PDA

View Full Version : Favre Remains Adored

Bretsky
08-02-2007, 09:18 AM
Despite the critics, Favre remains adored
Richard Pufall

Green Bay - The gray-haired old gentleman was remarkably spry as he moved about Clarke Hinkle Field. But why was there a football in his right hand where an AARP card belongs? Shouldn't this geezer be more concerned about breaking his hip rather than the passing records of Dan Marino? Hey, No. 4, time to pack it in and call it a career. Hop on your lawn tractor, grandpa, and ride off into the sunset on your way to the nursing home.

These are the images and messages being sent to one Brett Lorenzo Favre as he prepares for his 17th season in the National Football League, and his 16th as the heart, soul and arm of the Green Bay Packers.

The negative pictures and suggestions come from a cadre of critics, most of them toiling from a safe distance, well beyond the boundaries of the Dairy State. Some write newspaper and Internet columns. Then there are the bloggers. The squawk radio shows. And TV's talking heads. Or maybe it's your neighbor, Jerry, wailing to you over the backyard fence. Or your barber. How about that bartender in Minneapolis or the cop in Chicago?

Brett Favre's critics might be getting louder, but according to his friend, Donald Driver, teammates and fans believe in their quarterback now as much as they ever did.

They all have one thing in common, according to Donald Driver, Favre's close friend and business associate:

"They don't know him, plain and simple," Driver said after a recent training camp practice. "Everyone is going to say what they want to say about everyone in this locker room. Not just Brett, but everyone. But if you don't know him, then you can't make any decisions on his career.

"You can have an opinion. But if you don't know him, if you haven't seen him . . . You see him out there throwing and everybody's screaming, 'I love you Brett, I love this, I love that.'

"I think everyone in this locker room, especially the receivers, we know he can still throw. That's the test, that we know he can still throw."

Driver has known Favre since 1999 when the wide receiver from Alcorn State defied the odds and moved from lowly seventh-round draft choice to be become the quarterback's No. 1 wide receiver and a two-time Pro Bowl selection.

Favre has thrown 414 touchdown passes and needs just seven more to break Marino's all-time NFL record. Driver has been the catcher on 34 of those strikes, trailing only Antonio Freeman (57) and Sterling Sharpe (41).

But the real hookup between quarterback and receiver has nothing to do with numbers. What has Favre really meant to Driver?

"Everything," Driver said. "As a friend, as a teammate. I mean, I love him just like I would love my mom, my dad, my brothers. He's like family to me. Just like I'm family to him, and I think he would say that, too.

"When you have that relationship between two people, it makes it hard to separate. Because they always say, people don't buy friends. I didn't have to buy his (friendship). He didn't have to buy mine. We just became one.

"And when you have that, it makes it so easy for both of us to tell another man that you love him. Grown men don't say that. But I can be the first to say that . . . I can tell Brett that I love him, and I'll bet you he'll say the same thing about me."

Meanwhile, back at the Favre critics; there seems to be way too much focus on numbers and just not enough on, well . . . love.

Last season Favre threw a career-high 613 passes, but threw the fewest touchdowns (18) since 1992, his first season with Green Bay. The number most people dwell on, however, is 38: Favre's age as of October 10.

They say 38 is the age of no return for NFL quarterbacks. Nobody - or anything without a cork - gets better with age. Favre is no exception. He doesn't move as well as once did and doesn't run much anymore. And he frequently misfires on throws that were bull's-eyes 10 years ago.

But football is the ultimate team game and Favre's "low" touchdown production last season had more to do with his supporting cast and Green Bay's offensive scheme than the quarterback's ability.

Green Bay was a day-care center in 2006, featuring a roster loaded with kids. Specifically, as many as three rookies could be found starting in the offensive line. To protect those linemen while they learned, the Packers frequently kept a tight end in the backfield or slot to help with pass blocking.

So Favre found himself throwing more and enjoying it less.

Open receivers were hard to come by. Sure, Favre threw his share of bad passes and interceptions (18), but it was the team passing game that suffered the most.

Eight times in Favre's career, he threw 30 or more touchdown passes. But he got more help from his friends in those days than he did last season.

That could change his fall. The line is much improved, freeing the tight ends to look more for passes than oncoming linebackers. And Green Bay has 12 quality wide receivers. When the Packers trim that number to five, many of the casualties will find immediate employment elsewhere in the NFL.

Favre led the offense on the first day of training camp Saturday, but was called away when tragedy struck his family. His wife Deanna's stepfather, Rocky Byrd, died at the age of 56, in Gulfport, Miss. Favre missed the morning workout Sunday, practiced that night, then left early Monday for Mississippi. He was expected back at practice Thursday.

And when he returns, Driver will be there for his friend and teammate.

Last season, Favre and Driver launched a post-touchdown tradition, with the quarterback carrying the receiver on his shoulder after a touchdown connection. Now, with Favre stalking Marino, Driver has a new wrinkle:

"Instead of him carrying me, we as a group of receivers, we may get together and just start carrying him every time he throws a touchdown. Just go grab him and carry him off the field."

Meanwhile, Favre's critics will get carried away as they always have.

packinpatland
08-02-2007, 10:08 AM
Thank goodness 'adored' is not the same as 'worshipped'. :wink:

Merlin
08-02-2007, 10:15 AM
Remember though, it's all on Favre as to how the Packers do this season...

:P

woodbuck27
08-02-2007, 10:26 AM

The Shadow knows !!

Packnut
08-02-2007, 11:41 AM

The Shadow knows !!

That's classic! Thanks for the chuckle. Seriously, that guy could read 10 articles written by 10 different writers saying the same thing I posted earlier to him like this one did, and he still won't get it.

The Shadow
08-02-2007, 12:30 PM

The Shadow knows !!

That's classic! Thanks for the chuckle. Seriously, that guy could read 10 articles written by 10 different writers saying the same thing I posted earlier to him like this one did, and he still won't get it.

To be quite truthful, I have a hard time understanding most of the points (like this one) you labor so hard to express.

Packnut
08-02-2007, 12:41 PM

The Shadow knows !!

To be quite truthful, I have a hard time understanding most of the points (like this one) you labor so hard to express.

Well, I really don't know what is so hard to understand about it being a TEAM game or the fact that a QB need's talent around him. I fail to see what is so hard to understand about having the most drops in the league which does reflect a QB's completion percentage and also his picks. What don't you get about rookie offensive lineman or max protect? These are all common things in the game of football.

Try reading the article, cause it's mostly all there. But hey, if blaming Favre makes it easier for you, have at it. Your in a very small minority which speaks for itself..........

The Shadow
08-02-2007, 12:45 PM
"......But hey, if blaming Favre makes it easier for you, have at it."

Hmmmm....interesting.
Let me get this straight : NOW it's 'BLAMING FAVRE' if the opinion is expressed that his decision-making is the key element in the Packer's success this season?
Wow.

KYPack
08-02-2007, 09:59 PM
Uh-oh.

Get a room, boys.

woodbuck27
08-02-2007, 10:26 PM

The Shadow knows !!

Well, I really don't know what is so hard to understand about it being a TEAM game or the fact that a QB need's talent around him. I fail to see what is so hard to understand about having the most drops in the league which does reflect a QB's completion percentage and also his picks. What don't you get about rookie offensive lineman or max protect? These are all common things in the game of football.

Try reading the article, cause it's mostly all there. But hey, if blaming Favre makes it easier for you, have at it. Your in a very small minority which speaks for itself..........

Favre shold be making an average of 35 pass's per game and certainly at his age, not leading all NFL QB is pass attempts. That's really not too cool and reflects very well on the state of the OL and running game.

As in. . . it's not been good. It must improve. Now really, what's the chance?

I believe that TT can do more and he must do more soon. He can't believe he's got all his ducks in a row, or can he?

This isn't a news flash. :)

Way over the top too many pass's in 2007, too many QB hurries and Favre's ability to escape the rush (or scramble) accounted for the low number of QB sacks (24) last season.

We all should agree on that as a fact. Uhhhh ?

The main contributors talent wise on the 2006 'O' were Favre, Donald Driver and someone, a RB who toiled his heart out for us sice acquired fr. Seattle and who's now in Houston.

Now also! This isn't a case of two out of three ain't bad.

I don't beleve we have a solid RB in TC as yet.

GrnBay007
08-02-2007, 10:29 PM
"Instead of him carrying me, we as a group of receivers, we may get together and just start carrying him every time he throws a touchdown. Just go grab him and carry him off the field."

That would be cool!

The Shadow
08-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Well, now.
The offensive line should certainly be better this season, with Colledge, Spitz, Wells, and Moll having more experience together, and the addition of Barbre doesn't hurt. Clifton & Tauscher are excellent bookends.
The receiving corp, from all reports, appears much more dynamic.
We lost Green, and as good as he was for a number of seasons, age and hits -as well as asthma - inevitably take their toll. Thankfully, running back is one position that is the easiest for a rook to adapt to, and a fleet of young legs, ala Morency, Jackson, and, I believe, Pope, may wind up accounting for itself quite ably.
It certainly appears we have an improving defense, which has a very decent shot at ranking high in the league.
I just don't see a mediocre team here relying totally on a single player to win; I see a team that, with smart, sound decision-making - on all levels - could be a real NFL surprise team.