Observation deck: O-line goes from weakness to strength
By John Clayton
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: August 2, 2007
Comment
Email
Print
GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Five observations from Green Bay Packers training camp, gleaned from the team's practices:

1. Jackson hoping to be a thriller
Brandon Jackson is an interesting choice at running back. He had a relatively unknown career at Nebraska and finished the season as a backup. Now he has a chance to get a starting job with a Packers team that lost Ahman Green through free agency. He's not tall and he doesn't have blazing speed, but he's a tough runner and a hard worker. During his first Packers practice, he had trouble catching the ball, dropping two. Vernand Morency is expected to be the starter, but he banged his shoulder at the start of camp and missed a few practices. Morency, according to coach Mike McCarthy, fits the Packers' zone blocking scheme because he's good at making one cut and going. What the team is missing, though, is the explosiveness at the position. That's where Green spoiled the Packers. On any given snap, he could break off a long touchdown run. Plus, he was a leader and one of the hardest workers on the team. Jackson can get to the outside, and when he does, can give a linebacker a hip move that might free him. What he appears to lack is the speed to break the long ones.

2. Reality bites
The Packers received a serious reality check when camp opened and Donald Driver couldn't pass his physical because of a shoulder injury. Though it is only a minor problem that was expected to keep him out only a few days, Driver showed the Packers just how potentially thin they would be at wide receiver. Driver, 32, is coming off a Pro Bowl season, but he suffered a minor separation to his shoulder late in 2006. The injury didn't heal up enough for him to pass the physical, so this could be a nagging injury all season. Without Driver, who is the team's No. 1 receiver and a personal favorite of Brett Favre, the offense could be in trouble. Greg Jennings looked like one of the best rookie receivers in football last season until he suffered a high ankle sprain that nagged him the final six weeks. Jennings still runs smooth routes, but he admitted he didn't recognize himself in the final weeks of the season when he looked at the game tapes. Robert Ferguson is still around, but he might not make the team. That would mean James Jones, the Packers' third-round choice, would have to step up as the third receiver. Jones uses his hands well and grabs balls out of the air instead of waiting for them to get to his body. Still, the Packers can't afford a serious injury to Driver.

3. Mr. Rodgers' neighborhood
This might not mean much, but word around Packers camp is Aaron Rodgers is ready to be a starting NFL quarterback. That doesn't mean much in Green Bay because Favre is the starting quarterback and he doesn't miss games. Rodgers looks comfortable behind center in practices, but that isn't new. He's looked that way in practices for the past three years. The key is managing the offense in game situations, and that's not happening while Favre is around. Rodgers has to make up the difference in the meeting room and on the scout teams. According to the coaches, Rodgers made the turn this offseason. He seems to be grasping the offense and executing it efficiently. He doesn't have the greatest arm strength, but he can make all of the throws. Should Favre retire after this season, McCarthy and general manager Ted Thompson are convinced Rodgers could take over in 2008.

4. A former weakness is now a strength
A year ago, the offensive line was the team's biggest question mark. Now it's one of the team's strengths. In a move made out of desperation, the Packers developed three rookies along the interior of the offensive line last season. "I think there is a whole different mentality," right tackle Mark Tauscher said. "Two years ago it was different; when the rookies came in, it was kind of patchwork. Now it's like we are building something together." The taller Daryn Colledge is the better pass-blocker, which is why he's at left guard. Jason Spitz is perhaps a better athlete and combines both skills at right guard, and Scott Wells established himself as a solid center. There has to be some long-term concerns at tackle, with Tauscher now 30 years old and left tackle Chad Clifton 31. Of course, there is so much youth on the Packers, the last thing they should worry about is age. This line should be together for two or three more years, which could put it among the best in the league if the players continue to grow together.

5. Who's the new guy?
Little attention would be given to cornerback Frank Walker on any other team. Walker's name is known here because he's the only acquisition (other than draft choices) to join the Packers this offseason. He looks like a solid third corner. Thompson has taken a lot of local and national criticism for doing so little outside of the draft, but the logic is simple: He believes in building through the draft. "People say I don't like free agency, but I like it fine," Thompson said. "I think it's a decent tool, but just to go sign a guy if you don't think he's better than the guy you have just because of name recognition doesn't make any sense." His roster still includes 28 of the 31 draft choices he's selected since taking charge in 2005. Six are now starters, with linebacker A.J. Hawk being the one with Pro Bowl potential.
John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Packnut
08-02-2007, 04:43 PM
Great Favre Article

Favre knows his future is now
By John Clayton
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: August 2, 2007
Comment
Email
Print
GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Five years ago, Brett Favre's daughter tried to help him bridge the generation gap between him and his younger teammates.

Observation deck
The Packers' offensive line has gone from being a weakness to a strength. Check out what else John Clayton observed at Packers camp.
• Observation deck
• Training camp index
She bought him an iPod. Until last year, it stayed in the box.

Seeing an entire locker room of 22- and 23-year-olds chilling to tunes last season, Favre finally opened the box, had his daughter download some songs and headed to the airport to catch the team plane. "Is there actually music in there?" players joked to the new, hipper Favre.

"My cell phone is seven years old," Favre said. "But mine is the only one that works on a daily basis."

It's not easy being Brett Favre these days. He operates in a locker room of young strangers. He knows I formations and X receivers more than he does iPods and Xboxes, and the generation gap within his huddle is growing.

"I have people tell me all the time that they feel for me," Favre said. "They say, 'You don't have any friends.' That's not necessarily true. It's business to me now. I take losses tougher now than I ever did. Most of my career, I didn't have many losses."

Don't misunderstand Favre. He loves the game of football and the Packers. He loves his teammates. Remember, he decided to return and isn't looking back on that choice. Still, it's an adjustment running a huddle filled with kids only four or five years older than his daughter. He didn't create the generation gap, the reconfiguration of Green Bay's roster did.

But make no mistake about Favre's agenda this year. He's focused on only one thing: winning. He hopes everyone is with him because the clock is ticking. Although many believe Favre could play past this season, Favre understands the importance of this year.

"Any more 4-12, 8-8 seasons at my salary, it's time to cut your losses," Favre said. "I hope that doesn't happen."

Favre came back for a 17th season to win, but his return to the Packers may be most ironic occurrence in the NFL this season. He's on a team that is building for the future, and although he could play a few more years, those who know Favre understand his biological clock. His future, at age 37, is now.

With the possible exception of Roger Clemens' tour of the Yankees minor league teams during his prep starts for this year, Favre is in one of the more amazing generation gaps in sports. He's within a couple years of being old enough to be some of his teammates' fathers.

Being hip and young is one thing, but being able to communicate with youth is another. Still, Favre's teammates say it's a fun interaction.

"He's a character," said 23-year-old wide receiver Greg Jennings. "He's great. I love his stories. He never stops."

One has to wonder whether Favre revealed to his young audience what he was like as a 22-year-old. How he was so wild as a rookie the Falcons traded him to Green Bay, giving the Packers a quarterback for the ages. He remembers being young and thinking he could play forever in this league.

While Favre has seemingly played forever, he has also watched so many players who couldn't. Those experiences made him appreciate the importance of now.

"Young guys are thinking like this is going to go on forever," Favre said. "I don't have much time left. I'm here to win."

There were times when it was tough for Favre to fly home after a loss. He'd sit in his seat doing a crossword puzzle to keep busy, but his mind would be racing through the mistakes made in defeat and the corrections needed for the next game. What was worse were some of the sounds he'd hear on those flights home.

"Sometimes coming back on planes you can't tell if we won or lost," Favre said. "You hear some players in the back laughing. I don't question whether or not they care -- I know they do care -- but it's a big difference for me."

While Favre loves the game, he drags through some of the mundane tasks more than he did in the past. He laughs when he sees young players eagerly zipping along for practice. He tells the anecdote of training at his daughter's high school this offseason. Favre would struggle through a workout. When he'd finish, kids would come over and ask if he was going to run with them, prompting a Favre grumble.

"I see guys here running around being energetic," Favre said. "No thanks. I'm just trying to get through the day."

Favre keeps preaching to turn young energy into football efficiency. The offense, after all, doesn't work consistently if mistakes are made at 110 percent effort. He wants his teammates to be accountable and constantly improving.

Although 8-8 isn't Favre's goal, he had his moments last season, and there are still has a few old-school Packers around. Wide receiver Donald Driver, 32, has been around long enough to know what makes Favre tick.

"He's OK if you keep him laughing," Driver said. "I remember a play in the Seattle game last year. I caught his eye on a pass and took it 48 yards for a score. Before he threw it, he looks at me and winks. Having fun is the way to keep him enjoying the game. Once he gets to the point where he doesn't enjoy the game, that's when he will retire."

Though Favre saw some good, he also saw the bad last season. It affects him because he wants to win and mistakes drive him crazy. That, in itself, is funny. Favre used to complain about Mike Holmgren beating him up for mistakes. Now, the 37-year-old sounds Holmgren-like.

Jennings, for example, ran a deep route when he was supposed to run a short hitch. Vikings corner Fred Smoot intercepted Favre's pass to the shorter route and returned it for a touchdown. That throw, toward the end of last season, was one of the nagging interceptions that stayed with him.

"The hardest thing is my focus and their focus are different," Favre said. "I guess in some ways, I was the same way when I was younger. You think you are going to be around forever. After a bad play, you think, 'Oh, well.' I just think I'm here for one reason -- to win."

Camp started tough for Favre. Rocky Byrd, his wife's stepfather whom Favre was very close to, passed away. It forced him to miss a good portion of this week's practice. Favre hated to leave because he wants to practice hard and even wants to play more in the preseason.

He knows the importance of this camp.

"I worry because I don't have any chemistry with the running backs," Favre said. "Noah Herron has been around the longest, but I don't know how much he'll be in there. I don't know if one guy likes the handoff at one angle or another angle. We have such a small window, I need all the time we can get."

Favre just wishes his daughter could download some of those experienced Packers onto his iPod.

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Brandon Jackson is an interesting choice at running back. He had a relatively unknown career at Nebraska and finished the season as a backup.

Actually, Jackson started the year as part of a platoon situation, but became the starter midway through the year.

Packnut
08-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Brandon Jackson is an interesting choice at running back. He had a relatively unknown career at Nebraska and finished the season as a backup.

Actually, Jackson started the year as part of a platoon situation, but became the starter midway through the year.

Technically, Clayton's right. In their Bowl game Lucky carried 25 times and Jackson only 7. There were other games like Mizzou where Lucky had more carries.

Green Bud Packer
08-02-2007, 05:57 PM
double post. keep gettin invalid session pop up

Green Bud Packer
08-02-2007, 05:59 PM

And Morency banged his knee not his shoulder. Clayton may know the english language but he don't know nothing about banging.

GBRulz
08-02-2007, 06:17 PM
That is a great article on Favre.
It's kinda sad that it's getting harder and harder to find players with so much respect for the game. And players who play because they love the game, not because of how much ice they can buy with their new contract.

BallHawk
08-02-2007, 06:30 PM

Technically, Clayton's right. In their Bowl game Lucky carried 25 times and Jackson only 7. There were other games like Mizzou where Lucky had more carries.

I seem to remember Jackson was injured going into that game.

Brandon494
08-02-2007, 06:35 PM
It's kinda sad that it's getting harder and harder to find players with so much respect for the game. And players who play because they love the game, not because of how much ice they can buy with their new contract.

Oh yea like Favre was much different when he first came into the league.

Packnut
08-02-2007, 06:41 PM

I went back to check, could'nt find anything but I'm sure your memory is better than mine. :oops:

woodbuck27
08-02-2007, 06:46 PM

Brett Favre is very special.

Let's all hope that this team gets it together, because a losing season may well send him a bad signal.

I don't like the threat that we are up against a wall. The Packers have to practise well within the system installed by the coaching staff. Come together as a team because we certainly lack experienced talent in our backfield.

GO PACKERS !!

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2007, 07:50 PM

Indeed. He got injured in the game against Oklahoma in the SEC Championship Game.

run pMc
08-03-2007, 09:49 AM
Not to nitpick, but I think Nebraska's in the Big12, not the SEC.
Jackson was hurt.

I'm amused that Clayton say"The taller Daryn Colledge is the better pass-blocker, which is why he's at left guard. Jason Spitz is perhaps a better athlete and combines both skills at right guard, and Scott Wells established himself as a solid center"
I thought Spitz was the supposedly the worst athlete of the three.

National writers.

CaliforniaCheez
08-03-2007, 11:04 AM
Any photo of Spitz will have people thinking about things other than athlete.

One big thing Brett said in his press conference has not been talked about.

Brett said that he had not talked yet about playing time with coach McCarthy. He said it was his opinion that if the team is to have success he has to get more playing time this preseason than any time in the past. He has to get accustomed to playing with the young receivers and they must get accustomed to him.

While Brett may be right, that will be difficult for McCarthy.

Fritz
08-03-2007, 03:49 PM
Not to nitpick, but I think Nebraska's in the Big12, not the SEC.
Jackson was hurt.

I'm amused that Clayton say"The taller Daryn Colledge is the better pass-blocker, which is why he's at left guard. Jason Spitz is perhaps a better athlete and combines both skills at right guard, and Scott Wells established himself as a solid center"
I thought Spitz was the supposedly the worst athlete of the three.

National writers.

Second that. Don't these guys do their homework?

ND72
08-03-2007, 04:11 PM
3. Mr. Rodgers' neighborhood
This might not mean much, but word around Packers camp is Aaron Rodgers is ready to be a starting NFL quarterback. That doesn't mean much in Green Bay because Favre is the starting quarterback and he doesn't miss games. Rodgers looks comfortable behind center in practices, but that isn't new. He's looked that way in practices for the past three years. The key is managing the offense in game situations, and that's not happening while Favre is around. Rodgers has to make up the difference in the meeting room and on the scout teams. According to the coaches, Rodgers made the turn this offseason. He seems to be grasping the offense and executing it efficiently. He doesn't have the greatest arm strength, but he can make all of the throws. Should Favre retire after this season, McCarthy and general manager Ted Thompson are convinced Rodgers could take over in 2008.

I know many aren't big on Rodgers...I have been one that said I didn't care because Favre is our QB, so I'm not judging Rodgers. But everything I've seen of him, a couple OTA's and a Training Camp practice, says he's ready. Seriously. Everything I saw of him at practice had starter written all over him. My worry is, if he has any potential at all to improve and be a star player, is even time has a window on it. If you wait too long, it could be just as bad as starting a player right away that isn't ready.