Coming up next.

BallHawk
08-02-2007, 03:26 PM
Crap, I missed it.

What'd he say?

Packnut
08-02-2007, 03:33 PM
Full interview on Sportcenter Sunday.

Tidbits- Stated he'd rather win and go to playoffs than break records. Will retire when he can't make the throws he's used to making. Talked about Moss and does'nt know if he has enough time to develope chemistry with the young WR's.

Schlerath and Salsbury debated which QB they would take.

MS picked Favre over Marino-SS picked Marino
MS took Aikman and SS took Favre because of the difference in talent each had.
Both picked Brady over Farve.
MS took Young while SS picked Brett

packinpatland
08-02-2007, 03:33 PM
Me too. What did he have to say?

BallHawk
08-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Brady's a top 5 all-time QB, but no way is he better then Favre. Look at Brady's supporting cast compared to Favre's. Who had more help. The statistics say it all.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Marino and Brady are definitely debatable, but Aikman and Young? To me, Aikman was very good, but not in the top 5-10 argument. Am I the only one who thought Young was overrated? Good QB, no doubt, but he doesn't belong in an argument discussing the best QBs of all-time.

BallHawk
08-02-2007, 03:56 PM
Marino and Brady are definitely debatable, but Aikman and Young? To me, Aikman was very good, but not in the top 5-10 argument. Am I the only one who thought Young was overrated? Good QB, no doubt, but he doesn't belong in an argument discussing the best QBs of all-time.

I agree with you on Aikman. He's maybe in the 7-10 area. Young could be considered top 5. I think Brady, Favre, Marino, and Montana are in it, no doubt.

Packnut
08-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Brady's a top 5 all-time QB, but no way is he better then Favre. Look at Brady's supporting cast compared to Favre's. Who had more help. The statistics say it all.

Well, according to both, Brady did more with less. To me, it's like the line from a Duke movie when ask to compare two of the fastest guns and he replied "I'd hate to have to live on the difference". :lol:

The Leaper
08-02-2007, 04:15 PM

I disagree on Young.

Young had a brilliant 7 year stretch in SF...comparable to just about any NFL QB's best 7 year stretch. I don't think you can hold the fact he sat for 4-5 years behind Montana against him. He didn't have the chance to put up numbers like Favre or Marino did for an extended period, but he was no less talented.

Aikman is overrated. The guy was on perhaps the most talented offensive unit in history outside of Lombardi's Packers. He managed the game extremely well, but he certainly is not one of the best QBs of all-time.

I would take Favre over Marino due to mobility. I would take Favre over Young due to durability. Aikman doesn't even compare to Favre. Brady is probably the only guy I am likely to put ahead of Favre in this particular discussion.

The Leaper
08-02-2007, 04:18 PM

Well, in terms of OFFENSIVE support, I don't think Brady has had all that much to work with. In fact, I would suggest that Brady's offensive support through most of his career has been just as mediocre as Favre's...although Favre did post superior numbers offensively to Brady to this point with similar talent to work with.

Clearly, the reason Brady has more rings is due to DEFENSIVE/SPECIAL TEAMS/COACHING support...where he clearly has had more help over a prolonged period than Favre has.

Bretsky
08-02-2007, 06:16 PM

Agree Harv; Young I'd think would be top 20. Definitely not top 5. Maybe he barely squeezes into the top 10. But I wouldn't have him that high

4and12to12and4
08-02-2007, 06:52 PM

Well, in terms of OFFENSIVE support, I don't think Brady has had all that much to work with. In fact, I would suggest that Brady's offensive support through most of his career has been just as mediocre as Favre's...although Favre did post superior numbers offensively to Brady to this point with similar talent to work with.

Clearly, the reason Brady has more rings is due to DEFENSIVE/SPECIAL TEAMS/COACHING support...where he clearly has had more help over a prolonged period than Favre has.

Hammer meet nail. My thoughts exactly about Brady. NO WAY is Brady a better QB than Brett. Brady is an excellent qb, no doubt, but the Patriots extremely confusing, well coached, well executed defense is the main reason that Brady has had the success he has, not to mention one of the best postseason field goal kickers in NFL history. To be honest, if I were starting a team and could choose between Tom Brady, Carson Palmer, and Drew Brees, I'd go Palmer, Brees, Brady, Period. Drew Brees doesn't get enough credit, he is an offensive jugernaut and doesn't need great weapons to make completions. He is cerebral and has great instincts, and a better than average arm. Carson Palmer is, too me, the most accurate long ball passer in the NFL today, and he has great arm strength, and he has that "it" factor in his approach to the game, and very confident/cocky swagger to him. I think Carson is better than Brady, Tom just happens to have a genius head coach, and great defensive players to run his scheme.

Brett Favre is the only QB who can boast winning season after winning season after winning season after winning season up until two years ago. It compares to the streak of the Atlanta Braves winning their division 8 million years in a row, but, all these other QB's have to prove in the next 5 to 8 years that they can keep their teams in contention for the playoffs over and over and over again. Brady is lucky. Think of the talent they went and put around an already good team, my god, they were kicking the shit out of the Colts last year at half time, and if they hang on, they probably win another championship, but it was their DEFENSE that let them down. And, when that happened, Brady couldn't keep up with the Colts.

I have always said, taking every aspect of a QB's responsibilities and talents into play, Brett Favre comes out as No. 1, no questions asked. If not for his high interception ratio, this wouldn't even be a discussion. He has had a roulette of players in and out through the years, and just kept winning. If not for the failure of our defense against the run, he'd have two rings, and I wouldn't put it past him to get that second ring this year, he's that great a competitor and player. If our defense holds up it's end of the bargain, and we stay relatively healthy, Brett will get his chance this year. He is the best ever. Period. Montana isn't even close, he had a system and players around him that were ahead of their time. He was accurate and smart, but had no arm strength whatsoever. Marino was a great slinger, but couldn't move two feet out of the pocket. All the other QB's have many more inefficiencies than Brett. Favre is the complete package, and I think he is not only the greatest QB to ever play, I think he is the greatest "football player" to ever put on a uniform.

Green and Gold goggles officially off. :oops:

MadtownPacker
08-02-2007, 09:41 PM
DAAAAAAMMMNNNNNNN!!! 4&12to12&4 broke it down like a jack hammer on pavement!! Great post man.

Partial
08-02-2007, 09:44 PM
You are smoking crack man. Palmer and Brees over Brady?!? Brady isn't old by any means and is one tough mofo. That, and he straight up wins. He is without question the best QB in the league. Peyton is right behind him. Then Palmer.

In my 16+ years of watching football, Elway and Favre were probably the best in their primes of the older/previous generation. Brady and Manning are the two great quarterbacks of their generation. Honorable mention goes to Jim Kelly and Steve Young.

woodbuck27
08-02-2007, 10:48 PM
You are smoking crack man. Palmer and Brees over Brady?!? Brady isn't old by any means and is one tough mofo. That, and he straight up wins. He is without question the best QB in the league. Peyton is right behind him. Then Palmer.

In my 16+ years of watching football, Elway and Favre were probably the best in their primes of the older/previous generation. Brady and Manning are the two great quarterbacks of their generation. Honorable mention goes to Jim Kelly and Steve Young.

Did you see Jim Kelly play?

Scott Campbell
08-02-2007, 10:58 PM
Montana isn't even close, he had a system and players around him that were ahead of their time. He was accurate and smart, but had no arm strength whatsoever.

Must not have watched the guy play much.

Partial
08-02-2007, 11:32 PM

Did you see Jim Kelly play?

A couple o' super bowls

woodbuck27
08-03-2007, 12:42 AM

Hammer meet nail. My thoughts exactly about Brady. NO WAY is Brady a better QB than Brett. Brady is an excellent qb, no doubt, but the Patriots extremely confusing, well coached, well executed defense is the main reason that Brady has had the success he has, not to mention one of the best postseason field goal kickers in NFL history. To be honest, if I were starting a team and could choose between Tom Brady, Carson Palmer, and Drew Brees, I'd go Palmer, Brees, Brady, Period. Drew Brees doesn't get enough credit, he is an offensive jugernaut and doesn't need great weapons to make completions. He is cerebral and has great instincts, and a better than average arm. Carson Palmer is, too me, the most accurate long ball passer in the NFL today, and he has great arm strength, and he has that "it" factor in his approach to the game, and very confident/cocky swagger to him. I think Carson is better than Brady, Tom just happens to have a genius head coach, and great defensive players to run his scheme.

Brett Favre is the only QB who can boast winning season after winning season after winning season after winning season up until two years ago. It compares to the streak of the Atlanta Braves winning their division 8 million years in a row, but, all these other QB's have to prove in the next 5 to 8 years that they can keep their teams in contention for the playoffs over and over and over again. Brady is lucky. Think of the talent they went and put around an already good team, my god, they were kicking the shit out of the Colts last year at half time, and if they hang on, they probably win another championship, but it was their DEFENSE that let them down. And, when that happened, Brady couldn't keep up with the Colts.

I have always said, taking every aspect of a QB's responsibilities and talents into play, Brett Favre comes out as No. 1, no questions asked. If not for his high interception ratio, this wouldn't even be a discussion. He has had a roulette of players in and out through the years, and just kept winning. If not for the failure of our defense against the run, he'd have two rings, and I wouldn't put it past him to get that second ring this year, he's that great a competitor and player. If our defense holds up it's end of the bargain, and we stay relatively healthy, Brett will get his chance this year. He is the best ever. Period. Montana isn't even close, he had a system and players around him that were ahead of their time. He was accurate and smart, but had no arm strength whatsoever. Marino was a great slinger, but couldn't move two feet out of the pocket. All the other QB's have many more inefficiencies than Brett. Favre is the complete package, and I think he is not only the greatest QB to ever play, I think he is the greatest "football player" to ever put on a uniform.

Green and Gold goggles officially off. :oops:

If any Packer fan has doubts of where Brett Favre ranks compared to all QB's during his tenure, or amongst all QB's of the modern era he/she should scan over this, as a refresher: :)

http://www.packers.com/team/players/favre_brett/

Now that, is something else.

Pacopete4
08-03-2007, 03:01 AM
i think we base things on SB rings toooooo much.. lets wait to play out brady's 30's and see what we think of him then.. FAVRE was unreal, best QB ever during a 5 yr span.. yet still stuns us with his play at 38.. lets please wait to see the results of Brady and Manning before we give them life in the sentence of Favre, Marino, Elway (note the order)