asked politly and I respected their wish. Enuff on that, ... You are going to be surprised when an old Chicago BEARS line allows Rex to have all the time he needs to throw pass after pass after pass on his way to leading us back to the SB ! 8-)
Benson will do just fine, and when he rushes for TD after TD, all his team mates will be patting him on the back showing much luv for his play.
Moose, Berrien, Clark, Olsen and Hester make a recieving core as good or better then any in the NFL.
Rex is being taught to step up into the pocket, check down and run if need be. Rex will be allowed to operate out of the shotgun, witch he likes.
I have a feeling that farve and the pack will have their hands full when Da BEARS come calling !

GrnBay007
08-05-2007, 11:52 PM
allows Rex to have all the time he needs to throw pass after pass after pass

....to throw interception after interception after interception. Yep! Lookin forward to that. :D

Dabaddestbear
08-06-2007, 01:07 AM
allows Rex to have all the time he needs to throw pass after pass after pass

....to throw interception after interception after interception. Yep! Lookin forward to that. :D
Who leads the NFl in INT's?

Dabaddestbear
08-06-2007, 01:13 AM
Actually his hamstring snapped from the bone which translates his repair into a quicker first step(Physicians words not mine). Bensons teamates never said anything about him ot going back in. That was the media hype. The coaches would not allow him to go back in when he wanted to. You guys keep talking about the Bears O-line just cuz the media mentioned they are getting older...lol. They still performed very good last year and when did you notice Reuben Browns decline? did you see those holes he opened up for the RB's last year "consistently? They have glaring weaknesses huh? Please point them out so I can laugh later.

Dabaddestbear
08-06-2007, 01:18 AM
I'm agreeing with Shadow here. I've heard many times over that Jones was much preferred to Benson by the Bear players. Perhaps they've changed their tune since the trade was made, but I've been hearing that Jones was better liked for about a year.
Of course, he was the Vet that they all knew. Who do you prefer on your block your next door neighbor of the last few years that you hung out with or some new kid that wants to replace your old friend. Its natural human nature. And once again its more media hype then anything. Only thing that matters is what they do on the field. And say what you want but Benson is a gamer.

Zool
08-06-2007, 08:06 AM
Actually his hamstring snapped from the bone which translates his repair into a quicker first step(Physicians words not mine). Bensons teamates never said anything about him ot going back in. That was the media hype. The coaches would not allow him to go back in when he wanted to. You guys keep talking about the Bears O-line just cuz the media mentioned they are getting older...lol. They still performed very good last year and when did you notice Reuben Browns decline? did you see those holes he opened up for the RB's last year "consistently? They have glaring weaknesses huh? Please point them out so I can laugh later.

I dunno about plural, but QB is to be one. Also you actually have to play in the league for 16+ years to have a shot at a record. How is Tomczak? I saw McNown bagging groceries the other day with Harbaugh at the register.

Where is Hutchinson nowadays. I figured he would be getting the carts in the parking lot.

retailguy
08-06-2007, 08:12 AM
Who leads the NFl in INT's?

George Blanda

The Shadow
08-06-2007, 08:42 AM

Hmmm. Did I mention your quarterback?

cpk1994
08-06-2007, 10:15 AM

I dunno about plural, but QB is to be one. Also you actually have to play in the league for 16+ years to have a shot at a record. How is Tomczak? I saw McNown bagging groceries the other day with Harbaugh at the register.

Where is Hutchinson nowadays. I figured he would be getting the carts in the parking lot.

How about:

Henry Burris
Dave Krieg
Erik Kramer
Shane Matthews
Moses Moreno
Peter Tom Willis
Wil Furrer

or any of the 20 quarterbacks who have started for the Bears during Favres games streak God Da Bears have tried everybody but their beer vendors in that time. Their Favre envy continues to grow.

Zool
08-06-2007, 10:39 AM

How about:

Henry Burris
Dave Krieg
Erik Kramer
Shane Matthews
Moses Moreno
Peter Tom Willis
Wil Furrer

or any of the 20 quarterbacks who have started for the Bears during Favres games streak God Da Bears have tried everybody but their beer vendors in that time. Their Favre envy continues to grow.
PT Willis was a super stud QB. If Moses cant save a franchise from an embarrasing QB run, no one can.

Erik Kramer couldnt win with Barry Sanders, Herman Moore and Brett Perriman, what made you guys think he could win with Rashaan Salaam, Rickey Proehl and Bobby Engram?

pack4to84
08-06-2007, 10:58 AM
http://www.rrstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070805/SPORTS10/108050046/1089/SPORTS

"The defensive side seems to be winning the debate, while losing the battle on the field.

One of the early buzzes as the Chicago Bears entered Week Two of training camp is how the offense seems to have the edge on the defense. Defensive players support the theory; offensive members apparently don’t want to sound like they’re bragging."

Bears Offense is ahead of the Defense. Doesn't look good for your D. When was the last time you heard your D having problems this early in train camp. Your D has always been ahead of your O since early 80's. I am telling you your D will not be as good as last year or year before Defense was.[/code]

MadtownPacker
08-06-2007, 11:20 AM
Not that I need to clarify myself, or justify anything to you, but I was asked to , ..... stay away for awhile. It was asked politly and I respected their wish.When did this happen?? Save that shit, you tucked your tail and went into hibernation after the Superbowl and just recently showed your face. You and badbear both did this so please save the crow eating talking because you guys left your plates full.

Scott Campbell
08-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Not that I need to clarify myself, or justify anything to you, but I was asked to , ..... stay away for awhile. It was asked politly and I respected their wish.When did this happen?? Save that shit, you tucked your tail and went into hibernation after the Superbowl and just recently showed your face. You and badbear both did this so please save the crow eating talking because you guys left your plates full.

He didn't say who asked. Maybe it was his wife? Or maybe it was his grief counselor - Dr. Heimlich?

BEARMAN
08-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Lord Farve's rein is over ! This IS his last season, he is old and slow and he is making poor decisions. Who is your back-up, Rogers who ? Keep living in the past, you are in for a long stay at the bottom of the NFCN.
On the other hand Da BEARS are lookin at a bright future, with many winning seasons and another run at the SB ! Stop looking backwards and start looking ahead at your dismal future. :twisted:

MJZiggy
08-07-2007, 12:32 PM
Uhhh...we were SECOND in the NFCN last year and we're a much stronger team now than we were a year ago. And as to the "old" QB that you were coveting much of the offseason, he's still a damn site better than that one you have down there, you know the one quite aptly nicknamed WREX...Bears are sinking fast. Best get used to the idea now...

Zool
08-07-2007, 12:33 PM
Best keep Wrex away from cereal and soup.

woodbuck27
08-07-2007, 12:41 PM
You Bear fans arn't the least bit concerned about all that ala Lion hype you've been getting from the media?

That could be the kiss of. . . :)

How's Greg Olsen looking, really?

cpk1994
08-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Lord Favre's rein is over ! This IS his last season, he is old and slow and he is making poor decisions. Who is your back-up, Rogers who ? Keep living in the past, you are in for a long stay at the bottom of the NFCN.
On the other hand Da BEARS are lookin at a bright future, with many winning seasons and another run at the SB ! Stop looking backwards and start looking ahead at your dismal future. :twisted:

You make me laugh. The Your GM would glady take Favre right now over Wrex and Griese. Talk about two steaming piles.

The Shadow
08-07-2007, 01:09 PM
Lord Favre's rein is over !

'Rein'? Freudian slip?
Do you mean the 'leash' Favre has had 'over' your pathetic team for years?
Are you merely restating that that dominating 'rein' still demonstrates a noose over the Bears and will continue to condemn them to mediocrity?
We already know that.
By the way, we all hope you greatly enjoyed the Super Bowl.
We sure did!

Scott Campbell
08-07-2007, 01:50 PM
'Rein'? Freudian slip?
Do you mean the 'leash' Favre has had 'over' your pathetic team for years?
Are you merely restating that that dominating 'rein' still demonstrates a noose over the Bears and will continue to condemn them to mediocrity?
We already know that.

Wow - that's a great theory. But sadly, he just can't spell.

BEARMAN
08-07-2007, 09:11 PM
True, I do not spell well.
True, Lord Farve is old and on his last legs.
True, The pack is far worse then any of you homers want to admit.
True, The pack did nothing to improove their lot in off season, nor in the draft.
Untrue, Rex is a bad QB.
Untrue, Da BEARS will not go to the post season.
Untrue, Pack fans are tards.

:duel: :butt: :flag:

The Shadow
08-07-2007, 09:30 PM
True, I do not spell well.
True, Lord Favre is old and on his last legs.
True, The pack is far worse then any of you homers want to admit.
True, The pack did nothing to improove their lot in off season, nor in the draft.
Untrue, Rex is a bad QB.
Untrue, Da BEARS will not go to the post season.
Untrue, Pack fans are tards.

:duel: :butt: :flag:

Bearman : First of all, please know that I was not making sport of your spelling - substituting 'rein' for 'reign' is a mistake any of us could have made in the heat of the moment.
Now then : To tell you the truth, I've missed your (misguided) posts; many of us thought the embarassing performance of your team in the Super Bowl had driven you into permanent hibernation.
But here you are, whistling past the graveyard again as you must enter a new season with the same HUGE Grossman problem, compounded by a badly aging offensive line, a nutcase running back, and a disgruntled linebacker.
Welcome back. Did you enjoy your last New Year's meeting with the Green Bay Packers?

green_bowl_packer
08-07-2007, 10:41 PM
http://www.deadspin.com/assets/resources/2007/01/downgoesrex.jpg

green_bowl_packer
08-07-2007, 10:45 PM
Double

BEARMAN
08-07-2007, 11:52 PM
Shadow, Thank you for the kind words, Tis good to be back sparing with you pack luvrs. As embarassing as the performance was in the SB, it was the SB ! Da BEARS did go to the SB ! Even tho you think Rex is inferiour and our O line is old, Da BEARS are legit SB contenders, can we say that of the pack, me thinks not. The last game last season ment little to Da BEARS, they had sewed up home feild, with a first round bye and had nothing to proove/gain. Let us not dwell on the past and look to the future, Da BEARS future is bright, NFCN champs, NFC champs and on our way back to the SB. On the other hand, the pack has a aged QB, rooks in key position, new coaches and new players looking at rebuilding, for, what 3, 4, 5 years. I am looking forward to Da BEARS dominating the NFCN and the NFC for years to come ! :duel: :flag:

Bretsky
08-07-2007, 11:58 PM
Shadow, Thank you for the kind words, Tis good to be back sparing with you pack luvrs. As embarassing as the performance was in the SB, it was the SB ! Da BEARS did go to the SB ! Even tho you think Rex is inferiour and our O line is old, Da BEARS are legit SB contenders, can we say that of the pack, me thinks not. The last game last season ment little to Da BEARS, they had sewed up home feild, with a first round bye and had nothing to proove/gain. Let us not dwell on the past and look to the future, Da BEARS future is bright, NFCN champs, NFC champs and on our way back to the SB. On the other hand, the pack has a aged QB, rooks in key position, new coaches and new players looking at rebuilding, for, what 3, 4, 5 years. I am looking forward to Da BEARS dominating the NFCN and the NFC for years to come ! :duel: :flag:

Pinch yourself Bearman

At BEST you are the fourth best team in the NFL.

Rex will not lead you to a SuperBowl win

BTW, your OL if fine; as a matter of fact if you had anybody resembling a leader at QB I'd be worried you're headed for a title.

Here's to Rex :glug: :glug: :glug: :glug: :glug: :glug:

BEARMAN
08-08-2007, 07:50 PM
ok, Ok, OK, ... enuff Rex bashing, he will do it or he will not do it, only time will tell. "IF" he dose it I will be doing an irish jig all over you packer rat's board ! "IF" he dose not do it, I will be looking to next year just like you pack fans have been doing for the last few years.
Bretsky, stop, ... please don't, ... stop. I am getting that warm fuzzy feeling again, last time I got that I slept on the couch for a week !? :oops: Here's to an injury free pre season for both our teams ! :glug:
What do you think our first meeting's outcome will be? I think it will be close till the fourth quarter when Rex makes two long TD passes (Moose and Hester) for a 24 to 10 BEARS win. 8-)

4and12to12and4
08-08-2007, 08:23 PM
Hey, em'bear'assment, do you post on other boards, such as Bears sites also, and if so, could you give me the address, so that I can read the garble all you folks are writing over there?

Oh,wait, forget it, I don't need it, I have the misfortune of living in the Chicagoland area, and most of my friends are em'bear'assment fans, so, I've heard it all. In fact, I had a front row seat at the Superbowl since they wanted to be at my house because of my bigscreen TV, so I got to watch their faces turn red as the Bears got their asses handed to them. I'll never forget that day!!

To be proud of losing a SuperBowl just shows how pathetic the past 20 years have been to you guys (especially since Favre bacame a Bear killer). Nobody here brags or talks about the asswhipping we got from Denver, we choose to talk about when we WON the SB.

I do agree that on paper the em'bear'assments are a bit better than the Pack RIGHT NOW, but then again, who would've thought the Cardinals would beat the Tigers in a series of seven games? Answer: NO ONE!!

So, brag away, as you're team seems to have a good amount of talent right now, but we here at Packerrats know how bad it hurt when Favre "the old man" whipped you're em'bear'assments asses the final game, I know especially well, because I watched the game with "you're kind", and it was pretty damn satisfying. Who knows, "The Gunslinger" might have a couple more bullets left in the barrell for you guys. For your sake, I hope not, because, I know it's been a rough decade and a half for you. Maybe it's time for Da em'bear'assments to get their ring, but if you ask me, they had and missed their chance last year. There were much better teams in the AFC that didn't make it to the SB last year, you guys lost to the third or fourth best. I wouldn't make such a big deal out of it if it were my team.

Or, maybe I would, we are all homers, aren't we? So, as you say, I hope both teams stay healthy, and let's hope that if the Pack win on Dec. 23rd this year, you're QB won't blame it on Santa Claus. :oops:

MJZiggy
08-08-2007, 08:24 PM
ok, Ok, OK, ... enuff Rex bashing, he will do it or he will not do it, only time will tell. "IF" he dose it I will be doing an irish jig all over you packer rat's board ! "IF" he dose not do it, I will be looking to next year just like you pack fans have been doing for the last few years.
Bretsky, stop, ... please don't, ... stop. I am getting that warm fuzzy feeling again, last time I got that I slept on the couch for a week !? :oops: Here's to an injury free pre season for both our teams ! :glug:
What do you think our first meeting's outcome will be? I think it will be close till the fourth quarter when Rex makes two long TD passes (Moose and Hester) for a 24 to 10 BEARS win. 8-)

More likely those two TD passes will go to either Woodson or Collins...

BEARMAN
08-08-2007, 08:53 PM
Hey 4and12to12and4, you are mistaken, we are NOT proud of losing the SB ! We are however proud to have gotten there! And damn proud of the fact that we are going back again this season ! "a BIT better" is an understatment ! Da BEARS are so much better then the pack this year both on paper and on the field. How many times... oh well, ok you beat Da BEARS second and third stringers ! WhoopdieDoo ! (Get over it, we have !) :roll:

GBRulz
08-08-2007, 08:55 PM
Found this next to Rex's profile on NFL.com :lol:

http://www.idph.state.il.us/images/chokingposter.jpg

BEARMAN
08-08-2007, 09:05 PM
LOL, you are a funny man, (NOT) :roll:

I wish I was more pc savy, I would put Lord Farve in a wheel chair, with cheese wiz spilled on his lap and his faulse teeth falling out, but, alass I am pc illiterate, however I am sure that my description is vivid in your alls minds eye ! :twisted: :duel: :flag:

MadtownPacker
08-08-2007, 09:09 PM
I wish I was more pc savy, I would put Lord Favre in a wheel chair, with cheese wiz spilled on his lap and his faulse teeth falling out,The sad part (for you) is that he would still find a way to beat the bears!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

green_bowl_packer
08-08-2007, 09:20 PM
That's a big IF!
http://mycasualthoughts.com/pictures/2007February/Eww.jpg

green_bowl_packer
08-08-2007, 09:21 PM
http://media.abqtrib.com/albq/content/img/photos/2007/02/05/020507_grossFumble_t600.jpg[img]

4and12to12and4
08-08-2007, 10:00 PM
Hey 4and12to12and4, you are mistaken, we are NOT proud of losing the SB ! We are however proud to have gotten there! And damn proud of the fact that we are going back again this season ! "a BIT better" is an understatment ! Da BEARS are so much better then the pack this year both on paper and on the field. How many times... oh well, ok you beat Da BEARS second and third stringers ! WhoopdieDoo ! (Get over it, we have !) :roll:

Yes you are proud of it, cuz you don't stop talking about it. We could go on for hours discussing which positions are better on each team, but we have you in CB's, QB's, DT's are close, OL is close, LB's are close, and if Mr. Hester doesn't pull another probowl type year this season, you guys aren't that much better than us. I mean, you can say we beat you with 2nd stringers, but we both know we were kickin' yer ass before the replacements came in, and I've watched that game 20 times, the Bears, regardless of the BS Grossman said, WERE busting their asses, they knew how important this game was for their fans, if not, why did Grossman and the starters even play the entire first half? Because Lovey and Co. DID NOT want to lose that game. Period. We kicked you're ass and we're the better team that night. Deal with it. I can't wait unitl October 7th.

The Shadow
08-08-2007, 10:29 PM
The Bears have some very glaring problems that the rosy preseason puff pieces conveniently overlook :
1. Losing Thomas Jones was huge. Cedric Benson is just not the smart, gutsy/tough runner, and to boot, his teammates dislike him. His wonderful Super Bowl 'performance' tells you what he's all about. The decision to let Jones go and place faith in this bozo is one all Packer fans will love very soon.
2. Tommis Harris' hamstring injury appears to have robbed him of the quick first step his game was built around. Losing the very underrated Ian Scott - who plugged things up so Harris could penetrate - and replacing him with journeyman Darwin Walker, who is known for disappearing for long stretches, is also going to negatively affect the defense.
3. The offensive line is now still another year older. Reuben Brown's already declining effectiveness is not helped by another birthday candle. Fred Miller, the right tackle, already having trouble handling speed on the outside, has yet another year of wear and tear on his bones, and looks to be in for a tough season.
4. Rex Grossman is still, well, Rex Grossman. As long as the Bears have to rely on Mr. Erratic Chicago talk will continue to center on their 85 team.

Declining teams are rarely identified in the preseason hoopla. It seems that prognosticators merely look to the past season and predict about the same results. That's why every year that several teams that were supposed to be good (because they were successful the previous season) fall flat and it's a big 'surprise'.
And : there are always the occasional, oh, 8-8 teams, shall we say, that suddenly emerge as 'Cinderella' contenders that the 'experts' just never saw developing steadily over time.

BEARMAN
08-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Shadow, Shadow, Shadow, you are a very insecure, confused fan, please allow me to help.
First take that rotten cheese off your head, it has blurred your vision so badly that you think the pack accualy has a chance to go 8 - 8. Pour that kool-aid out and get some JD, your gonna need a strong shot once the regular season starts and you see how bad the pack realy is. Now one last thing you can do is to say to yourself over an over, ... next year, next year, NEXT YEAR ! :shock: :duel: :cat: :flag:

LOL@MadtownPacker ! maybe, maybe..... :doh:

The Shadow
08-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Hmmm... Bearboy, you never addressed the Bear weaknesses, so succinctly laid out by yours truly.
You see them too, don't you Furry One?

BEARMAN
08-09-2007, 11:13 PM
Shadow,
#1, TD is a great RB, and Da BEARS will miss his productivity, however, Benson showed signs of greatness last year. He is reported to be doing very well in camp. "bozo" ? We shall see who's the BOZO as he runs threw your defence ! Benson is a dimond in the ruff, just wait and see !
#2, The reports from camp say Tommie Harris is even faster now, somthing about shortening his tenden? Brian says he is faster then he has ever seen him. Walker is a vetern that will help alot. Our rookie, Dusty is healthy and looking to make an impact. Our D line is going to be better then last year !
#3, Our O line is one of the best in the NFL ! Veterns all, pro bowl center. Brown declining? WTF ? Where do you get your info ? Miller, Tait, Browm, Krutz all best at their posisions ! stop :beat:
#4, As far as Rex, He has been training to step up into the pocket and not throw off his back foot. He is also being told to run the ball when no one is open, instead of forcing a pass that may be intercepted. Word is he is having a GREAT camp.
#5, With all the veterns looking good, Rex getting better, the defence playing as well or better then ever, Hester on offence and two TE sets, Da BEARS look to run the NFCN, the NFC, and go to the SB again ! :soap: :duel: :flag:

HarveyWallbangers
08-09-2007, 11:18 PM
Miller, Tait, Browm, Krutz all best at their posisions

Laughable.

Da BEARS look to run the NFCN, the NFC, and go to the SB again

Only to rip your heart again by losing to an AFC team again in the Super Bowl. Maybe you could get a Bills-like run going. Then again, maybe your team will almost be a "fart in the wind."

cpk1994
08-10-2007, 04:14 AM

Yes you are proud of it, cuz you don't stop talking about it. We could go on for hours discussing which positions are better on each team, but we have you in CB's, QB's, DT's are close, OL is close, LB's are close, and if Mr. Hester doesn't pull another probowl type year this season, you guys aren't that much better than us. I mean, you can say we beat you with 2nd stringers, but we both know we were kickin' yer ass before the replacements came in, and I've watched that game 20 times, the Bears, regardless of the BS Grossman said, WERE busting their asses, they knew how important this game was for their fans, if not, why did Grossman and the starters even play the entire first half? Because Lovey and Co. DID NOT want to lose that game. Period. We kicked you're ass and we're the better team that night. Deal with it. I can't wait unitl October 7th.

I wouild like to add to your good post that Bearfan DaBaddestBear need to go back to Lovies introductory press conference where he stressed the imnportance of beaing the Packers. If they wern't busting their ass in that last game, then that goes against what Lovie stands for. But for the Bear trolls, excuses they are making are intended to rationalize getting their ass handed to them.

Jerry Tagge
08-10-2007, 03:13 PM

That Superbowl was played without Key players on defense in All pro's Brown and Tommie Harris. Add to that mix a nice addition to DT position, a sure handed top speed TE, with a new WR weapon to accompany the speedy Berrian and Moose and you have an much improved team. Are you actually reading the reports from camp on the Bears? Or better yet even this report posted here? Rex is better, Benson is quicker and more surehanded out the backfield than outsiders previously thought, and The WR corp is better and deeper than last year. But I will try not to get too excited till they start hitting other teams...lol.
How many games have the Bears played this year?

Everyone looks great in training camp. Mike Tomczak was the greatest training camp QB of all time.

Jerry Tagge
08-10-2007, 03:16 PM

I wouild like to add to your good post that Bearfan DaBaddestBear need to go back to Lovies introductory press conference where he stressed the imnportance of beaing the Packers. If they wern't busting their ass in that last game, then that goes against what Lovie stands for. But for the Bear trolls, excuses they are making are intended to rationalize getting their ass handed to them.
Bears clowns have lots of experience rationalizing losses. Especially losses to the Packers.