PDA

View Full Version : Despite slow start, Jennings has star power

RashanGary
08-02-2007, 11:39 AM
By Tom Pelissero
tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

Like starting quarterback Brett Favre, backup Aaron Rodgers has completed more passes to rookie James Jones than any other receiver in training camp.

When Rodgers talks to friends around the league, though, they echo the words he spoke with conviction in the locker room this week:

No matter how much others grab the spotlight in July and August, Greg Jennings is the Green Bay Packers receiver with the talent to emerge as a star in September.

"He's our second-best wide receiver, regardless of what's happened so far," Rodgers said of Jennings, a second-round pick who was a rookie training camp star in his own right last summer.

"He's fast. He runs great routes, catches the ball with his hands. He's athletic, he does stuff with the ball after the catch, he has a great first move off the line of scrimmage, and we get in arguments because he always takes the blame. He's a man of integrity, so if something happens out there and it's questionable whose fault it is, he's going to be the first one to say, 'It's my fault.'

"For a receiver, it's a very welcome attribute."

Jennings, 5-foot-11 and 197 pounds, had 45 receptions for 632 yards and three touchdowns in 14 games (11 starts) last season. Considering the struggles many rookie receivers have, those are solid numbers, especially since injuries left him less than full strength about half the year.

"You felt like he was a veteran guy a year ago," receivers coach Jimmy Robinson said. "He plays like a guy who knows what he's doing."

It makes sense a healthy Jennings is crucial to a young offense that needs all the playmakers it can get. But consider this:

When Jennings had three catches or fewer (or was inactive) last season, the Packers were 7-3. When he had four catches or more, they were 1-5.

Teams generally throw more often when they're behind, and some of Jennings' biggest plays came in games when he didn't touch the ball much, such as his 75-yard touchdown grab in a win Sept. 24 at Detroit. (He finished with three receptions for 101 yards.)

Still, it's worth noting during the Packers' two best stretches — back-to-back midseason triumphs against Miami and Arizona, and the season-ending four-game winning streak — Jennings largely was a nonfactor, with one catch or less in all but one game.

Even in a victory Dec. 21 against Minnesota, Jennings was at least partially to blame for two Favre interceptions, one of which Fred Smoot returned 47 yards for the Vikings' only touchdown.

It was Jennings' play the month before the injury, sustained at Miami, that all but guaranteed him the No. 2 job alongside Donald Driver this season. In four games, he posted all three of his touchdowns and roughly half of his other statistics — 19 receptions for 359 yards.

"I'm a precision route-runner. That's what I pride myself in," Jennings said. "Not being able to … get off the ball, that affected my game."

By all accounts, Jennings is healthy, recovered from the ankle injury and the hip flexor problem that sidelined him for part of organized team activities in June.

Yet in spite of Driver's absence the first three days of training camp, Jennings has done little to stand out. He's averaged one catch during 11-on-11 periods the first six practices; Jones has averaged nearly three.

"It's not like we're not trying to get (Jennings) the ball, but we're certainly not designing it just for him to get the ball," offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. "I don't think you can read much into it.

"Has he made a ton of plays yet? Probably not as many as he'd like. But I'm sure his opportunities will increase."

Unlike Jones, who has practiced almost exclusively at flanker, Jennings moved all over the field in his rookie camp last summer. That gave him an extensive knowledge of the offensive system, which relies heavily on mirrored routes, and added versatility for playing all three primary receiver spots.

"It's not like (Jennings) does one thing great and another thing bad — he just knows how to make plays," cornerback Charles Woodson said. "He knows how to get open. He's good off a press (coverage), which you've got to be in this league. He's good."

How good?

The answer to that question won't be clear until Jennings stays healthy for an entire season.

"When you got a guy who can't practice Wednesday, can't practice Thursday, goes light on Friday and tries to play in the game on a bad ankle?" Rodgers said. "Thankfully, he was able to tough it out and go out there when we needed him in a game, at 60, 70 (percent), whatever he was at. But Greg Jennings at 100 percent is definitely in the top echelon of the wide receivers in the league, and I think we're going to find out this year what he's all about."

Story Chat

Add Comment | View All Comments

Holiday and Martin Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:06 am
I also hope Holiday and Martin continue to improve. Both showed flashes last year. Getting to at least 5 guys we have confidence in at WR would be great. That would leave Robinson as a bonus if he does make it back.
Reader Comment Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:01 am
Whoa, let's not go overboard on James Jones yet. We havent seen anything from him.
Greg Jennings Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:52 am
Greg Jennings said it himself, "In your rookie year, you practice as hard as you can. Maybe you get yourself worn down. This year I'm a little bit smarter and need to pace myself better."

The Pack is also testing James Jones to see if we have 3 great receivers instead of just 2.
Jennings Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:38 am
I would rather have Jennings's slow start in the training camp and pre-season than in the season like poor Robert Ferguson.

We need as fans to support whoever gets put out on the field. Carlisle Holiday and Ruvell Martin could also become special wide receivers if given the chance.

I hope that the coaches set up a real competition for every spot, except Donald Driver's, in the pre-season. A number of receivers, like Holiday and Martin, could step up big time. AFter all, we shoulc NEVER forget that Donald himself was a seventh round draft pick from little Alcorn State!!!

If the coaches have a real competition it could be Driver and Holiday, or Driver and Jones, or Driver and Martin, who become the starting two.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Great article.

wist43
08-02-2007, 12:01 PM
I agree that Jennings has a chance to be a good player... has to stay healthy, and the Packers OL has to get its act together.

Blocking with 7 puts 3 receivers into the pattern; and, since teams really don't need to blitz to get pressure, you're looking at those 3 being covered by 7... hard to put up numbers under those conditions.

Partial
08-02-2007, 12:05 PM
Great article. When Chuck Woodson outright says a player is a stud in two articles already (saying James Jones is having a good camp for a rookie, but isn't anywhere near the same level as a Greg Jennings), you know things are looking good.

Our receiving core is looking up quite a bit. Kind of reminds me of Indy's except we lack a tight end. Kind of funny how they have so much red zone success without a big, Terrell Owens sized receiver yet everyone here is in such panic that we don't have one.

RashanGary
08-02-2007, 12:12 PM
I know Partial. I believe a strong Oline is the key to the redzone. We had a physically weak one last year. If this years Oline is strong and gets a push in the redzone, we'll have a good offense with yards and points.

RashanGary
08-02-2007, 12:15 PM
I agree that Jennings has a chance to be a good player... has to stay healthy, and the Packers OL has to get its act together.

Blocking with 7 puts 3 receivers into the pattern; and, since teams really don't need to blitz to get pressure, you're looking at those 3 being covered by 7... hard to put up numbers under those conditions.

For Jennings to succeed, yes. For the offense to succeed in the redzone I think run blocking is going to be, by FAR, the biggest factor in us scoring points. If they can't get a push, we lose. It's taht simple. Between the 20's I think we'll be fine even if the line is similar to last year. IT's the points that this team needs.

retailguy
08-02-2007, 12:28 PM
For the offense to succeed in the redzone I think run blocking is going to be, by FAR, the biggest factor in us scoring points. If they can't get a push, we lose. It's taht simple.

when I say this you call me negative... What a joke.

The Shadow
08-02-2007, 12:34 PM
Jennings has a bit of that elusive 'certain something' - at least in my opinion - that greatly enhances his overall abilities. I thought Antonio Freeman had the same quality in his prime years.

red
08-02-2007, 03:32 PM
of course he has that special something

he's a WMU Bronco

he has all the tools, he had them in college. if he can stay healthy, and he should, he will be a star

very soon

RashanGary
08-02-2007, 05:26 PM
For the offense to succeed in the redzone I think run blocking is going to be, by FAR, the biggest factor in us scoring points. If they can't get a push, we lose. It's taht simple.

You say it like our guys suck and have no chance to be better than this year. I say it like it was our biggest problem and this years most likely group to make big improvements. As similar as it seems, our opininos on the offensive line are very different. You assume a bad line. I think it will be a good line and therefor a good offense in the redzone.

The Shadow
08-02-2007, 05:33 PM
I think the offensive line will quickly evolve into a Packer strength.

RashanGary
08-02-2007, 05:35 PM
I think the offensive line will quickly evolve into a Packer strength.

There, now here is a guy who thinks like me :)

It will help the run game, the pass game, but most importantly, it will help the redzone efficiency.

woodbuck27
08-02-2007, 10:52 PM

yaaa but. . . do you say it the same way? :)

Fritz
08-04-2007, 09:41 AM
That line from Rodgers about Jennings's willingness to take the blame as a "welcome attribute, especially in a wide receiver" is interesting.

Packer receivers that never seemed to take responsibility:

Ferguson (this one's for you, Bretsky)

Sterling Sharpe (I just remember him pointing fingers - literally - a whole lot)

Antonio Freeman (Seemed like he had lots of excuses)

Who did I miss? Could we make Ryan Longwell an honorary wide receiver so he can be the captain of this team?

Carolina_Packer
08-04-2007, 10:00 AM
Pehaps that's why TT likes the young, trying to make a name for themselves type guys, vs. the fat and happy, set in their ways, established veteran.

Bretsky
08-04-2007, 10:10 AM
Love Jennings and think he's a solid starter. The talk of Jones looking better than Jennings is bunk. Not going to happen barring injuries in the regular season.

But if Jones steps up to be the solid #3 that was a very good pick.

woodbuck27
08-04-2007, 04:02 PM
Pehaps that's why TT likes the young, trying to make a name for themselves type guys, vs. the fat and happy, set in their ways, established veteran.

I don't beleve that's why TT likes the young guys, and I don't mean this in any manner than in terms of NFL football.

Vets that are keyed to winning understand needs on our team fully.

I really believe that TT is just learning how to serve us as a GM. There is too much evidence of just that. He's like us all.

Just learning. He's human and as a result imperfect.

Maybe he'll deliver, but he has a ways to go. We'll as a group get a better picture this season. That's what we're here for.

KYPack
08-04-2007, 04:17 PM
That line from Rodgers about Jennings's willingness to take the blame as a
Antonio Freeman (Seemed like he had lots of excuses)

Who did I miss? Could we make Ryan Longwell an honorary wide receiver so he can be the captain of this team?

I don't really remember Free having a bunch of excuses for his play.

I do remember when he came up with that classic:

"There was nobody driving officer, we were all in the back seat", after he tagged that light pole drunk in the restaurant parking lot.