View Full Version : After family tragedy, Favre ready to 'get on with football'

woodbuck27
08-03-2007, 01:51 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=641996

After family tragedy, Favre ready to 'get on with football'

By LORI NICKEL
lnickel@journalsentinel.com

Posted: Aug. 2, 2007

Green Bay - After attending the funeral services for a close family member Monday and Tuesday, Brett Favre returned to Green Bay on Wednesday to an abandoned Lambeau Field. Everyone else had the day off.

He popped in a video tape from his last practice anyway. Watching football gave Favre more than a distraction. It gave him a purpose.

It doesn't matter how many times Favre has been through heartache in recent years, you just don't get used to funerals and final goodbyes. You can only choose how to deal with the pain. And so, after mourning the loss of his stepfather-in-law, Rocky Byrd, Favre is turning to his work.

On Thursday, Favre conducted his first news conference of the 2007 season and he looked and sounded like a focused quarterback eager to rejoin his Green Bay Packers teammates for training camp, which is a good thing because there is indeed a great deal of work ahead.

"I was ready to get back here and get on with football," Favre said.

"If I wasn't playing, retired, and was at home, it would be much more difficult. . . . But before long someone is going to be chasing me and I am going to be judged on how I play the game, and either I am ready for that or not. As difficult as it may be, I look forward to that."

It wasn't that long ago that Favre would begin these pre-season news conferences by challenging his teammates and even coaches to push for the playoffs and aspire for another Super Bowl; otherwise, what was the point of him being here?

But this August, Favre has many more questions than answers. He wants to find out who his go-to scorers will be so he can start building chemistry and trust with them. He also thinks an inexperienced offense leaves him with little margin of error.

So a cautious and humble Favre embarks on a 17th season in the National Football League with one, basic purpose: to get this team on track again.

That begins at the skill positions, where the Packers have to determine a starting running back, starting fullback, starting tight end and a second and third receiver. Favre doesn't want it to be a game of musical chairs, either, where people just settle in a seat before the music stops. He wants the real talent to emerge.

"We know what Donald Driver gives us, but outside of that, I really don't know," Favre said.

"I do see potential. Now it is up to these guys to step up and make a name for themselves. Earlier in my career, that happened, seemed like every year. Robert Brooks. Antonio Freeman. Mark Chmura. Edgar Bennett. Dorsey Levens. Guys just kind of filled in and made a name for themselves."

Two years ago, the Packers found out just how hard it is to throw well when the running game is non-existent.

So the in-house running back competition will affect Favre immediately. And what of the receivers? Has Greg Jennings, the darling of camp last year, pushed through the rookie wall? Will Robert Ferguson finally have his year?

Favre was asked about promising rookie James Jones.

"He reminds me a lot of Sterling Sharpe. He catches everything with his hands and regardless of where he is, continues to run the ball," Favre said.

"Very athletic, big strong guy who is, to me, confident in catching the ball and continuing in traffic, instead of maybe catching it, cradling it and going down or whatever. I don't know much about him other than his number and what I see from him on the practice field."

There are too many unknowns even for a one-time gambler like Favre, so he will simply try to make the best decisions he can coming out of the huddle and worry about his role.

"More so than any other time in my career, I have to be as sharp as I have ever been," Favre said.

Favre could cut back even more on interceptions.

Last year, he had 18, down from 29 in 2005. The fewest he has ever had in a season is 13.

"We had 33 giveaways last year," offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said.

"The San Diego Chargers led the NFL with 15 giveaways, the fewest. We'd like to be in that 15, 16 range. I mean, no coach says, 'Let's turn the ball over once a game,' but we'd like to average one giveaway a game, so I'd like to get (Favre) down to a dozen (interceptions). We'd love to get single digits. We think it's possible, but if you look at his history, that's not going to be easy and the last couple of years, with the lack of leads that we've had, it makes it even more difficult."

As for the positive points, Favre said his shoulder was fine after he hurt it in June and that he expects the zip to come back to his passes with more practices.

Favre also has confidence in his offensive line, still young in the interior, saying it reminds him of his line from 2000-'04 that dominated the NFC North.

He hopes to play more, not less, in the exhibition games, though he knows coach Mike McCarthy might not see it that way. And he hopes to start developing a rapport with this young offense beginning at the Family Night scrimmage Saturday.

"Every time we're on the field is precious," Favre said.

"I believe we have a short window to gain a lot of chemistry and trust, which we don't have right now."

One thing Favre doesn't seem genuinely motivated for is the record book, a topic that will surely crank up in the coming weeks. He needs just seven touchdown passes to break Dan Marino's record of 420, for example.

"I have no idea what is going to happen this year. I am not going to sit here and make predictions. To be quite honest, more so than ever, the individual things really mean nothin'," Favre said with a shrug.

"If they come, and we win, great. I'd hate to look back at the end of this season and say, 'Well, at least I broke records.' For some people that would be great. For me, it would be a loss. Once again, 20 years from now, if that's all I've got to hang my hat on, that's not very good."

woodbuck27
08-03-2007, 01:56 AM
Packernet Poll

Do you think Brett Favre is still the right quarterback to lead this young team?

Yes - 58% / 468 Votes

No - 5% / 42 Votes

Of course, he just needs some help on offense. - 32% / 256 Votes

No, he should have retired two years ago. - 5% / 43 Votes

Total Votes: 809

woodbuck27
08-03-2007, 02:43 AM
Then he was all our hopes. . .

http://www.angelfire.com/il/packers/images/favre.jpg

Now we appreciate him for ALL he's given us as Packer fans.

http://www.robertlalasz.com/storage/7323_large.jpg

It's him, it's him, it's only him. . .

http://www.robertlalasz.com/storage/gingerbread.jpg

Enjoy him. . . for one day IT will only be this:

http://www.robertlalasz.com/storage/f122206A.jpg

the_idle_threat
08-03-2007, 02:40 PM
Good stuff, Woody! 8-)

woodbuck27
08-03-2007, 02:53 PM
Good stuff, Woody! 8-)

Your the Pic guy. :)