PDA

View Full Version : Sal Cap/Rookie Pool Question

Fritz
08-02-2007, 07:29 AM
Here's a question I can't find an answer to: Let's say that Jamarcus Russell just doesn't sign, maybe two games into the pre-season. And say Al Davis gets tired of it and, being Al Davis, decides to dump Russell. So he trades Russell to another team with a lot of salary cap room. But that team has already used up its rookie pool money to sign its draft picks.

Where does the money come from to sign Russelll? Can it come from the sal cap at large? Or can the trade not be made because the team has used its rookie pool money?

Joemailman
08-02-2007, 07:40 AM
I would think that the rookie pool money only applies to players you drafted. Therefore the team that acquired Russell could use their overall cap money on him. However, that's just an educated guess. Where's Patler when you need him?

Zool
08-02-2007, 08:23 AM
I would think that the rookie pool money only applies to players you drafted. Therefore the team that acquired Russell could use their overall cap money on him. However, that's just an educated guess. Where's Patler when you need him?I would think this sounds about right. The pool is allocated to the picks your team makes on draft day, so anything above and beyond should hit the normal cap space. I think?

Fritz
08-04-2007, 09:25 AM
Makes sense. Thanks.