woodbuck27
08-04-2007, 11:34 PM
http://www.packerpalace.com/links.html

Blackmon, Bush distinguish selves
CBs are impressive during scrimmage

By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com

Posted: Aug. 4, 2007

Green Bay - There was a breakthrough in the crowded field behind Green Bay Packers starting cornerbacks Al Harris and Charles Woodson on Saturday night.

A pair of second-year cornerbacks whom the Green Bay Packers have had high hopes for this off-season stood out during the team's intrasquad scrimmage at Lambeau Field, the team's first live-tackling event of the summer.

Will Blackmon and Jarrett Bush will sleep soundly after striking iron in a heated race to become the No. 3 cornerback in the Packers' secondary. Easily the two best athletes of the group fighting for position, Bush and Blackmon made the best of their live opportunity.

"I was excited," said Blackmon, who had three tackles, an interception and pass broken up.

"This week of practice was a little bit shaky, so I had to turn it on in game time. Fortunately, I showed them I can do my stuff."

As a whole, it was a good night for the No. 1 defense, which held the No. 2 offense, led by backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers, to 16 yards on two series totaling 12 plays. The lone black mark was a 19-yard pass-interference penalty committed by safety Marquand Manuel that kept the second drive alive.

Rodgers drove the offense 71 yards on nine plays against a combination of 1s and 2s in the third live period, but he had to settle for a field goal after Bush broke up a sharp throw to receiver Ruvell Martin in the corner of the end zone.

The No. 1s let starting quarterback Brett Favre dink and dunk them during the 2-minute drill portion of the scrimmage until the offense made it down to the 39-yard line. A questionable pass-interference call on linebacker A.J. Hawk, who seemed to have blanket coverage on tight end Donald Lee, got the offense to the 22.

But the defense held when Favre either misread a coverage or had a bad route run on him and safety Nick Collins picked off his pass in the end zone. Collins returned the interception 63 yards.

Bush has been having a very solid camp and got a chance to start alongside Patrick Dendy when coach Mike McCarthy decided to give Harris and Woodson the night off. It was clearly a calculated move on his part so he could get a good long look at his backups.

Blackmon, meanwhile, made the biggest leap of any cornerback. He had started out slowly in training camp but came out ready to play both at wide cornerback and in the slot in nickel situations.

Lining up with the No. 2s opposite veteran Frank Walker, Blackmon broke up a third-down pass to Robert Ferguson on third and 3 on his first series. Then after the offense converted and later faced a fourth and 8 from the defense's 47, Blackmon had excellent coverage on Ferguson's corner route and forced an incomplete pass.

He had two interceptions in the scrimmage against the No. 3 offense, the first of which was negated when a coverage penalty was called on another player. But he ended a drive by jumping an out route and picking off fourth-string quarterback Paul Thompson late in the scrimmage.

After moving from cornerback to wide receiver his senior year at Boston College, the fourth-round pick missed almost all of last season with foot and rib injuries and struggled with some injuries during the off-season. But all along the Packers thought he had the size and athletic ability to be one of their top young cornerbacks.

"Last year was like a redshirt year for me," Blackmon said.

"Last year, I made my transition from wide receiver back to cornerback, so that was pretty tough. It was unfortunate I had that year off, but it also helped transform me back to a defensive back."

Bush, meanwhile, didn't disappoint during his starting opportunity. He gave up a 5-yard crossing route to rookie receiver James Jones and was in good position to defend receiver Ferguson when Manuel made early contact and drew his penalty. He allowed running back Noah Herron to slip his tackle on a pass in the flat during the 2-minute drill but otherwise was up to the task of starting on the left side.

"I made some plays on the ball and I made some tackles," said Bush, who had one tackle and pass broken up.

"I'm busting my butt trying to get there. I have to keep working and keep grinding. I have to keep working and pushing. Just being a (rookie) free agent (last year), nobody is guaranteed everything, so I have to keep working."

GO PACKERS !

Bretsky
08-05-2007, 12:24 AM
Great news on Bush and Blackmond

woodbuck27
08-05-2007, 12:32 AM
Great news on Bush and Blackmond

Yup. :)

Lurker64
08-05-2007, 12:44 AM
I will be very encouraged if our youth at CB can develop into depth at CB. I was originally petrified about life without both Harris and Woodson, but some of the young guys look to be stepping it up. Hopefully our tandem will be intact and productive for years to come, but it's good to know that the nickel position (which is important!) has some guys stepping up.

Scott Campbell
08-05-2007, 08:48 AM
I will be very encouraged if our youth at CB can develop into depth at CB. I was originally petrified about life without both Harris and Woodson, but some of the young guys look to be stepping it up. Hopefully our tandem will be intact and productive for years to come, but it's good to know that the nickel position (which is important!) has some guys stepping up.

True story. It may not be such a big deal for this year, but those two guys eventually will need to be replaced at about the same time. With quality depth comes a shorter shopping list heading into free agency periods.

Guiness
08-05-2007, 09:26 AM
Seems like two different guys are leading the races for #3CB and nickel back.

Those a are usually the same guy, aren't they? But Dendy is most often mentioned at nickel back, and Walker's name seems to come up as #3CB.

Brandon494
08-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Isnt it great to finally have depth. :D

HarveyWallbangers
08-05-2007, 12:55 PM
We don't know if we have depth yet. One good or bad scrimmage doesn't prove it one way or the other.

woodbuck27
08-05-2007, 03:50 PM
We don't know if we have depth yet. One good or bad scrimmage doesn't prove it one way or the other.

This is encouraging news only fr. a standpoint of depth.Too early to tell what's real.

Cheesehead Craig
08-05-2007, 03:56 PM
One caveat on their performances. Notice who was highlighted that they stopped the most often: Ferguson. That guy cannot run a route to save his ass and these guys victimized a WR that likely will be cut. Great to see the confidence building there, but it's not like that they stopped anyone of consequence.

woodbuck27
08-05-2007, 04:13 PM
One caveat on their performances. Notice who was highlighted that they stopped the most often: Ferguson. That guy cannot run a route to save his ass and these guys victimized a WR that likely will be cut. Great to see the confidence building there, but it's not like that they stopped anyone of consequence.

TT may as well cut RF right now for all we are seing.

It's time.