PDA

View Full Version : SI : Training camp postcard: Packers

packers11
08-04-2007, 05:18 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/08/04/packers.camp/index.html

Training camp postcard: Packers

Posted: Saturday August 4, 2007 2:21AM; Updated: Saturday August 4, 2007 2:24AM
Where's Peter

At the Green Bay Packers camp, headquartered at Lambeau Field, with practices on the pristine grass field across Oneida Street at Clark Hinkle Field. There's been a slight shift this year in the way the players ride bikes across the street to and from practice. Some of the offensive and defensive linemen, instead of taking the bikes, now simply hand their shoulder pads and helmets to the eagerly waiting kids, and the kids park their bikes and walk across the street with their heroes. Good idea. I mean, would you want Ryan Pickett, all 322 pounds of him, on your little Schwinn?

Five Things I Think
1. I think Brett Favre looks fairly nimble at 219 pounds at age 37 after an off-season of five workouts a week focused on core strength and movement training. He scrambled in the pocket out of trouble once this afternoon, avoiding defensive end Jason Hunter, and found Charles Lee in the end zone for a touchdown throw.

2. I think the big weakness on this team -- and I mean big -- is going to be finding a running back to carry the load with Ahman Green departed to Houston in free-agency. The man entering camp seemed to be Vernand Morency, but he could be out three weeks with a tweaked knee. Last year's second-round pick, Brandon Jackson of Nebraska, will compete with Morency for the job when the latter returns from the injury, with Noah Herron the favorite for third-down duty.

3. I think, by the way, Green Bay's problems in the backfield would have been solved had Marshawn Lynch slipped down a few spots in the first round. You think this team wouldn't have jumped on the versatile Cal running back instead of defensive tackle Justin Harrell? Lynch would have been their guy in a heartbeat.

4. I think James Jones, the third-round wideout from Fresno State, is miles ahead of the other drafted receiver, David Clowney of Virginia Tech. Jones has terrific hands, and you can't overthrow him.

5. I think the Packers are one of the few teams in football who can say they have an embarrassment of riches at defensive tackle. The unknown one who looked best this afternoon at practice: knifingly strong 312-pounder Johnny Jolly, a sixth-round pick last year.

Did You Know?
The Packers have the longest current winning streak in the NFC -- four games. They went 4-0 down the stretch last year, and haven't lost since Dec. 3, a 38-10 home thrashing by the Jets.

On The Menu
As training tables go, this one could have been run by Mario Batali. What a spread the Packers put on for their employees one Friday a month, complete with cupcakes and ice cream, celebrating employees' birthdays for August. Luckily, that one Friday was this one, and I stumbled into it.

My grade -A

Fare: romaine lettuce with shredded carrots, cukes and mushrooms, topped with sliced roasted chicken breast and a balsamic dressing. One slice of roasted pork loin. Tender. Mouth-watering. Lemon water. It's the kind of meal that makes you ask: Are we in a $55-a-head Manhattan bistro on the third floor of the Packers' atrium at Lambeau Field?

Camp Confidential
I was down, quite down, on the Packers' signing of cornerback Charles Woodson a year ago, because I thought he mailed it in too often with the Raiders. I was wrong. He was an excellent signing, a good value, and a very good match for

It's football fashionable, and perhaps correct, to say that the best pair of corners in the division are Chicago's Nathan Vasher and Charles Tillman. I'm not so sure. Whereas the other day I saw Bernard Berrian run past Vasher a couple of times (there is no shame in that, by the way; Berrian in lightning-fast and will have a terrific year), nobody ran past Al Harris and Woodson this afternoon. And on one play that caused the crowd in the bleachers on Oneida to "ooooh" and "aaaah" when Jones caught a pass over the middle and Woodson, in a drill permitting contact but not tackling, shouldered Jones hard and sent him careening to the ground.

I love how Harris plays. He loves football and plays it with verve and aggression. And he told me afterward what he's learned about Woodson in their year together is that Woodson might not show it to the public, but he's just as passionate about the game. That helped Woodson pick off a team-high eight passes last year, several on unlikely, very athletic catches. "Very smart player, very intense player,'' said Harris. "We get along great. We'll be friends long after football is over. He's a very unselfish player too. I want to be on the best receiver on every play, and all he's concerned about is what's best for the team. He has the same kind of pride I do.''

I didn't see that late in his Oakland career. I saw it a lot last year, and again this afternoon.

MJZiggy
08-04-2007, 05:24 PM
'Kay, but who the hell is Charles Lee? Did he mean Donald Lee or can Bretsky get rid of his sig?

BallHawk
08-04-2007, 06:43 PM
'Kay, but who the hell is Charles Lee? Did he mean Donald Lee or can Bretsky get rid of his sig?

There used to be a player in Green Bay called Charles Lee. I'm assuming King got mixed up and meant Donald Lee.

CaliforniaCheez
08-04-2007, 07:11 PM
Last year's second round pick Jackson didn't do much for the Pack last year.