PDA

View Full Version : Fluff Pieces

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2007, 12:02 AM
Series of fluff pieces to follow.

McCarthy sees great things on horizon
By ROB REISCHEL

Green Bay - Ted Thompson dropped the gauntlet in some respects recently when the Green Bay Packers general manager stated: "For me personally, I'm ready to win. I think it's time for this team to win and I think we're ready to do that."

During his first official press conference of the 2007 season, Packers head coach Mike McCarthy didn't run from that.

"We're trying to win every football game," McCarthy said. "We're going to win the world championship here in Green Bay again. That's the view, that's the vision. We've made progress toward that goal, and we need to continue to have those small successes as we build toward that goal, and that's the way I view it."

McCarthy led Green Bay to an 8-8 season a year ago during his first season as a head coach. The Packers finished the year on a four-game winning streak, leading to great optimism heading into the off-season.

Some of that enthusiasm was tempered when the Packers were a non-factor in free agency and couldn't complete a trade for wide receiver Randy Moss. Thompson also had an extremely suspect draft in the eyes of many.

McCarthy wouldn't get into specific goals when it came to victories and losses for the 2007 Packers. But he clearly believes his team can improve on last year's .500 season and second-place finish in the NFC North.

"We want to get better. We want to get better every day," he said. "To make progress, you want to win more games than you did last year. I think all those things are obvious. We're moving forward. We're working to move forward and very pleased with what we accomplished here in the past few months, and looking forward to taking the field (for training camp) as a football team."

The greatest questions surrounding McCarthy's team still remain on the offensive side of the football - especially at running back.

The Packers had the 23rd ranked rushing offense in football in 2006, and from that they lost Ahman Green, the second-leading rusher in franchise history. Green Bay has no idea who will replace Green, and might eventually settle on a running-back-by-committee approach with Vernand Morency and Brandon Jackson.

"I think we have a lot of young men who have taken full advantage of our structure and our off-season program and have moved forward in their development," McCarthy said. "And we need to see those dividends start to pay off here in training camp."

Running back is just one of many offensive mysteries, though.

Green Bay ranked just 22nd in points scored a year ago with 301, an average of just 18.8 per game. That was the third fewest points the Packers averaged since Brett Favre began quarterbacking the team in 1992.

Favre played with greater control in 2006 than '05, when he threw a career-high 29 interceptions. Still, his quarterback rating of 72.7 was the third-lowest of his career.

The Packers don't have a proven wide receiver after standout Donald Driver, who was sidelined during the start of camp with a nagging shoulder injury. The tight end group is a mess. And Green Bay ranked a dismal 31st in red-zone offense a year ago.

Somehow, someway, though, the Packers believe they can be better offensively.

"The improvement, No. 1 , has to come as a whole," McCarthy said. "You can go through every position. Our offensive line group will be a better group this year, just based on experience. The tight end group, we need to get more production out of that group, and they probably had the most learning for the perimeter group on offense as far as doing things they hadn't been asked to do before, so I look for that group just to improve based on their experience.

"And we've added some guys to the wide receiver group, and the wide receiver group needs to get healthy, frankly. Running back . . . I think Morency really was productive for us with his opportunities last year. I look for him to improve. So I just think we will improve from within. That's what I'm selling, doesn't sound like you're buying, so we'll have to wait and see."

Green Bay's defense closed the 2006 season with a bang. And it figures to be the strength of 2007, as well.

The Packers allowed just 10.5 points per game over the final four contests after giving up 27.0 points in the first 12 games. Green Bay's fast finish allowed it to finish 12th in total defense, 13th against the run, 17th vs. the pass and tied for 25th in scoring defense.

Green Bay has one of the league's better cornerback tandems in Charles Woodson and Al Harris. The Packers' linebackers, led by budding star A.J. Hawk, could be a force.

But when asked where his greatest depth was at, McCarthy said defensive line.

"I think you have to say the defensive line is the group that has the most experience," he said. "I think that's a group that played very consistent last year, and I think it will be one of the better defensive line groups in the league this year."

Green Bay is coming off back-to-back seasons of finishing 32nd in a ranking of special teams units compiled by Dallas Morning News reporter Rick Gosselin. And the Packers fully understand they must show significant improvement there to make a considerable jump in the standings.

Incumbent kicker Dave Rayner will have to hold off sixth-round draft pick Mason Crosby. Punter Jon Ryan's year was only mediocre. And the return units - specifically on kickoffs - must be upgraded.

"Special teams is very important," McCarthy said. "I think we have a young, talented bunch in that area. We donate a big part of our practice segment . . . they get equal meeting time, just like offense and defense. So it's very important, and I definitely feel we'll be much improved in that area."

The Packers have been proverbial slow starters in recent years. In 2006 and '04, Green Bay opened 1-4 and in 2005 it began 0-4 - a combined 2-12.

One of McCarthy's biggest goals this season is reversing that, so he did something dramatically different with the training-camp schedule. McCarthy gave his team off three Wednesday's in August during camp in hopes of keeping his team as fresh as possible for the start of the season.

Green Bay will need to be at its best, too, as four of the Packers' first five opponents were playoff teams a year ago.

"It's important to start fast," McCarthy said. "I think every year you say that in the National Football League. You look at the statistics, how important fast starts are, the percentage that applies to your football team making the playoffs and so forth. So I don't think there's a football team in the league that comes in and is worried about the fast start. Maybe a more veteran football team.

"I don't think it's critical and things like that because you have to play it one game at a time. But to answer your question, we have stressed the fast start. The way we structured our scheduling gives us I think the best opportunity to start fast, because we're getting our work done and we should be fresh coming out of camp and so forth. . . . We need to start fast. It's important."

It's also important for McCarthy to have a strong second season.

He signed a three-year contract when he was hired in January, 2006, making this a huge year for him. With a big year, McCarthy could warrant an extension before the 2008 season. If the Packers backslide, McCarthy could be jettisoned or enter '08 in the final year of his deal.

"I think it's important as a coach, and I can't speak for players, but as a coach, I've never coached any differently regardless of what year I was in my contract," McCarthy said. "I've let my contract run out, I've done different things as an assistant coach. I don't really concern myself with the contract situation.

"All my energy and focus goes on winning the world championship, and taking it step by step. That's clearly my vision. I don't sweat that. I was given the best opportunity in professional sports in my opinion, and I'm trying to take full advantage of it."

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2007, 12:03 AM
Hawk prepared for a long, hot season
By RICHARD PUFALL

Green Bay - It was 83 degrees when the Green Bay Packers opened training camp Saturday, but the blazing sun scorching Clarke Hinkle Field made it seem a lot hotter.

No one in the state of Wisconsin would wear a knit ski cap on a day like this. No one, that is, except A.J. Hawk, Green Bay's second-year rising star at weak-side linebacker.

"I just got comfortable lifting in this in the off-season," Hawk said of the cold-weather lid he wore on this hot, humid July day. "It helps during walk-through when I don't have a helmet on to keep the hair out of my eyes.

"People always ask me about the tights and long sleeves that I wear, but that's just how I practice. I don't play games like that.

"It's hot up here in the summer. People that don't live here think it doesn't get above 40 in Green Bay. It gets hot and humid here, and I like that. That's how camp should be. And I enjoy it."

But people are asking more about the heat Hawk and his defensive teammates will bring against opposing offenses, especially after the team finished last season on a four-game winning streak that salvaged the season with an 8-8 record.

"I think the expectations we have on ourselves are huge because we feel we have a ton of talent on this defense," said Hawk, Green Bay's No. 1 draft choice in 2006 and the No. 5 pick overall.

"Having that year with everyone together last year, and pretty much bringing everyone back, it helps so much in this scheme that we play. Communication is huge. And I think we had a great off-season. This year we want to start out like we ended last year."

The Packers started miserably last season, losing four of their first five games, and Hawk and the defense were handed the bill for most of the damage.

Seven weeks and six games into the season, Green Bay's defense ranked 32nd and dead last in the NFL. The Packers were especially bad against the pass, ranking 32nd, and were 10th against the run.

But Green Bay figured things out over the final 10 games and finished the season with the NFL's 12th-ranked defense.

"We didn't play up to our potential last year, obviously. But I think we can," said Hawk, who led Green Bay's defense with 155 tackles (112 solo). "However high expectations people on the outside have of us as a defense, ours are much higher."

Hawk, middle linebacker Nick Barnett and strong-side linebacker Brady Poppinga, like the rest of the defense, improved as the season unfolded.

"We feel good going into this year," Hawk said. "We just want to have a good camp and make sure we take it into the regular season and start out fast this year."

Many believe that the defense must carry a fading Green Bay offense that lacks playmakers, is led by aging quarterback Brett Favre and will struggle to replace Ahman Green at running back. But Hawk doesn't see it that way.

"I don't think we need to," Hawk said. "We have an explosive offense, a very underrated offense I think. People don't talk about how explosive our offense really is. I don't think we're going to need to, but we feel that as a defense we want to be able to win games. Whatever that takes.

"We're going to come out and try to get turnovers every single day and try to keep the momentum with us. We'll see how it goes, but I think we're a competent defense, for sure."

Hawk, who forged an all-football-all-the-time reputation at Ohio State, says he's focused on winning and not personal statistics.

"I just want to make sure that everyone on our defense can count on me to do my job, that I'll be there every day, practicing and playing the games," Hawk said. "I want them to count on me just like I can count on the rest of them.

"I'm not a big guy that sets numbers on tackles and sacks, I don't do that. I obviously want to make impact plays, but who knows when that's going to happen, so I just make sure I'm accountable with my teammates."

Hawk's account is golden with Barnett, who is starting his fifth season as Green Bay's middle linebacker.

"I think the biggest thing with him is consistency, being able to come in and play and being a true warrior and running to the ball," Barnett said of Hawk. "We've got a lot of good camaraderie between the three of us, Brady Poppinga, A.J. Hawk and myself. We have a certain relationship and that helps a lot when you're out there on the field.

"I think we're going to do some special things. I've got a lot of faith in A.J. and Brady. We've only gotten better since minicamp and last year. Everything is second nature to us now with the scheme. With him (Hawk) now, getting two years under the scheme, I think he's going to be flying around out there."

Hawk agreed, saying a year of experience, minus the distractions and stress built into a rookie season will help him focus on a fast start in 2007.

"It feels a little better this year coming in and not being a first-year guy, not having to worry about getting your contract done," Hawk said.

Hawk said he believes his teammates have bought into the philosophy and approach of Mike McCarthy, Green Bay's second-year head coach.

"I think what everyone really respects about coach McCarthy is how he analyzes himself and analyzes everything we do and tries to make it better," Hawk said. "Changing the schedule up a little bit here and there, getting guys some more rest. He's thinking ahead, he's a progressive thinker and making sure he's taking care of players, doing what's best for the team.

"I think that's what everyone around here respects about him is that he wants what's best for the team, He wants to win, that's his No. 1 goal, just like every guy on this team."

McCarthy has given his players Wednesdays off from practice during the first three weeks of August, hoping to keep them fresh and strong for opening day on Sept. 9. McCarthy made his mission clear when he addressed his players at the start of camp.

"Coach McCarthy, when he gets up and speaks, he's a fiery guy," Hawk said. "He gets everyone going. He just wanted to make sure that this year we don't start out like we did last year."

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2007, 12:07 AM
Driver provides an injury scare
By ROB REISCHEL

Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers received a look at what life without Donald Driver would be like. It's fair to say, they'd rather not see that picture again.

Driver, the Packers' best wide receiver and top offensive playmaker, missed the first three days of training camp after failing his physical due to a right shoulder injury. Driver was back at practice Tuesday morning, though, after passing a second physical Sunday night.

The Packers won't have any limitations on Driver and he appears ready to go from here.

"It feels good," Driver said after Tuesday morning's practice. "They wanted to make sure it was strong enough, so I had to go back in the weight room and do some strength stuff. But, I'm back. And that's a good thing."

Although Driver was sidelined for just a short time, his absence was eye-opening. And the Packers' offense would likely be a shell of itself if it lost the Pro Bowl receiver during the regular season.

"I'm just glad it's July and not October," wide receiver Greg Jennings said when Driver was sidelined. "Donald's a great, great player and it'd be a big blow if we didn't have him at some point this year. He's a great mentor to all of us. To lose that aspect is huge."

During the Packers' physicals last Friday, team physician Patrick McKenzie had Driver put his arms straight out. When McKenzie pushed Driver's arms up and down, Driver could provide very little resistance with his right one.

Driver called the injury a strain to his acromioclavicular (AC) joint, and it's one he first suffered during a Week 14 victory in San Francisco last season. The injury lingered throughout the off-season, but each time it flared up, it improved with rest.

Driver isn't one who likes to rest much, though. And he refused to take much time off during the off-season.

"I'm 32 years old now," he said. "I'm not like these young guys. I've got to keep working if I'm going to stay the No. 1 receiver here."

Driver believes he re-aggravated the injury while lifting weights a few days before camp. Then, when it came time for his physical, the shoulder was still too weak.

"It's just the strength," Driver said at the time. "You have to take time off to make sure the pain goes away. I stopped at times this off-season when the pain kicked in and I was better in no time. I can't keep beating it up. I have to let it heal."

Because there's no tear to the joint, surgery isn't necessary. Instead, Driver will just have to give it proper rest throughout the season.

Driver is one of Green Bay's guttiest players and has missed just one game since becoming a starter in 2002. But the Packers might have to give consideration to lightening his mid-week workload once the regular season rolls around.

A year ago, Driver set career-highs in receptions (92) and receiving yards (1,295), scored eight touchdowns and reached his second Pro Bowl. He was far and away Green Bay's most dynamic offensive force and the Packers would be in serious trouble without him.

"He's a great player, you know," wide receiver Ruvell Martin said of Driver. "He does a lot of good things on the field and obviously, we're a better team with him."

With Driver sidelined for four practices, several Packers had the chance to step forward - and a few took full advantage.

Jennings resembled the player he was last September, not the one who limped to the finish line on a bum ankle. He was quick, precise and sure-handed.

"I feel great, I really do," Jennings said.

But the early star of the group was rookie third-rounder James Jones. The knock on the big, strong, powerful Jones (6-foot-1, 207) coming out of San Jose State was his speed (4.59). But Jones didn't have a problem getting separation against most of Green Bay's cornerbacks, caught everything thrown his way and was running with the No. 1 offense by the third practice.

If Jones keeps up his stellar play, he's likely to have a leg up on players such as Martin, Carlyle Holiday and Robert Ferguson for the No. 3 wide receiver job.

"He's young, there are probably a couple things you didn't notice that he needs to improve on," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said of Jones. "But as far as catching the football and separating from people I think he's been fairly consistent."

Of course, Green Bay hasn't had a receiver as consistent as Driver this decade.

Since becoming a starter in 2002, Driver has averaged 76.8 receptions, 1,081.8 receiving yards and 6.6 touchdowns per season. Over the last three years, those numbers rose to 87.3-1,241.3-7.3.

A year ago, Driver was on the receiving end of a whopping 26.8% of Favre's completions. That was the highest percentage by one player since Robert Brooks hauled in 28.4% in 1995.

So the Packers don't want to do anything to jeopardize Driver's ability to play a full season.

"I don't think about it too much," Driver said. "Once I got the strength back, I was just like, 'Let's play ball.' So now, it's good enough to start running around and making plays."

Which is music to the Packers' ears.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2007, 12:10 AM
Jackson jumps at chance to show what he can do
By ROB REISCHEL

Green Bay - Brandon Jackson remembers playing football in his backyard when he was no more than 8 years old. As players bigger than him, older than him converged, Jackson's nifty feet somehow allowed him to escape.

For the past 15 years, those feet have been Jackson's meal ticket.

"People have always told me I have quick feet, ever since I was a little kid," said Jackson, a rookie running back with the Green Bay Packers. "Playing ball in the backyard, I remember shaking people and I was always complimented on my footwork. I think my feet have always been pretty strong."

Now, Jackson is hoping those feet help him run to a starting position.

Green Bay has a gaping hole at running back following the departure of Ahman Green, the starter from 2000-'06. Jackson is raw and has tons to learn, but he has a legitimate chance to be the starter when the Packers open the season with Philadelphia Sept. 9.

"I think he's got a good build, he's got big hands, big lower body, runs low to the ground, he's got quick feet, he sees things pretty well," Packers general manager Ted Thompson said of Jackson. "I think he wants to be a good player."

And in the early days of training camp, Jackson (5-foot-10, 212) is getting a chance to show it.

Vernand Morency, the favorite to replace Green, dropped out of the first practice of camp with a knee contusion. After Monday's practice, Packers head coach Mike McCarthy said Morency is likely to miss two weeks.

That means Jackson figures to get most of the reps with the No. 1 offense and has a chance to establish himself early.

"I think it gives me a little edge," said Jackson, who played collegiately at Nebraska and left after his junior year. "It gives me a chance to go in almost full-time with the (No.) 1's and execute with every starter out there and get that good chemistry. It's a good situation right now for me."

On the flip side, it's far from an ideal situation for the Packers.

Thompson has said throughout the off-season that the Packers were likely to utilize a backfield-by-committee approach in 2007. Green Bay head coach Mike McCarthy wasn't as committed to that and hoped someone would emerge as the Packers' primary ball carrier.

It was thought Morency (5-10, 212) had the best chance of doing just that. But the fact Morency couldn't make it through the first practice had to be a concernto the coaches.

"Looking at what he's done in the off-season I'm surprised that he had an injury this early," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said of Morency, who is day-to-day. "He doesn't know exactly when it occurred. But . . . I'm not concerned. We've said it over and over again. If it takes one guy to do the job then we'll use one guy. If it takes a committee of backs then we'll do it by committee."

Jackson has a history with the committee approach, sharing time a year ago with three other backs. In fact, Jackson admitted he would have had his work cut out for him this season to win the starting job away from Cornhuskers' junior Marlon Lucky.

"They love that guy," Jackson said of Lucky. "He'll probably play (in the NFL) someday."

Jackson's uncertainty over where he stood at Nebraska was one reason he left school early. But he couldn't have landed in a better spot, as the Packers are desperately trying to find a lead back.

In the early days of practice, Jackson flashed some of the ability that made him a second-round draft choice. He plants extremely well and is quick to the hole. He has the quickness to turn the corner and get upfield. But without question his most impressive attribute remains those feet.

"Great feet," fullback Brandon Miree said of Jackson. "He's going to make a lot of people miss."

It wasn't all seashells and balloons for Jackson, though. Far from it.

Noted for his outstanding hands out of the backfield, Jackson dropped the first two passes thrown his way.

"That usually happens with a rookie," Thompson said.

Jackson was steamrolled in blitz pickup drills, first by linebacker A.J. Hawk on Saturday, then by linebacker Nick Barnett Sunday. Jackson also seemed to be thinking too much, which led to indecisiveness at times.

"This is a different level and I've got to prove myself here again," Jackson said. "I'm proving myself now with Morency out and getting the majority of the reps now. I'm trying to show them I can take over the No. 1 position. I'm just trying to stay sound in my technique and do the right things."

Whether that means Jackson can emerge as the featured back remains to be seen.

Remember, he was never the lead back at Nebraska. And even though Jackson started 9 of 14 games a year ago, he finished with just 188 carries (5.3 average).

The Packers aren't likely to know exactly what they have in Jackson until they play a few exhibition games. And Green Bay might eventually have to add a veteran or make a trade to complete its backfield.

Until then, though, Jackson - and those nifty feet of his - are hoping to take advantage of a golden opportunity.

"I just stay humble and every opportunity I get, I try and take advantage of," Jackson said. "I want to start, but I've got to stay focused on learning the plays, staying sound in my technique and everything. That's the way I can win a starting job."

PlantPage55
08-02-2007, 01:25 AM
Man, I'm the only one that's not getting blown at all these days...

Fritz
08-02-2007, 07:22 AM
Ah, training camp. It's the same in every city. "Free Agent Who Grew Up in Crack Neighborhood and Played Two Years at a Community College Before Flunking Out Hopes to Make Big Impact."

Yeah baby!

HarveyWallbangers
08-08-2007, 10:27 PM
Rookie quarterback figures he has shot
By ROB REISCHEL

Green Bay - Paul Thompson thought his quarterbacking days were done. He figured if he'd ever play in the National Football League, he'd be catching passes, not throwing them.

Like Forrest Gump once said, though, life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get.

Thompson was moved from quarterback to wide receiver during his junior season at Oklahoma. But when Sooners starter Rhett Bomar was dismissed from the team last August, Thompson moved back under center and was asked to save Oklahoma's season.

For the most part, Thompson did just that. It's a big reason why he's in the Green Bay Packers' training camp today and waging a battle to take the No. 3 quarterback job away from Ingle Martin.

"I'm definitely looking to get into at least that (No.) 3 spot," Thompson said last week. "You've got to beat guys out and that's what I want to do and work my way up the ladder. I'm definitely not settling for anything less and going at it full speed ahead."

Thompson is undoubtedly fighting an uphill battle to make the team. But it's become clear that he's more than just a camp arm.

At 6-foot-4, 216 pounds, Thompson has fantastic size. He can make all the throws asked of him and has decent elusiveness and is an outstanding athlete. On the downside, Thompson has struggled with decision-making, has a long, deliberate throwing motion and started at quarterback for just one season at OU.

Still, third-stringer Ingle Martin has been up and down in the early days of camp. And it isn't out of the question that Thompson could unseat Martin.

"I don't know. We'll have to see," Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said when asked if Thompson could beat Martin out. "He's done some good things. He's got a stronger arm than I even remember from OTAs. I thought he had a decent arm, but it's even better."

The biggest problem for Thompson has been getting a chance to show it.

When you're buried at No. 4 on the depth chart, you don't get a lot of reps. But Thompson is trying to make the most of his.

Thompson was impressive during an early practice last week, going 5 of 7 as noise was being pumped across Clarke Hinkle Field. On Friday, he made a gorgeous throw to Carlton Brewster, who had worked free of safety Marquand Manuel.

Then in Saturday's intrasquad scrimmage, Thompson started red-hot before he was intercepted by Will Blackmon. Thompson finished the scrimmage 4 of 8 for 45 yards with one interception. Martin struggled (2 of 7, 7 yards).

"I feel good, but it's tough," Thompson said. "You get a few reps here and there, so it's kind of hard to get in a rhythm. I feel I've been doing well and learning the offense real well. I feel a lot more comfortable every day."

Thompson's in his comfort zone largely because he's playing the position most dear to his heart.

Thompson patiently waited his turn, sitting behind Heisman Trophy winner Jason White his first two years in Norman, Okla. But when Thompson was a junior, he couldn't beat out Bomar - a redshirt freshman - and the coaching staff moved him to wide receiver.

Thompson thought his days under center were over. But just three weeks before Oklahoma's 2006 season opener, Bomar was kicked off the team after receiving payments for work he didn't complete at a local car dealership.

With the Sooners' season potentially in disarray, Thompson played a huge role in saving their year. Thompson started 14 games, threw for 22 touchdowns, 2,667 yards and led Oklahoma to an 11-3 record and a Fiesta Bowl berth, where it lost a memorable game to upstart Boise State.

"A lot of people wrote us off, but luckily I was able to come in and continue to be productive," said Thompson, whose team played much of the year without running back Adrian Peterson, the seventh overall pick in April's draft. "It was just a good collective team unity, sticking to it and not letting anybody pull us down."

Thompson thought his performance would get him drafted in April. The problem was some teams projected him as a wide receiver and others labeled him a quarterback.

In May, Thompson went to rookie camp with the New York Jets - a team that considered him a receiver. But when the Packers called, Thompson left New York for a chance to play the position he loves most.

"I think I'm a quarterback and I think I can play it at this level," Thompson said.

Time will tell if the Packers feel the same way.

Green Bay's coaches have worked extensively with Thompson on his footwork. They've also done some tampering with Thompson's delivery, trying to raise it up a bit.

"When you get a quarterback at this level, they all have a natural throwing motion to some point," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. "The things we work with that we want all our guys to be the same at are ball carriage, footwork, and things like that. We have moved his release up a little bit, but mainly the changes we made in Paul are in his footwork and ball carriage."

There's no guarantee Thompson will get much, if any work in the pre-season games beginning Saturday at Pittsburgh. That could make his bid to unseat Martin even tougher.

Thompson might eventually be a candidate for the practice squad. But he isn't shy saying that's not something he'd be satisfied with.

"That's not a goal I set for myself at all," he said. "I set real high standards for myself and expect to achieve them. I definitely think I can make this team."

HarveyWallbangers
08-08-2007, 10:28 PM
Hard to say: Brady Poppinga, Green Bay's intense, hard-hitting strong-side linebacker put the intrasquad scrimmage into perspective for those trying to draw any conclusions about the Packers, offensively or defensively.

"Am I happy with it?" Poppinga said of the defense. "It's hard to really say, because it's not really anything you scheme for. It's very generic. It's sort of just-go-by-the-seat-of-your-pants kind of stuff. It's hard to gauge really where you're at."

Poppinga, however, was sure about one thing: It's no fun hitting your teammates.

"You've got to see them the next day and a lot of times they'll come in sore and say, 'hey, you made my neck hurt . . . ' I don't want to hear that. I'd rather hit somebody else."

But Poppinga had no trouble offering an evaluation of the sell-out crowd.

"The best. The best around," Poppinga said, bubbling with excitement. "There isn't anything better than this. We play in places during the season that don't even compare to this. This was just a practice and they (the fans) come out energized, hyped up. They are the best fans that exist. . . . It's great. I wouldn't have it any other way. Just to be a part of it is a pleasure and an honor. It's a privilege that doesn't exist anywhere else."

The Packers play their first pre-season game Saturday night in Pittsburgh and Poppinga is looking forward to mixing it up with the Steelers and hitting people from another team.

"I like Pittsburgh's style," Poppinga said. "I think they're going to have the same smash-mouth style. That's right up my alley."

HarveyWallbangers
08-08-2007, 10:29 PM
Rookie receiver shows he belongs
By ROB REISCHEL

Green Bay - James Jones lined up wide right during the first practice of training camp, 2007.

The Green Bay Packers' rookie wide receiver looked across and saw Charles Woodson - he of the Heisman Trophy and an NFC-leading eight interceptions a year ago - staring back at him.

When Brett Favre took the snap, Jones ran 15 yards downfield, planted quickly, curled across the middle and waited for Favre's pass. Woodson, who's seen this play a million times, was all over it and timed his break on the ball perfectly.

It didn't matter, though. Jones snared the ball effortlessly, turned upfield and hasn't stopped running since.

In the first two weeks of camp, Jones has made more plays than any receiver on the roster. If Jones continues his upward climb, there's a good chance he'll be the Packers' No. 3 receiver this year and he could push Greg Jennings at No. 2.

"Coming into camp, I know my ability and I know my talent are to do great things," said Jones, who was drafted in the third round out of San Jose State. "So it's definitely not a surprise to me. I just go out there every day and give it 110 (percent) and whenever the ball comes my way, man, I try and make a play. But it's not a surprise, man."

It's somewhat surprising to others, though.

Rookie receivers rarely make a splash. And few could have predicted Jones would be one of those guys.

Jones had just 55 catches and two touchdowns during his first three years at San Jose State. And although Jones had a big senior season with 70 receptions and 10 TDs, some wondered if he was a one-year wonder.

Jones didn't do himself any favors when he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.57 seconds at the NFL combine. But there were parts of Jones' game that Thompson fell in love with.

First, the 6-foot-1, 207-pound Jones has tremendous size. He's extremely powerful, loves working the middle of the field and will win most battles against smaller cornerbacks.

"It's not easy to come in as a rookie and do good things," wide receiver Ruvell Martin said. "So far, he's catching the ball well and running good routes. Guys are hard on rookies, but he seems to be handling it really well."

Second, Jones is a natural hands catcher. Unlike some Green Bay wide receivers such as Antonio Freeman who allowed the ball to reach their body, Jones seems almost effortless plucking it out of the air.

"The football's allergic to my body," he said. "I try not to let it touch my body."

Third, Jones is already running extremely precise routes. He's quick off the line of scrimmage, unlikely to be disrupted by press coverage and he's nifty in and out of his breaks.

"I'm a lot quicker than people think," Jones said. "Sometimes I don't even rely on my strength because my quickness is better that you think. I'm quick enough to get off the press and get in and out of my routes. The only time I really utilize my strength is when I'm coming back on a ball and a defender's on me."

Jones appears to be the perfect example of why timed speed doesn't always translate into football speed.

Jones plummeted down many draft boards based strictly on his 40-yard dash time. But he clearly plays faster with pads and his speed doesn't appear as though it will be a hindrance.

"I'm not big on the 40. I'm big on the football speed," Jones said. "That's just one of those things that getting into the NFL, you've got to run a good 40. If you go around the NFL, you can't name too many star receivers that ran legitimate 4.3 and 4.4's. A lot of guys are high 4.4.

"It's the game speed and how fast you play that matters. Football's not a straight line, it's how fast you get in and out of cuts and how well you can get off the defender. Can you make the tough catch in traffic? Can you go up and get it? The 40 to me is overrated, but that's what the NFL goes on and you've got to run a good one to get in the league."

Now that Jones is here, he's making the most of it.

It hasn't seemed to matter if Jones finds himself against Al Harris, Woodson or a street free agent. He's making plays.

Jones beat nickel back Patrick Dendy on a deep route on July 30. He caught passes on crossing routes from both Favre and Ingle Martin during a four-play sequence last Thursday.

And although Jones was quiet during Saturday's intrasquad scrimmage with just two catches, his overall performance has certainly turned heads.

"He reminds me a lot of Sterling Sharpe," Favre said of Jones. "He catches everything with his hands and regardless of where he is, continues to run the ball. Very athletic, big strong guy who is, to me, confident in catching the ball and continuing in traffic, instead of maybe catching it, cradling it and going down or whatever."

The fact Jones is even in the NFL is the ultimate Cinderella story. Jones and his mother moved from homeless shelter to homeless shelter when he was younger and he later moved in with his grandmother.

Jones persevered, though, and bucked the odds to reach the NFL. This summer, he's continued to surprise, much to the Packers' delight.

"My level of happiness is real good," Jones said. "I could get happier, but I just got to keep it up and every day I've got to elevate my game and show 'em something new.

"Right now, this is a great opportunity for me to get on the field with a great quarterback and a great team and a great franchise. And I expect to do great things. I'm excited about it. I'm just here to make the most of my chances."

So far, he's done exactly that.

HarveyWallbangers
08-08-2007, 10:35 PM
Wynn attempts to set record straight
By ROB REISCHEL

Green Bay - DeShawn Wynn wants to make one thing perfectly clear.

"I'm not a bad guy or anything," said Wynn, a rookie running back with the Green Bay Packers.

Check that, there's one more thing Wynn would like to clear up.

"I think I am a hard-worker," he said. "I don't know why I have a reputation for being lazy."

Our bad, just one more item Wynn wants to address.

"The whole cell phone story is bogus," he said. "Total bogus."

Work ethic, cell phones, attitude issues. Wynn has been a walking soap opera when it comes to all of the above.

Those off-the-field transgressions are a major reason Wynn slipped to the seventh round of April's draft. But Wynn is trying to put them all behind him and win a spot in Green Bay's wide-open backfield competition.

"The kid's got some ability," Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said.

The key is - and always has been - for people to notice Wynn's ability and not the outside issues he seems to be embroiled in.

For example, Wynn led the national champion Florida Gators in rushing last season with 699 yards. At 5-10½ and 230 pounds, he's extremely powerful and packs quite a punch. Wynn's speed is solid, too, as he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.49 seconds at the NFL combine.

Wynn missed the first three practices of training camp with a stomach virus. But when he returned, he showed the power, burst and vision necessary to play at this level.

"I like his size. I like his feet, his quickness," Philbin said. "I don't think he's a blazer speed-wise. But he moves around like a football player moves.

"He's got some balance, he's got some vision, he's got some power. He's impressive. He is impressive to watch. Now, you can't get too excited because you don't know how long he's going to be out there. But he's impressive. He's impressive."

What isn't impressive is the rap sheet on Wynn.

Wynn is the first to admit he didn't have the right attitude when he arrived at Florida in 2003. And it didn't take long for he and head coach Ron Zook to butt heads.

"Early on in my career, I probably had an attitude problem," Wynn said. "But that's part of growing up and being young. You can't hold that against somebody who had an attitude problem as a freshman. That's something you just grow with, but sometimes it stays with you."

When Wynn was a junior, Gators' first year coach Urban Meyer was reportedly looking for Wynn to run a play during spring drills. Wynn didn't exactly endear himself to his new staff, though, when they saw him standing on the sideline, talking on his cell phone.

Wynn insists that report is false and has no idea where it came from.

"There's no way I'd be on a cell phone like that," he said. "You'd have to take me to the crazy house if I ever did that. That was pretty much a rumor. It just popped up on ESPN."

Wynn was later suspended for the 2005 season opener due to an academic issue. Wynn's work ethic, toughness and competitiveness have all been questioned, too.

For his part, Wynn is trying to write a new chapter.

"To tell you the truth, I don't even know what my reputation was coming in here," Wynn said. "So I don't know how to respond to that. Just be me pretty much.

"I just want to start my own reputation here and just be me. There's not too much I can do about what happened in the past."

Wynn and the Packers are certainly hopeful he has a bright future.

While fellow rookie Brandon Jackson has taken most of the reps with the No. 1 offense, Wynn could eventually find his own niche. Wynn has good power and could be both a goal-line and short-yardage threat. To do so, though, he'll have to shed the label of being soft.

Wynn took steps toward that when he tried practicing early in camp despite that nasty stomach virus. That malady prevented Wynn from keeping any solids or liquids down for four days.

"I wanted to go out there and try and push through," Wynn said. "I didn't want to sit out at the beginning of this camp."

Wynn doesn't want to be on the outside, either, when camp ends. But he's got some ground to make up if he's going to be part of the Packers' 53-man roster.

Jackson and injured Vernand Morency are ahead of Wynn. Wynn also has to catch veteran Noah Herron, along with P.J. Pope and Corey White.

Wynn's talent is certainly tantalizing. But he'll have to show a great deal in the next few weeks for the Packers to trust having him on the roster.

"I don't feel like it's any more of a fight than it was in my college career," Wynn said. "I guess you could say that in a way it's more.

"But I'm just going to go out there and give it my all and if it's not good enough, it's not. I got a lot of faith in my ability. And I feel if I go out there and work hard and bring that kind of mentality every day, I'll be all right."

HarveyWallbangers
08-08-2007, 10:45 PM
Ground gained in the team's trenches
By RICHARD PUFALL

Green Bay - A year ago a huge hole loomed in the middle of Green Bay's offensive line, but not the good kind through which Packers backs could run to daylight. This hole was shaped like a question mark and first-year coach Mike McCarthy could only hope he had the answer.

In the middle of that line was Scott Wells, in his first season as Green Bay's starting center, replacing Mike Flanagan who had signed with the Houston Texans. But Wells, a talented, overachieving seventh-round draft choice in 2004, was not the problem.

Green Bay's biggest concerns were the players who would line up alongside Wells at the guard positions.

The year before, in Mike Sherman's last season as head coach, the Packers struggled with Adrian Klemm at left guard and rookie Will Whitticker on the right side.

Klemm - with the versatile Wells filling in - and Whitticker were Green Bay's answer to the question that surfaced after the 2004 season when the Packers lost guards Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera in free agency.

But at the start of training camp last year Klemm, who had been moved to his more natural left tackle position, ruptured his right Achilles' tendon and was lost for the season. Then, Whitticker was released near the end of camp.

The Packers were solid at both tackles with veterans Chad Clifton on the left side and Mark Tauscher on the right. They had teamed with Wahle, Flanagan and Rivera to give Green Bay one of the NFL's better lines from 2000-'04.

But this was 2006 and general manager Ted Thompson had a problem to solve. Thompson addressed the line woes with the NFL draft. He selected three little-known rookies - Daryn Colledge, Jason Spitz and Tony Moll - who, after some early struggles, turned Green Bay's question mark into an exclamation point.

But it wouldn't come quickly or easily. And there was an added complication. Every linemen - including Clifton and Tauscher - would have some learning to do. New offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski installed a zone-blocking scheme, which he had learned from Alex Gibbs in Atlanta.

The linemen studied, but clearly were not ready for the first test. When the Chicago Bears blew out the Packers, 26-0, in the season opener at Lambeau Field everything was called into question, especially the scheme and Thompson's draft picks.

The Packers had just 267 net yards (103 rushing, 164 passing) against the Bears and things were ugly in Titletown. After the Week 1 thumping, the Packers had the 21st ranked offense in the 32-team NFL, but appeared overrated at that.

More important, the line's early struggles contributed to Green Bay's stumbling 1-4 start.

Slowly but surely, however, the young line got more comfortable with the new blocking scheme and began to find its groove. By season's end, Green Bay's offense improved to No. 9 in the league and the line began to click, helping the Packers finish with a four-game winning streak and an 8-8 record.

Mostly because of the improved line play, the Packers ran only 77 plays that went for negative yardage, third fewest in the league.

"I guess it was more extended playing time together," Wells said of the line's improvement. "We were able to build some chemistry and continuity. Getting more familiar with the system also helped. I'd just say an overall comfort level. We got comfortable with one another."

Colledge, a second-round pick from Boise State, struggled in the exhibition season, lost his left guard job, then stormed back to start the final 15 games. McCarthy called Colledge Green Bay's most improved player.

"For us it's a stretch and cut kind of technique," Colledge said, explaining Green Bay's approach to zone blocking. "We try to create double-teams on the front line and stretch the defense to the point where it breaks, then just make one cut and head up the field, north and south with the ball. We just want to do it to the point where the defense makes mistakes.

"We'd like to be stronger than we are. We feel like we've got a ways to go. We're improving every day. We've got 10-11 guys in that room, they're dedicated to this system and we want to make it better and better every single week. We're just not happy where we're at and we want to keep on improving."

Spitz, drafted in the third round from Louisville, opened the season at left guard then moved to the right side when Colledge won his job back. The improved play of the line was no mystery to Spitz.

"Just repetition," said Spitz, who started 13 games. "There's no better way to learn than going through game experience. So the more games we got under our belts the better we played together. The more reps as a young line, it started coming together.

"It was tough at first. It was new for all off us. A couple of us were new to the game. It was unfamiliar territory. The more we play together, obviously the better we'll be."

Moll became a valuable spot starter, established himself as a super sub filling in for his injured line-mates and is an important piece of the puzzle for 2007. Moll, a fifth-round draft choice from Nevada, started five games at right guard and filled in at right tackle for five-plus games when Tauscher was injured.

"We had three rookies come in and we gained a lot of experience from last year," said Moll, who brought zone-blocking experience with him for Nevada. "I think it's going to make a big difference for this year."

The line's struggles early last season also had a negative impact on Green Bay's tight ends, who turned in one of their poorest seasons in recent memory. Often the tight ends lined up in the backfield or the slot to help protect quarterback Brett Favre. As a result, three tight ends - David Martin, Bubba Franks and Donald Lee - combined for just 580 yards on 56 receptions, with only two touchdowns.

"I think our offensive line was probably a bright spot, considering at the start of the season that may have been our biggest question mark," Favre said. "Tremendous potential there. They remind me a lot of our group several years back. Now, they still have to play. They can't get complacent."

Favre was more concerned with building continuity among the 2007 Packers, rather than getting his tight ends into the passing lanes.

"Being on the same page to me is much more important than having a lot of guys out (in pass patterns)," Favre said. "Basically what I'm saying is we have to gain some chemistry quickly, and some trust, and we don't have that right now."

Wells, Favre's center, believes the tight ends will be used more as offensive weapons, rather than pass blockers, thanks to a more experienced, improved line.

"I think it will definitely help," Wells said. "Last year they (tight ends) had to block a lot more, obviously. We had a lot of six-, seven-man pass protections because of the holes we had in the offense. By the end of the year we got them more involved. Hopefully, this year we'll be able to do more of that. Use them more in the passing game rather than just as blockers."

Last season Favre led the NFL with 613 passing attempts, the most of his career, but his 18 touchdown passes were his fewest since 1992, his first season as a Packer. Clearly, Favre missed the production of his tight ends.

"We want to send more guys out in the pass game and give Brett more options, more guys to throw to," Colledge said. "It helps us if teams have to worry about the pass just as much as the run, that helps open up everybody. . . . We want to spread the defense thin and let Brett do what he does best: make plays."

If the zone-blocking scheme is executed properly, an average NFL back can gain huge chunks of yardage, as evidenced by the success enjoyed by the Denver Broncos.

"We think we've got a great group of backs back there, but as an offensive line we hope that you can put anybody back there and plug and play." Colledge said. "We figure if we make big enough holes any one of them can run for a lot of yards."

The Packers might take the backfield-by-committee approach with veteran Vernand Morency sharing the load with rookie second-round pick Brandon Jackson. Both are fast with quick feet and ideal for the zone-blocking scheme.

"Either way will work for me, honestly," Wells said. "I think there's strengths to both. There are strengths to having a superstar step up and be your playmaker. But there's also strengths to having a backfield by committee, because then, if somebody goes down there's not a big letdown. You've got consistency . . . you stay fresh.

"I've had experience with both. In college (Tennessee) we had a backfield by committee with three guys we ran with. Having Ahman (Green) here, he was definitely a playmaker for us."

Green, the second-leading rusher to Jim Taylor in Green Bay history, left the Packers to sign as a free agent with the Houston Texans. Spitz knows the Packers must move on without Green.

"You have to," Spitz said. "Regardless of who we lose, who we gain, that's part of football. You're going to lose people to free agency. It's part of life. You have to keep on moving regardless of who's here, we still have to do the same job."

Meanwhile, Thompson, the man who put this line together, seems pleased with his creation.

"We feel pretty good about our offensive line as a whole," Thompson said. "It's the same group that's been out there before, certainly the starting group. We think we have good competition, a good group of guys fighting for those other spots. I think we're going to have a pretty solid offensive line when it's all said and done. We would like very much to be very solid in the offensive and defensive line. If we do that, I think we have a chance to be a pretty good team, and I think we are."

McCarthy, who had nothing but unanswered questions in his line a year ago, liked what he saw in Saturday night's intrasquad scrimmage.

"Last year we had three rookies competing for two positions and we put in a new scheme," McCarthy said. "I think our guys are very comfortable. They've had a full year of training. The training in the run-blocking system is the most important, the way we do the drills, the tempo of the drills. Now you're seeing the effects on the game film. I thought the tempo and the way they get off the ball, the wedge attack, those are the things you're looking for in a zone scheme. We're clearly way ahead of where we were last year."

Offensive linemen, like few other groups in team sports, develop a bond which can also contribute to their success. Green Bay's young line is playing as team, but also as friends.

"Absolutely," Spitz said. "More so in the offensive line, because there always seems to be a universal personality for offensive linemen. For some reason, no matter where you come from, if you play offensive line you're a certain kind of guy.

"We're a tight-knit group. We all get along. We hang out outside of football, which is good. And when you're playing with your friends, for your friends, you seem to want to perform better."

Green Bay's rookies helped the team to an 8-8 finish in 2006, but that's a mark Colledge says is far below their goal for 2007.

"This team expects to win games and if it doesn't it wouldn't be anything but a disappointment," Colledge said. "This team wants to win another championship for this town."

BallHawk
08-08-2007, 11:03 PM
Without fluff pieces, Lori Nickel wouldn't have a job.

Scott Campbell
08-09-2007, 08:43 AM
Running back . . . I think Morency really was productive for us with his opportunities last year. I look for him to improve. So I just think we will improve from within. That's what I'm selling, doesn't sound like you're buying, so we'll have to wait and see." McCarthy

LOL - ain't that the truth.

wist43
08-09-2007, 09:02 AM
Those guys should write for "Ladies Home Journal"...

Let's hold hands and sing "kum bye ya"... of course proclaiming all the while that it's "for the children and the environment".

Cheesehead Craig
08-09-2007, 09:03 AM
Shit,
When I saw the title "Fluff pieces" I thought it was about fluff girls and pics of them. Then I realized I was in the wrong thread.

Damn you Harvey!

HarveyWallbangers
08-09-2007, 09:26 AM

Let's hold hands and sing "kum bye ya"... of course proclaiming all the while that it's "for the children and the environment".

These are from the Packer Plus Magazine. They're all fluff pieces. They probably wouldn't have a huge circulation if all they did was tell their subscribers how sucky the Packers are going to be.

I think the subject of the thread should have warned you about the articles.

wist43
08-09-2007, 10:23 AM

These are from the Packer Plus Magazine. They're all fluff pieces. They probably wouldn't have a huge circulation if all they did was tell their subscribers how sucky the Packers are going to be.

I think the subject of the thread should have warned you about the articles.

Sadly, PackerPlus has gone the way of the "Packer Report"... it's still better, but has definitely fallen into the "let's talk about our feelings" genre... 2-14, and all is well!!! :D

McGinn is about the only JS writer worth reading. There are a couple of other beat writers that write for other papers (Press-Gazette, WSJ) that aren't too bad... brain freeze right now though, can't remember their names.

mraynrand
08-09-2007, 10:24 AM
All those 'fluffer' pieces and not one from Lori Nickel. She must be too busy writing scripts for the Lifetime Network (This Saturday See: Love's Enduring Everlasting Freedom and Obligation on The Open Prairie near a Grove of Trees and a Scenic Creek).

Zool
08-09-2007, 10:30 AM
All those 'fluffer' pieces and not one from Lori Nickel. She must be too busy writing scripts for the Lifetime Network (This Saturday See: Love's Enduring Everlasting Freedom and Obligation on The Open Prairie near a Grove of Trees and a Scenic Creek).

Oooh I saw that one. Where they had to overcome seemingly insurmountable odds and a crooked sheriff/mayor. The bank was going to foreclose on the farm unless they could win the local competition and raise exactly enough money for the back taxes.

MJZiggy
08-09-2007, 11:09 AM
There's enough here for at least a large pillow...

woodbuck27
08-09-2007, 04:32 PM
I can't wait to get this season on and over with so maybe we start to vent the smell.

HarveyWallbangers
08-09-2007, 11:44 PM
Not a good sign for Alcorn.

Lee makes bid to start at tight end
By BOB McGINN

Green Bay - Nothing that Donald Lee has done in his first extended opportunity to become a starting tight end in the National Football League has disappointed the Green Bay Packers.

Some scouts might not think Green Bay has even one desirable tight end. But when the Packers' coaches sit around each night evaluating what they do have, not one has advocated going to general manager Ted Thompson begging for another tight end.

"Not at all," offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said at midweek. "I think Bubba's going to have a better year and I think Donald Lee will be pretty solid."

Ever since Bubba Franks displaced Tyrone Davis four games into his rookie season of 2000, the starting job has been his alone. But after letting David Martin go to Miami in March as an unrestricted free agent, coach Mike McCarthy decided to give the speedier Lee a legitimate chance to unseat Franks.

Lee has taken most of the turns with the No. 1 offense in the first two weeks of training camp. He has provided more vertical stretch than Franks although his blocking isn't as good.

"Donald's maybe not quite as instinctive against specific coverages as David Martin was but I think he's as productive," Philbin said. "Dave was a little smoother and very smart. This guy (Lee) may not do it exactly as you draw it up but he has a little bit of a knack for getting open and catching the ball."

Although Martin played wide receiver at Tennessee and joined Green Bay in '02 with a 40-yard dash in the range of 4.6 seconds, strength coach Rock Gullickson maintained that Lee was faster than Martin. Philbin said Lee played as fast as Martin.

Lee ran 4.72 coming out of Mississippi State in 2003 but showed tremendous athletic traits with a 39-inch vertical jump and 10-foot broad jump. The knocks on Lee were his ability to learn and to sustain blocks.

After two seasons backing up Randy McMichael with the Dolphins, Lee was signed by Green Bay on the eve of the '05 season and wound up catching 33 passes for the injured and ineffective Franks. His playing time dipped from 35% to 21% last year, and his productivity waned as well.

According to Gullickson, Lee spent longer days in the facility during the off-season than any other player. He succeeded in improving his lower-body strength, because he was too easily tossed aside as a blocker in the past.

"Is he a guy that you'd love to have single-block a defensive end 30 times a game?" Philbin said. "Your answer probably would be no. But for what we do, a zone-blocking scheme, I think he'll be fine."

The 251-pound Lee doesn't catch the ball as naturally as Franks. Unlike Franks, he is hesitant to catch the ball in his hands away from his body for fear of drops. But Philbin says Lee's catching has become more consistent.

At this point, Philbin said the competition between Lee and Franks would be too close to call. Both will play, often based on which of them runs a particular play better.

"I think Bubba's moved better," Philbin said. "I look at those guys as interchangeable right now. It's pretty even."

Martin basically has been injury-free this summer and clearly is the Dolphins' starter over Justin Peelle.

The leader in the two-man battle for Martin's roster berth is free agent Zac Alcorn. The second-year man from Black Hills State doesn't block as well as Lee but might catch the ball better than Lee, Franks and Clark Harris, a seventh-round draft choice from Rutgers.

"At times, (Alcorn) looks very fluid and smooth in shells," Philbin said. "He just needs to get used to playing with his pads better. Right now, he's not where we want him to be."

Harris has missed considerable practice time with an ankle injury. He has been a disappointment.

HarveyWallbangers
08-22-2007, 10:43 PM
Notes: Franks begins to show some signs of life
By RICHARD PUFALL

Green Bay - The autopsy is in on what had appeared to be a 6-foot-5, 265-pound corpse. Good news: The results from the Lambeau Field lab came back negative Saturday night.

Bubba Franks is alive and well.

Franks, coming off his worst season as Green Bay's No. 1 tight end, caught four passes for 30 yards in Green Bay's stunning, 48-13, rout of the Seattle Seahawks in the Packers' second exhibition game.

After Green Bay's opening drive stalled, Franks caught passes of 3, 10 and 8 yards to help fuel a 12-play, 47-yard second drive that led to Mason Crosby's 37-yard field goal and a 3-0 lead for the Packers.

"I was surprised they came to me so early, but once I get going the offense gets going," Franks said. "We really need to establish a strong point at the tight end position so that's kind of what we're looking forward to."

Indeed, Franks is right. The Packers need much more from their tight ends then they received last season.

Three Green Bay tight ends - David Martin, Donald Lee and Franks - combined for just 580 yards in 2006. Worse yet, there were only two touchdowns, both by Martin who left the Packers to sign as a free agent with the Miami Dolphins.

Franks, a three-time Pro Bowl selection and once a scoring machine inside the red zone, was held without a touchdown last year for the first time in seven seasons with the Packers.

"We all made a couple mistakes, here and there," Franks said of Green Bay's domination of the Seahawks. "I think we left some points out there, but it's a good starting point. Next week will be a real good test, because you know starters will get to play a lot more. If we can get it rolling next week and just go into the next week, then the regular season game will be fun."

Last season wasn't much fun for Franks who averaged just 1.6 catches per game and - along with his fellow tight ends - frequently found himself lined up in the backfield or the slot to help a young offensive line protect quarterback Brett Favre.

"It was fun, actually," Franks said of his four-catch game against Seattle. "It felt good. I just wanted to do whatever I could to help the offense and keep the chains moving."

Franks doesn't believe he is back. He believes he has never left

"I've always been Bubba Franks," he said. "Everybody else considered me something else, but I never count myself out. You can't listen to what everyone else says, 'cause you know one week they're going to hate you, the next week they're going to love you. You know, just keep pushing."

Green Bay coach Mike McCarthy was pleased with Frank's game and his training camp thus far.

"Bubba is transferring his preparation and practice performance into the game," McCarthy said. "I'm very happy with the training camp that Bubba's had. I think being smart with the one-a-day practices and taking care of his knee has really helped him. He had a nice night."

Bush whacking: Jarrett Bush turned in a strong bid to win the No. 3 cornerback position and a spot in Green Bay's nickel defense. Bush stood out on a night when the Packers defense sparkled, scoring two touchdowns on fumble returns (Nick Barnett and Tracy White), sacking Seattle quarterbacks seven times and picking off three passes.

Bush made two of the interceptions, picking Seattle's No. 3 quarterback David Greene twice, late in the second quarter and early in the third.

Bush returned the first interception 22 yards and the second for 19, leading to a 24-yard field goal by Dave Rayner and a 41-13 Green Bay lead. Bush credited rookie safety Aaron Rouse for a pressure which helped him make the first pick.

"He put it up there and I went and got it," Bush said of interception No. 1. "The second one I was in the nickel. Me and (Desmond) Bishop actually bumped shoulders when the receivers crossed. I just slipped under the little curl route and he threw it right to me and I tried to run with it after that."

Bush could have had a third interception, but dropped a ball that hit him right in the hands.

"Oh my God, I was sick to my stomach when that happened," Bush said. "It was a mistake. I'll try to make it the next time."

Bush said he thought his game put him in position to win a job.

"I think it helped, yes," Bush said. "But not just this performance. I've been doing it through minicamp and through training camp. I feel a lot better, but I've just got to keep going to work. I've to prove it next Thursday on national TV."

Bush said the Packers are building something special on defense.

"Oh my gosh, we played unbelievable," Bush said. "I mean, everybody was trying to score. Nick Barnett, Tracy White . . . too many to remember. Everybody was sacking the quarterback.

"We we're having so much fun out there. That's the thing. Everybody was having fun out there. I think that's what really broke the ice for us. Everybody was trying to make plays. I think it really did it for us tonight. I think it's a good step.

"We dominated them and they were two games away from going to the Super Bowl last year. I think we totally dominated them in every phase: special teams, offense, defense, moving the ball on offense, sacking 'em on defense, interceptions, turnovers. I think in all phases we took a huge step. We have to continue to do that and improve every day when we step between those lines."

Super words: Maybe Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila was caught up in the moment. After all, beating a good team by 35 points has to make you feel pretty good, even if it was just an exhibition game and Seattle was playing without starting quarterback Matt Hasselbeck and both tackles.

Or maybe Gbaja-Biamila's big play, led to his big words. "KGB," warming up to his new role as Green Bay's third-down pass-rush specialist, came up with his second sack in as many pre-season games, and this one produced points.

On third and 8 early in the second quarter, Gbaja-Biamila sacked backup quarterback Seneca Wallace and stripped the ball. Nick Barnett scooped up the fumble and ran 62 yards for a touchdown.

Then "KGB" piled on his strong play with even stronger words.

"I think this is the year we're going to go all the way," Gbaja-Biamila said. "I believe we're going to the Super Bowl. I believe we're going. And what's so funny about the brain is the brain can't tell the difference between reality and fake. You tell the brain 'We're going to the Super Bowl. We're going to the Super Bowl' and you end up in the Super Bowl.

"And we've got to get more people talking like that and we are. That's our goal is to go the Super Bowl and I believe we are going to the Super Bowl."

HarveyWallbangers
08-22-2007, 10:47 PM
Jenkins' story ending up well
By ROB REISCHEL

Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers have doled out big-time money to several defensive linemen this decade. And for the most part, it's been a boom or bust proposition.

The Packers saw investments in Joe Johnson and Cletidus Hunt blow up in their faces. Green Bay also hit the lottery when it re-signed Aaron Kampman.

The Packers rolled the dice last off-season on defensive end Cullen Jenkins. And right now, it looks like Jenkins will pay off as Kampman did.

Although Jenkins has seen limited time in Green Bay's first two pre-season games, he's made the most of it. Jenkins has already recorded three sacks, two tackles for loss and a forced fumble and been borderline dominant throughout.

If Jenkins keeps this up, the four-year, $16 million contract he signed in February will soon look like a bargain for the Packers.

"Well, I don't have a crystal ball," Packers defensive coordinator Bob Sanders said. "But I know what kind of guy Cullen is.

"I know he's a good person, he loves to play football and like Aaron, he's a hard-worker. He cares about the Packers, he cares about our defense and he's very loyal. So I would anticipate him having a very, very good year, yes."

Everything indicates Jenkins is on the verge of a breakout season.

Jenkins spent the majority of his first three years in Green Bay at defensive tackle. But late last season, with the Packers' run defense in disarray, Jenkins replaced Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila at right defensive end in the base.

Jenkins closed with a flurry - highlighted by a three-sack game against Detroit - and finished with 6½ sacks on the season, third on the team. Jenkins has built on that with a tremendous summer that's seen him shine not only in games, but on a daily basis in practice, too.

"Cullen has been a good football player here for a long time," Packers general manager Ted Thompson said. "We felt like the move to defensive end helps put a little bit brighter spotlight on his abilities.

"He's a good football player and he's worked very, very hard this off-season to keep improving, which is what true professionals do. Yeah, I was glad to see him have success, but it doesn't surprise me."

Thompson might claim that he's not surprised. Without question, though, Jenkins' ascension remains among the Packers' most stunning stories in recent years.

Jenkins went undrafted after coming out of Central Michigan in the spring of 2003. He spent the entire 2003 season out of football. And were it not for a stint in the now-defunct NFL Europa - where Green Bay sent Jenkins in 2004 - it's unlikely he'd be in the league today.

Not only is the 26-year old Jenkins here, though, he's being paid like one of the better defensive ends in football. And he appears fully set on earning every nickel.

"I look at the contract as maybe a commitment and a little reward," Jenkins said. "I want to fulfill my part of it and I'd like to be around here even longer than the contract."

A few years back, it appeared the only Jenkins that would ever get such a contract was Cullen's older brother, Kris.

Kris Jenkins, who's 17 months older than Cullen, developed into one of the NFL's better defensive tackles with the Carolina Panthers and has played in three Pro Bowls. Cullen, meanwhile, was just trying to escape Kris' extremely large shadow.

"We were always competitive, but I was usually more athletic than he was and I could beat him at most things," Cullen said. "So I was wondering about things a little bit when he was in the league and I wasn't.

"But the whole time, I was his biggest fan. Even when I wasn't playing, I went over to my dad's house to watch him. Then when I made the team the first time, he was the first one I called after my wife. I called him and he let out this big yell."

Today, it's offensive linemen who are yelling as Cullen Jenkins runs past them.

In the first quarter of Green Bay's pre-season opener at Pittsburgh, Jenkins sacked both Ben Roethlisberger and Charlie Batch. On Jenkins' sack of Roethlisberger, he also forced a fumble and recovered it himself.

Jenkins built on that momentum during the Packers' 48-13 dismantling of Seattle Saturday night. On the Seahawks' third play from scrimmage, Jenkins used a gorgeous spin move to whip left tackle Tom Ashworth and dump quarterback Seneca Wallace for a 7-yard loss.

Later in the quarter, Jenkins shot a gap off the left side and tackled Shaun Alexander for a 1-yard loss. On the Seahawks' next series, Jenkins blew up reserve running back Maurice Morris for a 2-yard loss.

On a team where the defensive line talent is outstanding, a case can be made that Jenkins has had the best summer of anyone.

"He understands a commitment was made to him and there's even more expected of him now," Kampman said of Jenkins. "He wants to do his best to fulfill that and all signs point to that happening."

Jenkins has outstanding quickness for a man his size (6-foot-2 inches, 295 pounds. He's developed an array of moves through the years. And he figures to be stout at the point of attack in the run game.

Jenkins refuses to set numerical goals for himself - except for one.

"I guess the only personal goal I have is to be better than my brother," he said.

That's certainly a lofty aspiration considering Kris Jenkins was a Pro Bowl player in 2007. But if Cullen continues his impressive ascension, people will have to stop and think when it's asked "Who's the better Jenkins brother?"

"Switching out to the end, maybe now there's going to be a little distinction between us," Cullen said. "And hopefully people will start thinking about me as much as Kris when they talk about the Jenkins brothers. But it's still something I'm working towards."

To date, the results have been sublime.

Harlan Huckleby
08-22-2007, 10:47 PM
Has Lee caught a pass yet?

HarveyWallbangers
08-22-2007, 10:51 PM
Jackson hears opportunity knocking
By ROB REISCHEL

Green Bay - The National Football League has meant - and always will mean - Not For Long.

Sprain an ankle, twist a knee or break an arm and your employer can forget about you rather quickly. Vernand Morency appears to be experiencing that first hand right now.

Morency suffered a strained patellar tendon in his right knee during the Green Bay Packers' first practice of training camp. And it's almost a given now that rookie Brandon Jackson - and not Morency - will be the Packers' starting running back when the season begins Sept. 9 against Philadelphia.

"Right now, (Jackson's) definitely way ahead because the other guy (Morency) unfortunately hasn't competed at all," Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said after Green Bay's 48-13 pre-season victory over Seattle Saturday night. "There's really no comparison at this stage."

Jackson had some of his finer moments of the summer against Seattle, rushing for 54 yards in 13 carries and scoring a touchdown in just one half of duty. Jackson also caught one pass for 11 yards.

And Green Bay's running back battle, which never got off the ground, now appears over.

"Well, right now he is our starter," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said of Jackson. "I think he's getting better with each game. I thought he ran with body lean under his pads better than he did against Pittsburgh for the whole game. That's something he's working hard on. His blitz pick up will continue to improve.

"He's a tough kid. He works hard. He's very talented. I'm happy with the way he attacked training camp and has taken full advantage of his opportunities."

Jackson ran for 57 yards on 16 carries (3.6 average) in Green Bay's pre-season opener at Pittsburgh. But Jackson had just 14 yards on eight carries (1.8) in the first half of that game.

Against Seattle, though, Jackson played more relaxed and confident and it showed.

Early in the first quarter, Jackson made a perfect read and a gorgeous cutback for a 9-yard run. Later in the quarter, on the exact same play, Jackson made another nifty cut and used a big block by Bubba Franks to gain 6 yards to the Seattle 1-yard line. Jackson followed that up with a TD over left guard on the ensuing play.

Jackson did a nice job on an 11-yard screen pass, allowing center Scott Wells and left guard Daryn Colledge to set up their blocks. Later on a 6-yard run between right guard and right tackle, Jackson showed decent vision and strength.

"I'm very confident right now, but that's coach's call," Jackson said when asked about being the starter. "This is a great confidence boost. But just got to stay hard working."

Jackson, a second-round draft pick from Nebraska, has done exactly that since the start of training camp. He's been secure with the ball. He's taken relatively quickly to Green Bay's zone blocking scheme. And he's getting better in pass protection, although he's anything but a finished product in that department.

"I think he was solid," Philbin said of Jackson. "I thought we ran the ball relatively well in the first half, awful in the second half (25 yards). I thought he was pretty solid in what he did.

"He appears to be playing hard and playing with pretty good pad level. And he's protecting the ball well. So far, so good."

Meanwhile, this training camp has turned into a nightmare for Morency.

Morency virtually lived at the Packers' facilities this off-season and got into top shape in hopes of winning the job. But Morency, who ran for 421 yards last year as Ahman Green's primary backup, suffered his knee injury on July 28.

Morency won't play Thursday against Jacksonville as his absence nears a month. And while the Packers say Morency is getting closer to returning, there's no guarantee he'll be ready for the opener.

As is often the case while a player heals, he quickly becomes an afterthought.

"You feel bad for the guy," said fullback Brandon Miree, who's missed the first two pre-season games with a shoulder stinger himself. "Everyone around here knows how hard (Morency) worked this off-season. The one thing you can never control is injuries, and unfortunately he's got one."

And Jackson has pounced on the opportunity.

It remains to be seen whether Jackson can be more than an average back. His speed is so-so (4.56). He never started a full season at Nebraska. And he won't turn 22 until October.

But Jackson has flashed enough to leave Morency in the rear-view mirror for now. And the Packers seem extremely comfortable with the thought of Jackson as their starter in 2007.

"He certainly has performed well in these two pre-season games," Philbin said. "We're pleased with his development at this stage."

HarveyWallbangers
08-22-2007, 11:03 PM
Kind of funny that Jones was considered a reach in round 3 by the experts, and Clowney was considered a steal in round 5. In fact, most experts had Clowney ranked higher than Jones. That alone should make some stop and think. Last year, others were reaches and Hodge was our steal.

Clowney struggles to come on strong
By ROB REISCHEL

Green Bay - The drill is one of the most entertaining that you'll find at training camp.

Pass catchers for the Green Bay Packers receive a short throw. Then they turn and run through a gauntlet with padded arms that tests their strength, before high-stepping through the ropes.

For rookie wide receiver David Clowney, a fifth-round draft choice in April, the drill is a daily struggle.

While most players are barely affected by the gauntlet, Clowney has a hard time fighting through the padded arms. That simple exercise shows Clowney's lack of strength and why he's likely to be the highest of the Packers' draft picks that won't make the team.

"When you lack a little bit of the ideal physical size at this stage of your career, sometimes that can create some issues for you," Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said of Clowney.

Clowney has found that out the hard way.

Packers general manager Ted Thompson drafted Clowney because of his lights-out speed (4.39). That speed is virtually useless, though, if Clowney's strength isn't up to snuff.

Clowney refused to lift for scouts at the NFL combine in February. But Thompson took him anyway, hoping he could breathe some life into the return units.

"My biggest thing was focusing on my routes, my hands and my speed," Clowney said of why he didn't lift at the combine. "As a receiver, those are the most important things."

Actually, they're secondary. If a receiver can't get off the line of scrimmage, everything else is irrelevant - something Clowney has discovered this camp.

Clowney, listed a 6-feet, 188 pounds, is built like a rail. He's been manhandled at the line of scrimmage by many of Green Bay's cornerbacks and doesn't have the necessary strength to win 50-50 balls.

Ask Clowney if his strength is a problem, though, and he's adamant that it isn't.

"Not at all. Nope. Not at all," he said. "Of course I go up against Al Harris and Charles Woodson and that's tough. But I go against all different corners and it's not so much hard, but you just have to be that much more precise on everything you're doing."

The problem is Clowney's skills as a pass catcher haven't been any better.

During a recent practice, this series of plays unfolded:

? Clowney ran a nice route to break free of cornerback Will Blackmon, but dropped the pass.

? Clowney didn't finish a route and cornerback Tramon Williams beat him to the ball and nearly had an interception.

? Safety Charlie Peprah lined up against Clowney and threw him to the ground within the first five yards.

"One of the things against our guys, (Clowney) gets great experience going against bump man-to-man coverage, against guys that are up in your face," Philbin said.

Clowney clearly needs to add strength to his frame. But he's also incredibly raw as a receiver.

Clowney's routes have lacked precision and it's unclear how well he reads coverages. He doesn't appear to be much of a blocker and probably isn't anything more than a sheer vertical receiver at this stage.

Clowney has great speed, but he rarely displays it because he's thinking instead of simply playing. Through two pre-season games, Clowney has three receptions for 18 yards.

"At times he's been in there and made some plays and done some good things," Philbin said. "He shows some natural playmaking ability. He has very good speed and he's caught the ball well."

Clowney's greatest contributions figured to come in the return game. But cornerback Will Blackmon has sparkled in that department and will likely win both jobs.

So the Packers will face the question of what exactly to do with Clowney?

Green Bay could easily part ways with Clowney. But chances are, the Packers will hope for a long-term payoff on their investment.

Clowney hasn't been nearly as awful as fourth-round pick Cory Rodgers last summer or fifth-rounder Joey Jamison in 2000. And Clowney does have some toughness. In fact, Clowney was back at practice last season just four days after undergoing an emergency appendectomy.

So Green Bay could put Clowney on the practice squad, beef him up and hope he doesn't lose any speed.

"It looks like he's got a frame that could take some more weight," Philbin said. "He's a young guy and these guys are still developing, still getting stronger, so I would think he's got some room to grow, certainly."

Clowney won't admit he's a long shot to make the final roster. But at the same time, he knows a year on the practice squad might be the best thing for his career right now.

"I'm going to make the best of it wherever I'm at," he said. "I'm blessed to be where I'm at and I'll make the most of it no matter where I'm at."

HarveyWallbangers
08-22-2007, 11:07 PM
Blackmon's elusiveness pays big returns
By ROB REISCHEL

Green Bay - Will Blackmon walked into Lambeau Field Saturday as part of the No. 2 kickoff return unit. He left following a night in which he invoked memories of Desmond Howard.

Not a bad few hours of work.

Blackmon returned a kickoff 83 yards that brought back images of Howard's magical 1996 season. Blackmon also had a solid 16-yard punt return and now appears the odds-on favorite to return both kicks and punts this season.

"He helped himself. He helped our football team and . . . it is what it is," Packers special teams coach Mike Stock said. "I don't know what's going to happen. But I do know that (Blackmon) has done a nice job in the last two weeks."

Shaun Bodiford and David Clowney opened the game with the No. 1 kick return unit. But when Bodiford suffered an MCL injury on the opening kickoff, Blackmon took his place and took full advantage of the opportunity.

It was the second consecutive week Blackmon has sparkled in the return game. Blackmon showed fantastic elusiveness against Pittsburgh, breaking four tackles on one punt return. But his numbers were pedestrian because of shoddy blocking.

That wasn't the case on Blackmon's big return Saturday night. And Blackmon might have to fall on his face from here to lose the jobs.

"I have no idea," Blackmon said when asked if he felt he won the jobs. "My gut tells me just keep doing what you're doing.

"I felt like I made some progress. Last week I ran around and we were getting used to each other. This week, my teammates told me, 'Keep running well, we're going to block for you.' We put two and two together and we got it done this week."

They sure did.

Josh Brown's kick hung for 3.94 seconds and Blackmon caught it at the 2-yard line. The wedge unit consisted of Korey Hall, Johnny Jolly, Allen Barbre and Jason Hunter and the front line (from left) was Jarrett Bush, Rory Johnson, Tracy White, Desmond Bishop and Carlyle Holiday.

Barbre, Jolly and Hunter cleared an early path and Blackmon shot through a big hole toward the right. At the 25-yard line, Blackmon appeared to be pinned in by a pair of Seahawks. But White made a key block by burying C.J. Wallace and Blackmon danced back to the left away from Kevin Hobbs.

Several Seahawks over-pursued the play and lost containment, allowing Blackmon to turn the left corner. By the 40-yard line, Blackmon was in a foot race with Michael Boulware, who had a slight angle on him.

Boulware finally caught Blackmon at the Seattle 15, but was flagged for unnecessary roughness on the play, giving Green Bay the ball at the Seahawks' 7-yard line. Two plays later, Brandon Jackson's 1-yard touchdown run broke a 3-3 tie and the Packers were on their way to what would become a 48-13 rout.

"When I caught the ball, I wasn't surprised, but it was impressive," said Blackmon, a fourth-round draft choice in 2006. "For a split second I paused and I just saw every man have a Seahawk blocked.

"And I was like, 'Hell, I'm running right through that.' And then it's just natural reaction. You see a different colored jersey, go the other way."

It was 11 years ago this summer when Howard saved his career with a similar return. Howard was on the bubble when he returned a punt 77 yards for a touchdown against Pittsburgh on Aug. 11, 1996.

That play won Howard a roster spot and he went on to lead the NFL in punt return yards (870) and punt return average (15.1). To top it off, Howard was the Super Bowl MVP after racking up 244 return yards, including a 99-yard TD.

Green Bay has been looking for an answer in the return game ever since that time. Saturday night, the Packers might have found their solution for 2007.

"Those big plays on special teams ignite a sideline, they ignite the stadium," Stock said. "If you're playing home like this, there's an electricity that runs through the team and the stadium that is so positive that it's hard to measure."

The Packers haven't enjoyed their special teams measurements in recent seasons. Green Bay has ranked dead last for two consecutive years in special teams rankings done by the Dallas Morning News.

A year ago, the Packers were about as pedestrian as possible in the return games, ranking 31st in kickoff average and 24th on punts. Blackmon - and an increased emphasis on drafting special-teams players by general manager Ted Thompson - could change all that.

Blackmon (6-0, 202) is a solid athlete who ran a 4.48 40-yard dash coming out of Boston College. With the Eagles, Blackmon averaged 24.6 yards on his 114 kickoff returns, 10.1 yards on his 50 punt returns and had a pair of touchdowns.

Blackmon might have had a shot in the return game last season, but foot and rib injuries limited him to just four games. Those setbacks appear in the past, though, and Blackmon is on his way to making up for lost time.

"These are the things that he exhibited in college at Boston College, absolutely," Stock said. "He has all those tools . . . I think he does have good vision, he knows how to set up blocks and I think he knows how to take advantage of that.

"But again, it's all about familiarity with the scheme we're using, with the blocks . . . and where he's supposed to be when those blocks occur. Kickoff returns are all about timing and (Saturday), there was some good timing.

"What he's shown the last two weeks in both categories, both elements . . . certainly he's given us every positive thought process about having him there. But that decision will be made when we're ready to wrap it up."

Right now, it looks like Blackmon has already wrapped things up.

HarveyWallbangers
08-22-2007, 11:10 PM
Barnett sees start of something special
By ROB REISCHEL

Green Bay - Nick Barnett will never forget the dog days of 2004. It's burned onto his brain, and in many ways, those frustrating memories help drive him today.

Barnett, a second-year linebacker at the time, remembers his Green Bay Packers trying everything humanly possible to force turnover plays. In the end, though, it just didn't happen and the paltry 15 take-aways the Packers forced were an all-time franchise low.

By the looks of things, Green Bay won't have such issues in 2007.

In the Packers' second pre-season game of 2007 last Saturday, they forced an impressive six turnovers - turning two into touchdowns. Those plays helped Green Bay steamroll visiting Seattle, 48-13.

"I'm very optimistic that as a unit, we're going to have a lot more turnovers than we've had," Barnett said. "I'm not going to say we're the best defense in the world. But it's getting there."

Before we get too carried away, remember that Seattle played without quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, all-world left tackle Walter Jones and right tackle Ray Willis. Running back Shaun Alexander, the league MVP in 2005, also carried the ball just three times.

Still, take nothing away from a Green Bay defense that played fast, instinctive and inspired.

"It's a major emphasis," Green Bay head coach Mike McCarthy said of forcing turnovers. "When the defense is on the field, that's ball extraction from the offense. We definitely accomplished it with six take-aways defensively. When you practice it and it shows up in the game, that's what you're looking for."

The Packers got just what they were looking for from several players. Among the highlights:

? Jarrett Bush, fighting to be Green Bay's No. 3 cornerback, intercepted a pair of passes and had his hands on a potential third pick.

"I think this helped," Bush said of winning the nickel job. "I feel a lot better."

? Atari Bigby, who's making a push to unseat Marquand Manuel at one safety position, helped his cause immensely.

Bigby had two sacks, both coming on plays where he was a designed blitzer. On one, Bigby looked like he was shot from a cannon when he leaped, drilled Seahawks quarterback Seneca Wallace and forced a fumble. Linebacker Tracy White recovered and returned that one 34 yards for a touchdown

"I think blitzing is one of my big strengths," Bigby said. "I'm hoping they can use that all year. Even if I don't start, they could bring me in for those kinds of plays."

? Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila did just what the Packers envision in his role as a third-down pass-rush specialist. On a third and 8 early in the second quarter, "KGB" set up reserve left tackle Tom Ashworth with an inside move, then whipped Ashworth around the corner. Gbaja-Biamila drilled Wallace and stripped the ball, then Barnett scooped it up and rumbled 62 yards for a score.

"I feel good about the defense," Gbaja-Biamila said. "I think we're going to have a great, dominant defense this year. I think we're going to dominate."

? Defensive end Cullen Jenkins continued his blistering start to the pre-season by recording a sack and two tackles for loss in just more than a quarter of play. Safety Charlie Peprah added an interception. Cornerback Will Blackmon forced a fumble that linebacker Spencer Havner recovered.

In addition to the six turnovers, Green Bay also notched seven sacks.

"I think turnovers have always been an emphasis," linebacker Brady Poppinga said. "It just so happens you're seeing more of it on the field. But it's always been a big, big emphasis."

The Packers could emphasize it 24-7 a few years back, but the truth is, they just didn't have enough playmakers. Today, nothing could be further from the truth.

Green Bay's talent and depth on the defensive line rivals almost any team in the NFL. The Packers' linebackers are an ascending bunch and the cornerback play figures to be outstanding. The biggest question remains who will start at safety opposite Nick Collins, but Green Bay believes it has answers in-house.

"This could be our best defense since I've been here," said Barnett, now in his fifth season. "Great at the linebackers. Great at the corners. Great competition at the safeties. And a hell of a lot of depth up front. It could be."

That should help the Packers get back to their ball-hawking ways from earlier in the decade.

Under Ed Donatell, who ran Green Bay's defense from 2000-'03, turnovers seemed to flow like beer at a frat house. The Packers ranked second in the league in take-aways in 2001 with 39, led the NFL with 45 in 2002 and were 10th overall last season with 32.

Under Bob Slowik in 2004, Green Bay tied for last in the NFL with just 15 take-aways. With Jim Bates leading the defense in 2005, the Packers forced 21 turnovers to rank just 26th.

Last season, though, Green Bay began a marked turnaround when it forced 33 turnovers to finish tied for fifth. The Packers were in pretty heady company, too, trailing only Chicago (44), Baltimore (40), Minnesota (36) and New England (35).

Green Bay is optimistic 2007 can be even better. The Packers set a goal of forcing three turnovers a game, and Saturday night was certainly a good start toward reaching that.

"It is pre-season, so I'm not going to jump the gun," Barnett said. "But you can see all the potential. We've just got to bring it all together."

"We definitely closed last year strong. I think as some of our younger guys got more familiar with what we were doing, we all started to grow together. Now that we've got that same group out there together, we're just able to adapt and play together."

HarveyWallbangers
08-22-2007, 11:13 PM
'Wild stallion' Favre seems a bit tamer
By RICHARD PUFALL

Green Bay - In 15 seasons as the only starting quarterback the Green Bay Packers have known, Brett Favre has played with a style all his own: always gambling, attacking, forcing the issue and the football, flying around the field at 100 miles per hour with his hair on fire. It is an approach that has served him well, winning him a Super Bowl ring, three NFL most valuable player awards and a spot in the waiting room of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

But Favre turns 38 on October 10, more than a month into his 16th season with the Packers and 17th in the NFL. Favre started training camp coming off rehab from ankle surgery, with a tender right shoulder and a heavy heart after the death of his wife's stepfather, Rocky Byrd, his friend and confidant.

So far in training camp, he hasn't been the old Favre. There have been few of those impossible rocket throws that have awed the crowd and there has been less swagger in his step. In the team's opening exhibition game in Pittsburgh, Favre was frustrated in four series, with no first downs, completing just 2 of 7 passes for 7 yards. His quarterback rating in his first-quarter cameo was a paltry 39.6.

"In '99 there'd be one a day where you'd go, 'Holy (bleep), I can't believe he made that throw,' " said Green Bay's head coach Mike McCarthy, who was Favre's quarterbacks coach that season. "It's not like the old days, but to me that's good, because I don't need him to play like a wild stallion anymore. We're not built that way."

Some believe that the Packers will opt for a low-risk, conservative offense that calls for Favre to be more of a manager than the swashbuckling leader of old. It appears McCarthy wants Favre to be a broken stallion, who can trot to just enough points, then rely on a defense the Packers hope will be among the league's best.

"Brett needs to go out and have his best year statistically that he's had in quite some time," McCarthy said. "Completion percentage. Low interceptions. We're going to have a good field-goal kicker."

Last season Favre cut his interception total to 18 from an NFL-leading 29 in 2005. But his 56.0% completion mark was the lowest of his career and his yards-per-attempt rate of 6.34 was his second-worst.

Saturday night in Green Bay's 48-13 rout of the Seattle Seahawks at Lambeau Field, Favre flashed a glimmer of the old No. 4, completing 7 of 12 passes for 74 yards and 104.2 rating in his second cameo.

Right now, Favre has rookie Brandon Jackson as his No. 1 running back, replacing Ahman Green, who signed with Houston as a free agent. And Favre lobbied hard for the Packers to sign wide receiver Randy Moss, who landed with the New England Patriots.

"There's two ways to look at this year," Favre said. "You're a young football team with a mature quarterback who has seen it all with a defense that by most people's standards is the best of our three (units). You may not score many points . . . so don't make any mistakes.

"Then again, what happens if we have to score points? I'm kind of in between that right now. At some point, you've got to turn it loose."

Donald Driver, Favre's Pro Bowl wide receiver and a Packer since 1999, sees no reason for Favre to change, but believes his quarterback will do what's best for the team.

"I don't know. Brett's going to be Brett," Driver said. "Brett's going to do exactly what he has to. It's hard to tell a guy to do this or do that. Both of those guys are on the same page, regardless of how you look at it, Brett and coach McCarthy are on the same page.

"Whenever they go into a scheme of what they're going to do and how they're going to do it, it's going to work for all of us."

The poor play of the offense in Pittsburgh took a toll on Favre who said: "I was as frustrated when I came out as I think I've ever been in pre-season."

Favre might believe he is the quarterback of a playoff team, but he's making no predictions.

"Would I love for us to win and go to the playoffs? Absolutely," Favre said. "Do I think that can happen? I do. Do I think we could struggle and make it harder on ourselves? We can go one of two ways, or hang in the middle."

Favre spoke of his halcyon days with the Packers 10 years ago when he worked with an experienced team that knew exactly what to expect from one another. He said today's kiddie crops of Packers "keep me youthful." He knows what McCarthy and general manager Ted Thompson expect of him, but he also knows what he expects from himself.

"They know," Favre said, referring to McCarthy and Thompson, "as well as I do, what we're up against offensively. It's a lot different than five years ago, six years ago, seven years ago. But at some point, I have to play the game."

Favre did not prepare for this training camp as an aging quarterback planning to pull his foot off the gas pedal. He put in eight weeks of hard work with a personal trainer and his willingness to study and prepare doesn't seem to be slipping away.

"Friday night at the hotel in Pittsburgh, I go down to check on things, and Brett's there watching film," McCarthy said. "He did 2½ hours of film study, and he's going to play 12 plays. We probably had 10 to 15 guys that came in.

"I'm leaving (Lambeau Field) Sunday night and he's coming back in. If anything, I have to restrain him. He's big into play selection. His mind is always about football."

McCarthy knows that there are no guarantees with Favre or any player. He expects Favre to be effective, but he assumes nothing.

"I don't think you can," he replied. "I think it's an easy mind-set to fall into, but he needs to be coached like everybody else. We get on him, but 99 times out of 100 he's already saying, 'I screwed that thing up.'

"But it is different. You're talking to a guy . . . that views the game like a coach. Sometimes he worries too much. This guy is a lot more dedicated classroom-wise and schematically than he was in '99 when I was coaching him. Not even close."

Driver sees the same Favre in practice that he has always known. He isn't worried about Favre's ability to make plays.

"No, no, I'm nervous that he can make the same plays," Driver said. "Some of these (new) guys see a certain ball (pass) come through between two guys and they go, 'man, who made that throw?' And I say, 'he's been making that throw for 17 years.' These guys, like James Jones, they're seeing if for the first time in their life. I've been seeing it for a long time. He's not going to change the way he plays the game. He loves it too much."

Against Seattle, in a brief appearance, Driver caught two passes for 26 yards.

"We've been doing it for nine years," Driver said. "I can always learn more from him. And the thing that's so surprising, is you would never think he learns from you, because he's the older guy, but he's also learning from me, as well.

"But I'm always listening to him and I'm always paying attention to him. And that's what I have to do, because he's the one throwing the ball. And if he wants me in a certain spot then I have to be there for him and that's what it's all about."

And soon, everyone will see what Favre - vintage 2007 - is all about.

HarveyWallbangers
08-22-2007, 11:20 PM
Hall's talent translates in full
By LORI NICKEL

Green Bay - Even Korey Hall is a little disbelieving.

Just a few months ago, he was preparing himself for the possibility that the draft would come and go and he would latch on somewhere as a free agent linebacker.

Instead, the Green Bay Packers drafted him to be a fullback, a position he hasn't played since high school.

The move wasn't totally out of the blue - Hall tested for both positions at his pro day - but he should have been a long-term project. Though he was lumped in with a veteran and two other rookies fighting for the job, Hall was the only one who had to learn an entirely new position.

A realist, Hall won't look for permanent housing in Green Bay yet until "I'm sure I make the team." He said this even after playing fullback for the majority of both exhibition games.

"For a guy like me, that's not set in stone," said Hall. "You don't really have a chance to take anything for granted."

From the looks of things, it is time for Hall to start house-hunting. Hall's transition has gone so well that he may have, after about four months, locked up the starting job.

That means the job William Henderson once held for more than a decade could be filled by a rookie from Boise State who was perhaps too small to play linebacker in the NFL but too good not to get on the field some way, somehow.

"We thought he was a heck of a football player, and we'd figure out a way to (make the transition)," Packers general manager Ted Thompson said. "But he seems to have taken up the position pretty well and has played pretty good. Played very well in this most recent game. We'll see how it comes out."

Before this summer, Hall's only fullback experience was at Glenns Ferry High, where he also played linebacker and running back. He had 2,802 yards rushing for his prep career, but it was an experience he doesn't draw much from now.

"Especially the high school I came from, it would be hard to take anything away from that," Hall said

The transition for the 6-foot, 236-pound Hall began when he met Packers running backs coach Edgar Bennett to work on his technique. Hall really had to lower his pad level.

"It's something I've really picked up in full pads in practice," said Hall. "It's forced me to stay low or else you get run over."

In the meantime, Hall decided to make the most of three advantages he has over lifelong offensive players: One, he's already programmed to attack, so blocking giants might actually be fun. Two, he can recognize the defensive fronts and stunts a little quicker and a little better because he's played them. Finally, Hall said that it was easier to play fullback because he already knows the play.

"You don't do a lot of reading, and that's something that's a little bit easier," he said. "And fullback is probably one of the easier positions (to learn) on the offensive side of the ball in general, just because you have to be able to make contact. That is one of the things that can transfer from me being a linebacker, being able to make contact."

It does help that Hall is smart. He scored 25 on the Wonderlic and he's learning on the job at an impressive pace.

"Very bright kid. Very diligent. Very serious about his work," said Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin. "He's got a great attitude, he's a positive guy. If he runs a route wrong, by the time he gets back, he will say to 'E.B.' or me, 'I should have had a flat route or I should have run a hook route.' Though he may make a mistake, he usually knows it before he gets back and gets an earful from the coach.

"You like that in a player, it shows a guy's got instincts and he can correct himself. We're real impressed so far. Good kid. He's got a long way to go but he's come a long way awful fast."

One of the things Hall has been working on has been switching with fellow rookie running back Brandon Jackson in their pass protection.

Jackson gave this example: protecting against a three-four front, Jackson would normally have the strong side linebacker on the edge. But he and Hall can switch, to allow Hall to move over and Jackson to take the middle linebacker. The benefit? Hall takes the bigger linebacker, and Hall, being a former linebacker, loves the hit.

"I have no doubt that he can block and hit that guy because he's really a linebacker, so he knows how to fill the hole," said Jackson. "We'll have no problems there."

Hall has also ascended the depth chart by managing to stay healthy. Third-year fullback Brandon Miree, returning to action this week, has missed most of training camp with injuries and Ryan Powdrell injured his knee in the exhibition game against Seattle. That leaves Hall, newly signed free agent Erryn Cobb and Corey White, who has been used more as a running back with 21 carries for 47 yards in two games.

Of the lot, Hall has received the majority of snaps at fullback, playing 2 1/2 quarters of the Pittsburgh exhibition game and about three in the Seattle game.

"He's getting better and better," Bennett said. "He's making tremendous progress. I love his attitude, his toughness, his physicality, his smarts. He very rarely makes mistakes. He's got good hands. He had so many attributes for playing the fullback position, it's been an extremely pleasant surprise."

Though the Packers ran for only 79 yards against the Seahawks, Hall was on the field blocking for a couple of Jackson's better runs last Saturday. He also had a catch for 8 yards.

"He's instinctive in the run game, he understands his reads and he understands his assignments and he's becoming more consistent with his footwork," Bennett said. "The kid has truly come along at a rapid pace."