PDA

View Full Version : TRAINING CAMP REPORTS: REVIEWS & ROOKIES PROGRESSES

TopHat
08-04-2007, 10:51 AM
While on tour in northern Wisconsin, TOP HAT came across the Holy Grail Turtle at a mystic river near a green bay under a golden sun. The Turtle looked up at the "reflection" in the waters. He smiled asking TOP HAT, "Bretsky, MTP, Zool, GreenBay007, Rastak, Woodbuck, Ziggy, Packnut etc. are wondering where you are. They are concerned about the rookies, especially Harrell & Clowney....How is the training camp going?" TOP HAT laughed saying, "Clowney is getting mixed reviews, Harrell is just a sluggish project, & Rouse has coverage & hitting skills, but I add insiders' information with early camp impressions for the Packer Rats." The Holy Grail Turtle smiled, looked away to watch the "lady in the lake" holding a "golden hat" mysteriously appear in the flowing river, and returned seeing TOP HAT gone.
__________________________________________________ _______________________________

http://packers.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=664531

[b]The Word: Training Camp Day 7

Tight ends corp getting thinner; Jackson gets more comfortable; Woodson delivers At this rate, offensive tackle Tony Moll will be changing his number by Monday. A former tight end-turned-offensive tackle at the University of Nevada, Moll was forced into some action at tight end in this afternoon's practice at Clarke Hinkle Field. The Packers' tight end corp was narrowed down to two today - Donald Lee and Joe Werner. Tory Humphrey was officially placed on injured reserve today after having ankle surgery Wednesday and Bubba Franks did not practice due to a scratched cornea that he sustained in Tuesday's practice. The injury is severely affecting his vision and could keep him out longer than expected.

Zac Alcorn and Clark Harris both had lights-out practices Thursday night, but couldn’t ride their wave of momentum. The young tight end duo sat out practice today for separate ailments. Alcorn has several foot blisters, according to head coach Mike McCarthy, who said “[Alcorn’s] feet are all screwed up.” Harris has been relatively quiet throughout the first week of camp but seemed invigorated with Brett Favre’s return last night when he snagged five catches in 11-on-11 drills. But he has a minor ankle sprain and expects to be back on the field soon. “I just tweaked my ankle a little bit,” shrugged Harris after practice. “I’ll be back in a few days hopefully. It’s nothing.”

Franks appears doubtful to participate in Saturday's Family Night scrimmage at Lambeau Field. It is likely that Alcorn or Harris, or both, will participate in the scrimmage, which begins at 6:30 p.m. “I have no idea if I’ll play,” Harris said. “I’m taking it day by day. It’s up to the trainers and when they test me. We’ll see how it goes.” Harris is anxious to return to practice. The cobwebs are cleared and his confidence in the offense is rising. “It’s nice to get out there and have some balls thrown to me,” said Harris about last night. “I’ve been out there kind of thinking too much and not really playing my best football. So yesterday I kind of just went out there and let it fly and have some fun. I got open a few times and the quarterbacks found me when I got open.” The absence of this trio left only two tight ends for today- Donald Lee and Joe Werner. Considering Werner still needs instruction from coaches before each play (and was blocking downfield on a passing play once), the offense was really left with only one tight end to operate with.

McCarthy uses tight ends in a multitude of ways, which made today’s practice quite a challenge. “They need to get healthy,” McCarthy said. “We were short so that’s why we adjusted practice at the end. We did more special team work even though we wanted to do some red zone.” With more reps, Lee didn’t disappoint. Favre looked to Lee with regularity today, especially in the team’s red zone drill. Lee showed his underrated quickness on a 16-yard touchdown strike from Favre, leaving a cornerback in the dust on a hard cut to the middle. McCarthy has noticed. Each day Lee appears more like the starter at tight end…and not by default. “I think Donald Lee is having an excellent camp,” said a sincere McCarthy. “He’s playing with a lot of confidence. I think he is a lot more comfortable with what we’re asking him to do. We probably moved him around a little too much last year. So, I think Donald is having an excellent camp.”

Here are some other notes from today’s practice:

Offensive Play of the Day

Brandon Jackson’s struggles in pass protection continued today, but it appears he is starting to run without thinking about when and where to cut. In one 11-on-11 drill, the ball was placed at the offense’s two-yard line. The defense stacked the line but Jackson found a crease off left tackle and blew through it. The whistles were blown after Jackson picked up 14 yards, but he had a full head of steam to bust through the tackle for several more. It’s difficult to judge running backs at training camp with limited or no tackling, but Jackson is improving. As Vernand Morency nurses a knee injury, Jackson is receiving the bulk of the snaps. Fullback Brandon Miree has seen Jackson take the lumps early. But in his view, it will pay off for the rookie. “I think Brandon is making a lot of strides,” said Miree. “There’s no progress without struggling. I think he is getting better and better. I’d like to see him get to the point where he’s not thinking about the plays he has to make and he can just use his natural ability. I think he’ll be coming around pretty soon.”

Defensive Play of the Day

Wide receiver James Jones has glided freely many times across the middle of the field in the first seven days of training camp. Charles Woodson reminded Jones today that in an actual game, short drags near the line of scrimmage don’t come without consequence. Woodson crept toward the line and unloaded on Jones after he caught the ball about five yards downfield. Jones hung onto the ball despite Woodson’s blow.

Stock is Rising

Utility players are hard to find. Every offensive coordinator craves for a player that is athletic enough to be utilized in multiple roles to keep defenses guessing. That is why Chicago converted Devin Hester to wide receiver. Speed, athleticism, and agility can be used in countless ways with the help of a creative coordinator. Rookie David Clowney could be that type of threat. The barely six-foot, 185 pounds he has dropped plenty of passes in camp. Today, however, he made a strong case for a roster spot. During red zone work, Clowney motioned to the right, curled behind Favre and ran a swing route. Favre zipped it to him and Clowney turned on the burners for a 15-yard touchdown. At Virginia Tech, Clowney only returned five kicks in three seasons, but he is competing for that role with the Packers. In today’s kick return work Clowney displayed natural vision. The coverage unit wasn’t at full tilt, but Clowney’s speed gives him an immediate advantage over other Packers receivers. That in itself is worth a roster spot.

Stock is Falling

Dave Rayner and Mason Crosby came back to earth today in their kicking dual. Rayner was 3-for-6, missing from 34, 41, and 44 yards. Crosby went 3-for-5, missing his last two kicks from 41 and 44 yards. (Rayner was given an extra kick because his 41-yard attempt was blocked.) The two combined for four ugly kicks at the end of practice in a mini-competition that won't carry any worth. You can’t bring a sword to a gun fight. “I thought the work within the practice was just OK,” McCarthy said. “It wasn't Dave’s best day, but I threw them a curveball there and it was really a reaction to the tight ends, kind of being down to one guy there at the end. They had their tennis shoes on. That was poor planning on my part.”
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=642382

Friday camp report

THUMBS UP

For those wondering whether veteran Marquand Manuel is going to get tossed out of the starting lineup, consider the play of second-year safety Atari Bigby. At 5 feet 11 inches and 211 pounds, the physical Bigby brings the wood. He has only one interception during camp, but if he wins the job, his role is going to be at the line of scrimmage, punishing running backs. Manuel has not had a bad camp and is orchestrating the defense much better than he did a year ago. He appears to be running better and isn't making as many coverage mistakes. But Bigby has firmly entrenched himself in the safety battle, which is one of the most heated on the team with Marviel Underwood, Tyrone Culver, Charlie Peprah and third-round pick Aaron Rouse in the mix for playing time. Bigby has to continue gaining a grasp of the defense and show he can break on the ball quickly enough to cover receivers in his area, but he has practiced well. Look for him to shine in the first live hitting exercise tonight during the intrasquad scrimmage.

THUMBS DOWN

Poor pass blocking isn't exclusive to rookie running back Brandon Jackson, whose technique in that department is seriously lacking. During a one-on-one blitz drill in which running backs must pick up oncoming linebackers, there was no cover charge at the door. All comers were welcome to hit the quarterback. Although it takes some skill to hold off the likes of Nick Barnett and A.J. Hawk, there clearly is a problem when everybody else starts getting in on the fun. Coach Mike McCarthy said rookies like Jackson, Corey White and Korey Hall will get better with time, but he had to be concerned about rookie free agent Juwan Simpson throwing Jackson aside on one turn, rookie Desmond Bishop juking fullback Ryan Powdrell out of his socks on another and Tim Goodwell knocking White on his backside on another. Halfback Noah Herron and fullback Brandon Miree are the top two blockers, but neither is guaranteed a roster spot, so McCarthy better get that group in shape or he'll have to line his tight ends back there again this season.

INJURY REPORT

Tight ends Zac Alcorn (foot) and Clark Harris (ankle) both missed practice, but McCarthy said he hoped both would be available for the scrimmage. The only tight ends available were starter Donald Lee and recently-signed rookie free agent Joe Werner. Simpson (shoulder) returned to practice.

ODDS AND ENDS

In one-on-one pass-rush drills, right tackle Mark Tauscher continues to win his battles against end Aaron Kampman, the team leader in sacks last season. Tauscher hasn't lost anything as a pass blocker. Whether he has improved as a zone run-blocker won't be known until live action begins.

The best "Brett Favre is back" moment occurred during a team blitz drill in which Favre wound up and hit receiver Greg Jennings on a post pattern for a 22-yard touchdown against cornerback Al Harris. Defensive tackle Johnny Jolly couldn't stay onside during one-on-one pass rush drills. Though he had two pretty good rushes overall, his three offside infractions were inexcusable, given that he's lining up right over the ball. Jennings reached out and caught a fade pass with one hand in the back of the end zone, at the same time getting both feet down during a pass-catching drill.

The days of big guys successfully doing the Lambeau Leap are over, now that the height of the fence around the field is consistent. Fans at the scrimmage Saturday will notice the crown was taken off the field because the new playing surface has a better drainage system, so the landing area just behind the goal post is no longer elevated, thereby making it necessary to actually jump to get into the stands.

SCHEDULE

SATURDAY: The team's annual intrasquad scrimmage begins at 6:30 p.m. Parking is free in the Lambeau parking lot. There will be a picnic in the east parking lot from 2 to 6 p.m., where fans can purchase $1 food items. Lambeau Field gates and the Atrium open at 3:45 p.m. There will be entertainment on the field leading up to the start of the scrimmage. After it's over, the Packers will be giving away 20 jerseys. A fireworks display will conclude the festivities. SUNDAY: No practice. MONDAY: One practice at 2 p.m. Players will be wearing full pads

Bretsky
08-04-2007, 10:54 AM
While our TE's are challenged, reports from ESPN has the Bears first round draft pick Greg Olson excelling right from the start of camp. They are running a lot of two TE set formations that may cause matchup problems if the reports are true.

Bretsky
08-04-2007, 10:55 AM
THUMBS DOWN
Poor pass blocking isn't exclusive to rookie running back Brandon Jackson, whose technique in that department is seriously lacking. During a one-on-one blitz drill in which running backs must pick up oncoming linebackers, there was no cover charge at the door. All comers were welcome to hit the quarterback. Although it takes some skill to hold off the likes of Nick Barnett and A.J. Hawk, there clearly is a problem when everybody else starts getting in on the fun. Coach Mike McCarthy said rookies like Jackson, Corey White and Korey Hall will get better with time, but he had to be concerned about rookie free agent Juwan Simpson throwing Jackson aside on one turn, rookie Desmond Bishop juking fullback Ryan Powdrell out of his socks on another and Tim Goodwell knocking White on his backside on another. Halfback Noah Herron and fullback Brandon Miree are the top two blockers, but neither is guaranteed a roster spot, so McCarthy better get that group in shape or he'll have to line his tight ends back there again this season.

One consistent theme coming from camp reports is that our best back running the ball definitely do not seem to be our best blockers. Hopefully that changes soon

Rastak
08-04-2007, 12:02 PM
THUMBS DOWN

One consistent theme coming from camp reports is that our best back running the ball definitely do not seem to be our best blockers. Hopefully that changes soon

Coaches hate that. If it extends to the season the book will be to blitz Green Bay like crazy.

That is usually the weak point of a rookie running back. They eventually catch on most of the time.

woodbuck27
08-04-2007, 01:53 PM
I'm hoping that RB Brandon Jackson is just having too much to do and learn so early in TC. Did he come to us with a reputation as a RB with a good ability to block?

Let's trust it'll come together but fast.

Nice to read something positive on David Clowney. :)

Can't Aaron Rouse also be plugged in at LBer?

GO PACKERS !!

KYPack
08-04-2007, 02:56 PM
Miree and Herron are almost guaranteed a roster spot based on this info. Rooks have a tough time with NFL pass pro. this is another reason that some more vets should have been brought in. blitz pick=up is a major deal with our vet QB a potential sitting duck.

TopHat
08-04-2007, 03:56 PM
Who starts at strong Safety?

At training camp, the roster battle for the strong safety position is hot with strong competition among the candidates. Silverstein's story about the candidates for the position sums it up:

"For those wondering whether veteran Marquand Manuel is going to get tossed out of the starting lineup, consider the play of second-year safety Atari Bigby. [T]he physical Bigby...has only one interception during camp, but if he wins the job, his role is going to be at the line of scrimmage, punishing running backs. Manuel has not had a bad camp and is orchestrating the defense much better than he did a year ago. He appears to be running better and isn't making as many coverage mistakes. But Bigby has firmly entrenched himself in the safety battle...with Marviel Underwood, Tyrone Culver, Charlie Peprah and third-round pick Aaron Rouse...for playing time. Bigby has to continue gaining a grasp of the defense and show he can break on the ball quickly enough to cover receivers in his area, but he has practiced well...."

The candidates are playing well but no one stands out ahead of the competition. By opening day, the question is whether the filled position is an upgrade to the weak performance of last season.

Early Training Camp Impressions

As Packer fans hoped, the early training camp reports show generally good news and a little bad news. The good news: the offensive line shows “light years” improvement in strength and comfort with growing depth; TE Bubba Franks seems to be the old Bubba redux for our West Coast offense; rookie WR James Jones is getting rave reviews making fans hope for a 1Driver, 2Jennings, & 3Jones receiving corps scoring combo; the defense looks solid with competition creating depth & quality among positions including the questionable positions of nickel back, dime back, and strong safety; backup QB Rodgers has looked sharp; & generally rookies are progressing giving hope that they make immediate productive offensive & defensive impacts.

The little bad news: highly touted 1st round rookie DT Justin Harrell looks sluggish seeing limited action; concerns about the endurance & depth of our running backs with injured veteran Morency out & 2nd round rookie RB Brandon Jackson progressing but struggling in pass protection; at last night’s evening session, missing leader QB Favre, the offense looked rusty & sloppy in the two minute drills & red zone drills; and the injury bug has hit Morency, Humphrey, and a growing walking wounded raising depth concerns.

TopHat
08-04-2007, 04:13 PM
http://packers.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=664623

Early training camp impressions

One week has elapsed since the Packers opened training camp and many things have happened already — good and bad. Some of the good includes rookie wide receiver James Jones making a positive impression, while one of the negatives was two defensive tackles reporting to camp out of shape. With this in mind, here are some notable developments through the first week of camp. Vernand Morency injured: He started camp as the team's No. 1 halfback but a knee injury could sideline him for most of training camp. This opens the door for second-round pick Brandon Jackson to become the starter. Jackson better be everything the Packers say he is when they drafted him. If not, and if Morency is out a while, the running back position becomes a serious issue. Knowing this, general manager Ted Thompson said he's not shopping around for a veteran like former Packers Tony Fisher, just in case. “Obviously we're disappointed Vernand is not going to be able to play in maybe the first couple of preseason games,” said Thompson. “We'll see how he goes after that. We also have some young fellows here we need to see play, and need to see practice, so that affords them an opportunity.”

James Jones: The third-round pick from powerhouse San Jose State (just kidding) has opened eyes so far. What does this mean? Nothing. Even if Jones performs well in the team scrimmage tonight he needs to step up against an opponent's top defensive backs, not training camp bodies. Hopefully the first preseason game at Pittsburgh will afford him a chance. Nonetheless, it's good to see a draft pick making strides, no matter the situation.

Kicking game: Incumbent Dave Rayner and sixth-round pick Mason Crosby are locked in a battle to be the kicker. Both have done OK so far, but the preseason will determine who sticks. Not only is making field goals a priority (Rayner was 74 percent last season), so is kicking off consistently to at least the 5-yard line. If they both match each other in field goal opportunities, kickoffs will be the determining factor. Keep an eye on it.

Pickett/Jolly: Ryan Pickett and Johnny Jolly, two defensive tackles, showed up at camp out of shape and failed physicals. Pickett, a proven veteran, wasn't much of a worry for the Packers, believing their starter would be fine. Still, as a leader of the defensive line, don't you want to set examples? Make that good examples. Meanwhile, Jolly, who's in a fight to stay employed, shows up like he just came back from Burger King. If it comes down to him and another player for a final spot, his approach to start camp could cost him. It's not like he didn't know when camp started.

Donald Driver: The Packers' No. 1 wide receiver failed his physical due to shoulder injury, but he returned after a few missed days. Knowing the Packers' are thin at wide receiver, they should take this approach to the preseason with him: Sit him the first and fourth preseason games and play him in the other two. He's a 32-year-old veteran, who has good chemistry with Brett Favre. Also, he's invaluable in the passing game. Without him, the Packers are up the creek, something they need to avoid.

Offensive line: Remember last year when camp started and there was daily talk about the offensive line? We hear little of that now, as the youth added to the interior part of the line improved steadily in 2006, making this a position of strength. Knowing the offense is limited at the skill positions, it's imperative the line performs well to give Favre and Co. every chance to succeed. The line finished off 2006 strong and must start this year the same.

Charles Woodson: The veteran cornerback played through a shoulder injury last season and even returned punts. This year, through one week, the crafty vet has yet to sit out practice for an injury. This is a surprise. He comes off as a player who doesn't need all these practices and you would expect him to suffer a phantom hamstring injury at some point. So far, no injury. Still, it'll be wise for the Packers to monitor his playing and practice time, as would be with Al Harris, as these two are indispensable on defense. Their health is an enormous concern.